OHL Update

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lereve77. Show lereve77's posts

Re: OHL Update

In Response to Re: OHL Update:
    [QUOTE]Here's a radio interview with CSB's E.J McQuire talking about their draft list.  Ryan Murphy, Matt Puempel  and others are talked about . A very interesting radio interview talking all about the draft. http://www.thepipelineshow.com/media_detail.php?show=2010-11-16%2000:00:00&sn=6
    Posted by Chowdahkid-[/QUOTE]
    Hey Chowdahkid, I read somewhere that Brandon Saad looks to be projected as a 3rd line grinder type player. He was also rated #6 overall for the up-coming draft on that same web site. When you saw him play what positives and negatives did you see and IYO do you see any offensive potential? I can't see a team using a top ten pick on a potential 3rd liner. Thanks

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lereve77. Show lereve77's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: OHL Update : If I could compare his game to any current Bruin it would have to be Jordan Caron. Good skater , bigger body, smart defensively and yes his offensive game does have an upside to it like Caron's so that down the road he might top out as a top 6 forward. But a worst case scenario having him as a shut down 3rd liner who will also contribute somewhat offensively. He's a player who doesn't have a lot of flash to his game but he has been a pretty consistent player when I've seen him play. Who knows how these kids will develop as some progress and some regress ? Hope that gave you a little bit of an idea what type of player he is .
    Thanks, Keep up the good work!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

Thanks so much, Chowdah! I've been really busy recently (congrats on the new job, btw), but just caught up on all your reports from November. Really great stuff and very, very much appreciated. Thanks!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from OlsonicCreations. Show OlsonicCreations's posts

Interesting read on the bruins prospects

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

As always, thanks for the updates Chowdah.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: OHL Update : Thanks dc . I am also enjoying info others are contributing to this thread . Info from the WHL , QMJHL , OHL and Bruins prospect news are very much appreciated by me too. Thanks also goes out to them.

Chowdah - I invite you to start a new, more general thread - "Bruins prospects tracker" so we can get your updates and everyone elses under a more general title.  I was thinking of it, but the honor should be yours - or at least a contributor.  Those of use south of the border don't get to see much jr.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

more helpful than ANY bdc article.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: OHL Update : The honour is yours Badhab . The only problem I have with that is when I watch a game with Bruins prospects and NHL draft prospects from the OHL which thread do I put it in ? Putting OHL draft eligible prospect info on a Bruins prospect thread doesn't seem right IMO. But I'm open to suggestions. P.S. my main reason for starting this thread was to update the OHL as a whole ( Knight , Spooner , 2011 draft eligible prospects and just happenings around this league ) . I will contribute if you want to start a thread but I would still like to continue this thread as it pertains to my second favourite league.

Sounds like a plan.  Altho I'll have to find something to say first.  This means taking a drive down to Providence and checking Zach's pulse.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lereve77. Show lereve77's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: OHL Update : Sounds like a plan.  Altho I'll have to find something to say first.  This means taking a drive down to Providence and checking Zach's pulse.
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]
    I saw Zach last Sunday night on AMC. He was trying to bite everyone, so I guess he is putting in some effort. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from captainbergeron. Show captainbergeron's posts

Here is the most recent Prospect Report released by the Bruins. The main articles are on Jamie Arnieland goalie prospect Zane Gothberg. I'll post it now, before I read it.

http://bruins.nhl.com/v2/ext/media/2010/prospect_report/1130_ProspectReport.pdf

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Back in canada for awhile, and got to see the Giants play the Blades the other day, and will see the Giants square off against the Hitmen, Chilliwack, Swift Current, Kamloops, and Spokane over the next eight days.
    I'll post my impressions here. (I know it's the WHL but may as well keep it together)

From the Blades game, I was really impressed by defencemen David Musil and Duncan Siemens. Musil is definitely living up to his preseason billing as a potential top five pick, and he could look nice down the line on the B's blueline. Musil is a big guy and he moved the puck with some wicked speed up the side, very scary, and he went down three or so times to block shots - very responsible. Siemens snagged an assist for the Blades, he lost control of the puck in his own end that led to the Giants goal (the puck was on edge and he couldn't corale it), but otherwise he was smooth and responsible, though not with Musil's speed.

I'll let you know how the Hitmen game goes tonight.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockguy0818. Show Hockguy0818's posts

Chowdah,

Here is my overview on some of the prospects I've seen and/or read about...
    Everyone's questions or comments would be appreciated! Thanks!

Landeskog: I like him, he's a good player and I think he CAN be a really, really solid player in the NHL.

If the draft were tomorrow, we'd end up with either him or Ryan Nugent-Hopkins.

