NYI - Andrew MacDonald

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

Re: NYI - Andrew MacDonald

In response to gord11's comment:

"Khokhlachev (never going to crack the Bruins 3rd line), Kelly (probably will be moved this summer anyway), Bartkowski (have two real good young PMDs already) and this years 1st round pick (which Chiarelli isn't going to do squat with) are plenty to get meaningful talks going."

Why not throw in the Bruins' black and gold colour scheme while you're at it.

Giving up on Bartkowski - strictly because he is young - would be a mistake. For a #5/#6 Rental defenceman would make it a colossal mistake.

Just watch, MacDonald won't fetch that much. Pick and a prospect.

He's not a 5/6. He plays more minutes than chara 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:

"Khokhlachev (never going to crack the Bruins 3rd line), Kelly (probably will be moved this summer anyway), Bartkowski (have two real good young PMDs already) and this years 1st round pick (which Chiarelli isn't going to do squat with) are plenty to get meaningful talks going."

Giving up on Bartkowski - strictly because he is young - would be a mistake. For a #5/#6 Rental defenceman would make it a colossal mistake.

He's not a 5/6. He plays more minutes than chara 

Agreed.  I'm not sure why people keep thinking that MacDonald is a lower tier D-man.  He's certainly a top-4, if not a top pairing guy on some teams.  He's likely to get around $5 million per year in his next contract.  He's well rounded too - pretty good defender, pretty good puck mover, with lots of points and blocked shots.

You're going to have to give up something like Bartkowski, and then some, to get this guy.  If the Isles offered him for Bartkowski straight up, Chiarelli would knock over Cam Neely getting to the phone.

If you're not willing to give up Bartkowski, you might as well give up on the deadline trade market altogether.  

You can't go fishing without any bait.  A 7th defensmen with half a season of NHL experience can't be untouchable if you want good players from other teams.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

You can't go fishing without any bait.  A 7th defensmen with half a season of NHL experience can't be untouchable if you want good players from other teams.

Dynamite and a net would work! ;-p

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NBbruinsfan. Show NBbruinsfan's posts

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/06/report-isles-macdonald-on-block-after-rejecting-four-year-16m-deal/

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"From McDonald’s perspective, he wields a pretty big stick. The prospect of a 27-year-old UFA defenseman with his resume hitting the open market is tantalizing, especially in a year where the cap will rise (to a projected $71.1 million.)"

What I see NB, is McDonald's agent saying "we can get a lot better in free agency".

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NBbruinsfan. Show NBbruinsfan's posts

Sandog, It just seems to me that it confirms he will be available for a rental. Come next year he can sign with someone else. We only need him for the remainder of the season. Sieds will be back. Bartowski and the rest will continue to improve and we will most likely move MacQuaid in the summer.

We should be able to get him without trading any of our current D. Millar,Krug,Bart and Hamilton.. The Ils have good youg D anyway. Our first and Prospect should do it. ...maybe

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sobchack. Show Sobchack's posts

Sandog is raising a sensible question:  can the Bs go deep in the playoffs without Seids?   I don't think any of us a crystal ball on how that will turn out.  But, we DO know how critical he was in both runs to the Finals ('11 and '13).

Will one of the young kids fit that role?  If it isn't McDonald, then it's gotta be someone close.  I wouldn't want to waste a window at winning a Cup because the LHD who puts in 20+ minutes in the playoff grind becomes the missing link.  That's all.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I don't think Chiarelli would be giving up on Bartkowski because of youth nor am I. You trade from strength - that lies in the Bruins defenseman prospects.

I'm not thinking that MacDonald is my choice and shouldn't be Chiarelli's. I want someone of Seidenberg's caliber and size. The Bruins have traded for UFAs before and convinced them to stay in the past. Also if it means taking on extra years of a contract so be it.

The price of a cup can be expensive and I would be willing to pay.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

let's not get carried away here with MacDonald, he plays on the Islanders whose d-corps will never be confused with that of the Habs teams of the seventies....

i'd prefer a bigger more physical d-man capable of clearing the front of the net and leave it up to Tuukka to block the shots....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to days-of-Orr's comment:

let's not get carried away here with MacDonald, he plays on the Islanders whose d-corps will never be confused with that of the Habs teams of the seventies....

i'd prefer a bigger more physical d-man capable of clearing the front of the net and leave it up to Tuukka to block the shots....

