NOW do they fire Ward?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHARAWINSTHENORRIS. Show CHARAWINSTHENORRIS's posts

Re: NOW do they fire Ward?

Let's see, we lose a 7 game series with every single game decided by 1 goal, and 4 of them in OT. Gee, do you think we might've fared a bit better with an extra PP goal or two? I think with even one more PP goal, we'd be playing next week. Ward is the reason the Bruins are cleaning out their stalls while the Caps prepare to play on. Bye bye, Geoff, have a good time stocking shelves at the Jiffy Mart.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

Comparing power plays with the Caps it looks like high school vs juniors.

B's PP they can hardly catch up with the puck long enough to get a shot from the point, then out.  Then in, then out, in, out, etc. for the remaining time, with the Bs getting plenty of practice "rushing" the puck up ice.

Caps PP is all PP all the time, with the B's chasing Caps' players and passes all around the zone, TT sprawling hither and yon, fans gasping, etc.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kitchener. Show kitchener's posts

In Response to Re: NOW do they fire Ward?:
    You have to. It's quite clear that it is the system, not the players.
    Posted by kelvana33

Yes teams with good power play's don't just get the puck to the point for the shot,actually they very rarley shoot from the point,the point man just cycle the puck keep it moving until some one get's open

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

I was unaware they HAD a PP strategy except passing to Chara.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

I have a few questions.

What's taking them so long ?
    Did they send his pink slip via pigeon mail ?
    When's the announcement of his firing ?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

No news ?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

The Bruins top-5 in PP TOI for the regular season:
    Peverley- 2:44
    Chara- 2:39
    Seidenberg- 2:36
    Horton- 2:32
    Bergeron- 2:31

Peverley's 2:44 ranked 142nd in the NHL in PP TOI. 

Who were the team's leading goal scorers again?  Seguin, Marchand & Lucic.

Seguin ranked 181st in the NHL in PP TOI
    Lucic ranked 217th in the NHL in PP TOI
    Marchand ranked 227th in the NHL in PP TOI

Whoever is responsible for those TOI stats ought to be held accountable.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

The Bruins top-5 in PP TOI for the regular season: Peverley- 2:44 Chara- 2:39 Seidenberg- 2:36 Horton- 2:32 Bergeron- 2:31 Peverley's 2:44 ranked 142nd in the NHL in PP TOI.  Who were the team's leading goal scorers again?  Seguin, Marchand & Lucic. Seguin ranked 181st in the NHL in PP TOI Lucic ranked 217th in the NHL in PP TOI Marchand ranked 227th in the NHL in PP TOI Whoever is responsible for those TOI stats ought to be held accountable.
    Posted by Crowls2424

That's what drove me crazy.  I like Peverley but it was so obvious he at the point was not working.  So with every failed PP from the end of the regular season till the 1st round the PP was not working but they kept Peverley doing the same thing over and over even if it was not working.
    Put him on the side wall if you feel he's made to be on the PP.
    When they got Rolston and he started putting up points and it all started as he played the point on PP.  The PP actually looked good because the guy had a great release and opened up the other point man. Then as soon as Peverley got back from injury it was the end of Rolston at the point. 
    Just bad decisions and I agree with you 100% someone hs to be help accountable.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Babajingo. Show Babajingo's posts

I just couldn't believe they never adjusted.  It was obvious that Wash knew thier plan of getting the puck back to the point.  It allowed them to press the forwards farther to the point.  Resulting in pressuring the Dmen and blocking shots that took forever to take.

They should have adjusted and cycled the center/offside forwards to the middle of the ice (behind the pressing forwards).  They never did,  they just kept trying to force it to the point.

Don't know who is to blame for that, I'm sure its a combination of coaches and players.  Also, I'm sure they have a better hockey IQ than I.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

We went through this last year - I think CJ relies on Ward for more than just the PP, so he's not likely to get fired for the PP ineptitude.  Rather than fire him, hire a PP strategist to do that part of the job.  It means adding a salary to the coaching staff.  Pretty sure they can afford that.

They don't need to overhaul the roster to be better on the PP, but it will take a change of system to prove that because Krejci has played under this system his entire NHL career and never been very good on the PP, while Bergeron had 26 PPG in the two years before Jones, and before CJ.  They just need to be more dynamic, and it looks like that's being coached out of them.  They look over-coached.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: NOW do they fire Ward? : Yes teams with good power play's don't just get the puck to the point for the shot,actually they very rarley shoot from the point,the point man just cycle the puck keep it moving until some one get's open
    Posted by kitchener

Actually the Preds have the NHL's best PP and they constantly have Weber and Suter loading up from the point.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

We went through this last year - I think CJ relies on Ward for more than just the PP, so he's not likely to get fired for the PP ineptitude.  Rather than fire him, hire a PP strategist to do that part of the job.  It means adding a salary to the coaching staff.  Pretty sure they can afford that. They don't need to overhaul the roster to be better on the PP, but it will take a change of system to prove that because Krejci has played under this system his entire NHL career and never been very good on the PP, while Bergeron had 26 PPG in the two years before Jones, and before CJ.  They just need to be more dynamic, and it looks like that's being coached out of them.  They look over-coached.
    Posted by Bookboy007

Fair enough.  I'm not concerned that Ward is unemployed, just that he is "fired" from his responsibilities on the PP.  While it doesnt seem the B's have the talent for a PP, there's simply no reason for them to look embarrassing to the point of actually not wanting your team to go on the PP in the first place.

