Now its completed, the last word on the Phil Kessel trade is....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Re: Now its completed, the last word on the Phil Kessel trade is....

Phil will be hearing the " thank you Kessel " chant for many years to come when he plays in Boston.Who knows he could be traded to his third team and still hear it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Funny thing about this is now TO fans are including the Kaberle trade in this discussion and now saying that Burke fleeced PC overall. Read some of these commentaries:

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/scott_cullen/?id=369886

Delusional people.....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mxt. Show mxt's posts

NAS - I was actually responding to the previous quote about the best Bruin trades ever. You hardly ever hear about that trade but it was a complete fleecing of the Rangers.
    n Response to Re: Now its completed, the last word on the Phil Kessel trade is....:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Now its completed, the last word on the Phil Kessel trade is.... : How many Cups did that bring to Boston?
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from john6345. Show john6345's posts

Hey Not-A- Shot how many cups does fat Phil have?.Are you another closet Kessel fan.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Now its completed, the last word on the Phil Kessel trade is....:
    [QUOTE]Two of the guys picked haven't played a day in the NHL, and the one that has shuffled between the fourth line and the press box...while Kessel played on the first line and connected with 32 goals and 32 assists. If this is the final word, the Leafs came out way on top of this deal. Let's give the Knight a few years possibly to make it to the NHL (he may or may not) and let's give Hamilton time possibly to make it to the NHL (he may or may not) and let's give Seguin time to put up better offensive numbers than Kessel (he may or may not) and then we'll decide which team gets to say "Hahahahaha".
    If this is the final word, the Stanley Cup means Boston won the deal. I'm comfortable with laughing already. Hell, seeing Brian Burke's face after Seguin and Hamilton were drafted was funny enough on it's own.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from riptide757. Show riptide757's posts

Kessel wanted out and Chia is great! the debt on this team is very very very impressive.....Back to back???

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from riptide757. Show riptide757's posts

Who needs Joe''thorton'''colburn?..... not the Bruins that's for sure......FORWARD DEBT =  Caron.....Spooner......Knight......Kohkhalchev.......Arniel........Whitfeild.......DEFENSE DEBT = Kampfer........ Hamilton..... Valabic.......Alexandrov.......Cohen......Bartowski............THIS TEAM IS SET FOR YEARS...........CHIA JUST MIGHT BE GOD!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

In Response to Re: Now its completed, the last word on the Phil Kessel trade is....:
    [QUOTE]I love how Leafs fans try to fold the Kaberle trade into the Kessel trade in order to make Burke seem like he didnt get fleeced. With only the original components considered, Ill make that trade 1000 more times. Way to go Chia! Let's Go Bruins!! (2012)
    Posted by Sportsnutty[/QUOTE]

I know.  The spin in Toronto has been typically sickening but this year I don't care because we have the Cup and they are 44 years and counting.  Spin that Toronto media!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

I know there are some important nuances associated with the Kessel trade, cap impact, player attitude, etc., but in the end it will be measured by the performance of the four players involved:

Bruins
    Seguin
    Knight
    Hamilton

Leafs
    Kessel

I tend to agree with NAS & BadHab and I am sure we will be checking in this one for years.  Right now, Kessel is the best player in the trade based on 2010-11 performance, with the Bruins having a heavy advantage in the future potential bucket. Stay tuned.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

OK, so I'm not patient enough to wait 3-5-7 years to pronounce the absolute judgement on this, so let's use one basis, although arbitrary, as a comparison - and that's only the draft spot

The deal was this.
    Bruins traded a #5
    for the following year's 2nd & 32nd
    next years 9th

OK, since it's hard if not impossible to find a #5 pick equivalent to Phil, let's forget that part, but let's look at past years for who the picks 2, 32  and then next year's 9 would be for the #5.

