Off topic: road trip to Nova Scotia

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Hello to our friends north of the 49th: we're taking a road trip to NS and could use some advice. Priorities include music (the more ceilidhs, the better), hiking/camping, paddling, tasty vittles/beverages and generally soaking up the culture (esp Cape Breton). We'll have 4 days in the province to explore.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Re: Off topic: road trip to Nova Scotia

4 days is not enough! When are you travelling, how are you arriving?

In Response to Off topic: road trip to Nova Scotia:
    [QUOTE]Hello to our friends north of the 49th: we're taking a road trip to NS and could use some advice. Priorities include music (the more ceilidhs, the better), hiking/camping, paddling, tasty vittles/beverages and generally soaking up the culture (esp Cape Breton). We'll have 4 days in the province to explore.
    Posted by asmaha[/QUOTE]

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Driving up from Portland, ME...it's actually 6 days but I'm figuring in the drive up and back already.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

...Summered in Glace Bay during my teens.

Found out what a "two four" was.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups-7. Show soups-7's posts

[QUOTE]Hello to our friends north of the 49th: we're taking a road trip to NS and could use some advice. Priorities include music (the more ceilidhs, the better), hiking/camping, paddling, tasty vittles/beverages and generally soaking up the culture (esp Cape Breton). We'll have 4 days in the province to explore.
    Posted by asmaha[/QUOTE]

Olands is actually a better ale than Alexander Keith's

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups-7. Show soups-7's posts

Posted by asmaha[/QUOTE]

If you are heading to CB then this is the place. Home to Buddy MacMaster and the legend Dan Rory MacDonald. The shoe in Mabou is owned by the Rankin Family. Good vibe. Packs up quick though when a fiddler is in the house.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups-7. Show soups-7's posts

Posted by asmaha[/QUOTE]

Soups is from the Clan Campbell

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davinator. Show Davinator's posts

Posted by asmaha[/QUOTE]

Have a great trip here in the Atlantic Provinces....

To clarify, the 49th parallel is the common term for the border between the US and Canada and is defined by the line across the the southern boundaries of Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta and British Columbia.

However, 99% of the Atlantic provinces are below that line...northern New Brunswick is around 48º and the southern tip of Nova Scotia is around 43º.
    (The northern tip of Newfoundland is approx. 52º latitude.)

FYI.
    Again, welcome to Canada.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

Hey asmaha !  Being to the East Coast twice now from out here in Western Canada. As oatscam mentioned 4 days is tight, so for my money, if I were faced with just 4 days, I would head to Cape Breton right away. You will find fantastic Celtic music, fantasic seafood, oh !, fantastic people and fantastic scenery. If you golf you can do Highland Links, many times voted Canada's #1 golf course. And if you like Scotch whiskey there is the Glen Breton distillary that makes a single malt Canadian whiskey, in the style of a Scotch whiskey. Then there is the Cabot Trail. A must drive ( 3 or 4 hours is all ). And for history there is the Alexander Grahem Bell house and musem. As well as some other really nice golf courses. Sydney is a great place to stay. The Delta Hotels, Loose Moose pup & grill, is a great spot, as is Badeck and Glace Bay. I wish it were me....You need more time to see the rest of Nova Scotia. Peggy's Cove, Lunemberg, Bridgewater, Digby, Halifax, but that would take a whole lot longer to visit. Enjoy your trip and give us a post when you get back and tell us of the highlights...cheers !!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

In Response to Re: Off topic: road trip to Nova Scotia:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Off topic: road trip to Nova Scotia : Have a great trip here in the Atlantic Provinces.... To clarify, the 49th parallel is the common term for the border between the US and Canada and is defined by the line across the the southern boundaries of Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta and British Columbia. However, 99% of the Atlantic provinces are below that line...northern New Brunswick is around 48º and the southern tip of Nova Scotia is around 43º. (The northern tip of Newfoundland is approx. 52º latitude.) FYI. Again, welcome to Canada.
    Posted by Davinator[/QUOTE]

Yah, I know. I live at 43.80 myself and spend plenty of time north of the border. It was just a cheeky phrase. Whereabouts are you these days?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Off topic: road trip to Nova Scotia : If you are heading to CB then this is the place. Home to Buddy MacMaster and the legend Dan Rory MacDonald. The shoe in Mabou is owned by the Rankin Family. Good vibe. Packs up quick though when a fiddler is in the house. http://www.celticmusiccentre.com/   http://redshoepub.com/
    Posted by soups-7[/QUOTE]

#1 on the list...and we look to spend as much of our time on Cape Breton as possible. Most likely will drive straight there and back, unless y'all tell me I can't miss spending some time in Saint John to enjoy the Bay on the way, or spending some time in Halifax is worth it.

