Off-season, low-odds scenario

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

Off-season, low-odds scenario

So, say the Bruins retain all of their players this year (Horton, Rask, etc). I don't think that's outside the realm of possibility, and I would think that it's part of the team's plans, but who knows.

I know loads of people think that the Bruins are missing a 9th forward, and justifiably so. Bourque isn't the answer, and neither is Caron. Nor is Paille, who is perfect for the 4th line.

If Bergeron is as much of a team player as he says he is, do you try Spooner out on the 2nd line with Seguin and Marchand and try to create some offense, and bump Bergeron down to the 3rd line and make a Kelly-Bergeron-Peverley line, which would form the best defensive line in the league, and would add some scoring punch?

The way I see it, Spooner is every bit as ready to go as Krejci was when he first came up. In just over half a season, he turned Tardif into one of the best goal scorers in the AHL and helped him match his career high, and is nearly a point-per-game player himself.

Granted, this is all speculation, and would probably be an unpopular move to "demote" Bergeron, and would obviously require some serious evaluation of Spooner and the B's organization would have to deem him ready, but it would also free up some cap space at the deadline for them to acquire another defenseman or whatever they felt was necessary.

And who knows if this has already been thrown around here.....I was gone for a few months haha. My apologies if that's the case. But just think.....

Lucic-Krejci-Horton

Marchand-Spooner-Seguin

Kelly-Bergeron-Peverley

Paille-Campbell- ?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Re: Off-season, low-odds scenario

It would be unpopular with everyone including Bergeron.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

NO because they r not going to break up one of the hottest lines in the NHL now. The other problem is they want Seguin to continue to develop, and Marchand still learning to play in his own end. Plus why would you take one of the top 3 ,2 way players in the league and put him on third line. Plus PB is starting to find his offense a little bit.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Seguin would increase the scoring on the fourth line also, but you don't subtract from a primary positive to fix a secondary negative. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to stinkman's comment:

NO because they r not going to break up one of the hottest lines in the NHL now. The other problem is they want Seguin to continue to develop, and Marchand still learning to play in his own end. Plus why would you take one of the top 3 ,2 way players in the league and put him on third line. Plus PB is starting to find his offense a little bit.

Marchard is gold in his own end.  Any better, he'd be a defenseman.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

You don't know that Caron isn't the answer. He's 22 years old. There are many players drafted in 2009 who are just recently seeing some success in the bigs. Leafs fans were calling Kadri a bust only 6 weeks ago.  It's taken him this long to crack the lowly Leafs lineup. Why do folks think it should've been as easy for Caron to stay in Boston? It's not an easy lineup to slide into. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

I personally don't mind letting horton walk.  His head issues scare me.  I also have no issue letting a few of the young guys getting a chance.  ST, AF, Horton all expendible In my eyes. 

i would lock up Rask, sign a reliable nhl veteran dman to replace AF.  I would go youth on 3rd and 4th lines to fill in.  And then i would take a run at Perry.   

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I don't think it's wise to write off Jordan Caron so soon. Not usre I'd have my best forward on the 3rd line either. I think they will try to retain their core players though, allot of it depends on when/if Rask signs an extension. If he signs it during the season, I'd argue it would be significantly less than the off-season, especially if continues to play at this level and goes deep into the playoffs. Horton, same thing.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

In response to stinkman's comment:

Marchard is gold in his own end.  Any better, he'd be a defenseman.

He's come a long way. I was just going back to what Coach Jullien said last year. Trust me i am a big fan of Marchand.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

And I'm not saying that it wouldn't be a shrewed move, because it absolutely would be.

Before I go on, I know you have been to a lot of Providence games, NAS. What is your assessment of Spooner? Obviously he's putting up a good amount of points for playing with career AHL-er Tardif, but are there huge holes in his game? Size is obviously a big one, as he seems pretty skinny.

I understand that moving Bergeron off that line and sliding Spooner in there (again, if he's deemed NHL ready) would possibly take a little bit away from the 2nd line. However, is it really outside the realm of possibility for Marchand and Seguin to both still put up 60-70 points with Spooner on their line? I'd also contend that Peverley and Kelly's stats would go up significantly.

Say the 2nd line loses 15 goals overall...I'd go ahead and say that the 3rd line would more than compensate that by putting Bergeron between Kelly and Peverley.

Again, I understand that it would be shrewd and I haven't seen enough of Spooner to know how NHL ready he is, and I accept that.

Sections
Shortcuts