So... going back 10 years
    1999 #5 Tim Connolly
    for
    2000 #2 Heatley,  #32 Tomas Kurka (nobody)
    2001 #9 Tuomo Ruutu

2000 #5 Raffi Torres
    for
    2001 #2 Spezza #32 Derek Roy
    2002 #9 Taticek (nobody)

2001 #5 Chistov
    for
    2002 #2 Kari Lehtonen #32 Janos Vas (nobody)
    2003 #9 Phaneuf

Yah, if you want to get back to Kessel specific, Kessel is better than most #5 recent picks, but then again, Seguin is better than most #2's already, Knight and Hamilton...  already sound better than Vas, Taticek and Kurka's stats, yikes.  Taticek dropped to -14 his last year in jr.  Kurka dropped off in last year of jr and Vas, I see nothing in his stats that say 'draft me'. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Don't you need to use the appropriate draft year lead time in your examples?

For example:
    2003 #5 Vanek
    2007 # 2 JVR
    2007 #32 Brett McLean
    2008 #9 Josh Bailey

or

2002 #5 Ryan Whitney
    2006 # 2 Jordan Staal
    2006 #32 Carl Sneep
    2007 #9 Logan Couture

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]Don't you need to use the appropriate draft year lead time in your examples? For example: 2003 #5 Vanek 2007 # 2 JVR 2007 #32 Brett McLean 2008 #9 Josh Bailey or 2002 #5 Ryan Whitney 2006 # 2 Jordan Staal 2006 #32 Carl Sneep 2007 #9 Logan Couture
    Posted by Crowls2424[/QUOTE]

OK, I take your point, but it is all working out the same in that anybody in their right mind would do these deals all week long and twice on Sundays.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

[QUOTE]Kessel for Seguin, Spooner, Hamilton, and CAP SPACE TO SIGN HORTON F-ckin aye !!
    Posted by olsonstephanie[/QUOTE]

"Well said Olson" !!!  Go B's Go !!!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I'm not a closet kessel fan, i actually loved watching him play while he was here. Absolutley terrific talent, top 5 wrist shot and speed to burn. The Leafs wanted him and paid a price for him. Does he have his issues? Sure, from what i hear most of them are in the locker room. I truly hope the Bruins got the better end of the transaction,and a Cup helps lean it one way but lets be honest, theres no way to tell that right now. Alot of hockey left in all involved.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Now its completed, the last word on the Phil Kessel trade is....:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Now its completed, the last word on the Phil Kessel trade is.... : How many Cups did that bring to Boston? Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

If Boston had Ken "I like to pat the other teams players bottoms after they make great play" Hodge and didn't have Nifty the Bs don't go deep in the 77', 78' and '79 playoffs. We could start with goaltending and coaching before pointing to Middleton.

Please answer Fletch's question, Do the Bruins get out of the Tampa series without Seguin ?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

[QUOTE]Two of the guys picked haven't played a day in the NHL, and the one that has shuffled between the fourth line and the press box...while Kessel played on the first line and connected with 32 goals and 32 assists. If this is the final word, the Leafs came out way on top of this deal. Let's give the Knight a few years possibly to make it to the NHL (he may or may not) and let's give Hamilton time possibly to make it to the NHL (he may or may not) and let's give Seguin time to put up better offensive numbers than Kessel (he may or may not) and then we'll decide which team gets to say "Hahahahaha".
    NO...NO...NO...You don't really believe this do you?
    I remember a year or two ago, having to sift through endless posts, by YOU, about the winner of ANY trade, is the team that WINS THE STANLEY CUP.
    I even remember asking you, if the Bruins win the cup before San Jose, does that mean that Boston got the better deal in the Joe Thornton trade, and you said, YES.
    So, which is it? Were you bullshItting us then, or now?
       All during this past season, a lot of people were down on this team, but you were usually positive, and happily pointing out to the negative posters, how wrong they were.
    Now the team are champs, everyone is excited, and your happily pointing out to the positive posters, how wrong they are.
    Do you even believe what you post, or do you just like to argue with people?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Please answer Fletch's question, Do the Bruins get out of the Tampa series without Seguin ?
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

There is no answer to that question.  It's unknown. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Now its completed, the last word on the Phil Kessel trade is.... : NO...NO...NO...You don't really believe this do you? I remember a year or two ago, having to sift through endless posts, by YOU, about the winner of ANY trade, is the team that WINS THE STANLEY CUP. I even remember asking you, if the Bruins win the cup before San Jose, does that mean that Boston got the better deal in the Joe Thornton trade, and you said, YES. So, which is it? Were you bullshItting us then, or now?    All during this past season, a lot of people were down on this team, but you were usually positive, and happily pointing out to the negative posters, how wrong they were. Now the team are champs, everyone is excited, and your happily pointing out to the positive posters, how wrong they are. Do you even believe what you post, or do you just like to argue with people?
    Posted by biggskye[/QUOTE]

I see your point, Bigskye.

