OK Claude

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

OK Claude

CJ was never my favorite. I always had issues with the style he preached. Specifically a few sore points that would drive me crazy. These issues were valid in the past, and I'll always believe that...But to be fair -

Lack of aggression on the forecheck - don't see that much anymore

unemotional play - don't see that much anymore

playing without enough physicality and emotion - don't see that much anymore

Sitting back with a lead - well, it's better

I am usually brutally honest -

Claude Julien is doing a really good job - this team is playing hard on both ends of the ice.

Go B's

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Re: OK Claude

It's all true, almost to the point that it makes me nervous.  Can they really keep this pace up for another two months?  Hope so.

I remember last year this time a lot of concern about how lethargic they looked down the stretch run.  But you hoped it was just a veteran thing where they would find another gear for the playoffs.  They did.  This year it's more about just sustaining the form they are in.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

There is always a stretch or two during the season where the team is firing on all 8. It's happening late in the season this time. I have no idea how that translates, or doesn't translate, into success in the post season. I think they'll have no problem with their effort and intensity in the playoffs. Execution needs to be there too and that is more elusive.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Remeber how long it took before Seguin saw any 4 vs 4 ice time?  I'm pretty sure both Krug and Spooner got some already this year.  It's like he's read all the complaints about him posted on BDC and made adjustmets.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

I always enjoy reading posts where people have the confidence to say they see things differently than they've publicly stated in the past.

I was never a big fan of CJ either, but I think part of that just goes with the territory.  If you're a fan of a sports team, and that team isn't getting the expected results, the easiest thing to do is dislike the coach.  Heck, the entire industry works that way, so why shouldn't we.  If the team wins, it's because of the players, and if they don't, it's the damn stupid coach.  In this case, couple that with the fact that Clod doesn't look that bright physically....and it's just so easy.

It's fairly obvious when a player isn't cutting it.  When we feel a coach isn't ...it's much more trivial, because we know virtually nothing of their methods.  Just the headlines.  CJ is a defense first coach.  We really have no idea, of anything deeper, we just make all sorts of assumptions from there.  They've all been discussed here, and while it's impossible to figure out the full story, there's been ample contradictory evidence to blow most of the theories out the window as to his ineptness.

The coach is on the bottom rung of executive influence.  They're expected to cover off every managerial mistake imaginable after the team has been crafted.  They don't implement a team executional culture unless the mucks over them sign off on it.  Their whole existence is somewhat exaggerated.

There is lots they can do though.  Like any junior executive, the ceiling to hugely affect positive results is low, but the potential to fek things up is endless. 

My hopelessly subjective take, is that Juliens strength, is that he's mastered some very powerful "human skills".  He has the important pieces totally buying in, and he maximises the influence of those people to avoid being the constant "gate keeper".  He's blessed with tremendous balance, and he's got a system that anyone can play.  I think "he" is easy to manage, and most corporate suits don't like lightning rods.

In a back stabbing, emotional, surreal, predatory, stressfull existence, he appears grounded(as does PC), and that permeates the troops, moving focus and commitment more toward a given, than a wish.

I think he's doing well, but I also think there are a lot of coaches out there who could probably do just as well.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to DrCC's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Remeber how long it took before Seguin saw any 4 vs 4 ice time?  I'm pretty sure both Krug and Spooner got some already this year.  It's like he's read all the complaints about him posted on BDC and made adjustmets.  

[/QUOTE]

Stanley-bait!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to JWensink's comment:
    [QUOTE]

CJ was never my favorite. I always had issues with the style he preached. Specifically a few sore points that would drive me crazy. These issues were valid in the past, and I'll always believe that...But to be fair -

Lack of aggression on the forecheck - don't see that much anymore

unemotional play - don't see that much anymore

playing without enough physicality and emotion - don't see that much anymore

Sitting back with a lead - well, it's better

I am usually brutally honest -

Claude Julien is doing a really good job - this team is playing hard on both ends of the ice.

Go B's

[/QUOTE]

You're also consistent, so I usually feel like I know where you're coming from.  So I'm not going to try to convince you that a player like Eriksson is part of fixing the issues you've had in the past, not a step backwards.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to DrCC's comment:[QUOTE]Remeber how long it took before Seguin saw any 4 vs 4 ice time?  I'm pretty sure both Krug and Spooner got some already this year.  It's like he's read all the complaints about him posted on BDC and made adjustmets. [/QUOTE]

Well of course Claude has read Stan the Man's pleas for help. He knows he has assistants all around New England and the rest of the hockey crazed world.

I would just add that the 2008-2010 Julien is no longer present. Great post JW!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I don't see much change at all in CJ's coaching style.  I've always loved it.  The personnel, however, is much better than it's ever been.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

In response to stevegm's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I always enjoy reading posts where people have the confidence to say they see things differently than they've publicly stated in the past.