The struggles of the Islanders don't tell you much of anything about MacDonald.  In fact, I think he's managed to play pretty well with an awful lot of youth around him, which should actually increase his value.  Hamonic is probably the next best guy and has been injured.  MacDonald can't be blamed for the rotation of AHL d-man he shares the ice with.

Seidenberg was good at clearing out the front, but so are Chara and McQuaid.  Seidenberg was a top-4 defensmen with a pretty balanced skill set.  If you really want to replace him and a make a run at the Cup, you might look at other top-4 d-men.  I think the Bruins lost to Chicago because of the speed and skill of the Hawk forwards, not the inability to be physical enough in the crease.  They need a guy who can keep up.

So, I think MacDonald would be a pretty good piece for this team.  A needed piece.  That said, if the price is crazy, they need to look elsewhere.

I don't mind shupe's Trevor Daley suggestion...as plan B...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

MacDonald is good at shot blocking, but by no means is he a PMD. I just don't see it. I do however after thinking about it, think he may be a better player on the Bruins. i would trade Bartkowski for him simply because Seidenberg is out and McQauid seems to have trouble staying on the ice.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

The struggles of the Islanders don't tell you much of anything about MacDonald.  In fact, I think he's managed to play pretty well with an awful lot of youth around him, which should actually increase his value.  Hamonic is probably the next best guy and has been injured.  MacDonald can't be blamed for the rotation of AHL d-man he shares the ice with.

Seidenberg was good at clearing out the front, but so are Chara and McQuaid.  Seidenberg was a top-4 defensmen with a pretty balanced skill set.  If you really want to replace him and a make a run at the Cup, you might look at other top-4 d-men.  I think the Bruins lost to Chicago because of the speed and skill of the Hawk forwards, not the inability to be physical enough in the crease.  They need a guy who can keep up.

So, I think MacDonald would be a pretty good piece for this team.  A needed piece.  That said, if the price is crazy, they need to look elsewhere.

i like Daley too but don't see why Dallas would move him....  he might be their best d-man....  

he'd be a plan A....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Fletch macdonald turned down 16m over 4.   Isles have turned down a substantial offer for him.  Hoping the market will rise.   Why not go hard after daley, knowing hes signed at a great rate for a top 4.  I wanna make him plan A.  Reason is obvious, we throw a lot at the nyi and are left holding our jock at seasons end.   Bart, prospect and a 2nd.   I may sell high on krug and offer krug and a 3rd.  Next yrs def.  chara/boychuk seidz/dougie daley/mcq

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

I may sell high on krug and offer krug and a 3rd.   

[/QUOTE]

Nope.

Krug's offense from the back end is something the Bruins have needed for a while now. He gives the Bruins offense options other then having big stay at home defencemen that don't contribute the way he does on offense.

His offense would be missed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from gord11. Show gord11's posts

I am not really doubting nor disparaging MacDonald's abilities, more his UFA status and his value as such.

This is the time of year when Bruins fans start lining up the players they would throw overboard for a rental, for 2-3 months of mercenary service to a team that scarcely needs it.

It is the time of year when we gleefully package up as many as 4 Bruin players at a time - team chemistry etc be damned - to grab at the latest latest offering. UFA rentals are a bad way to go.

But if you must, they needn't be expensive - or as expensive as they start out being - it's always surprising to discover how easily these UFA's (even big stars) are had; "Wha!? A 2nd Round Pick and a prospect?! For him?!"

When the present (and highly speculative) concensus asking price for Vanek is; "a 1st Round Pick; a young player and a prospect", what is the price then for Andrew MacDonald?

Sample Answer; 'Boychuk, Kelly, Bartkowski and Subban should get the conversation started."

