Now....can we repeat next year????

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsfan4778. Show bruinsfan4778's posts

Re: Now....can we repeat next year????

you can still punch him king...we wont care. an elbow then maybe???

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

No doubt the Bruins are going to make a lot of noise next year and should be considered one of the heavy favourites to go all the way. 

My only concern is how their collective minds will handle this success. 

We all know how they perform when they're sleepskating.  I'll be interested to see if winning the Cup will have them hungry for more or bloated from it.  I have this feeling they're going to be slow out of the blocks until they shake the glow of the championship. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

In Response to Re: Now....can we repeat next year????:
    No doubt the Bruins are going to make a lot of noise next year and should be considered one of the heavy favourites to go all the way.  My only concern is how their collective minds will handle this success.  We all know how they perform when they're sleepskating.  I'll be interested to see if winning the Cup will have them hungry for more or bloated from it.  I have this feeling they're going to be slow out of the blocks until they shake the glow of the championship. 
    Posted by RichHillOntario

The cup hangover is the biggest wild card of any thoughts of repeating.  A very short off season, and the natural tendency to somehow think it comes easier than it really did. 
    That said, I really believe they won a year or two early.  This core will mature sometime in the future, and then look out.  If they can be kept together the potential is there for a dynasty, or as close as there can be in the cap era.  We're talking Detroit type success. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

The Bruins have a lot of young players, so I can see them repeating in the next few years.  It is difficult to win back to back championships in any sport.  Tim Thomas won the Stanley Cup for the Bruins this year.  Not sure how many good years he has left.  They should still be a very good team for many years to come. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In Response to Re: Now....can we repeat next year???? : The cup hangover is the biggest wild card of any thoughts of repeating.  A very short off season, and the natural tendency to somehow think it comes easier than it really did.  That said, I really believe they won a year or two early.  This core will mature sometime in the future, and then look out.  If they can be kept together the potential is there for a dynasty, or as close as there can be in the cap era.  We're talking Detroit type success. 
    Posted by scooter244

scooter - Good points.  I can envision a series of sluggish performances early in the season before the club gets their legs under them.  PC has done a masterful job setting up the Bruins for the forseeable future.  Krejci, Marchand, Lucic, Horton, Boychuk and Rask, to name a few are young.  Seguin will improve with experience which should only add to the flashes of high-end skill we've seen in him. 

Vets like Chara, Thomas, Kelly, Seidenberg, Ference, Peverley and Campbell are at the top of their games.  Blend all this together and the B's will be highly-competitive for quite some time.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

I think they should make a run at Laich or Jokinen, 2 real solid players.
    Posted by Hockguy0818

Which Jokinen?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

Most teams go thru a Stanley Cup hangover. So; a slump in the beginning wouldn't be something to be surprised about. Repeating? I think they're a contender without question! However; so many things need to go a teams way. With so much parady in the league it'll be a tough task. Also; since the NHL has done this. Hasn't one of the teams that started their season in Europe been the STC's?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

a
    a
    • Article rank
    • 18 Jun 2011
    • Edmonton Journal
    • The Associated Press BOsTON

Bruins’ future secure

Few free-agent issues on horizon for Boston

The long-term contract the Boston Bruins gave Tim Thomas seemed like a big waste of money just a year ago. They even explored trading him.

Now, after one of the greatest performances by a goalie in the history of the Stanley Cup final, that deal looks golden. And there’s more good news on the contract front for the NHL champions.

Only three players on the team that beat the Vancouver Canucks in seven games are unrestricted free agents and one of them, Mark Recchi, is retiring. The only restricted free agent is playoff star Brad Marchand, and the Bruins aren’t about to let him get away.

Coach Claude Julien, overshadowed through much of the postseason and in danger of dismissal if Boston didn’t get past the second round, isn’t going anywhere either. His assistants also are under contract.

“That’s actually the first time someone has asked me that question about our coaches,” general manager Peter Chiarelli said with a laugh Friday when asked if he was working on an extension for Julien.