I was never a big fan of CJ either, but I think part of that just goes with the territory.  If you're a fan of a sports team, and that team isn't getting the expected results, the easiest thing to do is dislike the coach.  Heck, the entire industry works that way, so why shouldn't we.  If the team wins, it's because of the players, and if they don't, it's the damn stupid coach.  In this case, couple that with the fact that Clod doesn't look that bright physically....and it's just so easy.

It's fairly obvious when a player isn't cutting it.  When we feel a coach isn't ...it's much more trivial, because we know virtually nothing of their methods.  Just the headlines.  CJ is a defense first coach.  We really have no idea, of anything deeper, we just make all sorts of assumptions from there.  They've all been discussed here, and while it's impossible to figure out the full story, there's been ample contradictory evidence to blow most of the theories out the window as to his ineptness.

The coach is on the bottom rung of executive influence.  They're expected to cover off every managerial mistake imaginable after the team has been crafted.  They don't implement a team executional culture unless the mucks over them sign off on it.  Their whole existence is somewhat exaggerated.

There is lots they can do though.  Like any junior executive, the ceiling to hugely affect positive results is low, but the potential to fek things up is endless. 

My hopelessly subjective take, is that Juliens strength, is that he's mastered some very powerful "human skills".  He has the important pieces totally buying in, and he maximises the influence of those people to avoid being the constant "gate keeper".  He's blessed with tremendous balance, and he's got a system that anyone can play.  I think "he" is easy to manage, and most corporate suits don't like lightning rods.

In a back stabbing, emotional, surreal, predatory, stressfull existence, he appears grounded(as does PC), and that permeates the troops, moving focus and commitment more toward a given, than a wish.

I think he's doing well, but I also think there are a lot of coaches out there who could probably do just as well.

[/QUOTE]

you anti-clode folks are a funny bunch. you come close to actually giving clode a little credit, then take it away with... "i also think there are a lot of coaches out there who could probably do just as well". really?  i honestly feel people don't like clode  because he was a former habs coach.. and have a hard time letting that go. he's the most successful bruins coach in decades and very well may go down as the best bruins coach ever... yet you think a lot of coaches could do what he's doing- which is putting the bruins in contention for a cup year in and year out. hatin' just to hate, it's not based on any that has to do with reality.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

On the radio this morning they were talking about 2 Coach of the Year candidates. Roy, and Cooper in TBay. 

It got me thinking, is there anyone more impressive than CJ? He has had this team at or near the top all year, and all this after an absolute heart breaking loss last spring. That in of itself should get him recognition, but no one seems to talk about it. How do you motivate a team that was so close, and get them to do it all again. Play through the aches and pains of a close checking game, injuries, and a very hard hitting team style? 

Most will write it off as anyone could coach this group, but I really doubt that. Most nights this team plays so consistently. They do it at both ends of the ice. Leading on Goal For, and Goals Against in the East, with no superstars like Crosby or Stamkos or Kessel. hahahahaha. had to put that last one in. 

When you also take into account that they have had a pretty large change in personal, or at least a few major components in Horton, Seguin, and Ference it makes it all the more impressive. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

I

you anti-clode folks are a funny bunch. you come close to actually giving clode a little credit, then take it away with... "i also think there are a lot of coaches out there who could probably do just as well". really?  i honestly feel people don't like clode  because he was a former habs coach.. and have a hard time letting that go. he's the most successful bruins coach in decades and very well may go down as the best bruins coach ever... yet you think a lot of coaches could do what he's doing- which is putting the bruins in contention for a cup year in and year out. hatin' just to hate, it's not based on any that has to do with reality.

[/QUOTE]

OMG! We finally agree on something & I don't have to make up curse words for you. Well said adk.

If I may take this a step further & say that I think it's a sham that coaches like CJ & the Mike Babcocks don't get votes for coach of the year. They don't get votes because they're able to coach their teams & match expectations? That's not an easy thing to do. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to DrCC's comment:[QUOTE]Remeber how long it took before Seguin saw any 4 vs 4 ice time?  I'm pretty sure both Krug and Spooner got some already this year.  It's like he's read all the complaints about him posted on BDC and made adjustmets. [/QUOTE]

Well of course Claude has read Stan the Man's pleas for help. He knows he has assistants all around New England and the rest of the hockey crazed world.

I would just add that the 2008-2010 Julien is no longer present. Great post JW!

[/QUOTE]

Exactly !

It would be easy to interpret this is as  -jeez big winning streak, and now you're complimenting the coach ?

It's totally not like that at all. I just thought it was time to recognize the cultural shift that this team has taken. Can anyone really imagine someone offering up there face for a cane to punch in because they were instructed to play with discipline ? Can anyone really imagine trying to hold on to a lead at all cost ala  the philly series ?

I've got my fingers crossed that if this team goes down, they'll go down with tenacity and aggression. That's all I really care about, and that's something that IMO couldn't be said in the past.

