OHL Update

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from john6345. Show john6345's posts

Re: OHL Update

I saw Strome play agains't Plymouth on Thursday, scored a couple of nice goals.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from captainbergeron. Show captainbergeron's posts

I find it hard to believe that seobrien and I are the only ones following these posts. Is there nobody else?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from captainbergeron. Show captainbergeron's posts

Great job guys and keep up the good work. I stumbled onto this pdf on the bruins webpage and figured it was worth posting. It's not much, but worth a quick glance.

http://bruins.nhl.com/v2/ext/media/2010/catch_all/1031_ProspectReport.pdf

They also promise further updates throughout the year. I'll try and post them here when I see them, but it's right on the bruins website  for anyone to see(http://bruins.nhl.com/). Again thanks guys, you're doing a great job scouting games that most of us can't see.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

Chowdah and Win,
    Yes, please continue when you can, of course! Living down the hometown team way, I/(we locals) never get a chance to watch the OHL. We can see a some AHL and Hockey East, but never get a chance to see or even hear about most of the draft eligible kids. As you actually watch them and form your own opinions, we rely heavily on what you see and value your observations. Great work...bar none one of the premier threads anywhere...well, next to the Kessel is Elite thread ;)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

For what it's worth, the Canadian could sue the American in Federal court without having to move to the United States.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

In Response to Re: OHL Update:
    http://www.thebruinsblog.net/2010/11/03/cunningham-keeps-on-rolling/#more-11086 "Still atop the Western Hockey League’s scoring race, Cunningham has tallied 36 points (7 goals) in 18 games for the Vancouver Giants. For his efforts, he was named the WHL Player of the Month for Sept./Oct." Only 5'11" but Briere and Gionta are small as well. I don't think this kid will be playing in Vancouver next season I fully expect Craig to join Providence at the end of the WHL playoffs. Already checking Vancouver's schedule to see if their playing when I'm up in the Seattle area come this December Gotta see this kid play.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

Hard to not root for that kid, has anyone seen him play?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

I hated that pick when they made it and i still do.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

I find it hard to believe that seobrien and I are the only ones following these posts. Is there nobody else?
    Posted by captainbergeron

I read every post on this thread. But I can't give much input as I don't see any junior hockey games. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

And speak of the devil . Look who shows up with his stats. Badhab I think this is one of those that I was referring to ( 0 games ) . Glad you posted on here and thanks for your valuable insight to OHL activities. Still waiting for you on this thread on games you've watched so far . Here let me get you started . http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ohl+games+2010+-11&aq=f
    Posted by Chowdahkid-

oh all right already.  so I watched zero ohl games.  and base my ohl opinions on hear say.  knowing you are in canada I figure I have my bases covered because you are going to have a hard time suing me.  You'll have to take it to international court or something.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

A little something I just thought I'd point out.

Tyler Toffoli
    2010-11Ottawa 67's     OHL1510919 
    Jared Knight..
    2010-11London KnightsOHL134711 

He goes to the net though!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

*Toffoli update
    He just keeps on scoring.
    14th Tyler ToffoliOttawa 67's   161010  20
    86th   Jared Knight  London Knights  13  4   7   11   

Their OHL performance almost matches their draft rankings.  Isn't that strange?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from captainbergeron. Show captainbergeron's posts

Good Morning Chowdahkid,

I only found these posts a few weeks back, but have thoroughly enjoyed your impartial view of these up and coming players. Not being in the best financial situation myself I will understand if you can't find the time to continue. As I currently don't have cable television of any kind I appreciate anyone who is willing to share what they know or have seen.

I will continue to follow even if it is less frequent or less meticulous. I will post anything I find relevant, be it OHL prospects or any other prospects. Good luck with the new job and I hope everything works out for you in the end.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=542565

Peterborough's Puempel could be class of OHL

"he's had a strong start to the OHL season, with 9 goals and 18 points in 14 games."