This draft is weaker than last year. As I've said numerous times, outside of the top 6, there is a potential drop off. Ideally, I'd want either Couturier or Larsson. Larsson could very well solve our problems of getting a good puck moving defensemen (one that is ACTUALLY good and consistent on the defensive end, lol). Although he hasn't quite put up the points like he did last year, he will in time. If the B's end up with the #1 pick, we could be re-living the "Taylor Vs. Tyler" debate of 2010. If we do end up with the #1 pick, I'd be content with either, but I'd take Couturier. He's a center, but can play wing very well also. He's a franchise player.

In Couturier I see a blend of Patrice Bergeron and Jordan Staal. Both are good in their own zones, and are playmaker. Couturier fits that mode. This kid is a head of A LOT of prospects (especially non-defensive ones) in the defensive zone. He's go a nice shot, has good vision and is a playmaker. He has good size (6'3/6'4 at about 195-200 pounds, with room to grow.), and probably won't end up with Joe Thornton size, but I see him at around 6'3/6'4 and about 210 pounds. He will be NHL ready next season. I don't think he'll project to be quite as good as Tyler Seguin, but I think he'll be pretty darn close. Just picture Jordan Staal. Any team would like to have Jordan Staal (when he's healthy lol).

In Nugent-Hopkins, only one word is needed to describe him: PLAYMAKER. He might very well be the best playmaker in this draft. He hasn't been putting the puck in the net as much as he did last year, which is a bit concerning (atleast to me), but he should get back on the right track. I see a lot of Henrik Sedin in this kid. A kid, if/when he makes it to the NHL will score merely 10-15 goals a year, but will have a BOATLOAD of assists. His vision and passing skills are OFF THE CHARTS. I don't think he'll be NHL ready next season, but will likely only need a year or so to get ready. However, he NEEDS to put on some weight. He's only about 165 right now. If he can get up to 175-180 then I think he'll be ready.

In terms of Landeskog, I really love this kid. If we were to drop out of the top 2 and into the 3-4 range, I'd want this kid. As was the case with Tyler Seguin, this kid has really shot up the draft boards. He's plays in a good system with the Kitchener Rangers in the OHL and is arguably the league's best player (that is draft eligible). He's got a good shot and good speed, and can play both LW and RW. I don't think he'll be NHL ready, but will likely only need 1 year to get ready: whether that be in juniors or in Providence.

Larsson is a very good defensemen in all areas. I see SOME of Brandon Gormley in him in the fact that he does everything well, but not a lot that is OVER the top (elite wise). However, I think Larsson will turn out to be a better player than Gormley. Larsson has real good size (6'2-6'3 around 200 pounds) and is a good puck moving defensemen. He's got a real good shot, and his passing skills are above average. This kid will be a franchise defensemen wherever he goes. He would crack the B's lineup without any question and COULD VERY WELL start out as a TOP 4 defensemen.

Brandon Saad is another good prospect. He can play both wings and has a good shot. He's probably a good 2 years away from being NHL ready (after he's drafted), but should be a solid contributor. GREAT kid, good in the clubhouse and is a nice passer.

Ryan Murphy: VERY good offensive defensemen. Is good in the defensive zone as well. His size might be the only thing to hold him back initially. He's a year or two away.

After that, there is a drop off.

My best available (out of the top 6)
    1.) Sean Couturier
    2.) Adam Larsson
    3.) Gabriel Landeskog
    4.) Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
    5.) Ryan Murphy
    6.) Brandon Saad

IMO, you could make a case for Matt Puempel to crack the top 6. However, he needs A LOT of work defensively. I cannot stress that enough. He's VERY, VERY gifted offensively, but his play in the defensive zone leaves a lot to be desired. David Musil as well could be a potential top 6 pick. Victor Rask COULD break the top 6 as well. But, as of today, neither of these 3 players are in the top 6 best available players, imo.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Hockguy, of who you listed I've only seen Musil so far, and as I said before I was impressed, though I'll have a better idea about him at the end of this Giants' homestand. So far though, if the Leafs somehow climb out of the basement, I wouldn't mind seeing him in Black and Gold if Larsson and Murphy are gone. Personally I am hoping the B's come away with one of those three, since it has been a very long time since we've had a blue-chip D prospect in the pipe.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockguy0818. Show Hockguy0818's posts

[QUOTE]Hockguy , I can only make comments on your opinions of the OHL guys. I haven't seen the rest yet. I agree with a lot of what you said about them as far as their play is concerned. Landeskog I've liked since seeing him play with Skinner last year.
    Let me ask you this, if Landeskog keeps up the production and ends up with the Bruins at, let's say the 3rd or 4th overall pick, do you think he could crack the lineup in 2011-2012? Or do you think he'd need just one more year in Juniors or down in Providence?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from yaz16. Show yaz16's posts

