officiating

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

officiating

Couldn't help but notice both NBC, and CBC analysts were admoished by their peers for criticising the officials yesterday.  Forget the B's for a moment, the refereeing has been on a terrible slide throughout the league for a while now, and it's really affecting the product.  Yet, the majority blindly defend the status quo, citing the reality that humans aren't perfect.  I was surprised how strongly the studio jumped on the referee bandwagon, and how forcefully they went after their own when the subject surfaced.
    We have twice as many refs as we used to.  We have video replay, yet, it's getting worse.
      The "human" argument is totally missing the point.
    Last nights "too many men" issue is a perfect example why.  Two referee's missing that call, is human error.  Those things will happen.
    It'll be tough to convince me, they both missed it.  I think they did catch it...yet, they didn't make the call.  Human error is missing the odd thing.  Choosing to ignore is incompetence.
    Therein lies a huge problem.
    My theory is that referee's are so micro managed and second guessed now...they don't know what to call. I certainly don't buy any kind of favoritism. They don't give a sh$t who wins.   I don't think they've all of a sudden decided to become incompetent either. They're just pulled and twisted in so many directions, by an employer who won't provide adequate direction.   Referee's used to decide what was, and wasn't acceptable on the ice.  What went on behind the scenes probably isn't much different than now...but now Shanny and the league office...what they publicly do...overtly undermines them.  Refs are so oversensitized to certain aspects...they're totally confused, and that spells only one thing.
    INCONSISTENCY.
    The call on Pouliot is another good example.  This "headshot" thing is so pronounced, some refs are developing a phobia.  I'm sure in hindsight...the guy can't believe he called that penalty.

I can really sympathize with the officials.   I have little respect for the league powerbrokers.   It's all their mess.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBruinss. Show BostonBruinss's posts

Re: officiating

I noticed CBC was quite miffed by the non call for too many man on the ice. The announcer went on an on about it. Good for them

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In Response to Re: officiating:
    [QUOTE]I noticed CBC was quite miffed by the non call for too many man on the ice. The announcer went on an on about it. Good for them
    Posted by BostonBruinss[/QUOTE]

PJ started on about it, and Ron MacLean and Kelly Whatsisname jumped right down Stocks throat. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

Steve - spot on! I've been saying this alll year. It's been horrible. The officiating has never been perfect but it has become absurd. The league needs to fix this because it is affecting the product negatively. They should:
    -Allow the refs and linesmen to consult on calls
    -Place an official in the pressbox for consultation
    -Use replay!
    -Train the zebras with the specific goal of consistancy in mind.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beorach. Show Beorach's posts

I keep going back to Ovie tackling Ference to set up the first goal two games ago.  The timing of the calls is another issue.  I hope we get our first bailout penalty with 2m left if we wind up needing it tonight for balancing matters.  p.s. - I thought I should add that a Bruins injury isn't worth stopping play to these officials (whereas we've seen that happen with the B's controlling the puck in the offensive zone for multiple Cap boo-boos).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

I've been hanging on to get through the first round so the league can trim the crews down a bit and hopefully clean some of this inconsistency up.  Seems to me the officials pool is watered down too much. 
    I get what you are saying Steve, but competent veteran officials should be able to perform despite that. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

The guys at CBC were confused enough that they called Terry Gregson for an explanation and he told them the guys on the ice did the right thing. Total BS that he was unwilling to just say "yeah, they blew it on that one".

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]The guys at CBC were confused enough that they called Terry Gregson for an explanation and he told them the guys on the ice did the right thing. Total BS that he was unwilling to just say "yeah, they blew it on that one".
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]
    I think Gregson didn't want to hang one of his crews out to dry on the spot although it was plain to see by everyone that they blew the call.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Yeah, the too many men was a blown call, but overall in this series compared to the other series', I don't think the refs have been that bad.

The linesmen though, wow, they've sucked. I used to know what an icing call was - now I have no clue. And like the other thread notes, they've been horrendous in the faceoffs.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Yeah, the too many men was a blown call, but overall in this series compared to the other series', I don't think the refs have been that bad. The linesmen though, wow, they've sucked. I used to know what an icing call was - now I have no clue. And like the other thread notes, they've been horrendous in the faceoffs.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]
    I'm glad you brought that up Red because I thought I was going crazy.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: officiating : I think Gregson didn't want to hang one of his crews out to dry on the spot although it was plain to see by everyone that they blew the call.
    Posted by 50belowzero[/QUOTE]
    50, I agree completely but I think he could've garnered more support from hockey fans had he admitted human error as opposed to giving his crew a "thumbs-up". I get that people make mistakes but covering for it later is what insults our intelligence.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

[QUOTE]Yeah, the too many men was a blown call, but overall in this series compared to the other series', I don't think the refs have been that bad. The linesmen though, wow, they've sucked. I used to know what an icing call was - now I have no clue. And like the other thread notes, they've been horrendous in the faceoffs.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

Agreed.  Didn't go into that Red cuz there's another thread on the subject.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]The guys at CBC were confused enough that they called Terry Gregson for an explanation and he told them the guys on the ice did the right thing. Total BS that he was unwilling to just say "yeah, they blew it on that one".

That was confusing because the explanation that Gregson gave was not what happened .  They all agreed afterwards that it should have been called too men on the ice.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: officiating : I'm glad you brought that up Red because I thought I was going crazy.

It's been completely wonky with both teams. I have absolutely no idea what icing is now - and I've been in hockey for more than 30 years. Did they change the rules? plays that I was certain would be waved off are whistled down, and clear cut icings get waved off.

It has completely confused me.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yaso#7. Show Yaso#7's posts

My problem with the officiating is certain team abuse of interference that is not being called.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

NHL officiating is terrible.  But this is nothing new, it has always been terrible.  I don't have anything to offer as root cause or a solution.

I have heard Brickley say this before, that the officials need to have a better feel for the game.  I tend to agree with that and it is a material weakness of NHL referees.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

Did anyone just see the call on Foligno????? That is absolutely terrible. If I was a Sens fan I would be livid!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Is this Habs.com? 

WeloveDaniel.com?

Complaining about the refs is for others.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Moving picks (interference) is frustrating period; the offsides no calls is embarassing as mentioned above; outside of the concussion penalties (charging etc.) I think the best thing to do is to let the players sort out the injustices.... what is slashing now, a tap on the leg? or not?  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

I try not to get upset... but I've been caught whining more than a few times this season.

On any given night, I honestly don't know what will be allowed and what will be whistled by the zebras???

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PINEwarmer. Show PINEwarmer's posts

Faceoffs and icing calls have been a mystery throughout the playoffs. No appreciable consistency from game to game each night and Philadelphia's gratitude to Tony Sericolo should include a game day check for inspiring their comeback in Game 1 of that series.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: officiating:[QUOTE]  Seems to me the officials pool is watered down too much.  I get what you are saying Steve, but competent veteran officials should be able to perform despite that. Posted by scooter244[/QUOTE]

Correct the veteran officials should do what got them there.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

All you ever wanted to know about the men in stripes, rule book, regulations, etc.:

http://www.nhlofficials.com/member_listing.asp