Keep losing Lufas!!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Only watched minimal OHL action this weekend because of other interests and commitments. I just channel surfed a few games but don't really have anything to report. Apologies ! But I did come across this nice piece on Ryan Strome. His play has improved immensely from last year . He has gone from a first year bit player to the leading scorer on the Niagara Ice Dogs ( the team I root for ). His confidence with the puck is showing as he is hanging on to the puck and it is resulting in more scoring chances . He also has an accurate shot. I would put him up near the top of the draft list for playmaking centers from the OHL along with Khokhlachev and Namestnikov. Boone Jenner is in the mix too but he is more physical and plays bigger then them.   Strome is tied for 2nd in league scoring . Note : I did see Namestnikov start out on RW the other night with Jared Knight on LW. http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/stats/show This is the story and two video clips on Strome. http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/juniorhockey/blog/buzzing_the_net/post/Video-Strome-s-spectacular-trick-turning-riva?urn=juniorhockey-280961 Just a few words. I am here to give info on what I see from what I watch. I don't really like saying one guy is better then the next although I might want to do a list of my favourites as the season goes along. But I am hesitant because of posters who will come back and say you liked that guy and look now he's not as good as the other guy . I am not a fortune teller and I tell it like have seen it at the time . Last year I liked Hall's play better then Seguin and still do ( but I also really liked Seguin ). I noticed on some of the other threads there is one of my favourite posters ( who will go unnamed . He wanted Kabanov) bashing others who have said in the past that they liked Hall better then Seguin. He is doing this 10 games into their careers . Shame on you Ba..........whoops I forgot he shall go unnamed. LOL
    Posted by Chowdahkid-

Hey!

At least - not like some idiots - I'm the type of idiot that admits when he's wrong.  Kabanov might be talented, but looking at him closer I don't know if he will ever be able to gain enough muscle mass for the NHL.  They lied about his weight, he weighs like 160 if he weighs anything.  Plus another total head case.  I'll count him out now, I think he's beyond recovery.

I still like Seguin better than Hall.  I *think* I only ragged on people who said that Hall was superior to Seguin.  10 games in or 2 games in I think it's pretty clear that there is not much difference between them and you can still argue that Seguin is better.

Recall all the people who said Seguin was "not NHL ready" and that Hall "had the body of a man and is NHL ready."  I think those people are clearly wrong at this point.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

http://www.thebruinsblog.net/2010/11/03/cunningham-keeps-on-rolling/#more-11086

"Still atop the Western Hockey League’s scoring race, Cunningham has tallied 36 points (7 goals) in 18 games for the Vancouver Giants. For his efforts, he was named the WHL Player of the Month for Sept./Oct."

Only 5'11" but Briere and Gionta are small as well. I don't think this kid will be playing in Vancouver next season I fully expect Craig to join Providence at the end of the WHL playoffs.

Already checking Vancouver's schedule to see if their playing when I'm up in the Seattle area come this December Gotta see this kid play.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from winexpos. Show winexpos's posts

The one player from Kitchener that I have been very impressed with is #24 Ryan Murphy.

Very good puck moving defense who is 3rd in scoring this season in the OHL with 10g 18A for 28 pts in just 16 games.

Had the chance to see quite a bit of his play last season when the Spits played the Rangers in the playoffs. Murphy was one of the best players on the ice for them.  He is projected to go in the top ten in the 2011 NHL draft.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

Toffoli 17 11 11 22

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reilly24. Show Reilly24's posts

Thanks for the info just getting ready to go. I will give a little report tonight

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Thanks for the report Reilly . I watched this game also and it was my favourite OHL game of the year so far . Comments about Akeson and Doornbosch . They are coming up on their 21st birthdays next year . They are overage players playing against 16-19 year olds . They have been through 2 drafts undrafted . Doornbosch attended Nashville's camp in September on a tryout basis and was released . Normally players at that age have been signed by NHL teams and are already playing in the minor pros. Looking at it on the positive side they may be late bloomers who are playing well. On the negative side they are playing against younger players, bypassed in the draft twice and NHL teams already know what they're getting with these two players. 1st period Vladislav Namestnikov  playing on the first PP unit . Jared Knight and Scott Harrington on the first unit. Here is the fight between Tyler Randell  and Tinordi . Announcer suggests it is the best fight this year at the Kitchener Aud . http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/98544 Ryan Murphy  makes a rush and gets a scoring chance with a big slapshot. Save. Knight drops 6'4" Ben Thomson  with a solid shoulder. Gabriel Landeskog  scores on a  Murphy shot off a rebound with 2 seconds left in the 1st. 1-0 Rangers. 2nd period Randell  makes a strong move to the net where he sets up a teammate who hits the post.  Knight scores while driving to the net crashing into the post and goalie. He was pushed from behind by Thomson . 1-1.  K night assists on a PP goal with a tape to tape pass. 2-1 London.  Harrington makes a diving save short handed to save a goal. But  Landeskog scores again off a  Murphy rebound driving once again to the net . 2-2 . Knight attempts a big hit misses , hits his own player then goes down  . Tobias Rieder a smallish quick German born player gets a scoring chance. Landeskog scores but goal disallowed because of referee blowing whistle with Tinordi hurt. London goes up 4-2 with two goals . 3rd period  Murphy makes a nice pass on PP . 4-3. Rangers score again 4-4. Landeskog  sets up teammate with a great rush and pass with a little over a minute left in the game . Rangers win 5-4. Fun game to watch . Observations : Knight had his best game in a couple of weeks flying around with his speed and doing a lot of hitting. 1+1=2 Namestnikov had a poor game as he was a nonfactor. Harrington  played his usual solid game Randell biggest moment for him was the Tinordi fight. Rieder minimal play around the puck Murphy set up goals with his shot and puck handling. Landeskog best player on the ice.
    Posted by Chowdahkid-

