1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Re: Oiler's vs B's Final??

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

In response to 50belowzero's comment:

In response to 50belowzero's comment:

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

Wow, really?  So...other than another year of experience, and maybe a shotgun start in a shortened season where their best players were playing together in OKC, what makes you think the Oilers will go from the second worst team in the league to the Cup finals?

I think they make the playoffs this year, but they're no better than a 4th seed and even that's a stretch.  I don't see them beating Nashville, Detroit, or LA over 7 games, and I think it's touch and go that they could take St. Louis, Chicago or Minnesota.  Vancouver, maybe.  Phoenix or San Jose?  Sure.  They're very vulnerable to any team with a top notch goalie - and while most teams will lose to an unconscious goaltender, a team that depends heavily on young scoring stars is especially at risk.  Just ask the Nuge how he feels about John Gibson.

What were the 84' Oilers?  Nobody saw them beating the 06' Detroit or San Jose teams either & they have twice the speed now. Speed kills in the new NHL & I think this Oilers team finish in the top 3 in the West. Over an 82 game schedule I think they'd be hard pressed for a top 7 finish. Sorry you don't agree Book, but this Oilers team is going to be fun to watch. I stated the the Oilers in the finals more as a joke, but now that I see everyone giving them no respect... I hope they do face the Bruins & if the Bruins don't win it..I hope the Oilers do. 

The 84' Oilers had Grant Fuhr in net. Devan Dubnyk is no Grant Fuhr, yet. We'll see, but the Oilers of 1984 took a lot of chances knowing they had Fuhr back there.  

Actually in 84' Andy Moog was the winnng SC goalie. ;-)

Did he play the deciding game? I think Fuhr played the majority of the games, or did they co-tend ? 

Yes, because Grant got injured in game 3 of the SCF.

All righty then. 84' was a long time ago, lots of partying in those days. ;)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Thing is, nite, that wasn't a go-go team of scorers - especially by Oilers standards.  That was a team built around Pronger, team defense, and hustle.  That isn't this year's Oilers.

And with all due...these are not the '84 Oilers.  I admire RNH, Hall, and Eberle, but not one of them will end up in the same breath as Gretzky, Messier, Kurri...and if Schultz reminds anyone of Coffey, I'll eat a hobo.

I never said they were the 84' Oilers, but that team relied on youth & talent which this team has. NOBODY in the NHL has a Wayne, Kurri, or Messier. I think a shortened season helps this team, because it's gonna take awhile for the older & less talented teams to catch up. I think a lot of people are under estimating Dubnyk & Khabby isn't done yet either.

OK, Let's make this interesting. I'll buy you 2 $25.00 Boston Bruin T-shirts of your choice if the Oilers don't finish as the 3rd seed, or if they finish below the 3rd seed, but don't get to the 2nd round.

IF the Oiler's finish 3rd seed or higher you buy me two. IF the Oiler's make it to the Final you buy me 3. I think since I'm the one making the boldest predictions & you have more ways of winning I think I should get the extra T-shirt if I end up right. Deal? Or has your attitude changed now that the Oil added Fistric? lol

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

The 84' Oilers had Grant Fuhr in net. Devan Dubnyk is no Grant Fuhr, yet. We'll see, but the Oilers of 1984 took a lot of chances knowing they had Fuhr back there.  

[/QUOTE]

Actually in 84' Andy Moog was the winnng SC goalie. ;-)

[/QUOTE]

Did he play the deciding game? I think Fuhr played the majority of the games, or did they co-tend ? 

[/QUOTE]

Yes, because Grant got injured in game 3 of the SCF.

[/QUOTE]

All righty then. 84' was a long time ago, lots of partying in those days. ;)

[/QUOTE]

Stoner!!! lol

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

How about B's vs the Wild ?

I'd be worried sick, because the Bruins can't score on Backstrom!!!!

During the regular season doesn't mean it is going to translate to the post season.

Ummm do I have to type up all the goalie's that won a series against the B's in the past 30 yrs? Steve Penny in 84' is certainly one that comes to mind right off the top of my head.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

Young team. New coach. 1 week camp to get a system in place. Short season. Suspect D and goalie.

No way they get close to a whiff of the Finals this year. Lucky to make the playoffs.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

During the regular season doesn't mean it is going to translate to the post season.