Keep the hole-in-the-wall advice coming! Gotta get my fill of music, dance, fiddles, bagpipes, hiking, scotch and all the other things my Clan Gordon wife will love.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

[QUOTE]Hey asmaha !  Being to the East Coast twice now from out here in Western Canada. As oatscam mentioned 4 days is tight, so for my money, if I were faced with just 4 days, I would head to Cape Breton right away. You will find fantastic Celtic music, fantasic seafood, oh !, fantastic people and fantastic scenery. If you golf you can do Highland Links, many times voted Canada's #1 golf course. And if you like Scotch whiskey there is the Glen Breton distillary that makes a single malt Canadian whiskey, in the style of a Scotch whiskey. Then there is the Cabot Trail. A must drive ( 3 or 4 hours is all ). And for history there is the Alexander Grahem Bell house and musem. As well as some other really nice golf courses. Sydney is a great place to stay. The Delta Hotels, Loose Moose pup & grill, is a great spot, as is Badeck and Glace Bay. I wish it were me....You need more time to see the rest of Nova Scotia. Peggy's Cove, Lunemberg, Bridgewater, Digby, Halifax, but that would take a whole lot longer to visit. Enjoy your trip and give us a post when you get back and tell us of the highlights...cheers !!!
    Posted by Stuke50[/QUOTE]

Excellent - thanks! Loose Moose looked promising. Since moving to ME 3 years ago, I've spent more time in California, Arizona and Florida for work than exploring the north. It's time, and can't wait to take this trip. We're planning MTL and QC for 2012-2013 winter to catch a game and enjoy the winter carnival.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups-7. Show soups-7's posts

Stuke good call, it is the Glenora Distillery and it makes Glen Breton whiskey. They lost a lawsuit, they started out calling it scotch but then big brother got involved.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

Glen Breton retails out here in Jasper @ $90 / bottle !!!   I love that island. IAM going back one day and will spend at least 2 weeks, hopefully more, roaming around. PS : mountains aren't too shabby either to visit !

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davinator. Show Davinator's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Off topic: road trip to Nova Scotia : Yah, I know. I live at 43.80 myself and spend plenty of time north of the border. It was just a cheeky phrase. Whereabouts are you these days?
    Posted by asmaha[/QUOTE]

I am originally from Ontario, but now live in southern New Brunswick - Saint John(same as dez).

You will be travelling through our fair city on the way to CB.

Actually, you could come to Saint John and take the ferry to Digby, Nova Scotia and take the drive through NS to CB.

Here is a link: http://www.nfl-bay.com/

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

[QUOTE]Hey asmaha !  Being to the East Coast twice now from out here in Western Canada. As oatscam mentioned 4 days is tight, so for my money, if I were faced with just 4 days, I would head to Cape Breton right away. You will find fantastic Celtic music, fantasic seafood, oh !, fantastic people and fantastic scenery. If you golf you can do Highland Links, many times voted Canada's #1 golf course. And if you like Scotch whiskey there is the Glen Breton distillary that makes a single malt Canadian whiskey, in the style of a Scotch whiskey. Then there is the Cabot Trail. A must drive ( 3 or 4 hours is all ). And for history there is the Alexander Grahem Bell house and musem. As well as some other really nice golf courses. Sydney is a great place to stay. The Delta Hotels, Loose Moose pup & grill, is a great spot, as is Badeck and Glace Bay. I wish it were me....You need more time to see the rest of Nova Scotia. Peggy's Cove, Lunemberg, Bridgewater, Digby, Halifax, but that would take a whole lot longer to visit. Enjoy your trip and give us a post when you get back and tell us of the highlights...cheers !!!
    Posted by Stuke50[/QUOTE]

Love the Glen Breton distillery -- a must stop, even if you're not a big single malt fan (though it may turn you into one).  The AGB museum in Baddeck is top notch -- guarantee that you'll learn at least a half dozen things about the man that you never had any idea about.

I'll take Lunenburg or Blue Rocks over Peggy's Cove anyday (the former are gorgeous, the latter a tourist trap). 