I officially change my tune.

B's.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Now its completed, the last word on the Phil Kessel trade is.... : I see your point, Bigskye. I officially change my tune. B's.
    I wonder if Hitler has his skates with him as it appears that Hell has frozen over.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Now its completed, the last word on the Phil Kessel trade is.... : I wonder if Hitler has his skates with him as it appears that Hell has frozen over.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

Yeah yeah yeah.  I was thinking about people marking the deal on potential, not on overall results, which isn't the proper way to view it.

Drink coffee first, post second!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Now its completed, the last word on the Phil Kessel trade is.... : Yeah yeah yeah.  I was thinking about people marking the deal on potential, not on overall results, which isn't the proper way to view it. Drink coffee first, post second!

Surprised to see you give this one up so easily.  Correlation does not necessarily imply causation, hard to argue that Jared Knight and Dougie Hamilton helped the Bruins win this Cup.  Right now, Kessel's performance is better than Seguin's, although I like our hand much better than the Leafs go forward (including Knight & Hamilton).

The "We won the Cup, so we won the Trade" argument can easily be applied to the the Kaberle deal, IMO.  Very easy to argue that Kaberle contributed to the Cup win more than Joe Colborne.

I love the Kessel for picks trade for the Bruins.  However, if Seguin does not improve and Knight/Hamilton never make it to the NHL it would be disingenuous to state that the Bruins won the deal. Like I said, I like the B's hand better than the Leafs hand, but I still need to see the results on the ice. Fully expect to see that.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

As I said earlier, let history be your guide.

I haven't done the math, but go ahead and select a pick#5 from previous years where we can make a clear judgement and swap them for a #2, #9 and #32 and you are really hard pressed to find where it wasn't a great deal.  Any years.  Mix and match to your heart's content.

Oh - and if you go back to previous 30 teams, the only fair way to do it is to select the #2 from the 2nd round.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Like i said before alot of hockey left in all the players. If the Leafs win the next 2 cups are they the winners of the trade? No, for the same reason. This kessel trade isnt done and wont be for years. We are still seeing the benefits to this day from the Glen Wesley trade to Hartford. The Glen Wesley tree is still springing branches. I know, Kessel no longer wears a bruins uniform, he's a baby who doesnt backcheck, Dougie hamilton is the next Rob Blake, etc. You traded one of the best young players in the game and got high draft picks in return. 15 years from now we'll have a better idea of who "won" the trade.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Like i said before alot of hockey left in all the players. If the Leafs win the next 2 cups are they the winners of the trade? No, for the same reason. This kessel trade isnt done and wont be for years. We are still seeing the benefits to this day from the Glen Wesley trade to Hartford. The Glen Wesley tree is still springing branches. I know, Kessel no longer wears a bruins uniform, he's a baby who doesnt backcheck, Dougie hamilton is the next Rob Blake, etc. You traded one of the best young players in the game and got high draft picks in return. 15 years from now we'll have a better idea of who "won" the trade.
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]
    Kel, it's the Cam Neely tree that is still springing branches. Wesley was the draft pick that came to Boston along with Neely for Barry Pederson.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]Like i said before alot of hockey left in all the players. If the Leafs win the next 2 cups are they the winners of the trade? No, for the same reason. This kessel trade isnt done and wont be for years. We are still seeing the benefits to this day from the Glen Wesley trade to Hartford. The Glen Wesley tree is still springing branches. I know, Kessel no longer wears a bruins uniform, he's a baby who doesnt backcheck, Dougie hamilton is the next Rob Blake, etc. You traded one of the best young players in the game and got high draft picks in return. 15 years from now we'll have a better idea of who "won" the trade.
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]

I can think of 7 ways to Sunday that this could prove the most lopsided trade in NHL history by the end of next season.

If you can't, you just don't have that much of an imagination.