Thank you !  Enough said

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Thanks as always guys .  Very very imformative. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

In Response to Re: OHL Update : I read every post on this thread. But I can't give much input as I don't see any junior hockey games. 
    Posted by NumbaFouwer

Same here.... thanks to the contributors!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

OK I was at the London. Kitchener game today as I stated earlier. There wasn't anyone on the ice that absolutely blew me away. I was able to predict the three stars in proper order which kind of made my boy mad cause he hates it when I'm right and he was wrong. Third star was none other than Jared Knight. This guy came to play. He's a battler and never gives up on the puck. Always seamed to be in the mix. Scored a goal crashing to the net and made a beauty of a pass to set up on another goal. Second star was the player that I was most impressed by with hockey skill. Kitchener's Jason Akeson. I think he got three assists today, very speedy and skillful but not very big. He is a right winger listed as 5'11" tall and 183 lbs. I would keep an eye on this guy. First star was a Kitchener's Sweede Gabriel Landeskog. Got a couple of goals and seemed to be in the right place at the right time. He took a bunch of shifts off though which didn't sit well with me. Honorable mention goes to Kitchener's Jamie Doornbosch who is an offensive defenceman who can also play defence He is 6'2" so he is decent size and needs to fill out like most teenagers. Our boy Tyler Randell at 6'1" and 197 lbs fought Jared Tinordi at 6'7" 212 lbs. Randell was getting his lights turned out by this giant but he stood in there and eventually turned the fight around with some bombs of his own. Pretty close to a draw. He was used a lot on the penalty kill and did a good job there but dosn't look to have any offence to his game. Another good fight between Victor Terreri 6'3" and Cody Sol 6'5". On a side note Jared Knight collided with 6'4" Ben Thompson of Kitchener and the big man went down like a tonne of bricks, Knight didn't even flinch. He's plays a style of hockey that I do see a lot of injuries in his future but hopefully I'm wrong about that. All in all it was a great game with the home team scoring with just over a min left in the game for a one goal win.
    Posted by Reilly24

Thanks,  great report also.
    Chowdah and wine keep an eye out on this guy Reilly mentioned.
    Kitchener's Jamie Doornbosch .

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

I read every post.  I have the sum total of nothing to add for information. Thanks for doing this.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

^Same goes for me

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from winexpos. Show winexpos's posts

Puempel scored another last night, his 10 in 15 games in a 3-2 win. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

I had a chance to watch Lewiston and Val-d'Or this weekend. Broduer, Champion and Kabanov were the best players on the ice.

Broduer looks like Marchand with speed and better skill and no agitation.

Champion was just unhuman in nets. Very quick and he moves with such efficiency. Great goalie. Whoever drafted him has themselves a future star.

Kabanov, playing his first two games with Lewiston this weekend, looked a little rusty in the first game as he hadn't played a Q game yet this season.  He struggled with his timing a bit and clearly didn't have his game legs.  He played on the 4th line Friday night.  Saturday night he looked alot better and was back to making plays and setting up his linemates while playing on the 3rd line.  He was also QB for PP1 at the left point position and paired with Tangey 4on4.

The Maineiacs look like they have a good team this year.  KK will be featured.  Let's hope he can keep it together for a full season.  His team needs him.

Sections
Shortcuts