NYI not tolling Thomas

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Re: NYI not tolling Thomas

In response to SoxFanInIL's comment:

Price is on par with all the greats. 

Canada has to be favored, but this statement is killing your argument.

They will be and I can't see Quick nor Howard doing any better than what Miller did in 2010. The US will have to pot more than two goals this time around.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Lou- stanley cup finals, gold medal, outstanding stats every year. 

Current:  Precieved total failure

fleury- stanley cup, scf twice, gold medal(stinks now but is another example of how weird goalies are) 

Current:  Gate boy for Vokoun

brodeur- cant list them all

Current:  Celebrating 124th Birthday

ward- stanley cup

Current:  Serioulsy, this guy sucks

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Shupe, then you're underestimating the World Championships - The Olympics are International Rules on International Ice. World Championship gold shows that these keepers can be successful under those conditions and rules at a high level of play.

Aside from Brodeur, Canada has no one with high success in those conditions. That includes Lou since the Vancouver Olympics were on NHL size ice.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

Call it twice shy, Shupe, by I think red has you when she brings up past examples.  The roster disparity between the Czechs and the Canadians was greater than the difference between Canada and the other contenders today, and Hasek made that irrelevant (though it took a shootout).  Richter did it at the World Cup.  We've seen it many times...heck, even 1972...a great goalie can stymie the best of rosters.

Especially at a tournament like this.  Crosby w/ Dupuis & Kunitz works because they have familiarity and each plays his own game.  They can do that because they can all read off of one another.  Put Crosby on a line with Lucic and Nash for a season.  It would be like putting the current top line on some sort of steroid/nanotechnology mix - Nash a better version of Horton, and for all the respect I have for DK, Crosby a more dynamic and consistent superstar.  And Fat playing like he has the last few weeks?  Imagine what Crosby could do with all of the extra space and possessions he'd get with Fat on puck retrieval.  Give them time to develop chemistry and then make sure you have a cooler beside your chair, 'cause you don't want to miss anything.

But throw those three together at the Olympics?  I'm not sure the precision's there to really show what paper suggests.  Just not enough time.  Chemistry is far less of an issue for a goalie - yes, the D have to know his preferences etc, but a lights out goalie can be lights out with D he's never met before.

canada won in 2010 with one of the best goalie performances ive seen, maybe ever in Miller.  Still lost.  Canada's roster was void of stampkos and other high end scoring talent.  It also had some crusty vets playing with drew who was awesome in that tourny.  chemistry wasnt that much of an issue in 2010 was it?   Our fwd group is better, more gifted offensively from both fwds and def.  

and whats missing from the past was coaching in my opionion.  How does gretzky not shoot?  But thats for another thread. Those teams werent picked very well in my opinion.   We have the best coach in hockey behind the bench.  We have the best player in the world, our 2nd line center who likely will be toews is one of the best leaders/players in the game.  

coaching- edge canada

fwds- edge canada in a landslide at both ends of the rink.  Its disgusting how many fwds wont make it.  No country has this issue.  

Def- again.  Its not close

goalie- i give usa a big edge here.  Goalies i find are impossible to predict bc they are so hot and cold.  Quick didnt dominate early, renne wasnt great, fleury rates high in the stats but hes terrible, price had an off year but his team was 2nd in the conf, smith was insane a few yrs back but had an off year, bryz is terrible but 2 yrs ago was one of the best.  Girardi has more saves per year then king h.  I find it impossible to predict what a goalie will do.  Reds argument essentially confirms this.  

So next year price could bounce back and be unreal again bc prior to last year he was in conversation as being one of the best.  

What we do know is that crosby will be the best player in the world, toews will still be toews, bergie will still be the best two way fwd in hockey, stampkos will still be the best goal scorer over the past 5 yrs, drew, keith, shea, letang will all still be allstar dmen, pk and pietrangelo will continue to be improving.  

I like our chances.  More then 2010.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Current:  Precieved total failure

fleury- stanley cup, scf twice, gold medal(stinks now but is another example of how weird goalies are) 

Current:  Gate boy for Vokoun

Current:  Celebrating 124th Birthday

ward- stanley cup

Current:  Serioulsy, this guy sucks

Quick. What else you got?  

Im conceding the better goalie as your only edge.  If you score one goal you will not beat us.  Quick will not play better then miller did.  You still lost.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

ward- stanley cup

outside of quick, smith crawford price have won exactly the same as all the other countries goalies.  Which is nothing.  

None of these goalies above make the Team USA Roster ahead of Quick, Miller, Thomas.

None of them.

Okay so take Thomas out of the equation. Team Canadas starting goalie would be 3rd string ont he U.S...

And don't tell me that next year, Martin St. Louis is better than Phil Kessel, Zach Parise and Patrick Kane..Thats just ridiculous.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to red75's comment:

Shupe, then you're underestimating the World Championships - The Olympics are International Rules on International Ice. World Championship gold shows that these keepers can be successful under those conditions and rules at a high level of play.

Aside from Brodeur, Canada has no one with high success in those conditions. That includes Lou since the Vancouver Olympics were on NHL size ice.

WC is a joke.  Its important for euro teams but the us and canadian clubs really dont give a rats behind.  And i know what style-rules are played.  Same ones that won gold in 2010.  

If swiss plays sweden in the final i will eat my boots.  If finland is in the final same thing.  

this tourney will have 4 teams one of which will win, usa, russia, sweden and canada.  They will have all their best players there.  Im willing to bet without looking that the swiss team is likely made up of 3/4s canadian players that have swiss papers.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

ward- stanley cup

outside of quick, smith crawford price have won exactly the same as all the other countries goalies.  Which is nothing.  