• Ummm do I have to type up all the goalie's that won a series against the B's in the past 30 yrs? Steve Penny in 84' is certainly one that comes to mind right off the top of my head.

Thank you for ackowledging my point. Several times Roy was great in the regular season against the Bruins the got beat in the playoffs. Also Sir Patrick had horrible regular season stats then turned it on during the post-season.

Bruins recently had problems with Price but were able to solve him when it counted.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

In response to red75's comment:

Schulz is 15 points ahead of the second highest scoring D in the AHL, and he played two fewer games. He also has a plus 8. Until he was called back up, he was in a two-man race for the AHL scoring title with Eberle (next closest player, a forward, was ten points back) They completely lack defensive depth, or defensively responsible forwards, but anyone who says Schulz played poorly in the AHL doesn't know what they're talking about.

The info is coming from a 14 yr old Red. Cut him some slack. lol

This made me chuckle, coming from the guy who thinks the Oilers are the best team in the West. Don't worry, I'll cut you some slack.

And I could have sworn I hear somewhere that Shultz was having a brutal season, must have been someone else. My bad. I don't follow AHL hockey, or care at all about the Oilers.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

There's just no chance, in my opinion, that the Oilers are going to make a cup run. They are likely going to be up in the league leaders in offence, but adding Justin Shultz and pretending he's going to fix their porous defense is a huge stretch in my opinion. Yeah, he's an offensive weapon from the point, but was offense really this teams problem? Was the RNH-run power play really a problem? Last season it was amoung the best in the NHL, probably the best when RNH was healthy, and they finished dead last.

I think you're much more likely to see Ryan Nugent Hopkins being one of those frustrating players who puts up ~100 points, like Stamkos. (whatever the quivalent is during the shortened season) and barely earns a positive +/-.

See, not only is the defense of the oilers bad, but they don't even have the two-way center types that can help out down-low.  (I may be biased in this, I know that Sam Gagner has a relatively good +corsi rating for two seasons in a row, meaning when he's on the ice the oilers are netting more shots at their opponents net than their opponents are directing @ Dubnyk). But I really think a Rock on defense and good two-way play is essential for winning in the NHL playoffs. There's only so much all these wings can do to help on d.

The Thing that the oil will have that will put them in the playoffs I think is youth, they are young and unlikely to come into the season out of shape. They are going to score a lot of goals. Great. But as far as I'm concerned none of their offensive stars are difference makers on defense.

The gap is small in the NHL during the regular season, but the gap in the playoffs is basically non-existant. They are going to need a more physical presence and solid two-way play to put them over the top. When they get that... look-out. multiple cup run inc.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Ummm do I have to type up all the goalie's that won a series against the B's in the past 30 yrs? Steve Penny in 84' is certainly one that comes to mind right off the top of my head.

• Thank you for ackowledging my point. Several times Roy was great in the regular season against the Bruins the got beat in the playoffs. Also Sir Patrick had horrible regular season stats then turned it on during the post-season.

Bruins recently had problems with Price but were able to solve him when it counted.

Lol Roy was a bad example to use. In the modern era Patrick is the only goalie besides Price to have a losing record against the B's. In both the regular season & play-offs.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to Bisson1's comment:

Schulz is 15 points ahead of the second highest scoring D in the AHL, and he played two fewer games. He also has a plus 8. Until he was called back up, he was in a two-man race for the AHL scoring title with Eberle (next closest player, a forward, was ten points back) They completely lack defensive depth, or defensively responsible forwards, but anyone who says Schulz played poorly in the AHL doesn't know what they're talking about.

This made me chuckle, coming from the guy who thinks the Oilers are the best team in the West. Don't worry, I'll cut you some slack.

And I could have sworn I hear somewhere that Shultz was having a brutal season, must have been someone else. My bad. I don't follow AHL hockey, or care at all about the Oilers.

Then why you spouting off on something you have no interest in, nor clue in? To be argumentive as usual?? 

In response to Olsonic's comment:

The gap is small in the NHL during the regular season, but the gap in the playoffs is basically non-existant. They are going to need a more physical presence and solid two-way play to put them over the top. When they get that... look-out. multiple cup run inc.

I think the name of the game is to out gun your opponent & as bad as their d is. Their offensive output will be enough for them to win 6-4 games more often than not. 