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NBbruinsfan. Show NBbruinsfan's posts

I don't think Andrew MacDonald is the guy we pay for in hopes of signing him up after this year. He will want about 5M5Y deal minimum. He is not the guy. We need the CAP space for our 2014\15 top lines. But I do believe he is the best UFA LHD available. We need to try to get him without trading any our top 8 D. Giving up Bartowski for him for example does not give us what we need. Regarding other UFA's out there they would be Depth. That would be good as well. If we go after a Signed player like Daley. We have to move contracts. Is he worth it. Our young D have Top 4 and higher ceiling. They steped up and play well against a very good ST. Louis team last night. We can ride them and save for Offense choices come summer. With Millar signed I see Macquaid becoming expendable, not that I want to see him go but for the same reason we let Ference go. We play a close game and Top D take on Top players all the time. Playoff time is intense and we have young D that will experience this for the first time really. (Hamilton).  We have some good Trade chips. This is not the year to use them. We are close to another long run. Get Macdonald. Maybe another forward.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I would like it if they picked up MacDonald...but I wouldn't deal Bartowski.  I like Bartowski and I think he has shown he can be a top-4 guy when pressed.  I think the idea here is to add a body to the defence, and so I would offer prospects or picks for a player like MacDonald.  Perhaps Morrow - he's a former 1st rounder that's been moved in this situation before.  I want 8 good defenders for the playoffs, and Bartowski for MacDonald leaves us still needing one more.... and I'm not super confident in Miller.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from gord11. Show gord11's posts

Oh! Sorry! AND Caron!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

Fletch macdonald turned down 16m over 4.   Isles have turned down a substantial offer for him.  Hoping the market will rise.   Why not go hard after daley, knowing hes signed at a great rate for a top 4.  I wanna make him plan A.  Reason is obvious, we throw a lot at the nyi and are left holding our jock at seasons end.   Bart, prospect and a 2nd.   I may sell high on krug and offer krug and a 3rd.  Next yrs def.  chara/boychuk seidz/dougie daley/mcq

i don't think macdonald's contract discussions with the islanders necessarily should give us a lot to infer about his contract wishes etc. There are an awful lot of NHL players that would strongly desire to get to unrestricted free agency simple to get off the island. Personally I think the islanders should be an attractive destination for free agents, but they haven't got the message yet that this team is headed in the right direction. 

I don't think Vanek thinks he is getting more than 7/50, I think he wants to go elsewhere. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

I am not really doubting nor disparaging MacDonald's abilities, more his UFA status and his value as such.

This is the time of year when Bruins fans start lining up the players they would throw overboard for a rental, for 2-3 months of mercenary service to a team that scarcely needs it.

It is the time of year when we gleefully package up as many as 4 Bruin players at a time - team chemistry etc be damned - to grab at the latest latest offering. UFA rentals are a bad way to go.

But if you must, they needn't be expensive - or as expensive as they start out being - it's always surprising to discover how easily these UFA's (even big stars) are had; "Wha!? A 2nd Round Pick and a prospect?! For him?!"

When the present (and highly speculative) concensus asking price for Vanek is; "a 1st Round Pick; a young player and a prospect", what is the price then for Andrew MacDonald?

Sample Answer; 'Boychuk, Kelly, Bartkowski and Subban should get the conversation started."

Your sample answer is beyond dumb. Boychuk, Kelly, Bart and Subban for Macdonald just makes no sense on any level at all. 

I get what you're saying about this being the time that we want to throw prospects away, and that being wrong. In the past, I would have agreed with you. There are times when shipping off prospects would be foolish. It would be dumb for montreal, toronto, and washington. They're in the hunt but have no shot. Were it not for the Seidenberg injury I would bet the house the bruins make it back to the finals. There are precisely 0 teams in the east that scare me, including pittsburgh. Now, the team has a tremendous need on the blue line, but if that need is filled, they should make it back to the final. The window is open, Chara will not stay youthful forever, you can't let a year slip away because you weren't willing to trade for a 2/3 d man. happily throw a pick and 2 good prospects at this problem. If you can get Girardi for a 1st, khokho and bart, do it. and if you can get macdonald, do it. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from gord11. Show gord11's posts

"Your sample answer is beyond dumb. Boychuk, Kelly, Bart and Subban for Macdonald just makes no sense on any level at all. " - 'bostonfan191646'

what about on the level of sarcasm?

But really, it's not far off what many people here proffer up for UFA rentals

if they have to trade the likes of Bartkowski (i'd prefer they don't) i'd love it to be for someone under contract past July. I hate the idea of rentals.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

that's all and good but you have to udnerstand, to acquire a player, it requires the other team to want to trade him. Normally, those guys are the ones not under contract for too much longer. The point is, you have to overpay, but do it. you only have so many seasons with chara, don't let an injury stand in the way. 

Here's a thought, how about sending the islanders svedberg and a pick/mid level prospect. They need young goaltending. 

Sections
Shortcuts