Now the PP gets important , no ?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Now the PP gets important , no ?

Habs get a PP in Boston 6 on 4 and their D is throwing the puck on net, it eventually goes in.

Bruins get maybe the most important PP of the season and the 6 players on the ice just don;t get it.  It starts with Chara.  Everyone knows the puck is going to him and he's either not quick enough to shoot or move the puck.

We can complain about the lines all we want, the game was at 2-1 till they got a PP 6 on 4 and they failed miserably  , again ! 

Yes the PP is important, it's clutch and that's the bottom

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulbking. Show paulbking's posts

Re: Now the PP gets important , no ?

In response to BsLegion's comment:

Habs get a PP in Boston 6 on 4 and their D is throwing the puck on net, it eventually goes in.

Bruins get maybe the most important PP of the season and the 6 players on the ice just don;t get it.  It starts with Chara.  Everyone knows the puck is going to him and he's either not quick enough to shoot or move the puck.

We can complain about the lines all we want, the game was at 2-1 till they got a PP 6 on 4 and they failed miserably  , again ! 

huge!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In response to paulbking's comment:

huge!!

You haven't been around enough

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Coach: "It's a matter of putting pucks at the net and we weren't doing it; you have to be hungrier if you want to tie the game"^CS

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Scoring is important.  If the powerplay were so important, wouldn't teams that have awesome powerplays have awesome records?

Let's take a look:

1.  Washington 10th

2.  Philly 11th

3.  Edmonton 9th

4.  Pitt 1st

5.  Anaheim 2nd

6.  Habs 1st

7.  St. Louis 8th

8.  Calgary 14th

9.  NYI  8th

10.  Florida 15th

Chicago has the best record in the NHL  Where are they on the powerplay?  20th

What does this tell you?  Do you see any trends?  I don't.

Prior to this loss, the B's had three straight wins.  They went 0-4 on the powerplay across those three wins. 

When they win without a powerplay goal, it's fine.  When they lose by a goal and have no powerplay goals, the problem is suddenly the powerplay.

I know this will bring the powerplay mavens out with pitchforks and burning crosses, however I've just posted plenty of empirical data showing no direct correlation between powerplay goals (as opposed to even strenght goals) and consistent victory.  If there is any data which shows a good powerplay (Top 10 in the league) mean more wins, please post it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Scoring is important.  If the powerplay were so important, wouldn't teams that have awesome powerplays have awesome records?

Let's take a look:

1.  Washington 10th

2.  Philly 11th

3.  Edmonton 9th

4.  Pitt 1st

5.  Anaheim 2nd

6.  Habs 1st

7.  St. Louis 8th

8.  Calgary 14th

9.  NYI  8th

10.  Florida 15th

Chicago has the best record in the NHL  Where are they on the powerplay?  20th

What does this tell you?  Do you see any trends?  I don't.

Prior to this loss, the B's had three straight wins.  They went 0-4 on the powerplay across those three wins. 

When they win without a powerplay goal, it's fine.  When they lose by a goal and have no powerplay goals, the problem is suddenly the powerplay.

I know this will bring the powerplay mavens out with pitchforks and burning crosses, however I've just posted plenty of empirical data showing no direct correlation between powerplay goals (as opposed to even strenght goals) and consistent victory.  If there is any data which shows a good powerplay (Top 10 in the league) mean more wins, please post it.

I thought Jagr was suppose to help the PP?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to bim09's comment:

I thought Jagr was suppose to help the PP?

Bim, take your Jagr bashing trash elsewhere.  Start a thread about it.  See how many people agree with you that he's slow and fat.  Leave this convo for the powerplay discussion.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulbking. Show paulbking's posts

huge!!

been around what enough?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

been around what enough?

here on the forum to see that the PP is not huge

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

The issue here is still the difference between a powerplay, and the overall performance of the powerplay.

Any given single power play can change the outcome of a game; but no team goes 100% on the powerplay, and on the whole having a good powerplay doesn't seem to improve winning chances.  Timeliness, however, would be useful.

