Oilers to Seattle?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

Oilers to Seattle?

Is this a real possibility? Or is Katz just trying to exact some pressure upon the city of Edmonton to clear up the arena deal? Maybe the Katz group is just hedging its bet. I've been thinking the Coyotes were destined for Seattle but perhaps not.

I'm sure red has some inside dirt on this...what do ya say, red?

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/hockey/other_nhl/view/20220925oilers_ownership_group_in_seattle_reldate2012-09-25t032330/srvc=home&position=recent

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

Re: Oilers to Seattle?

In response to WalkTheLine's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Is this a real possibility? Or is Katz just trying to exact some pressure upon the city of Edmonton to clear up the arena deal? Maybe the Katz group is just hedging its bet. I've been thinking the Coyotes were destined for Seattle but perhaps not.

I'm sure red has some inside dirt on this...what do ya say, red?

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/hockey/other_nhl/view/20220925oilers_ownership_group_in_seattle_reldate2012-09-25t032330/srvc=home&position=recent

[/QUOTE]  Not happening ! No way in hell the league will move a Canadian franchise that is middle of the league in team value to another non hockey market in the States. The States already have more than a dozen teams in financial ruins that can't put people in the stands. This could simply just be an attempt by the Oilers owner to put pressure on the city in regards to a new arena deal.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

jp - That's basically what I think but stranger things have happened. If the city is truly willing to blow up the arena deal because they "need" more $ from taxpayers and the taxpayers don't support the idea then I can see the Oil leaving. So it probably comes down to whether the city is willing to move forward on the new arena with or without further concessions.

Also, I don't agree that there are more than a dozen teams in the lower 48 that are in "financial ruins" or can't put people in the stands. There are a few for sure but go look at last years attendance stats for every team. I was surprised at how well some teams were doing that I assumed were drawing next to nothing.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

Maybe over a dozen teams was a little much. That being said Phoenix, Dallas, Tampa Bay, Florida, New Jersey, N.Y. Islanders, Carolina, Colorado, Columbus were teams that reportedly lost significant money last season and have a major attendance issues. So aside from a handful of teams, hockey is number 4 on the pro sports radars for most U.S. cities.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

I agree for the most part but check the attendance numbers. Tampa averages north of 18k per game. That's the one that blew me aay. Florida and Carolina average over 16k per game.

Yes, NHL is #4 of major sports and could be passed by soccer in a generation. You know what I don't understand? HOW ON EARTH DOES BASKETBALL HAVE MORE APPEAL THAN HOCKEY! The NBA is a freakin joke!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to WalkTheLine's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I agree for the most part but check the attendance numbers. Tampa averages north of 18k per game. That's the one that blew me aay. Florida and Carolina average over 16k per game.

Yes, NHL is #4 of major sports and could be passed by soccer in a generation. You know what I don't understand? HOW ON EARTH DOES BASKETBALL HAVE MORE APPEAL THAN HOCKEY! The NBA is a freakin joke!

[/QUOTE]

Walk, It's really all dollars. Like soccer, basketball is cheap for lots of kids to play. Low equipment costs and there's no need to pay for ice time. If hockey didn't cost so damn much to play it'd probably be more appealing to kids. I was shocked to hear how much some parents have to spend in the U.S. for their kids to play hockey. It's a real commitment in both time and money.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to jpBsSoxFan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Maybe over a dozen teams was a little much. That being said Phoenix, Dallas, Tampa Bay, Florida, New Jersey, N.Y. Islanders, Carolina, Colorado, Columbus were teams that reportedly lost significant money last season and have a major attendance issues. So aside from a handful of teams, hockey is number 4 on the pro sports radars for most U.S. cities.

[/QUOTE]

Colorado has lower attendance because the team is terrible, not because it's not popular.  Tampa is fine.  NYI is not moving.  New Jersey might need a new owner, but they won't get a new location.

As for the original thought, there isn't a chance that Edmonton moves to Seattle. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Katz just wanted free tix to the Packer/Seahawk game, it worked.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1punchknockout. Show 1punchknockout's posts

Complete PR move to get the city funding that he wants. Nothing more.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Arent they building a state of the art rink? I've seen Oil Change fifty more tims than I would like and they showed a whole slide show on the rink..I thought is already in place that it was being built, if not, then this is just them posturing to get the finding they desire.

