Numbers on the front of helmets?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Numbers on the front of helmets?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Pass-or-Fail-Player-numbers-on-the-front-of-NHL?urn=nhl-wp13603

I like this idea. Anything to make it easier to identify the players.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Re: Numbers on the front of helmets?

In Response to Numbers on the front of helmets?:
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Pass-or-Fail-Player-numbers-on-the-front-of-NHL?urn=nhl-wp13603 I like this idea. Anything to make it easier to identify the players.
    Posted by Chowdahkid-

I always liked the idea of numbers on the sides of helmets. There's no need for the Wild to have their elbems on the sides of the helmet. It seems redundant. Numbers would be better there instead.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Re: Numbers on the front of helmets?:
    In Response to Numbers on the front of helmets? : I always liked the idea of numbers on the sides of helmets. There's no need for the Wild to have their elbems on the sides of the helmet. It seems redundant. Numbers would be better there instead.
    Posted by dezaruchi

Numbers on the sleeves make it easier for me to see who it is from the side view. There was nothing on the front for most teams. Some have it on the front. Sabres , Blues had it on one of their jerseys etc.....

For these crappy eyes I need all the help I can get. Front, back, side , top ,bottom . Put the numbers all over and I'll enjoy the games more.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgrif008. Show bgrif008's posts

As a spectator you wont be able to read such a small thing. Not gonna make a big difference at all. Must be so when the bench clears and everyone loses their helmets, the players can identify them quicker....Ok thats a joke. Did the NHL give a reason for it? Anyone know?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

As a spectator you wont be able to read such a small thing. Not gonna make a big difference at all. Must be so when the bench clears and everyone loses their helmets, the players can identify them quicker....Ok thats a joke. Did the NHL give a reason for it? Anyone know?
    Posted by bgrif008

This was in the article.

The new number placement is designed to aid on-ice officials, broadcasters, et al. by providing an additional point of player identification

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

They have a huge number on their backs, along with their names and numbers on their sleeves.  How often does a guy skate in a such a fashion that you can't figure out who he is in five seconds? 

Maybe they're starting to make it look busier so when they start slapping adverts all over them, it won't be so bad.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

They should put stop signs instead of numbers.  Even the novice and atom kids in canada know its not ok to run someone in the numbers. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattymcgee55. Show mattymcgee55's posts

They have a huge number on their backs, along with their names and numbers on their sleeves.  How often does a guy skate in a such a fashion that you can't figure out who he is in five seconds?  Maybe they're starting to make it look busier so when they start slapping adverts all over them, it won't be so bad.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

sad but true.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tom857. Show Tom857's posts

It's also right where you can see the guy's face, anyway... who does this help? Hopefully Mike Emerick... he was BRUTAL to listen to in the playoffs. You've been following the Bruins off and on for 2 rounds, then all of 2 others, and you STILL can't identify the players correctly by game 7? REALLY?
    I'm not "against" them... I just think there's no need.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

They have a huge number on their backs, along with their names and numbers on their sleeves.  How often does a guy skate in a such a fashion that you can't figure out who he is in five seconds?  Maybe they're starting to make it look busier so when they start slapping adverts all over them, it won't be so bad.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

I will say that when refereeing, there are times you pick up a player committing an infraction and raise your arm for a delayed call, but based on the position of the player its occasionally tough to always get the number right away.  Happens on awarding assists sometimes too.

It may sound silly, but at speed sometimes you miss it.

I can't imagine a helmet # would help an announcer or a fan - too far away.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kevio19. Show kevio19's posts

Unnecessay in my opinion, I wish the NHL could leave the game alone for more than a year at a time. The constant rule changes, now suspensions, verification lines and  this? Stupid, I think it just pisses some fans off, rather that attracting new ones. Don Cherry for commissioner 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Here's where it will help boys and girls.

You are watching Colorado and Minnesota play on tv. There's a faceoff in one team's end with an ice level camera. The puck comes towards the camera in the corner, a scrum ensues with players facing that way.

Can you

1) See the name and numbers on the back
    2) Make out the full number on the sleeve
    3) Identify the player from 5 seconds of skating style which they haven't done yet because the puck travelled 10 feet and you know their skating styles because you are a fanatic of these two teams
    4) Identify the players faces from the Avalanche and Wild's 4th liners because you are a hockey genius

or

just look at the number on the front of the helmet and then know who these players are

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Do most know the numbers of the players on the fourth line of the Wild?

In reference to a guy skating for five seconds:  It's not about recognizing their style, but by watching as most players will turn/move enough so you can see the numbers.  However, unless the camera is right in their faces (which rarely happens), I can't read the numbers on the back of the helmet either.

It's a poor idea.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Who is this?

http://www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=c0bf582831217f761f1666d59adc7f22&plckUserId=c0bf582831217f761f1666d59adc7f22&plckPersonaPage=PersonaGalleryPhoto&plckPhotoID=7105333d-a086-47b5-8b23-16aec86ab898

I guess a number on the front of the helmet wouldn't have helped.  I like the idea of the small number on the left shoulder.

You can over do it with the numbers.  Does anybody else find the numbers distracting in keirin?

http://www.pedalconsumption.com/archives/2010/files/tag-keirin.html

Plus the guys are identified by color.  You could really easily identify players if they made everyone wear a different color combo in hockey.  And think of all the offense created by all those errant passes.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Who is this? http://www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=c0bf582831217f761f1666d59adc7f22&plckUserId=c0bf582831217f761f1666d59adc7f22&plckPersonaPage=PersonaGalleryPhoto&plckPhotoID=7105333d-a086-47b5-8b23-16aec86ab898 I guess a number on the front of the helmet wouldn't have helped.  I like the idea of the small number on the left shoulder. You can over do it with the numbers.  Does anybody else find the numbers distracting in keirin? http://www.pedalconsumption.com/archives/2010/files/tag-keirin.html Plus the guys are identified by color.  You could really easily identify players if they made everyone wear a different color combo in hockey.  And think of all the offense created by all those errant passes.
    Posted by BadHabitude

Or how about a number on the front of this guy's hemet.

He can do no wrong

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Does anybody else find the numbers distracting in keirin? http://www.pedalconsumption.com/archives/2010/files/tag-keirin.html Plus the guys are identified by color.  You could really easily identify players if they made everyone wear a different color combo in hockey.  And think of all the offense created by all those errant passes.
    Posted by BadHabitude
    They look like 10-sided die.

As for the helmet numbers, I think I will have to see them in action.  I highly doubt that they will help if I am watching on a crappy internet feed though (not that that likely ever entered the minds of the people that made that this decision).

Sections
Shortcuts