OHL Update

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from winexpos. Show winexpos's posts

Re: OHL Update

Great avatar Chowdahkid-  :-)

Went and saw a shootout yesterday between Kingston with Ryan Spooner against the Spits.

Kingston came out strong scoring 3 quick goals in 9:17 on just 8 shots on net to chase Passingham from the net and bring in Jack Campbell. Windsor would score 2 goals to end the 1st 3-2 Kingston.

Spooner was the starting center on a line with #18 Jones, and #26 Stokes.  Spooner had no points in the 1st period but not for lack of effort.  Spooner displayed a great amount of speed and stick handling ability yesterday.  Had a couple great scoring chances by being able to fake out the Spit defenders and freeing himself up for shots.

The 2nd period saw 7 goals scored as the Spits would put another 4 behind their former goalie Grubauer while Kingston would answer with 3 of their own.  One of Kingston goals would be scored by Spooner to tie the game at 6 -6.

Spooner was sent in alone on Campbell, by Stokes, and no one was going to catch him as he went top corner to beat him.  Spooner had a chance earlier as he also went in alone while killing a penalty but this time he would shoot wide.

3rd period only saw one goal, by the Spits to win the game 7-6.  Kingston was forced to kill off 3 straight penalties to them including an extended 5-3 for almost 1:30.  Windsor would score 45 sec after Kingston fought this off.

Spooner played great on the penalty kill all game and as mentioned above had a chance for a short handed goal in the 2nd. In the final minutes with the goalie pulled for an extra attacker Spooner was flying all over the ice.  He was set up for a one timer just off the side and let a wrist shot go that others on here have talked about. It's has some good speed behind it.

Spooner was clearly one of the stars of the games although the home town people voting don't normally pick players from the opposing teams so the chance of him being top three was slim to none.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from yaz16. Show yaz16's posts

Hard to believe that Spooner wasn't even invited to the juniors camp. I know Canada has some serious junior level talent but some of the picks where questionable

Spooner will make the team next year. I hope the same for Knight (maybe take Ryder's spot as the big bodied guy who can score a little)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

Thanks again for the post and the hockeyjournal update

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from captainbergeron. Show captainbergeron's posts

Here's an update on the Prospect Report. This one highlights our top two defensemen Matt Bartkowski in Providence and Ryan Button out in the WHL.

http://bruins.nhl.com/v2/ext/media/2010/prospect_report/1215_ProspectReport.pdf

It also furthers the question of where is Colby Cohen? Under his stats it says he has yet to play a game for Providence. Did he get lost on his flight over from Lake Erie?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: OHL Update:
    I have seen him, I would love to have him if we are in the 3rd or 4th slot. It would not surprise me at all if Landeskog cracked the starting lineup somewhere with the B's or whomever next year. But, I think he'll most likely need one more year in juniors/providence then be ready the following year. I agree that he is the most NHL ready of all OHL prospects. Honestly, I think the only two players from this draft that will be in the NHL next year will be Larsson and Couturier. Others could potentially make it as well, but these 2 are ahead of the others as of today.Posted by Hockguy0818

http://www.mynhldraft.com/NHL-Mock-Draft/

http://centralscouting.nhl.com/

Gabriel Landeskog has certainly shot up the ranks quite a bit keep losing Leafs!!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

Perfect Bruins type player.  Has a little Neely in him.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Chowdah,  what's your take on Knight not making/invited to Junior camp ?
    Also Spooner why wasn't he in camp ?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TomOBrien. Show TomOBrien's posts

Any word on Cunningham out in the WHL?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Any word on Cunningham out in the WHL?
    Posted by TomOBrien

http://www.nesn.com/2010/12/max-sauve-moves-back-into-top-five-bruins-prospects-upon-return-from-injury.html

http://media.whl.ca/stats/statdisplay.php?type=top_scorers&season_id=

Also check TheBruinsBlog.net every once in awhile Matt Kalman usually has an update on prospects as well.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

I'm done with my rants about Toffoli.  It's just a shame mgmt didn't take him.  He's obviously a natural goal scorer.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TomOBrien. Show TomOBrien's posts

Thanks for the link!
    In Response to Re: OHL Update : http://www.nesn.com/2010/12/max-sauve-moves-back-into-top-five-bruins-prospects-upon-return-from-injury.html http://media.whl.ca/stats/statdisplay.php?type=top_scorers&season_id= Also check TheBruinsBlog.net every once in awhile Matt Kalman usually has an update on prospects as well.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I understand Spooner and some of the other Canadian guys being left off because of the depth of talent there, but the Americans don't seem quite so deep and I am surprised Knight did get a better look.  It certainly supports the notion that USA Hockey punishes kids who go play Canadian Junior, which seems kind of petty to me.  Do the Americans really have the kind of talent and depth that Knight isn't needed?  Watson is a Yank too, isn't he?

As always thanks to Chowdahkid and others for these updates -- a great resource for those of us that never get to see the junior leagues.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

Knight is not that special.  He had a good draft year.  A lot of players have good draft years.  Pure goal scorers do it even on bad teams.  Spooner did it on the Pete's this year and they're even worse than Knight's team.

I'm still waiting for him to light it up this year..

