Number 19

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Number 19

Tom McCarthy

Joe Thornton

Tyler Seguin

Normand Leveille

Bad, bad number.  Retire this one to the basement.  Nothing good comes from #19 in a B's jersey anymore.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Re: Number 19

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Tom McCarthy

Joe Thornton

Tyler Seguin

Normand Leveille

Bad, bad number.  Retire this one to the basement.  Nothing good comes from #19 in a B's jersey anymore.

Perhaps not since Johnny "Pieface" McKenzie.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

DiMiao wore it, as did Poulin and Czerkawski, so in the past there have been good Bruins in the #19 sweater, but I can't think of any number that has such bright lights of bad news.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Normand Leveille

That number should be retired for this alone for those that had to experience it.... 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Some teams honour numbers.  Perhaps the Bruins should dishonour that one.  (Kidding)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from gord11. Show gord11's posts

"Normand Leveille

That number should be retired for this alone for those that had to experience it.... "  - jmwalters

There you have it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:

Some teams honour numbers.  Perhaps the Bruins should dishonour that one.  (Kidding)

Anti-retire it, placing it on the basement floor.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

I think Jumbo is kinda unfairly maligned.  Except here, he's always been considered high end.  Yeah he's never won a cup, and his teams always find a way to under-perform in the playoffs, but he shouldn't have to shoulder the whole blame regarding the collective effort of 18 other guys.  Unlike nowadays, Joe was badly mishandled.  He shouldn't have been coddled and protected so ridiculously his first year or two, he should have played more, made more mistakes, and learned more.  He should never have been given the captaincy.  He didn't want it, and it went against his personality.  That one was really poorly thought out.

Overall, a pretty darn good career hockey player.  No reason to smear him. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to stevegm's comment:

Soft, soft, soft.  As a Boston Bruin, I think he was a bust.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Tom McCarthy

Joe Thornton

Tyler Seguin

Normand Leveille

Savard's number used the same numerals. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Gentlman Joe will probably get a cup like Hull, Shanahan and Bourque late in his career on another team.

I remember when Poulin first got here, he was mad about leaving Philly. Then he became a Boston fan favorite with his gritty play. Dave kind still takes the dullness out of that cursed number.

19 is kind of like #13, just an odd kinda number. Yah get rid of it!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

[QUOTE]

Soft, soft, soft.  As a Boston Bruin, I think he was a bust.

[/QUOTE]

That's the kind of over-reaction I'm talking about. 

From 1999 til his departure over 6 years later, he either led the team in scoring, or was right near the top every single year.  He averaged more than a point per game in those years, and was selected from those within the business to play in virtually every tournament, and all-star game during that period.  He broke the 100 pt barrier which is a big achievement while playing for the B's.  Thorton was the Bruins leading scorer the day he got traded, and what he did in that final year while in Boston contributed to an Art Ross trophy, plus a Hart as well.

That's along, long, long, long way from BUST.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Agree.

Thornton has played some pretty good hockey since he left Boston. 

NAS can be a bit dramatic at times.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Everyone has their own views.  That's mine.  I expected him to have the impact of a true franchise player like Lindros did in Philly.

Didn't happen.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

[QUOTE]

Everyone has their own views.  That's mine.  I expected him to have the impact of a true franchise player like Lindros did in Philly.

Didn't happen.

[/QUOTE]

Yes, everyone has their own view, but yours is incorrect on this one.  Needs to be updated.  He was by every measurement an impact player...a franchise type player while in Boston.  It's fine to feel he didn't do as much as you felt he could have.  Totally incorrect to put him in the "bust" category.

Not looking to argue, just using this example to drive home the point of my original thoughts on this thread.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Yes, everyone has their own view, but yours is incorrect on this one.  Needs to be updated.  He was by every measurement an impact player...a franchise type player while in Boston.  It's fine to feel he didn't do as much as you felt he could have.  Totally incorrect to put him in the "bust" category.

Not looking to argue, just using this example to drive home the point of my original thoughts on this thread.

He played for Boston for seven years.

He scored six goals in the playoffs.

El Bust-o.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

[QUOTE]

He played for Boston for seven years.

He scored six goals in the playoffs.

El Bust-o.

[/QUOTE]

Nathan Horton played for 6 years and scored 0 playoff goals yet scored a huge raise.  That kind of stat usually isn't used to override all the others. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Nathan Horton played for 6 years and scored 0 playoff goals yet scored a huge raise.  That kind of stat usually isn't used to override all the others. 

Horton wasn't supposed to be the franchise.

Horton didn't make the playoffs in those six years.

Nitpicking is fine.

Five playoff years, six playoff goals.

27 playoff games, six goals.

27 playoff games, 12 assists.

27 playoff games 18 points.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

hey when was the last twatter Joe reference from kpd?

ending threads since '07

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Canadianfan6. Show Canadianfan6's posts

The thornton trade was awefull!

They got nothing back

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

[QUOTE]

Horton wasn't supposed to be the franchise.

Horton didn't make the playoffs in those six years.

Nitpicking is fine.

Five playoff years, six playoff goals.

27 playoff games, six goals.

27 playoff games, 12 assists.

27 playoff games 18 points.

[/QUOTE]

NAS is absolutely correct. Thornton was the epitome of soft in Boston. He is a supremely talented player who did not make SJ any better when he got there, either.  It took him awhile to appear at playofftime there, too.

He was traded the day after a typical soft game Joe when he blew his coverage against NJ and the B's lost another one late.

The only comparison to Horton is that apparently Boston was a little too "hot" for both of them.

Thornton was supposed to turn the franchise around and was a bust here.  The biggest contribution he made in Boston is get traded, open up a wad of cash and facilitate Chara's signing... a real leader and a Cup.

There's no amount of spinning or stat juggling to frame Thornton as anything but a bust in Boston.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Thornton was a 100-point scorer and averaged a point a game for the B's, hardly a bust.
    Revisionist history. As for Greg Sheppard, I thought he was a pretty good 19, and Dave Poulin did his job. Stupid thread, especially the Thornton posts.