Off-season: Bruins must turn page into new era

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from superj2k10. Show superj2k10's posts

Off-season: Bruins must turn page into new era

If the Stanley Cup Finals have not been an indication of how the NHL is trending then switch the channel. L.A. and New York have become the model by which teams may want to alter their identity moving forward. Both teams made bold moves at the trade deadline, L.A. acquired Marian Gaborik and NY added Martin St. Louis. What do both have in common? Top end speed and world class skill. Both have been an integral part of their team's success.  Ironically, there were rumors swirling that Gaborik was to end up in Boston but the B's brass did not believe his skill set will blend in with the team's current makeup. Not like PC cares too much about being anointed as a trade deadline winner right? 

Maybe it was just ignorance on the part of the Bruins as they failed to identify a teams needs and deficiencies. The point? Its time to adapt or sink to the abyss of irrelevancy.

The Bruins have their work cut out for them with just $9mill (projected) cap space and a handful of RFA/UFA to sign. Lets be realistic here, the word "tweak" is not part of the equation and definitely wont be the solution to the identity crisis that's currently hunting the Bruins. Who ever thinks that resigning Jarome Iginla and trading Bartkowski for a third line winger will solve your problems then you are purely naive.

The Bruins must be creative this off-season and it may involve cutting ties with some household names. This team needs to balance its lineup and the only way to accomplish such may be through bold trades. Players like Milan Lucic, David Krejci & Brad Marchand are assets that would fetch a nice return in order to round out your roster.

Some people may look the names mentioned and think there is no way Bruins will be a better team without them. I may be in the minority on this but I beg to differ. Krejci is a tremendous talent, great vision, high hockey IQ and can control the game on his stick. That being said, he is very streaky, 10 points in 5 games, then 3 points over his next 15 games. However, despite his no-show in this years playoffs he is a proven performer and thats something you would sell teams on. He may have the highest value of the group and is entering the last year of his deal. Rumor had it that Krejci may be looking for $6.5-$7mill /yr. The Bruins simply dont have that money.

Trade target regarding David Krejci? Jordan Eberle, Edmonton Oilers. EDM has a great need at center as RNH is still developing. They need a #1 center with experience and Krejci gives them just that.

Eberle is a pure scorer, with high end speed and skill and is still a very young player. He will be a tremendous fit in Boston.

Trading Krejci will obviously leave a hole at center, or would it? Patrice Bergeron is not flashy but boy is he as steady as they come at making players around him better. He has the talent and the will to be a very good #1 on this team. The evolution of Soderberg and infusion of Spooner will make this move plausible.

My intention was not to start a trade-machine type of discussion, rather bring to light the issues that hinder the Bruins from possible success.  

Contrary to reports, I feel this is going to be a very busy summer for the Bruins. Expect the unexpected...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobruins. Show bobruins's posts

Re: Off-season: Bruins must turn page into new era

Marian Gaborik only wanted to go to LA & Martin St. Louis only wanted to be traded to NYR.........is there anything that PC could have done ???

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from superj2k10. Show superj2k10's posts

In response to bobruins' comment:

Marian Gaborik only wanted to go to LA & Martin St. Louis only wanted to be traded to NYR.........is there anything that PC could have done ???

Those were examples, not limitations. They were other skilled players available via trade, PC chose to stay the course...Backfire.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Don-Bruino. Show Don-Bruino's posts

Sometimes some teams get lucky at the deadline (LA & NYR) oftentimes they are shiite out of luck.

For LA's fortune with Gaborik, he will fly the coop in the summer, and they can't afford an equivalent replacement. Let's see them make the Final next year.

For NYR, the arrival of St. Louis means the departure of top six forward in the summer, because they don't have cap space. Let's see them try and make the final next year, too.

Both will need lots of luck? The LA toughness won't help them. NYR's speed won't help them either.

So now you want the Bruins to open the paddock doors and let the horses out so they can join LA and NYR watch the 2015 Stanley Final?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

To say that the two teams in the NHL Finals are somehow uniquely qualified because they both have 'world class skill' seems somewhat obvious.

Any contender has to have world class skill.  As far as speed, that helps too, but it isn't what sets them apart from other contenders.  Tons of reasons why those two teams are there, but neither has more world class skill or speed than say Chicago.

More than individual skill traits, like speed, I would say the team depth, scoring depth, health, coaching, opportunism, chemistry, and goaltending are probably more important to winning in the playoffs.

In the age of salary cap parity, the Bruins lost a 7 game series to a good team in the 2nd round of the playoffs, after losing in the finals last year and winning a Cup three years ago.  To respond to that by somehow determining that the roster is not built correctly, and we must model after LA and NY, is silly.  

