OHL Update

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from winexpos. Show winexpos's posts

Re: OHL Update

Great to hear that you will be able to keep up the updates.

I'm having OHL withdrawal right now as the Spits are on the road due to bookings at the WFCU.  They last played at home Oct.28th and only have 3 home games scheduled in Nov. with the next being against London and Jared Knight, Wed Nov 10th.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RascalHoudi. Show RascalHoudi's posts

Chowda, Winex et al...  rest assured, your posting here is appreciated by many.

I hope to get out and see Knight and/or Spooner live at some point this year and will gladly share my observations.  Meanwhile, it is great to continue to get updates here that continually go beyond just the headlines.

Thanks for your efforts!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

In Response to Re: OHL Update:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: OHL Update : I read every post on this thread. But I can't give much input as I don't see any junior hockey games. 
    Posted by NumbaFouwer[/QUOTE]

Same here.... thanks to the contributors!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]OK I was at the London. Kitchener game today as I stated earlier. There wasn't anyone on the ice that absolutely blew me away. I was able to predict the three stars in proper order which kind of made my boy mad cause he hates it when I'm right and he was wrong. Third star was none other than Jared Knight. This guy came to play. He's a battler and never gives up on the puck. Always seamed to be in the mix. Scored a goal crashing to the net and made a beauty of a pass to set up on another goal. Second star was the player that I was most impressed by with hockey skill. Kitchener's Jason Akeson. I think he got three assists today, very speedy and skillful but not very big. He is a right winger listed as 5'11" tall and 183 lbs. I would keep an eye on this guy. First star was a Kitchener's Sweede Gabriel Landeskog. Got a couple of goals and seemed to be in the right place at the right time. He took a bunch of shifts off though which didn't sit well with me. Honorable mention goes to Kitchener's Jamie Doornbosch who is an offensive defenceman who can also play defence He is 6'2" so he is decent size and needs to fill out like most teenagers. Our boy Tyler Randell at 6'1" and 197 lbs fought Jared Tinordi at 6'7" 212 lbs. Randell was getting his lights turned out by this giant but he stood in there and eventually turned the fight around with some bombs of his own. Pretty close to a draw. He was used a lot on the penalty kill and did a good job there but dosn't look to have any offence to his game. Another good fight between Victor Terreri 6'3" and Cody Sol 6'5". On a side note Jared Knight collided with 6'4" Ben Thompson of Kitchener and the big man went down like a tonne of bricks, Knight didn't even flinch. He's plays a style of hockey that I do see a lot of injuries in his future but hopefully I'm wrong about that. All in all it was a great game with the home team scoring with just over a min left in the game for a one goal win.
    Posted by Reilly24[/QUOTE]

Thanks,  great report also.
    Chowdah and wine keep an eye out on this guy Reilly mentioned.
    Kitchener's Jamie Doornbosch .

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reilly24. Show Reilly24's posts

OK I was at the London. Kitchener game today as I stated earlier. There wasn't anyone on the ice that absolutely blew me away. I was able to predict the three stars in proper order which kind of made my boy mad cause he hates it when I'm right and he was wrong. Third star was none other than Jared Knight. This guy came to play. He's a battler and never gives up on the puck. Always seamed to be in the mix. Scored a goal crashing to the net and made a beauty of a pass to set up on another goal. Second star was the player that I was most impressed by with hockey skill. Kitchener's Jason Akeson. I think he got three assists today, very speedy and skillful but not very big. He is a right winger listed as 5'11" tall and 183 lbs. I would keep an eye on this guy. First star was a Kitchener's Sweede Gabriel Landeskog. Got a couple of goals and seemed to be in the right place at the right time. He took a bunch of shifts off though which didn't sit well with me. Honorable mention goes to Kitchener's Jamie Doornbosch who is an offensive defenceman who can also play defence He is 6'2" so he is decent size and needs to fill out like most teenagers. Our boy Tyler Randell at 6'1" and 197 lbs fought Jared Tinordi at 6'7" 212 lbs. Randell was getting his lights turned out by this giant but he stood in there and eventually turned the fight around with some bombs of his own. Pretty close to a draw. He was used a lot on the penalty kill and did a good job there but dosn't look to have any offence to his game. Another good fight between Victor Terreri 6'3" and Cody Sol 6'5". On a side note Jared Knight collided with 6'4" Ben Thompson of Kitchener and the big man went down like a tonne of bricks, Knight didn't even flinch. He's plays a style of hockey that I do see a lot of injuries in his future but hopefully I'm wrong about that. All in all it was a great game with the home team scoring with just over a min left in the game for a one goal win.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