“They are currently under contract into subsequent years, so nothing forthcoming.”

The Bruins did consider, however briefly, trading Thomas last year, the second of a four-year, $20-million contract. He ended that season on the bench, hampered by a hip injury for the entire post-season after winning the Vezina Trophy a year earlier.

Chiarelli said at a news conference that he, Thomas and Bill Zito, the goalie’s agent, agreed to look into dealing Thomas, but a trade was never close.

“He kept stressing he didn’t want to leave. And I said, ‘I know, let’s just look at this very briefly,’ ” Chiarelli said. “I know there are a lot of stories that flowed from it, but I can’t stress enough the fact that Tim never wanted to leave. And I wouldn’t be doing my job if I at least didn’t look at some things. And I did.”

He does the same with other players.

“You talk to other teams,” Chiarelli said. “And at the end of the day, you make the decision, yea or nay. And here it was nay. And it was an easy nay.”

That decision paid off when Thomas led the NHL with a 2.00 goals against average and .938 save percentage in the regular season. He was even better in the playoffs at 1.98 and .940 overall and 1.15 and .967 against the Canucks, who led the NHL in scoring during the regular season.

He had plenty of help from the top defensive pairing of Zdeno Chara, who is signed for eight more seasons, and Dennis Seidenberg, who has four left on his contract.

On the forward lines, Patrice Bergeron, who scored two goals in the Cup-clinching 4-0 win in Game 7, is signed for three more years, while Nathan Horton, Milan Lucic, Tyler Seguin and Gregory Campbell each have two years remaining. Marc Savard also has two years to go, but a series of concussions is threatening his career.

Winger Michael Ryder, inconsistent in the regular season but valuable in the playoffs, and defenceman Tomas Kaberle, a mid-season pickup who didn’t meet expectations, are unrestricted free agents. They likely would have to sign contracts below their 2010-11 salaries to stay.

But Chiarelli has managed the salary cap well.

“We’re going to continue to tweak” the roster,” he said. “We’re not going to be huge players (in) free agency, but you know we’re going to look at it.”

As mentioned in this newspaper article....PC admits, a tweak here or a tweak there. It comes down to what his definition of "tweak" is ???....

One thing that can get tweaked is the PP. What ever it takes, Tweak away !!

Go B's Go !

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

In Response to Re: Now....can we repeat next year???? : You forgot the single most important thing needed to win the cup. Unfortunately it's the one thing you can't count on. The hot goalie.
    Posted by tartarus12

I don't think Boston will have any issues in goal, unless there are significant injuries.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Almost half of the league will have had two more months worth of recuperation than the Bruins, so I think the Cup hangover is a real possibility. I'd look for them to be able to start to really turn it on in December or January and get a top three berth again out of the East. From there we'll see what happens. Getting to the SCF is a total crap shoot to an extent, due to injuries and bounces, but I think this team will be in a good position once they get their sea legs again. (as an example on the bounces, if it wasn't for Ryder doing his best Grant Fuhr impression, we likely wouldn't have even made it out of the first round, let alone get a Cup.)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

The Bruins will have most of their team back and Seguin and Marchand should continue to improve so they should contend.  That being said the long run makes it hard to bounce back for a long run.  Philly may finally have goaltending, Sid will be back and Ovechkin is hungry.  That being said the Bruins now have an edge at least over the Flyers and Caps as they know what it takes and have the confidence they can do it.  It will be tough for the Bruins but it will take a good team to knock them out.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigChara. Show BigChara's posts

The Bruins are as good as anyone, but one of my biggest concerns is how playing a gruelling 107 game schedule will affect them. And training camp opens in just three months. Yikes!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

No ! Things went the B's way this year. In this age of the cap, free agents, long travel and the size and speed of the players running each other and causing injuries, it's too hard to stay healthy and fresh. The injury bug will always rear it's ugly head. But with all that said they should be able to go a couple of rounds though.

Sections
Shortcuts