Observation: When a team is in a slump, the fan base seems to blame it on 3rd and 4th liners

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

Observation: When a team is in a slump, the fan base seems to blame it on 3rd and 4th liners

This is by no means a scientific analysis, but when I read threads on some of the Fan bases it seems that when the home team is going thru a slump, much of the blame seems to be directed to players that are on the 3rd and 4th lines, or the 3rd defensive pairings.

I was just sampling some of the latest fan reaction here, and there seems to be a lot of comments on Pouliot and Corvo for example.

When the Leafs go thru similiar stretches the fan base thinks we need to trade all the 3rd and 4th liners or the 6th and 7th defensemen for quality players and that will solve everything.

What is truly the expectation of players playing on the 3rd and 4th lines when it comes to goal scoring?  Are they meeting those expectations?  Pouliot numbers don't seem that bad, albeit I don't see him play very often.

Perhaps I'm old school, but your best players have to be your best players and when things aren't going well, it usually means your best players are not being your best players.

Just a thought....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Re: Observation: When a team is in a slump, the fan base seems to blame it on 3rd and 4th liners

Odd timing LRH, I just made a post about this in the trade thread. Reading some other boards and there seems to be a general consensus that Boston has the best 4th line in hockey. Are we as a fan base, and close to this team, overlooking something other fans are seeing in comparison? Just a question.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgrif008. Show bgrif008's posts

Re: Observation: When a team is in a slump, the fan base seems to blame it on 3rd and 4th liners

Its the whole team right now. Just not executing. Theyve been a 500 club now for the past dozen games or so. Maybe more or less. Not sure. Anyway, they are going through a lull or funk or whatever you want to call it. Thing is. The players know what they need to do, just doesnt happen every game. All that matters is the playoffs and executing there. If you cant turn it up a notch in the playoffs, then you shouldnt be playing any sport for that matter. I think they will be fine come playoffs. Even though its a little frustrating to watch right now. But Im not worried.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

In Response to Re: Observation: When a team is in a slump, the fan base seems to blame it on 3rd and 4th liners:
    [QUOTE]Odd timing LRH, I just made a post about this in the trade thread. Reading some other boards and there seems to be a general consensus that Boston has the best 4th line in hockey. Are we as a fan base, and close to this team, overlooking something other fans are seeing in comparison? Just a question.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

NO, I think that observation is probably accurate when it comes to the Bruins 4th line.  I was mostly thinking of comments around Pouliot (he's 3rd line, isn't he?) and expectations on how much they should be contributing to the scoring and whether or not they're the reason why the team is in a funk.

Not sure what Lucic, Krecji,  and Seguin, numbers have been like in the past stretch (for example).

Seems like Bergeron and Marchand seem to be holding their own.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Yup, it seems to be human nature to attack the weakest link in difficult times. For success you need to support your weak points in times of trouble, that's why CJ is a great coach. But panic makes people react irrationally and often in a way that is detrimental to the group long-term.  I guess we are not too far from a heard of antilop, pointing out to the lions the slow runners in our group.  Eat them, they're slow! Don't eat me!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

I think Boston's 4th line is very good and for most of the season the 3rd line has also been very good. The 1st line has been inconsistent at times except for Lucic who has been solid from the start. Corvo gets picked on because he constantly makes dumb risky passes instead of making the simple play, his hockey IQ is terrible. Of course the B's poor play for the past month cannot be blamed on one guy but the final goal last night just typified Corvo's lazy terrible play.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

These threads are really getting wacky. Campbell and Paille are very good 4th line players. Their right wing is a reasonably good pugilist, however after Toronto [Orr], and Pittsburgh dump their pugilists, there may no longer be a position for minimally skilled players. Pouliot could not perform on the Bruins 4th line because he is inconsistent, erratic, fumbles a lot, and falls a lot. Obnviously the Bruins need to strengthen their weak points if they intend to win another Cup. It's now in Peter's court, so let's see how he responds once again. He's usually pretty good.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

LRH, I have no problem with the Bs 4th it's the best I've seen since the 90', 91', 83' and 77' through 79' Bruins squads more than likely this years version is better. On my P00 P00 post I'm not happy with the 3rd line production as of late because one player is out. That probably just should be directed at what players are available to Julien in Providence and that is on PC whom he has had as coaches for the P-Bruins.

What is your take on Colborne's numbers with the Marlies vs. Joe's #s with Providence ? Tons of talent around him (those cusp NHLrs that score 30+ in the minors every year) ? a real good coach ?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

In Response to Re: Observation: When a team is in a slump, the fan base seems to blame it on 3rd and 4th liners:
    [QUOTE]LRH, I have no problem with the Bs 4th it's the best I've seen since the 90', 91', 83' and 77' through 79' Bruins squads more than likely this years version is better. On my P00 P00 post I'm not happy with the 3rd line production as of late because one player is out. That probably just should be directed at what players are available to Julien in Providence and that is on PC whom he has had as coaches for the P-Bruins. What is your take on Colborne's numbers with the Marlies vs. Joe's #s with Providence ? Tons of talent around him (those cusp NHLrs that score 30+ in the minors every year) ? a real good coach ?
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

I think Colborne is still a project.  He has his moments and then he's medicore at times as well.

Hard to assess him lately because he's been playing hurt for awhile.  Eakins is a great coach and I think the Leafs are lucky to have him as their minor league coach  Not sure if he sticks around though because there's been reports that he might get an NHL offer.

I think Colborne will become the 3rd line center for the Leafs as early as next year unless he's packaged in a trade.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Sandog, lots of comments on the Providence team, but , in fact, a number of players are still very young [under 23] plus  a number of defensemen are from the college ranks. In observing other NHL teams, with successful college grads, most are 27 or older. That leads me to believe that it has taken longer for college grad defensemen to obtain the same skills as those defensemen who progressed thru Juniors.  With the Bruins NHL team core being quite young, up front, there are fewer openings at the forward position, and with the Providence "D" still learning, under respected coaching, Peter will have to turn to a trade to augment the Bruins defense. This doesn't really address the posted subject, but my preference would be to leave the top two lines alone, as long as Horton comes back; then move Peverly back with Kelly, move Caron onto the 4th line, and let Thornton be the 13th forward. This all means that my concern is with the defense, Corvo, Boychuck, and even Ference; plus the two forwards mentioned.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Observation: When a team is in a slump, the fan base seems to blame it on 3rd and 4th liners:[QUOTE]  With the Bruins NHL team core being quite young, up front, there are fewer openings at the forward position, and with the Providence "D" still learning, under respected coaching, Peter will have to turn to a trade to augment the Bruins defense. This doesn't really address the posted subject, but my preference would be to leave the top two lines alone, as long as Horton comes back; then move Peverly back with Kelly, move Caron onto the 4th line, and let Thornton be the 13th forward. This all means that my concern is with the defense, Corvo, Boychuck, and even Ference; plus the two forwards mentioned. Posted by bogie6[/QUOTE]

^Yeppers and my point about Providence is that PC doesn't really have anywhere to turn with Arniel n Sauve having let down years after promise the previous year. Good points all the way around!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

This team is built around balanced scoring... so 3rd line (and 4th) is expected to contribute. Pouliot and Kelly have done little for the score sheet in some time. I'm not saying trade them as I think they do other things well and are good contracts... but they need to get engaged and on the board a little more.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.