[QUOTE]I read every post.  I have the sum total of nothing to add for information. Thanks for doing this.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

^Same goes for me

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reilly24. Show Reilly24's posts

Going to Kitchener tomorrow to see Jared Knight and the London Knights play against Tyler Randell and the Kitchener Rangers, two of Boston's prospects. If anyone knows other players I should be looking at please let me know and I will try to give some insight from the game.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

That would be sweet if Spooner was traded to the London Knights.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: OHL Update:[QUOTE]Looks like Ryan Spooner will be playing with a new team. http://www.ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/2010/11/08/16040986.html Posted by Chowdahkid-[/QUOTE]

http://www.thebruinsblog.net/2010/11/09/prospect-update-center-spooner-will-be-on-the-move/#more-11267

Yah I just read that's interesting Dave Reid is the GM. Wonder if Puempel's numbers will suffer with Spooner gone ? Like Knight with Kadri gone..

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

[QUOTE]Looks like Ryan Spooner will be playing with a new team. http://www.ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/2010/11/08/16040986.html
    Posted by Chowdahkid-[/QUOTE]

Wow! I didn't expect this from him. Not good at all.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from winexpos. Show winexpos's posts

[QUOTE]Looks like Ryan Spooner will be playing with a new team. http://www.ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/2010/11/08/16040986.html

Looks like a couple of NHL 1st round draft picks on the Spits may be playing somewhere else soon as well.

Windsor Spitfires general manager Warren Rychel said he is now open to trading captain Ryan Ellis and forward Zack Kassian.

"I've had five calls in the last week and deep discussions with three of them," Rychel said.

"It changed last week with Fowler not coming back and we know (for certain Edmonton's Taylor) Hall's gone," Rychel said.

"So, what's going to be our next line of attack?"

Two years ago, London sent first-round pick Christian Tho-mas, defenceman Scott Valentine and goalie Michael Zador along with four second-round picks and two third-round picks at the deadline to Oshawa for forward John Tavares, defenceman Michael Del Zotto and goalie Daryl Borden, who were all finished their junior careers after the season.

"For us to move those two guys, it will cost more than Tavares and Del Zotto," Rychel said.

"We could get 11 pieces (players and draft picks) for them."

The OHL trade deadline is not until Jan. 10, but Rychel has a history of moving sooner rather than later.

"A trade like this takes a lot of planning, but I don't like to wait until the last minute," Rychel said.

Both Ellis and Kassian were first-round NHL picks in 2009.

Ellis went to the Nashville Predators and Kassian to the Buffalo Sabres.

Both have signed NHL contracts and will move on to pro hockey after this season.

"We're hoping it helps for the next three years," Rychel said of potential deals.

And it might be the perfect season for Windsor to try and trade assets.

Last season, most clubs held back from trades assuming Windsor and Barrie would battle for the league title.

The previous season, Windsor, London, Brampton and Belleville were considered the frontrunners.

This season, the likes of Saginaw, Kitchener, Guelph, Owen Sound, Mississauga, Ottawa, Niagara and Kingston could contend for an OHL title and one of two league spots at the Memorial Cup, but getting help from Windsor won't come cheap.

"People will have to pay," Rychel said.

"The last two years, I've paid the price and traded 10 second-round picks along with young guys like Austin Watson, Austen Brassard, Richard Panik, Garrett Wilson, Andrew Yogan and Brandon Maxwell."

Rychel believes both Ellis and Kassian can be game changers on whatever roster either lands.

"They are big guys," Rychel said. "NHL guys."

Neither players has asked for a trade, but in recent weeks both have talked about the possibility of being traded and understand it's part of junior hockey.

"They've accomplished a lot and the Windsor Spitfires have done a lot for their careers," Rychel said.

"If we do decide to move them, I don't think they have a problem."

Ellis is poised to become the highest-scoring defenceman in Spitfire history with his next point.