No way this team moves to Seattle, if I have to see Ryan Nugent-Hopkins a florescent green uniform I'll throw up in my mouth...Seattle just stole a football game now they want to steal an NHL team...Go away Seattle, nobody cares about you.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

This shouldn't be taken seriously at all. The Oilers are a top 5 grossing franchise in the NHL, I agree that it's just a ploy to get negotiations going in Edmenton. Ownership would take a big cut in profits if they moved to Seattle.

I do hope Seattle gets a team - but it would likely be Columbus or Phoenix.... several years down the road.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

As long as there is a team in Pheonix, me logic suggests the Seattle Oilers is just not in the realm of reality.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

Phoenix to Seattle makes sense. Oilers? Not so much. I just find it interesting how some cities manage to get arenas or stadia built. In some cases there is a large municipal investment and others are mostly privately funded (e.g. the Gahden). And of course in some cases the deal never comes to fruition. I would be shocked if the Edmonton deal fell apart at this point.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

[/QUOTE]  Not happening ! No way in hell the league will move a Canadian franchise that is middle of the league in team value to another non hockey market in the States. [/QUOTE]

You are right that the Oilers are not moving to Seattle but wrong about the state of Washington being a non-hockey market.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]  Not happening ! No way in hell the league will move a Canadian franchise that is middle of the league in team value to another non hockey market in the States. [/QUOTE]

You are right that the Oilers are not moving to Seattle but wrong about the state of Washington being a non-hockey market.

[/QUOTE]   I don't know San, Seattle has no recent history with the NHL. If they couldn't keep the SuperSonics, what makes anybody think they can support an NHL franchise ?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]   I don't know San, Seattle has no recent history with the NHL. If they couldn't keep the SuperSonics, what makes anybody think they can support an NHL franchise ?

[/QUOTE]

Non comparable because the NHL and NBA are different leagues, and attract completely different fan bases. Also, because the NBA sucks.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

And there actually is a lot of junior hockey in Washington.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I don't know San, Seattle has no recent history with the NHL. If they couldn't keep the SuperSonics, what makes anybody think they can support an NHL franchise ?

Bisson beat me too it on both answers. If ever in Portland, Tacoma, Everett, Spokane or Seattle try to catch a WHL game it would change your mind, hockey crazy.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

If it is a ploy, me thinks the city of Edmonton is rolling their eyes.  Reasonable to think Katz may want to leverage his location, but I think the league would squash that thought like a bug.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I cannot see it happening and believe it's simply posturing. The Oilers are too finacially successful in their current market, Levin's in the queue ahead of in dealing with both Hansen and the NHL regarding Seattle, and as we know since the Whalers left Bettman has been extremely reticent to relocate teams. He has put pressure on those looking to move their franchises to find a local owner to sell to first (as was the case in Tampa, still is the case in Phoenix, and was the case in Atlanta but in that instance a local owner could not be found.) I find it hard to believe that no one out there would be willing to invest in an NHL team in Edmonton.

That said a move in these circumstances would not be unprecednted in Bettman's tenure. The Northstars were fincancially successful, but had a reviled owner and no possibility of an arena deal in either Minneapolis or St. Paul. Pretty much the same case in Edmonton (Though Norman Green was also facing a sexual harassment suit and his wife threatened to leave him if he never moved the team). So a move like this would be without precedent.

That said, both the economics of the league and the NHL's approach to franchise relocation have changed greatly since then. I just can't see it happening under the current circumstances. In the absolute worst case scenario, they move but get a team back four years later come hell or high water (and once the municpality caves in regards to infrastructure) like what happened in Minnesota, being awarded a team in 1997, just four years after Green screwed them over.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I meant "a move like this would NOT be without precedent."

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

And I was just thinking about this a bit more, the league requires a two-thirds majority approval to relocate a franchise, or 20 votes. Katz would not get a vote and the NHL, as they did with the Thrashers relocation, would likely abstain on behalf of the Coyotes. So you need 9 nays to block any move by Katz. Even in a crappy rink, the Oilers are a top five team in annual profitability (based on numbers released) so I can easily see 9 teams saying no way, making the threat a non-starter.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

katz admiitted his bluff and apologized to the fans for it.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=406373

Sections
Shortcuts