I hope that Chiarelli is actively trying to improve the roster, but this 'blow it up' talk because we should be more like LA and sign Gaborik talk is short-sighted.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

PC doesnt have a history of making a big splash at the deadline, he obviously thought the team he had was good enuf when in fact it wasnt. I think rask could of been better and with the D so inexpeirenved, that sealed the fare. If you wanna talk about the cap, then yes someone has to go, I for one think its time for chara to go but thats just me. I would rather have a doughty or girardi. I do beleive there will be something serious happen at the draft, i think the Bs wanna trade for a better pick to begin with. The rumour of boychuk and marchand is still flying.  This talk about the LA and Rangers is a good example of the speed game as was MTL that affected the BS. I for one would love to see the 4th line vamped up, ST is done, paille is still a good fit and campbell, would be better without ST.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

I would rather PC took a good hard look at his roster to determine where the team is deficient and try to make improvements in those areas rather than copying a couple of specific moves that helped this year's finalists. There are too many other variables that got those 2 teams to the finals. It very well may be that that the upgrade that the B's need is a high-skilled sniper or maybe they just needed their goal scorers to do something like, I don't know...score goals?

I think there is a fine line between Boston and the other elites but I think both Chicago and LA are better. Not sure on the Rangers, though. So the B's need to get a little better. Although I don't think there is a need to blow things up, it make take something more than a minor move to make that small improvement to catch up to Chicago and LA. Perhaps a top 6 forward goes out with a prospect or a pick and lands the piece they need.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

In response to wallydouglas' comment:
    [QUOTE]

PC doesnt have a history of making a big splash at the deadline, he obviously thought the team he had was good enuf when in fact it wasnt. I think rask could of been better and with the D so inexpeirenved, that sealed the fare. If you wanna talk about the cap, then yes someone has to go, I for one think its time for chara to go but thats just me. I would rather have a doughty or girardi. I do beleive there will be something serious happen at the draft, i think the Bs wanna trade for a better pick to begin with. The rumour of boychuk and marchand is still flying.  This talk about the LA and Rangers is a good example of the speed game as was MTL that affected the BS. I for one would love to see the 4th line vamped up, ST is done, paille is still a good fit and campbell, would be better without ST.

[/QUOTE]
     Wally - I think PC may have realized his team needed something more than a couple of nearly useless depth D-men. He tried to pull off a larger deal (Edler) but it didn't work out. I strongly suspect PC knew his team was lacking cup quality D despite his public comments of confidence in his young guys.

[object HTMLDivElement]

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from socca10. Show socca10's posts

This is the epitome of "run to the other side of the boat" syndrome. OMG, we need to be tougher, like the Flyers! So, everyone wants to blow up the team and get bigger/tougher. OMG, we need to be faster, like the Blackhawks! So, everyone wants to blow up the team to get faster. Ad infinitum/ad nauseum.

Maybe PC and the Bruins should have gotten a shiny superstar and then plotted to kill off someone close to him, so as to motivate the team better. St. Louis had 1 goal and 7 assists in 19 games with the NYR. Not exactly a game-changer, especially when you consider the guy he replaced out-produced him during the remainder of the regular season. The Bruins swept the Rangers in the regular season, including a couple of blowout wins. They beat the Rangers in 5 games in the playoff last season. But today, the Rangers "have become the model by which teams may want to alter their identity moving forward."

The Kings were already a pretty model-like organization, and picking up Gaborik has paid off for them. But if you think not getting a "snipah" is THE REASON the Bruins aren't playing right now, you're nuts.

Unbelievable.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

In response to wallydouglas' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Who wouldn't want a Doughty? he's the best in the league and he's not going anywhere. Girardi isn't even remotely close to him. I think Chara even at his advanced age is still better than him. I don't get all the love people seem to bestow on DG. He's very good no doubt, but the Rags just signed him to a 5 year extension and it's not like he's an offensive juggernaut or remotely as good as Z defensively.

I do not agree that the Bruins need to blow it up or model themselves after the Kings or Rangers, They had a poor playoff but this team was great this year and built to contend for the next 3 years at least. 

----proud member of the ZTT taskforce-----

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Monkey!  Hey, monkey!  Monkey!!  Look!  Look, monkey!!  See?  See what I'm doing, monkey?  Now...you do it monkey!  C'mon, monkey!  C'mon....c'mon, monkey...c'mon!!  Yes!!! Good monkey!!!

Are you not entertained?!?!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to marco0863's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Btw. Hope u had gab in ur pools .... right guys?  

Pc could never gab... he 

doesn' excel in all zones .blah blah.... ask yourselves where are the kings this year without Gab and where are rangers without st louis. Mez was all we needed  wasn't it?

Gotto love it. ... sure would like to know whst book has to sa on this.  What justification to expect. ..

[/QUOTE]

PC should have traded for all of the snipers so no one else would have anyone to put on the ice except ECHL call ups.  AutoCUP!

[object HTMLDivElement]

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Monkey!  Hey, monkey!  Monkey!!  Look!  Look, monkey!!  See?  See what I'm doing, monkey?  Now...you do it monkey!  C'mon, monkey!  C'mon....c'mon, monkey...c'mon!!  Yes!!! Good monkey!!!

[/QUOTE]

HA! This is good. I hope you gave your monkey a banana as a reward. Or a PBR or whatever he drinks.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Seriously, though, if you really want to know what I have to say about it....