Aside from being an NHL first-round pick, he was also named the OHL's top defenceman two seasons ago and has played for Canada at the last two world championships.

"Ellis is the best defenceman to come through the CHL in the last 10 years," Rychel said.

"If you're going to win, he's huge."

At six-foot-three and 225 pounds, Kassian combines both size and skill that few power forwards in the league possess.

"Kassian has the best combination of skill and toughness in the CHL and you need that to win in the playoffs," Rychel said.

"At the Memorial Cup (in Brandon), neither one of the western teams wanted any part of him. They wouldn't look him in the eyes."

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from yaz16. Show yaz16's posts

I'm not thrilled spooner asked for a trade and i think most of us feel he should just shut his mouth and play for his team. Maybe this proves he has weak character and once the Bruins do badly he will want to be traded also.

Imo it comes down to loyalty vs wanting to win in sports. Spooner could feel a little resentment towards playing in the Petes system because they expect him to do alot of the scoring, prevent goals (when most of his other teammates are still raw), provide leadership etc and he can't do everything. His mediocre season last year via stats and team standings also prevented him from being chosen in the 1st round.

Ultimately i know he just wants to win, develop his game, and make the nhl one day. In the current team enviroment it is impeding his progress. Hopefully the Bruins management does not feel now he has character issues

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

That is laughable.  Spooner doesn't have character issues.  If anything, the coach is retarded for benching their best player because the GM doesn't know how to build a winning organization.  That's not Ryan's fault.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

The kid's been playing on a team for more than two years that this year appears to have taken a giant step backwards. He has every right to request a trade. These are not professional athletes. They're kids.

Hockeyjournal.com has learned that Peterborough GM Dave Reid asked Ryan Spooner to go home and await a trade. Spooner did not “quit” the team as was assumed when the story broke; he offered to stay with the Petes until a deal was worked out, but the GM decided it was best for him to go. According to one source, player and GM had an understanding and non-confrontational meeting Monday resulting in Spooner leaving for home in Ottawa.

http://kirkscall.hockeyjournal.com/2010/11/confirmed-bs-prospect-spooner-has-left-peterborough/

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RascalHoudi. Show RascalHoudi's posts

[QUOTE]Here is a site that some of you's might not know about .  Stories on many of the draft prospects available for the upcoming draft . Just click on the player of your choice in the right hand column. http://bruins2011draftwatch.blogspot.com/
    Thanks Chowda.  Nice site.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

Don Cherry of Coaches Corner is saying that defenseman Ryan Murphy of the OHL could go #1 in the draft this year. Check out this link at the 2:35 mark. www.youtube.com/watch?v=pthbQcVRpwg

So you probably have to throw Ryan Murphy in the mix with Gabriel Landeskog, Sean Couturier, Adam Larsson and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins. Right now, the way the Leafs are going, maybe the Bruins get one of those 5 talented players.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I don't think you'll see a 5'10" 176 pound defenseman taken first overall, Cherry or no.  Like Fowler, I think he'll drop on the basis of development time needed.

I'm still choked that I bought tickets to a December Peterborough game.  Too late to go back and switch them to Kingston.... 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

http://bruins.nhl.com/v2/ext/media/2010/prospect_report/1115_ProspectReportedit.pdf

Found this on BostonBruins.com pretty cool report for stats anyway.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from captainbergeron. Show captainbergeron's posts

[QUOTE]http://bruins.nhl.com/v2/ext/media/2010/prospect_report/1115_ProspectReportedit.pdf Found this on BostonBruins.com pretty cool report for stats anyway.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

Thanks for posting this. I knew it was being issued this week, but I couldn't get to a computer to check on it. The next report will be issued at the end of the month.