Bruins need to draft a Stud D this year. Our forward Depth chart is full already and will get maxed out adding likes of Cunningham, Knight, Spooner

It would be a dream come true if Toronto gives us a gift again and or they finish top 5 worst team plus our 1st pick and we can secure Adam Larsson. Many compare his calm way of playing to the likes of Ray Bourque. Overall best D of the draft and stands tall at 6'3

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Chowdah, Here is my overview on some of the prospects I've seen and/or read about... Everyone's questions or comments would be appreciated! Thanks! Landeskog: I like him, he's a good player and I think he CAN be a really, really solid player in the NHL. If the draft were tomorrow, we'd end up with either him or Ryan Nugent-Hopkins. This draft is weaker than last year. As I've said numerous times, outside of the top 6, there is a potential drop off. Ideally, I'd want either Couturier or Larsson. Larsson could very well solve our problems of getting a good puck moving defensemen (one that is ACTUALLY good and consistent on the defensive end, lol). Although he hasn't quite put up the points like he did last year, he will in time. If the B's end up with the #1 pick, we could be re-living the "Taylor Vs. Tyler" debate of 2010. If we do end up with the #1 pick, I'd be content with either, but I'd take Couturier. He's a center, but can play wing very well also. He's a franchise player. In Couturier I see a blend of Patrice Bergeron and Jordan Staal. Both are good in their own zones, and are playmaker. Couturier fits that mode. This kid is a head of A LOT of prospects (especially non-defensive ones) in the defensive zone. He's go a nice shot, has good vision and is a playmaker. He has good size (6'3/6'4 at about 195-200 pounds, with room to grow.), and probably won't end up with Joe Thornton size, but I see him at around 6'3/6'4 and about 210 pounds. He will be NHL ready next season. I don't think he'll project to be quite as good as Tyler Seguin, but I think he'll be pretty darn close. Just picture Jordan Staal. Any team would like to have Jordan Staal (when he's healthy lol). In Nugent-Hopkins, only one word is needed to describe him: PLAYMAKER. He might very well be the best playmaker in this draft. He hasn't been putting the puck in the net as much as he did last year, which is a bit concerning (atleast to me), but he should get back on the right track. I see a lot of Henrik Sedin in this kid. A kid, if/when he makes it to the NHL will score merely 10-15 goals a year, but will have a BOATLOAD of assists. His vision and passing skills are OFF THE CHARTS. I don't think he'll be NHL ready next season, but will likely only need a year or so to get ready. However, he NEEDS to put on some weight. He's only about 165 right now. If he can get up to 175-180 then I think he'll be ready. In terms of Landeskog, I really love this kid. If we were to drop out of the top 2 and into the 3-4 range, I'd want this kid. As was the case with Tyler Seguin, this kid has really shot up the draft boards. He's plays in a good system with the Kitchener Rangers in the OHL and is arguably the league's best player (that is draft eligible). He's got a good shot and good speed, and can play both LW and RW. I don't think he'll be NHL ready, but will likely only need 1 year to get ready: whether that be in juniors or in Providence. Larsson is a very good defensemen in all areas. I see SOME of Brandon Gormley in him in the fact that he does everything well, but not a lot that is OVER the top (elite wise). However, I think Larsson will turn out to be a better player than Gormley. Larsson has real good size (6'2-6'3 around 200 pounds) and is a good puck moving defensemen. He's got a real good shot, and his passing skills are above average. This kid will be a franchise defensemen wherever he goes. He would crack the B's lineup without any question and COULD VERY WELL start out as a TOP 4 defensemen. Brandon Saad is another good prospect. He can play both wings and has a good shot. He's probably a good 2 years away from being NHL ready (after he's drafted), but should be a solid contributor. GREAT kid, good in the clubhouse and is a nice passer. Ryan Murphy: VERY good offensive defensemen. Is good in the defensive zone as well. His size might be the only thing to hold him back initially. He's a year or two away. After that, there is a drop off. My best available (out of the top 6) 1.) Sean Couturier 2.) Adam Larsson 3.) Gabriel Landeskog 4.) Ryan Nugent-Hopkins 5.) Ryan Murphy 6.) Brandon Saad IMO, you could make a case for Matt Puempel to crack the top 6. However, he needs A LOT of work defensively. I cannot stress that enough. He's VERY, VERY gifted offensively, but his play in the defensive zone leaves a lot to be desired. David Musil as well could be a potential top 6 pick. Victor Rask COULD break the top 6 as well. But, as of today, neither of these 3 players are in the top 6 best available players, imo.
    Posted by Hockguy0818[/QUOTE]
    I admittedly haven't been to enough SeaDogs games this year but looking at the stats I can't help but wonder why Jonathan Huberdeau isn't getting more press since he's got the same amount of points as Couturier in 2 less games along with 4 more goals than him.It must be that he's 6'1 but only 165 and Couturier is 6'4 and 191.expect to hear more about Huberdeau in the next few months as his value has got to be soaring right now.In 19 games he's got 19g and 23a along with being +34.Solid numbers for a veteran but he's actually 6 months younger than Couturier.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockguy0818. Show Hockguy0818's posts