The failure at the end of the Washington game obviously overstates the problem, but it wasnt just the fact they failed to score a series winning late PP goal when they had the chance.  Its the fact they never even carried it over the blue line, set up and gave it a shot.  It was humiliating.

I honestly dont know what else Ward also brings to the table. Ill assume CJ/B's would keep him around for some good reason other than loyalty.

There's just no good reason a professional team would not address this glaring issue that goes back over a couple years. I never understood why it would be ignored entirely just because they got away with it on their Cup run.

This reminds me of watching the Red Wings. The team is terrible in their own end, having trouble safely passing out of the defensive zone and committing costly turnovers on a regular basis. Its easy for Babcock to ignore it because they are so talented they get away with it. This year it helped eliminate them. The practice of not fixing glaring weaknesses just because they haven't burned you yet makes no sense to me.

CJ needs to make a PP coaching adjustment and PC needs to think about a PP personnel upgrade. That might be easier said than done.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

Nashville had a 3 point 3 slot setup the other night.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Nashville had a 3 point 3 slot setup the other night.
    Posted by 86redsox

Usually they'll have all 3 forwards working down near the goal line and this is what opens up the D for good looks from the point. Weber actually led them in PP goals. The Bruins were just too happy to just work it around the outside until forced to make a low percentage play.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In Response to Re: NOW do they fire Ward? : Usually they'll have all 3 forwards working down near the goaline and this is what opens up the D for good looks from the point. Weber actually led them in PP goals. The Bruins were just too happy to just work it around the outside until forced to make a low percentage play.
    Posted by dezaruchi

And all the while the odd man advantage is ticking away.  The opposition must love this, dez. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

We went through this last year - I think CJ relies on Ward for more than just the PP, so he's not likely to get fired for the PP ineptitude.  Rather than fire him, hire a PP strategist to do that part of the job.  It means adding a salary to the coaching staff.  Pretty sure they can afford that. They don't need to overhaul the roster to be better on the PP, but it will take a change of system to prove that because Krejci has played under this system his entire NHL career and never been very good on the PP, while Bergeron had 26 PPG in the two years before Jones, and before CJ.  They just need to be more dynamic, and it looks like that's being coached out of them.  They look over-coached.
    Posted by Bookboy007

Interesting idea.  Maybe not a coincidence that on the broadcast of the Flyer/Devil they talked a little about the role Joe Mullen plays in PP design and philosophy for the Flyers.  This was following Giroux's 3rd period goal, a great PP with great movement culminating in a bomb from the LW circle by CG.

I know the Flyers have some great personal up front, but they have great approach as well, both puck and player movement.  19.7% in the regular season and an absurd 44.8% thus far in the playoffs.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

In Response to Re: NOW do they fire Ward? : Interesting idea.  Maybe not a coincidence that on the broadcast of the Flyer/Devil they talked a little about the role Joe Mullen plays in PP design and philosophy for the Flyers.  This was following Giroux's 3rd period goal, a great PP with great movement culminating in a bomb from the LW circle by CG. I know the Flyers have some great personal up front, but they have great approach as well, both puck and player movement.  19.7% in the regular season and an absurd 44.8% thus far in the playoffs.
    Posted by Crowls2424

Maybe its TV, but it just seems like Philly plays at 100 MPH all the time, 5 on 5, PK, PP... I just have to like that team. (except for the gaping hole in goal)

Of course, Briere and Giroux just might make anyone's PP look better.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In Response to Re: NOW do they fire Ward? : Wait a minute now,  they players have part of the blame here . Peverley at the point was a big mistake and having Lucic reeling and dealing on the side wall was another.  Lucic's position on a PP should only be in front of the net and/or the high slot. I'll only give about 20% of the blame to the players for poor decisions they made BUT the players were put into place by Ward, he deserves 80% of the blame. If they feel bad and don't want to fire him put in charge of the PK, because that's exactly what the PP was, killing time.
    Posted by BsLegion

You know, I never got the reason why Peverley was on the point either. His shot is not feared and he doesn't take one often so it was kind of a Kaberle situation where you knew he was always looking to pass. He would have been more effective on the half boards. And, yeah, Lucic should be right in front of the net daring the Dmen to move him. Just baffling. Oh well.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

If they really want to place Lucic in front of the net on the PP, he's going to have to get better at playing with his back to the goalie.  He isn't much for tipping shots, and he doesn't track the rebound fast enough to be a Tim Kerr jamming home the garbage. 

I recall that the PP surged when Peverley first moved to the point largely because he would skate with the puck, walk the blueline, move down the wall - all of that causing the whole set up to shift and rotate in response.  He stopped doing it.  Was he told not to?  Or was it just a question of forgetting what had been working when he went down to injury?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucicfan. Show lucicfan's posts

Maybe the should just hire Savard as the PP coach, they are paying him already. just kidding I wish he would come back at 100% though. I miss him finding seams that nobody else even sees. Cooke you P.O.S.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Posted by Bookboy007

I agree with you they won't make him the scapegoat but he should get other responsibilities .

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Nice entry Book, Tim Kerr als Phil Esposito could handle even the slightess of rebounds, or short passes in front of the opposing net.  Lucic is pure jam, he fits well with Horton for he is more adept at putting the shot on net.  Lucic is pure and simple a spacer maker!  Hire Recchi to teach Lucic!

Sections
Shortcuts