In response to seobrien's comment:

Young team. New coach. 1 week camp to get a system in place. Short season. Suspect D and goalie.

No way they get close to a whiff of the Finals this year. Lucky to make the playoffs.

Where is this suspect goalie thing coming from? Did you watch Dubnyk at all last yr? 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I love your pick Nite! If you look at my prediction thread from 9/5 I had the Oilers going to the conference finals...People are quick to point out what they dont have..What they do have is players like Hall,RNH, Eberle, Yakupov...etc..Is it enough? Who knows, but late last season people were making fun of my Kings in the Finals prediction...

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

"I think the name of the game is to out gun your opponent & as bad as their d is. Their offensive output will be enough for them to win 6-4 games more often than not. "

Now that I look at it, they were only 20th in the league in goals per game @ 2.52, they let up 2.82 per game (23rd in NHL)

And a lot of their offense came from the Power-Play, where they converted on 20.6% of their PP's (3rd in the NHL)

The thing is, in the playoffs, a lot of times the whistles go away. That's a problem for Edmonton since their PP is so deadly. It's the same gripe that Tampa Bay had vs the Bruins during the cup run. The Defense gets more stifling, there is less room to operate in the corners. I just don't think all these young finese players are going to be a recipe for post-season success. They'll be good in the reg season though.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

In response to Bisson1's comment:

And I could have sworn I hear somewhere that Shultz was having a brutal season, must have been someone else. My bad. I don't follow AHL hockey, or care at all about the Oilers.

Then why you spouting off on something you have no interest in, nor clue in? To be argumentive as usual?? 

First off I just want to say that I'm 14 and a half. Damn, I get all riled up when people forget that half year.

Also, I'm argumentative? I rarely argue on here and dislike conflict in general.

Feel free to ignore my posts if they bother you so much.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

Wow, really?  So...other than another year of experience, and maybe a shotgun start in a shortened season where their best players were playing together in OKC, what makes you think the Oilers will go from the second worst team in the league to the Cup finals?

I think they make the playoffs this year, but they're no better than a 4th seed and even that's a stretch.  I don't see them beating Nashville, Detroit, or LA over 7 games, and I think it's touch and go that they could take St. Louis, Chicago or Minnesota.  Vancouver, maybe.  Phoenix or San Jose?  Sure.  They're very vulnerable to any team with a top notch goalie - and while most teams will lose to an unconscious goaltender, a team that depends heavily on young scoring stars is especially at risk.  Just ask the Nuge how he feels about John Gibson.

What were the 84' Oilers?  Nobody saw them beating the 06' Detroit or San Jose teams either & they have twice the speed now. Speed kills in the new NHL & I think this Oilers team finish in the top 3 in the West. Over an 82 game schedule I think they'd be hard pressed for a top 7 finish. Sorry you don't agree Book, but this Oilers team is going to be fun to watch. I stated the the Oilers in the finals more as a joke, but now that I see everyone giving them no respect... I hope they do face the Bruins & if the Bruins don't make the finals..I hope the Oilers do & win their 6th cup. Shooot....Unless they face the Av's....I have to cheer for Matthew, because he's my good buddy. 

There defence stunk last year...There goaltending was suspect to say the least....They have Schultz and he is a very good rookie but when did that team learn how to play defence. A Team like the Bruins would grind those little guys. This is not the 82-84 Oilers. Not even close...Living out here in the sticks ( nice sticks though) of Alberta, I'll be getting a good dose of Oilers on TV and will look forward to seeing all their young guns play. Any team that plays them will do well not to go to the penalty box too many times.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

I love your pick Nite! If you look at my prediction thread from 9/5 I had the Oilers going to the conference finals...People are quick to point out what they dont have..What they do have is players like Hall,RNH, Eberle, Yakupov...etc..Is it enough? Who knows, but late last season people were making fun of my Kings in the Finals prediction...

You picked the Kings ? Huh and I thought you picked the Caps ?

• You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:[/QUOTE] I'd be worried sick, because the Bruins can't score on Backstrom!!!![/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]Ummm do I have to type up all the goalie's that won a series against the B's in the past 30 yrs? Steve Penny in 84' is certainly one that comes to mind right off the top of my head. [/QUOTE]

Thank you for ackowledging my point. Several times Roy was great in the regular season against the Bruins the got beat in the playoffs. Also Sir Patrick had horrible regular season stats then turned it on during the post-season.