Just one more thing to add ...Success changes everything. I think it teaches - I think it has.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

To me it all comes down to the third line. Been a problem the last couple of years, now it produces.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I don't think you get to where the Bruins are without considerable integration of the approach to personnel and coaching philosophy.  I don't know that there are many coaches out there who are that adept at adapting what they know to fit the personnel.  Incremental changes like ones Julien has made are possible (per SanDog's point, I think he has fundamentally changed on a couple of points re: risk vs. reward).  So - I would say that the Bruins have built a team around core elements of Julien's philosophy, or a shared philosophy, that involves rolling lines, distributed scoring, and commitment to a team approach.  4 25 goal scorers not 2 50 goal guys.  8 guys who can bust a hump killing penalties, not 4.  Players who are willing to score 55-65 point on a winning team rather than 70-80 on a middle of the pack club (I think there are a lot of clubs where Krejci could get close to point/game, Bergeron consistently in the 70s, Iginla, Marchand, Soderberg and Eriksson more than they get in Boston - but ).

I'm not sure, therefore, that it's true another coach would get the same results out of this talent, because Julien requires these guys to use as much energy as required on defensive responsibilities before looking to score.  He gets less scoring out of each player with the intent to get more wins out of the team as a whole.  Under a different system, I don't know that this roster does as well.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to JWensink's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Success changes everything. I think it teaches - I think it has.

[/QUOTE]

Nicely put.  I'd add that there's a long history of losing in the playoffs being a vital learning experience.  I think they learned a ton from the loss to Philly (game by game; don't let it snowball in your head).  I think they'll learn a lot from the loss to Chicago.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't think you get to where the Bruins are without considerable integration of the approach to personnel and coaching philosophy.  I don't know that there are many coaches out there who are that adept at adapting what they know to fit the personnel.  Incremental changes like ones Julien has made are possible (per SanDog's point, I think he has fundamentally changed on a couple of points re: risk vs. reward).  So - I would say that the Bruins have built a team around core elements of Julien's philosophy, or a shared philosophy, that involves rolling lines, distributed scoring, and commitment to a team approach.  4 25 goal scorers not 2 50 goal guys.  8 guys who can bust a hump killing penalties, not 4.  Players who are willing to score 55-65 point on a winning team rather than 70-80 on a middle of the pack club (I think there are a lot of clubs where Krejci could get close to point/game, Bergeron consistently in the 70s, Iginla, Marchand, Soderberg and Eriksson more than they get in Boston - but ).

I'm not sure, therefore, that it's true another coach would get the same results out of this talent, because Julien requires these guys to use as much energy as required on defensive responsibilities before looking to score.  He gets less scoring out of each player with the intent to get more wins out of the team as a whole.  Under a different system, I don't know that this roster does as well.

[/QUOTE]

100% agree. could not have said it better myself.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

What a beauty of a post book! 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

stop agreeing with me NOB... it's bad for my reputation. hehe

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to adkbeesfan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

stop agreeing with me NOB... it's bad for my reputation. hehe

[/QUOTE]

LOL! Nice....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to OatesCam's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't see much change at all in CJ's coaching style.  I've always loved it.  The personnel, however, is much better than it's ever been.

[/QUOTE]

This is a good point. 

A coach can only coach with what players he has. 

People ragged about his style when he first started. Did he have the talent he has now ? Not even close. A coach makes coaching decisions based on his personnel which will give those group of players the best chance to win. 

E.G. Does anyone see the Red Wings playing the same puck possession game without Datsyuk, Zetterberg and all of their injured players in the lineup ? The answer is no. Completely different style of hockey incorporated by him because of a team full of AHLers.

Good coaches fit game plans in to the type and quality of players they have. And that's what Julien has done through the years. 

I thought it was blatantly stupid for the criticism ( considering the talent level ) back then and haven't changed my mind regarding that.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

To me it all comes down to the third line. Been a problem the last couple of years, now it produces.

[/QUOTE]

Not having a PP% that's near the bottom of the league anymore helps too.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Don-Bruino. Show Don-Bruino's posts

Claude has always been and will always be Claude.

I agree with a previous post - the big difference is Carl Soderberg. And no Seguin.

I said it before and I'll say it again, if they had let Carlo play last year they would have won the Cup and Seguin would have sit out.

Seguin then begat Smith and Ericksson and the forward lines are strengthen to the max.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pucman. Show pucman's posts

Remember when Krecji got knocked out of the playoffs years ago? CJ,s options were Trent Whitfield or a young,& talented Marchand. CJ was all about Trent Whitfield back in those days. He wanted nothing to do with Marchand going with ol,reliable when he had to replace 1 of his scoring centers. Today I dont think that would happen.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

In response to pucman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Remember when Krecji got knocked out of the playoffs years ago? CJ,s options were Trent Whitfield or a young,& talented Marchand. CJ was all about Trent Whitfield back in those days. He wanted nothing to do with Marchand going with ol,reliable when he had to replace 1 of his scoring centers. Today I dont think that would happen.

[/QUOTE]

Marchand was a useless turnover machine back then.  Maybe that had something to do with CJ's decision.