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In Response to Re: OHL Update : Fletch , playing junior in Canada might be part of the reason. I've heard that before about others who have not made the world juniors from the U.S. Who knows ? The U.S. are defending champs and are picked as the favourites to win it again this year. Saying that , I think they must have an abundance of talent to choose from if they can afford to leave the players you mentioned off the team. And you're right about Austin Watson.
    Posted by Chowdahkid-

Yeah, I've heard the 'favorites' thing too, but not really sure what to think about that.  Both teams obviously have a ton of talent.  I still think there is more depth in Canada and their roster is harder to make than the U.S. one (can anyone fathom a Tyler Seguin being left off of the US roster?).  It's similar to the Olympics, where the US fields a very good, competitive team, but 2/3rds of the guys wouldn't make the Canadian roster.

The fact that Knight didn't even make the expanded roster tryout selection makes me think that USA hockey prefers guys from the NDPT and NCAA routes.  I think Knight is still pretty raw, its just that you would think that Watson and Knight would get some consideration, just based on the results of the NHL draft if nothing else.  I looked at the 29-man tryout roster and it looked like the US only had about 5 guys from Canadian junior.

Anyhow, can't wait for the tournament!  Let's all hope the final game has all of the drama it did last year!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from winexpos. Show winexpos's posts

Kenny Ryan of the Spits felt the same way that a few have mentioned here, team USA frowns on players that play in the CHL.

Ryan didn't even get an invite to the camp even thou he was a 2nd round pick in the NHL

Read more: http://www.windsorstar.com/sports/Ryan+suspects+politics+behind+team+picks/3943558/story.html#ixzz18hHDYe16

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

The CHL vs. USA Development Programme will be interesting to watch for a long time. In the short term, I'm not sure there can be much doubt that it will harm the US team to avoid CHL players, as most junior players with an NHL future will want to play junior. But, if USA hockey and college progams can continue their recent success, it will be interesting to see who wins out in the end in the battle for American talent.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

My two cents on the question of a grudge against American players playing CHL (a program that includes nine U.S. based teams, but I digress).

A huge increase in the number of roster spots has been one of the biggest consequences of NHL expansion.  That's played some role in the changing demographics of the NHL, including an increase in the percentage of players from the US.  And yet Canada still produces a much larger number of NHL players in large part because there are so many high level development programs in Canada.  This puts the US Junior Program in the position of having to find ways to marshall its talent to maximize its competitiveness.

You can cite 100 examples of how developing a group of players together over a long period makes the team stronger than if you throw together an all-star team.  The purpose of the development program was always to identify the kids with potential to play for their country at an early stage and bring them together.  It raises the talent level of the players you play with, which pushes the development of the individual players.  If that's your philosophy, you don't change streams to suddenly put together an all-star team.  Maybe you bring in guys who are late-bloomers on occasion, but they'd have to be something special.

So - most of the development players are identified long before they decide to go to the CHL.  And guys who were in the program who then go to the CHL are leaving the program, so in a sense, you can see that as them opting out.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"Should Cunningham, the Giants’ all-time leader in games played, be a perfect fit in Portland, it could mean plenty of postseason success and a chance for the 5-foot-9, 175-pound left winger to finish off his junior career on a high note. Next season, he’ll turn pro and could use the momentum of a strong finish to contribute to the Boston organization next fall the same way Milan Lucic, another ex-Giants player, did in 2007."

A year or two in Providence should do it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from yaz16. Show yaz16's posts

Not happy to hear Spooner slacking off to back check. Either he is lazy or won't play harder until he gets a chance on the Bruins. 

His stats hasn't grown like it did earlier this year. He seems disinterested to play

Watching a few London Knights game these past weeks, Jared Knights play while solid is not dominating. Needs to be fed the puck from the likes of Kadri to really get it going

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from yaz16. Show yaz16's posts

Chowdahkid you first defend Knights average stats because his team was tops in standings at one point and now since his team is in last place admit he can't "dominate" ? He doesn't have to be the leading scorer but should be doing better than he is now

You think he is a role player but i don't think the Bruins drafted him near 1st round thinking that. He is in nhl shape already, can score but can't put it together to be more effective

Can't be happy about that right? 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Chowdah- keep up the great work!  Your point is right on, I can only monitor box scores, appreciate your deeper analysis from actually watching the games.

Good night production-wise for a couple of B's prospects:
    - Cunningham nets three goals in Portland's 4-3 loss to Seattle
    - Knight was 1-3-4 in London's 7-4 win over Sarnia

Knight seems to be heating up, 10 points in his last 4 games (3-7-10).  You seeing anything different in his game?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

34g29a63p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teIxqzMhYSg

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

I didn't say anything.  He says it for me.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

The fact that your trying to defend Knight says even more.  He has been terrible.  For a prospect to jump up nearly two rounds and play the way he's playing is indefensible.

And in case you haven't noticed, he's playing like a 3rd round draft pick.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from yaz16. Show yaz16's posts

Jeff Skinner was so good in skating he got picked 8th instead of top 5 right?. His skating is still average today but luckily for him his overall game isn't hampered. 

Somehow you knew this right? You preach that you are not an expert in knowing these prospects but to me you sound like you think you are.

Toffoli is having a heck of a season. Right now he is in a better position than Knight.

Stats , number of championship, numbers numbers numbers things that don't seem to mean alot to you, are important. He played a good game means jack if it doesn't ultimately help his team win.

Sections
Shortcuts