[/QUOTE] Lol Roy was a bad example to use. In the modern era Patrick is the only goalie besides Price to have a losing record against the B's. In both the regular season & play-offs.[/QUOTE]

I'm not contending your knowledge of past goalie performances, it is very good and more than likely better than mine. I'm just pointing out I would not be scared of Backstrom, for the Bruins, in the finals.

You may now return to your duties as the President of the Scotty Laughlin Fan Club LOL

• You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I thought he picked the Kings and the Caps, with the Caps winning.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

As I recall, kel picked King-Caps in the finals and took flack most of the year as neither team was what it was supposed to be.  Props where due...though a coaching change and the acquisition of Carter weren't exactly part of kel's plan.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Thing is, nite, that wasn't a go-go team of scorers - especially by Oilers standards.  That was a team built around Pronger, team defense, and hustle.  That isn't this year's Oilers.

And with all due...these are not the '84 Oilers.  I admire RNH, Hall, and Eberle, but not one of them will end up in the same breath as Gretzky, Messier, Kurri...and if Schultz reminds anyone of Coffey, I'll eat a hobo.

I never said they were the 84' Oilers, but that team relied on youth & talent which this team has. NOBODY in the NHL has a Wayne, Kurri, or Messier. I think a shortened season helps this team, because it's gonna take awhile for the older & less talented teams to catch up. I think a lot of people are under estimating Dubnyk & Khabby isn't done yet either.

OK, Let's make this interesting. I'll buy you 2 $25.00 Boston Bruin T-shirts of your choice if the Oilers don't finish as the 3rd seed, or if they finish below the 3rd seed, but don't get to the 2nd round.

IF the Oiler's finish 3rd seed or higher you buy me two. IF the Oiler's make it to the Final you buy me 3. I think since I'm the one making the boldest predictions & you have more ways of winning I think I should get the extra T-shirt if I end up right. Deal? Or has your attitude changed now that the Oil added Fistric? lol

I'm not opposed to backing up my statement, but I don't bet on the net.  How about this - assuming we have the sig. line back by then, if I lose, I will make my sig. line:

"I got owned by nitemare38/NeelyOrrBourque.  I am a worm"

and I will leave it like that all summer.  If you lose, you will make your sig. line:

"I got schooled by Bookboy.  I should have known better."

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

Sorry no Defence = No cup ! They won't beat LA or Canuckleheads

• You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:

In response to kelvana33's comment:

You picked the Kings ? Huh and I thought you picked the Caps ?

I picked the Kings to make the Finals, and above I stated it again that I had them making the finals, not winning it.

Lol Roy was a bad example to use. In the modern era Patrick is the only goalie besides Price to have a losing record against the B's. In both the regular season & play-offs.

I'm not contending your knowledge of past goalie performances, it is very good and more than likely better than mine. I'm just pointing out I would not be scared of Backstrom, for the Bruins, in the finals.

You may now return to your duties as the President of the Scotty Laughlin Fan Club LOL

LMAO! Freakin smart ash punk!!

Ya know I don't have XM anymore...My new car came with Sirus with a 2yr free subscription. I keep telling Sirus everytime they call with new promotions that I'm not re-newing if they don't get NHL Home Ice! Which peeves me off, because Sirus USA gets it! But here it's only available in XM Canada. And new cars rarely come with XM now. 

And as far as Backstrom vs the B's go Sandog... I know you're not, but it's a superstition as a goalie & a Bruins fan that I have. More often than not....2011 excluded... If you have a goalie who's shiting the bed, not performing up to expectations, needs to make a name for himself , or if he once was a Bruin, but the Bruins traded him, or you just simply want him to have a great game? Then make him play against the B's in the play-offs. 

I'm not opposed to backing up my statement, but I don't bet on the net.  How about this - assuming we have the sig. line back by then, if I lose, I will make my sig. line:

"I got owned by nitemare38/NeelyOrrBourque.  I am a worm"

and I will leave it like that all summer.  If you lose, you will make your sig. line:

"I got schooled by Bookboy.  I should have known better."

LMAO, Done deal Buddy,  I Love It....Dammit Book I had my 3 T-shirts already picked out and everything!!  ;-)

• Sections
    Shortcuts