And Fortress Louisbourg is literally a time machine.  Incredible place.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Looking at 1.5 days in Halifax as a landing spot after a long ride, 2.5 days on Cape Breton and 2 days in Saint John on the way back. Would love to hear dez and davinator's thoughts on best use of time in their fair city as well. Thanks everyone. I really appreciate it. Too bad it'll be in June and not much happening on the ice.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups-7. Show soups-7's posts

[QUOTE]Looking at 1.5 days in Halifax as a landing spot after a long ride, 2.5 days on Cape Breton and 2 days in Saint John on the way back. Would love to hear dez and davinator's thoughts on best use of time in their fair city as well. Thanks everyone. I really appreciate it. Too bad it'll be in June and not much happening on the ice.
    Posted by asmaha[/QUOTE]

If you only have one night in Halifax here is where you get a beer, it is an institution on the waterfront.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccoul. Show ccoul's posts

I use to live in the Annapolis valley (100 km from Halifax). Girls there are easy.. i mean very easy, Families are Baptist extremist and chicks want out of there, they will put out in order to get  out of Dodge. Juss Sayin'

Go to Peggy's Cove, (40 mins from Halifax) its a must see, very kool place,  fish soup is amazing,Lobster are at prime right now

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccoul. Show ccoul's posts

If you see a girl with a very big nose, it could be Brad's sister  ;-)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Looking at 1.5 days in Halifax as a landing spot after a long ride, 2.5 days on Cape Breton and 2 days in Saint John on the way back. Would love to hear dez and davinator's thoughts on best use of time in their fair city as well. Thanks everyone. I really appreciate it. Too bad it'll be in June and not much happening on the ice.
    Posted by asmaha[/QUOTE]
    Too bad you couldn't have been here for this weekend. The Sea Dogs won in double OT last night in game 1 of the Q league final and are playing game 2 today. I guess I'd have to recommend the City Market on King st. It's been there since 1874. There's also lots of other historical stuff like Fort Howe but in reality, Saint John is a teriffic place to watch road construction happen. I personally like St. Martins alot (about an hour drive). You and the family can do a little spelunking when the tide is out.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]If you see a girl with a very big nose, it could be Brad's sister  ;-)
    Posted by ccoul[/QUOTE]

I'm at a loss for words.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

[QUOTE]I use to live in the Annapolis valley (100 km from Halifax). Girls there are easy.. i mean very easy, Families are Baptist extremist and chicks want out of there, they will put out in order to get  out of Dodge. Juss Sayin' Go to Peggy's Cove, (40 mins from Halifax) its a must see, very kool place,  fish soup is amazing,Lobster are at prime right now
    Posted by ccoul[/QUOTE]

I'm sure my wife and 15-mo daughter would love to see me try! Now fish soup, that sounds more my style.  :)  You crack me up, by the way. Hilarious.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davinator. Show Davinator's posts

Asmaha - what to see in Saint John depends on how you're travelling I suppose...

Accomodations:
    Camping? Rockwood Park is a large park within the city limits that is literally 5 mins from the uptown area.
    Hotel? Staying uptown, close to restaurants, bars...Hilton is on the waterfront and Delta Brunswick is a stone throw up our main drag, King Street. There are also a few other newer hotels on the outskirts (West: Travel Lodge, Comfort Inn...East: Best Western, Hampton Inn)

B&B? The pick of the bunch might be the Shadow Lawn Inn is in Rothesay(just east of town) and there is the St.Martins Inn and Quaco Inn in Dez's recommendation visit to St.Martins NB.

Sites?

Reversing Falls - a natural phenomena where the river changes direction (truthfully) when the tide is low and changes to high (a 20-25foot difference!).
    There is a nice restaurant and lookout to see the (slow) action.

Jet boat ride through the aforementioned rapids as the tide changes...Zip-lining over the  river is a new attraction, too.

Lily Lake - biking, hiking, picnic-ing, restaurant, etc.

Historically, uptown Saint John has some of the most beautiful architecture in Canada - including Dez's shout out to the City Market (interior roof trusses were designed to look like the interior of a ship's hull) and Market Square on the waterfront. A walking tour is interesting.

Restaurants:
    Market Square contains 4 or 5 good restaurants where you can sit outside in the summer months. The Saint John AleHouse and Boilerworks has great food.

Walking along Water Street(waterfront) you can take in seafood at Steamers Lobster Company.
    Off Water Street is Princess Street where you can visit(depending on your mood):
    O'Leary's - traditional Irish pub
    Big Tide Brewing Company -  microbrewery serving great pub fare
    Bourbon Quarter - more upscale fine dining
    Happinez Wine Bar
    Britts Pub - British Pub Fare

Hope it helps a little...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Off topic: road trip to Nova Scotia : I'm sure my wife and 15-mo daughter would love to see me try! Now fish soup, that sounds more my style.  :)  You crack me up, by the way. Hilarious.
    Posted by asmaha[/QUOTE]

For what it's worth. Cape Breton is an amazing place. I've done the PEI, NS, (not so much NB) and hands down I will always, always want to return to Cape Breton. Spend as much time as you can there ( no disrespect to the other fine Maritime places). I can hardly wait to return there myself.