None of these goalies above make the Team USA Roster ahead of Quick, Miller, Thomas.

None of them.

Okay so take Thomas out of the equation. Team Canadas starting goalie would be 3rd string ont he U.S...

And don't tell me that next year, Martin St. Louis is better than Phil Kessel, Zach Parise and Patrick Kane..Thats just ridiculous.

miller?  Hes. still good.  About as good as marty.  Does tt play?  Quick will be your starter.  Miller and TT would not be our starter.  Thats too funny.  

I cant tell you the leading scorer in the league from this year will be better then those 3.  Why cant i.  Why is this ridiculous.  

all of a sudden miller and tt are starters for canada and st louis who wins the scoring title isnt better then those three.   How does this work?   

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

No not the same ones as 2010 - that was NHL sized ice - Sochi won't be. Since the NHL started playing in the Olympics you know how many medals Canada's won on International sized ice?

Zero

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Ive stated Quick is the best goalie in the world.  Pretty sure i have stated this numerous times.   Hes amazing.  your team has other goalies that are up there as well in anderson especially.  But he wont play.   id rather have our problem of depth at every other position.  We only need one avg goalie who my guess will be price.  Price/Smith and possibly jake allen or ward(whos been injured).  

Your top fwds are kane and kessel And parise.  Parise might make our team.  Kessel kane wouldnt.  they likely wouldnt make our second team.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Im conceding the better goalie as your only edge.  If you score one goal you will not beat us.  Quick will not play better then miller did.  You still lost.  

Don't need anyone else!

The US forwards aren't the Jamaican Bobsled Team, nor are the US dmen.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

No not the same ones as 2010 - that was NHL sized ice - Sochi won't be. Since the NHL started playing in the Olympics you know how many medals Canada's won on International sized ice?

Zero

And nhl players have been competing since?   Who has faster fwds then canada, who has more mobile defense?   Answer is no one.  So essentially the usa team wont be as good with a brooks orpik playing.  Keith, letang, pk, drew, shea, peitrangelo?  Not an issue.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

ward- stanley cup

None of them.

miller?  Hes. still good.  About as good as marty.  Does tt play?  Quick will be your starter.  Miller and TT would not be our starter.  Thats too funny.  

I cant tell you the leading scorer in the league from this year will be better then those 3.  Why cant i.  Why is this ridiculous.  

all of a sudden miller and tt are starters for canada and st louis who wins the scoring title isnt better then those three.   How does this work?   

So you think Martin St. Louis is a better player player than Kessel,Kane and Parise? I get he led the league in points. That obviously translates to wins.

Team Canada is going to be terrific, but your argument can't be "take Quick out"...when he's the starting goalie.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Don't need anyone else!

The US forwards aren't the Jamaican Bobsled Team, nor are the US dmen.

They are when compared to canadas.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Your top fwds are kane and kessel And parise.  Parise might make our team.  Kessel kane wouldnt.  they likely wouldnt make our second team.  

Of course Kane would make the Canadian team.

You're off your rocker on this, amigo!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

And GOD HELP ME.  For at least two years now, I've been telling you this:

THERE IS NO "P" IN STAMKOS!

(50% chance by this time you're just doing it to get my goat)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Shupe, Canada will be a powerhouse for sure - but they were big favourites going into both Nagano and Turin. I think you're being way too overconfident.

And Kane makes Team Canada in a heart beat.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

ward- stanley cup

None of them.

So you think Martin St. Louis is a better player player than Kessel,Kane and Parise? I get he led the league in points. That obviously translates to wins.

Team Canada is going to be terrific, but your argument can't be "take Quick out"...when he's the starting goalie.

No, im saying quick will be what you rest your chances on.  I dont care you have anderson tt miller bc they will play as much as the coach.  Yes i think st louis is better then the three you mentioned.  He isnt slowing down.  Translates to wins?  he has as many cups as those guys Doesnt he?  He lead the league in scoring yet its his fault the team loses.  iggy must be terrible as well.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Of course Kane would make the Canadian team.

You're off your rocker on this, amigo!

over who?  Who does he beat out?  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

And GOD HELP ME.  For at least two years now, I've been telling you this:

THERE IS NO "P" IN STAMKOS!

(50% chance by this time you're just doing it to get my goat)

67% chance you are correct.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Shupe, Canada will be a powerhouse for sure - but they were big favourites going into both Nagano and Turin. I think you're being way too overconfident.

Over who.  Who do you leave off canada?   

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

over who?  Who does he beat out?  

We'll have to wait until the roster comes out to discuss this one.

I can't believe it's less than a year away.  I love Olympic hockey!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Marchand,Dupuis,Neal,Kunitz,Iginla...Kane is a better hockey player than those players.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Let's use Hockey Central's current projected lineup as the starting point.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/hockey-central-team-canada-sochi-olympic-rosters/

Kane would beat out Hall, Seguin, Eberle, Benn, Hall, and Sharp easily.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Marchand, Dupuis,Iginla,Kunitz,Sharpe,Neal...Patrick Kane is simply a better hockey player than these guys.

That was my team off the guys remaining in the cup final.  haha.  But yes.  He would make it over dupuis.   Thats it.  Marchand is every bit the player kane is in every situation.  kane is offense. Stick handles nice.  But give me iggy, marchand, sharp or neal in my own end every day over kane.