Now they can't even agree to meet!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Now they can't even agree to meet!

Looks like the owners are playing hardball, or even hard to get. I think in order for there to be a full 82 game schedule a deal must be struck this week. But now  they can't even agree to meet. I just think nothing is going to get done unless the players cave.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/8544426/nhl-nhl-players-association-agree-meet

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Re: Now they can't even agree to meet!

The owners made it clear before an announcement for a next meeting that they would only meet with the PA if they would work on the existing proposition they made last week. Instead the PA wanted to speak outside of that .

Hardball ?  Maybe but I see it more as cut the nonsense.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to BsLegion's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The owners made it clear before an announcement for a next meeting that they would only meet with the PA if they would work on the existing proposition they made last week. Instead the PA wanted to speak outside of that .

Hardball ?  Maybe but I see it more as cut the nonsense.

[/QUOTE]

Right, it looks like the owners are saying that their last proposal is the only framework that they are willing to discuss. They are taking a hard stance on that, and honestly, I don't blame them. So, if the NHLPA comes back to the table, perhaps they will be closer to a deal, since by coming back to the table, at least theyre showing a willingness to work off of that.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

It seems like this is becomming less about getting what each side feels is equal, and more about pride. If they could put their egos away, maybe they could find some sort of agreement. 

I still don't understand this, the players are employees.. these athletes hold way too much power. Seeing someone like Ovechkin say he will stay in Europe if he loses any money is sickenning. These guys get payed millions to play hockey for a living, feel no sympathy for them... actually, woudln't be at all against Ovechkin staying in Russia.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Holding out hope for an 82 game schedule is as fruitless as hoping she'll call.

She won't.  She didn't like you.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

I still think that at least part of the impasse is ego-driven: Fehr (the new guy) showing the players that he can stare down Bettman, and Bettman showing the owners that he can stand up to the "bigshot union guy" that the PA has brought in.

Methinks a mediator needs to be brought in to cut through the testosterone, and seek some middle ground on the monetary issues, without the bluster.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

People keep talking about ego this and ego that.  Fehr is one of the best at negotiations like this.  It's not because he loves himself, it's because he doesn't back down.  Same thing for Bettman.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

What Ovechkin said.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nhl/columnist/allen/2012/10/22/what-must-happen-for-lockout-to-end/1650627/

4. Stop trying to win public relations war

"The PR war is over and both sides lost. Fans are generally blaming both sides for the lack of progress, and it will be a PR disaster for both sides if there is no season. Let's just stipulate that players are mad at Commissioner Gary Bettman and believe this is a money grab, and then let's stipulate that owners are miffed because they believe players are making proposals with a theme they know owners won't accept. Nobody wins the blame game, except the journalists who write about it."

8. Stop playing serve-and-volley on proposals

"Does it matter whose turn it is to make a proposal? Instead of worrying about who blinked first, or if they look weak by making two proposals in a row, let's concentrate simply on getting a proposal. They have to get in a room this week and make a painful effort to reach a deal that will allow a full season to be played. Both sides would have to feel some pain to make this compromise work. It might help if they simply talk about the $1.65 billion they are arguing instead of percentages, and then work back from the money to the percentages."

9. Outside pressures needed

How about NBC reminding the NHL how committed it has been to giving the league first-class treatment? The NBC Sports Network clearly counts on the league for programming, and it can't be pleased by this turn of events. Presumably, NBC also isn't happy that the NHL is considering canceling the Winter Classic in Ann Arbor, Mich. That should draw high ratings as people tune in to see if 120,000 fans come to the Big House to watch outdoor hockey."

Allen nailed it and Dick Ebersol needs to speak with boith sides which would be a good thing...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nhl/columnist/allen/2012/10/22/what-must-happen-for-lockout-to-end/1650627/

4. Stop trying to win public relations war

"The PR war is over and both sides lost. Fans are generally blaming both sides for the lack of progress, and it will be a PR disaster for both sides if there is no season. Let's just stipulate that players are mad at Commissioner Gary Bettman and believe this is a money grab, and then let's stipulate that owners are miffed because they believe players are making proposals with a theme they know owners won't accept. Nobody wins the blame game, except the journalists who write about it."

8. Stop playing serve-and-volley on proposals

"Does it matter whose turn it is to make a proposal? Instead of worrying about who blinked first, or if they look weak by making two proposals in a row, let's concentrate simply on getting a proposal. They have to get in a room this week and make a painful effort to reach a deal that will allow a full season to be played. Both sides would have to feel some pain to make this compromise work. It might help if they simply talk about the $1.65 billion they are arguing instead of percentages, and then work back from the money to the percentages."

9. Outside pressures needed

How about NBC reminding the NHL how committed it has been to giving the league first-class treatment? The NBC Sports Network clearly counts on the league for programming, and it can't be pleased by this turn of events. Presumably, NBC also isn't happy that the NHL is considering canceling the Winter Classic in Ann Arbor, Mich. That should draw high ratings as people tune in to see if 120,000 fans come to the Big House to watch outdoor hockey."

Allen nailed it and Dick Ebersol needs to speak with boith sides which would be a good thing...

[/QUOTE]

As i stated once the  lock out began, only a matter of time before NBC and HBO step in. I believe they have some say in these matters. I know, they dont dictate who gets what, but they are provding a significant portion of the revenue these two sides are hung up on. Never a good time for a lockout, but this one is more ill-timed due to the relationship that has just begun between the NHL and these two networks. I'd say the NHL needs NBC and HBO alot more than the other way around.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Bingo, money talks.  TV speaks to the owners.  Lifestyle speaks to the players, unless they live like "Logan Mankins".  December will be a nice starting time.  A 60 game schedule with a long grueling playoffs is probably the best schedule of all.  To this fan, the first 20 games are useless in a parity driven league. "I read the news today, oh boy" about how one side is sizing up another, boring to the fan!  Kel has the right read here!