I have seen him, I would love to have him if we are in the 3rd or 4th slot.
    It would not surprise me at all if Landeskog cracked the starting lineup somewhere with the B's or whomever next year. But, I think he'll most likely need one more year in juniors/providence then be ready the following year. I agree that he is the most NHL ready of all OHL prospects.
    Honestly, I think the only two players from this draft that will be in the NHL next year will be Larsson and Couturier. Others could potentially make it as well, but these 2 are ahead of the others as of today.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from captainbergeron. Show captainbergeron's posts

It's hard to judge who is ready to jump straight to the NHL. It seems it has more to do with the team he is drafted by more than the player itself. I mean who really expected the youngest and one of the smallest players (Jeff Skinner) to excel like he has in Carolina. I know I didn't.

On a side note great work guys. Thanks to this forum I'll be better educated on the draftees than any other year prior. I wish I could attend some of these games they sound more fun than the AHL teams I have in my area.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Ok, last night's game between the Hitmen and Giants was just bad - Atom level bad. Musil had a fantastic night snagging two of the Giants' three goals. But it's tough to judge his play from last night. He looked fantastic, but that is mainly because everyone else on the ice was playing like 8 year-olds on a house league team in Miami. These two teams were awful.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

12 -16-28 in 28 games for Jared Knight. He had a goal last night so what else is going on with him lately, Chowda ?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: OHL Update:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: OHL Update : OHL free weekend for me. Nothing to report.Posted by Chowdahkid-[/QUOTE]

Looks like the move to Kitchner has worked out well for Spooner 10 points in 9 games eh ?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]Back a month ago there was someone wondering ( I forget who ) when Rogers Sportsnet would be broadcasting their CHL games. I'm not sure about live streaming on Rogers but here is the schedule. A lot of top prospects will be playing in these games along with  Jared Knight too. Here is the schedule:  http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/article/chl-announces-2010-11-broadcast-schedule-on-rogers-sportsnet-and-rds/86861

How can you not remember ??? It was me !  $%^%$%$####@#@ you deserve a punch right in the face !  
    BTW I find the Juniors more and more are using the wrist shot as their weapon of preference.

p.s. great schedule !  Thanks

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: OHL Update:[QUOTE]Watched a little bit of  Ryan Spooner  today in a 6-5 Kingston shootout win. He had a goal and an assist . He also scored a shootout goal . Quick hands ! One thing I want to comment on is how good his wrist shot is. It surprises me the velocity he gets on it and he's using it more. It's a better wrist shot then I thought he had. Today's goal in regulation was a beauty ! He shot from around the faceoff dot, on the short side, very little space to fit it in and ......ping ,off the crossbar and in . He is not just a playmaker. He can score ! Posted by Chowdahkid-[/QUOTE]

Could've used that wrist shot tonight eh Ping!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

http://www.thebruinsblog.net/2010/12/09/quotable-isles-tavares-expects-knight-to-make-an-nhl-impact/#more-12144

"Quotable: Isles’ Tavares expects Knight to make an NHL impact"

Well if Tavares thinks so...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

Defensman are much more hit or miss in the draft than forwards (goalies being the most hit or miss). You can predict what a forward will develop into more easily than for a defenseman (or goalie). For this reason, I would rather use a very high pick (top 5) on a forward rather than a d-man, if all things are equal, regardless of organizational needs.

I also think the B's will need a forward capable of dominating a game or at least controlling it, which is anothe reason I would like them to take a forward with a lottery pick. Obviously guys like Crosby, Ovechkin, and that breed are desirable, but say what you will about a guy like Joe Thornton, he allows his team to control the play for a significant portion of his time on ice and the B's don't have anyone like that at the moment. I would love to hear, from those who watch the juniors, if there are any prospects who are able to control the play like Joe -- not necessarily play his style, but control the game like he does (and, like Krejci does, but to a lesser extent).

Sections
Shortcuts