The best forward in the playoffs is Anze Kopitar. Guess who is benefitting from that?  Marty St. Louis is a great player.  If he was available to everyone, it would have been great to see him in Boston.  He wasn't; he isn't. And the Bruins shut him down playing the same way they do now - if the Bruins had completed the comeback in game 7 vs. Montreal, I think the Rangers are golfing and the Bruins and Kings are going at it hammer and tongs. NYR also got him by giving up a guy who they knew wouldn't re-sign at a price they could afford.

You can get all high and mighty about the couple of guys who worked out, but that always means putting on your blinders about all the deadline acquisition guys who crap the bed, walk in July, and leave you with nothing.  Far, far more common.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to WalkTheLine's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

HA! This is good. I hope you gave your monkey a banana as a reward. Or a PBR or whatever he drinks.

[/QUOTE]

Pack of Camels and a fifth of Lamb's.  It's a monkey....

[object HTMLDivElement]

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

So you are saying by acquiring Gaborik,the B's would all of a sudden be a blazing fast team? What you fail to mention is that Brown,Carter,Toffoli,Richards,Mitchell,Greene,Muzzin,Kopitar,Clifford, & Lewis don't have blazing fast speed and the Kings are in the finals.We can pontificate all day long about how much an impact Marian Gaborik would have had in the Bruins scheme of things but one thing we can all agree on,if he got bitten by the same bug that caused 13 posts and numerous missed open nets,then the B's would have suffered the same fate. I dare say the Bruins would have given the Kings a run for their money had they made the final,but they didn't and thats shame on them,they'll have all summer to think about it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sobchack. Show Sobchack's posts

The Bruins lost their focus and fell to the Habs.  Period.  

LA, right now, has the right to brag about being the best team in the NHL, top-to-bottom. Cup in 2012, WCF 2013, Cup in 2014 (they will wipe the ice with the Rags). 

The Kings are so darn similar to the Bs, but they are bigger in size in a lot of positions.  They are locked in.  And yo have to credit Sutter for keeping them that way.  They exposed the unspoken weakness of the Blackhawks - their D can be porous.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

Op is no troll right? I feel like I recognize the name 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chappy28. Show Chappy28's posts

The Kings are actually a very similar make-up to the Bruins.

You can't speak about the playoffs as if the best roster wins, because that is just not the way it works.  Others have said it, but a good team gets you to the playoffs over an 82 game season (more games = sample mean is closer to the true mean).  However, once the playoffs start, all bets are off.  It is a gauntlet of 7 games series.  If you let your guard down, or don't play to your potential for one of those then it's all over.  Never mind other factors like puck luck, running into a hot goalie, etc.  People should not even try to oversimplify the playoffs to a single roster player or trade that could have been.  heck, we could have traded for Gaborik and had him get hurt before the playoffs even started.

I do however like that somebody is actually being creative here and suggesting something other than "trade Marchand" or "get rid of Thornton"

You should deal from a position of strength to shore up the relative weaknesses of the team.  I don't think there is any debate that our team strength is at center while our relative weakness is at wing, and perhaps a case could be made for another top 4 D-man.

The problem is, who doesn't like our centers?  Krecji & Bergeron are both top flight 2-way centers that belong in the top 6 of any team in the league.  Soderberg made a pretty strong case that he is top 6 material, if not the best 3rd line center in the league.  And down in Providence we have 2 centers that project to be top 6 talents in Spooner and Koko.

To me, trading Marchand makes zero sense.  People complain about our speed, our finish, and our lack of "skilled" players, and somehow the answer  is to trade one of the fastest, shiftiest, highest scoring players on our roster.  I get the gripes about not scoring in recent playoffs, but you can't name a player on the team who has not under-performed in the playoffs of recent past.  Despite his lack of goals, I'm pretty sure that Marchand was working hard and creating more offence than his top 6 counterparts.  If he could just hit open nets he finishes the playoffs with 3G, 5A which puts him towards the top of our playoff points list.  Plus --- does anybody remember this????  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pLIwYq0IpM" rel="nofollow">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pLIwYq0IpM

One of the best goals that I've seen in years, and there isn't anybody else on the team that would score that goal.

So, as far as I'm concerned everybody is overreacting with this "sky is falling" reaction to not winning the cup this year.  You don't win the Presidents trophy with a flawed roster, and a great roster does not guarantee the cup.  I'd rather see the Bruins move one of their many really good centers to get a scoring winger or another top level D than see Marchand traded out for somebody who might be as good as he is --- and that is a big might, because in the grand scheme of things Marchand is a very good player. 

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to marco0863's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Gab great addition

Going back.. guys like gab and st louis only  good for pools

When ur so close like the bruins u go get a guy like that

Ummm.. imagine gab winnin g conn smythe.

[/QUOTE]

St. Louis wanted to be traded,only one problem,Rangers were the only team that he would go to. Gaborik was available,but you wanted Tomas Vanish instead,which is it?

Sections
Shortcuts