There's still no reason they should look so completely clueless out there at the end of the game like that.  It was really sad.

... so, how many pages this time?  50?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Here's more ,

Jaromir Jagr on shot-less PP: "We were looking for perfect shot. Maybe we should take shots & we just didnt do it. We need to learn from it"

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kitchener. Show kitchener's posts

Why don't Bruins get many power plays,seems like they usually only get 1 or 2 a game Montreal has almost twice as many power plays as Bruin's,maybee that' why powerplay is so bad,don't get  much practise,do they not draw penalties because there lazy,i just don't get it i think Bruins they said have had 95 powerplays Montreal has had something like 160.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulbking. Show paulbking's posts

been around what enough?

holy smokes!  i was trying not to open this door but............clod  and chia and saint cam and the rest  all OWE THAT CUP TO T THOMAS IE STONE WALL JACKSON, tim won that cup and anyone who saw  all the games knows it!  now if we can't win by one goal were pucked! fact!  happened last year  making holtby for punk azz washington  look like ken dryden.  hey i don't know the answer to this question. i wish they would win and crush all oposition. but...might be like torts in ny time   ya know??

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

holy smokes!  i was trying not to open this door but............clod  and chia and saint cam and the rest  all OWE THAT CUP TO T THOMAS IE STONE WALL JACKSON, tim won that cup and anyone who saw  all the games knows it!  now if we can't win by one goal were pucked! fact!  happened last year  making holtby for punk azz washington  look like ken dryden.  hey i don't know the answer to this question. i wish they would win and crush all oposition. but...might be like torts in ny time   ya know??

Can win a game without scoring any goals.

Thomas scored no goals.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kitchener. Show kitchener's posts

been around what enough?

The star's definetly aligned for them.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Teams that don't win the 5 on 5 game need to win the special teams game.  It's pretty simple math, no?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Powerplay stats and corsi stats are irrelevant.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

To answer the original question: This team doesnt score enough 5 on 5 to get away with a bad power play like they did in 2010-11.

it was brought to light last year versus the Caps, and has proven true in big games this year.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulbking. Show paulbking's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

truenas..  but remember that philly game #2 ,what was that 57 saves or something? changed evrything! timmy won it, like parant beat the b"s and dryden. they should all send him x mas cards for ever

Can win a game without scoring any goals.

Thomas scored no goals.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

To answer the original question: This team doesnt score enough 5 on 5 to get away with a bad power play like they did in 2010-11.

it was brought to light last year versus the Caps, and has proven true in big games this year.

very well said

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulbking. Show paulbking's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

very well said

yes    and how do they over come it?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In response to kitchener's comment:

Why don't Bruins get many power plays,seems like they usually only get 1 or 2 a game Montreal has almost twice as many power plays as Bruin's,maybee that' why powerplay is so bad,don't get  much practise,do they not draw penalties because there lazy,i just don't get it i think Bruins they said have had 95 powerplays Montreal has had something like 160.

One of the reasons they don't get many PPs is their style of play. They don't beat teams with speed , speed is why you get a lot of tripping, hooking, holding calls because you can't keep up.  The players that play with speed, Seguin and Marchand don't have the puck enough and when they do , lately , it's either a weak shot on net or a bad pass or just a clear in.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

The best PP unit I've seen this year was in Boston when we lost 6-5 to the scabs ...the kid was moving the puck quicly, accurates passes and was speeding up the play ...his name : Tory Krug ...how long is it going to take before the coaches see that ??    We've been struggling since 2011 on the PP ...and espite that we've won a Stanley Cup ..if only the BRUINS would have an average PP .....they would be practically unbeatable....Bring back Krug in the line up and scratch Pandolfo ....cant be worst than Pandolfo 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

NAS, i think it is relevent.  Jagr was suppose to be help for the PP - help for the offense in general.

He did nothing.  He's fat (even fatter than Looch) he's slow and he's old.  Until i see him take the puck off the halfwall, beat a defender or two and put the bean in the basket, the trade is a bad one.