OHL Declares War on Skating Clowns!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

OHL Declares War on Skating Clowns!

From PuckDaddy:

"The plan, according to Branch on a conference call today, allows players to have up to 10 fighting majors without league repercussions. But any player that has 11-15 fights will be suspended two games for each fight; and any player that goes from 16-20 fights will be suspended two games for each fight and his team will be fined $1,000 each time."

This is the first step towards driving the stake in the hearts of the Skating Clowns and their stupid staged fights.  When it works, and it will work, the NHL will follow suit and adopt it.

Death to the art of the Skating Clowns!

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/nhl-adopt-ohl-rules-target-fighting-leaders-164257141--nhl.html

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

Re: OHL Declares War on Skating Clowns!

Sounds like a good idea. I like a heated and emotional fight now and then but watching guys who don't even have the talent to score 10 goals in the AHL skate around on NHL ice and rack up 20+ majors (Gillies, Thornton, Shelly, Scott, etc.) is sad. It seems all they do is stage fights with other goons, so nothing is really lost on the ice.

I think a 10-12 fight limit would be good for the NHL, eliminating the need for goons, but still allowing players like Lucic, Hartnell, Clowe, Gudbranson,  and others to drop the gloves on occasion. 

To be honest, I'm surprised fighting is even allowed at all in junior hockey...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

The problem I could see is that guys might start cheap shotting guys like Lucic to draw him into more fights.

What would end fights?

Full facial protection.  Yes, cages of all sorts are horrible, but if they were made mandatory in the NHL the technology would catchup.  Then you could see some guys dive head first to block shots and other exciting plays.  The sticks would probably come up and there would be more stick to head contact.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Then you'll have a goon who knows the other teams skating clown is over the limit and try to take advantage of it. Keep fighting in the game, get rid of the clowns. Simple as that.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

The problem I could see is that guys might start cheap shotting guys like Lucic to draw him into more fights.

What would end fights?

Full facial protection.  Yes, cages of all sorts are horrible, but if they were made mandatory in the NHL the technology would catchup.  Then you could see some guys dive head first to block shots and other exciting plays.  The sticks would probably come up and there would be more stick to head contact.

Though the only ones insane enough to goad Lucic into a fight would be jobless. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

Then you'll have a goon who knows the other teams skating clown is over the limit and try to take advantage of it. Keep fighting in the game, get rid of the clowns. Simple as that.

How?  Goons don't do anything but fight each other.  When was the last time you saw a Skating Clown do something dirty?  The rats like Marchand, Carcillo and Burrows are the dirty players.  Skating Clowns have to stay pretty clean as to avoid being a larger detriment to the team.  They get called for interference, mostly because they aren't good enough skaters to keep up.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

In response to kelvana33's comment:

I'm talking about what will happen at the minor/junior level. I don't think the NHL will ever adopt a policy like this, I think the goon is already being phased out at the NHL level..But down on the farm? Thats a different aninal down there. Not only are the goons dirty, some are flat out nuts.

How?  Goons don't do anything but fight each other.  When was the last time you saw a Skating Clown do something dirty?  The rats like Marchand, Carcillo and Burrows are the dirty players.  Skating Clowns have to stay pretty clean as to avoid being a larger detriment to the team.  They get called for interference, mostly because they aren't good enough skaters to keep up.

Sections
Shortcuts