On a side note, how hard is it to measure someone's height. The stats info next to Cuningham says he's 6'2", but the article describes him as 5'10". Which is it? My only guess is he's 6'2" on skates, but you'd think they wouldn't record his height with skates. F*ck even I'm 6'4" with ice skates on. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from winexpos. Show winexpos's posts

Central Scouting Bureau just released today their top 25 draft eligible OHL players:

ONTARIO HOCKEY LEAGUE

SKATERS

1 Gabriel Landeskog Kitchener LW 6-foot-1/4 207
    2 Brandon Saad Saginaw LW 6-foot-1 1/4 208
    3 Dougie Hamilton Niagara D 6-foot-4 1/4 193
    4 Ryan Strome Niagara C 6-foot-1/4 183
    5 Vincent Trocheck Saginaw C 5-foot-10 184
    6 Tobias Rieder Kitchener C 5-foot-10 1/2 176
    7 Boone JennerOshawa C 6-foot-3/4 194
    8 Ryan Murphy Kitchener D 5-foot-10 1/2 194
    9 Nicklas JensenOshawa LW/RW 6-foot-2 1/4 188
    10 Matthew Puempel Peterborough LW 6-foot 198
    11 Vladislav Namestnikov London C 5-foot-11 1/2 170
    12 Alexander Khokhlachev Windsor C/LW 5-foot-10 188
    13 Stefan Noesen Plymouth RW 6-foot-1/4 195
    14 Rickard Rakell Plymouth RW 6-foot-1/4 191
    15 Scott Harrington London D 6-foot-3/4 207
    16 Daniel CatenacciSault Ste. Marie C 5-foot-9 1/2 176
    17 Lucas LessioOshawa LW 6-foot-3/4 196
    18 Shane Prince Ottawa C 5-foot-10 181
    19 Mark ScheifeleBarrie C 6-foot-1 1/2 177
    20 Nick CousinsSault Ste. Marie C 5-foot-10 1/2 166
    21 Garrett Meurs Plymouth C 5-foot-10 1/2 169
    22 Anthony Camara Saginaw LW 6-foot-1/4 194
    23 Michael Curtis Belleville LW 5-foot-11 3/4 182
    24 David Broll Erie LW 6-foot-1 1/2 216
    25 Austen Brassard Belleville RW 6-foot-2 191

GOALIES

1 Jordan Binnington Owen Sound 6-foot-1 3/4 160
    2 Matt Mahalak Plymouth 6-foot-1 3/4 183
    3 Matej Machovsky Guelph 6-foot-1 3/4 191
    4 Michael Morrison Kitchener 6-foot-1/4 177
    5 Tadeas Galansky Saginaw 6-foot-3 1/4 186
    6 John Chartrand Niagara 6-foot-1/2 185
    7 Tyson Teichmann Belleville 5-foot-11 3/4 140
    8 Frank Palazzese Kingston 5-foot-11 3/4 154 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=65880

North American Preliminary Rankings (OHL, QMJHL, WHL, USHL)

Hey Toronto are you listening ? I'd really like Hamilton, Murphy or Harrington on the Bruins blueline por favor.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/36434-The-Hot-List-Call-him-Dougie.html

"And right now, a lot of people are liking Hamilton. At 6-foot-4 and 193 pounds, he’s a big boy on the blueline, but he skates and moves the puck extremely well.

The offensive tilt in Hamilton’s game has produced 13 points in 20 games for the IceDogs, nearly eclipsing the 16 he had in his entire rookie season. He cites his first pass, vision and playmaking as strengths, but knows that, with his frame, more is expected elsewhere."

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from yaz16. Show yaz16's posts

Browsing around ohl games the other week on tv i was impressed by this one short player (Joey Hishon) on the owen sound team. He was literraly running in circles around his opponents, kind of like toying with them. I was scratching my head when Colorado picked him 17th but now i can see why . I can also see why the other 16 teams passed him up since he is a miniture sized player. Like another Daniel Briere , Patrick Kane (can't be underestimated and has a serious set of skills though)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

I watched Lewiston's second game this weekend.  They looked tired for the most part.

Bibeau was in nets for his first start in the Q.  He looked decent.  Big goalie, lets the puck hit him.

Brodeur was again the best player on the ice.  He looks like a cross between Kessel and Marchand.

Kabanov was on PP2 this weekend.  He looked good in the 3rd creating some scoring chances and made a nice feed to the point on the game tieing goal.

Brodeur won it in OT on a breakaway making it look easy.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from captainbergeron. Show captainbergeron's posts

I found a article on Joe Colborne posted on the NHL website:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=543739

It really shows how mature he is and how willing he is to learn Bruins hockey. Definitely a solid pick by the Bruins, can't wait until he's playing on the wing in the NHL.