OK Claude

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Re: OK Claude

Don't do it JW!  Fletch gets "handsy"!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Owe look who found his crayons LoL

It's easier for this clown to come on here and bash everyone. Helps his inferiority complex.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

Don't do it JW!  Fletch gets "handsy"!

Shut up Book -- I was just curious what Beeker had down under...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

If you don't think hiring Julien was a good idea, raise your hand.

This is awesome. Bergeron looks like he's going to cry.  Mark Stuart looks like he's thinking "how can I get traded to Winnipeg?"  Even though it would have been Atlanta at the time, Stuart's thinking Winnipeg.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Another point, previous CJ teams found losing streaks on a fairly regular basis, that has improved over time.  True, this is due to personal as well, but no matter what you will still lose games and the point is they lose them now, but not all in a row.

I see CJ as being not as rigid as he once was.  The Whitfield/Marchand and DogVan/Soderberg is a good example, I think the old CJ would have rode DogVan all the way through the finals no matter what.  Becoming more flexible and improving and evolving I think is the key from being a really good coach to a great one.

Example - Torts.  I think his shtick worked for a while, but I don't think it works anymore.  And he's not evolving, and I think that has a shelf life and it's past it's expiration date.

Another thing I just thought of, CJ's post game interviews.  Earlier on  CJ was often confused and sometimes combative and just seemed unsure of himself.  I said at the time this has a psychological affect on players, that they pick up on that lack of confidence.  Now he's much better in post game interviews, he seems much more confident and sure of himslef win or lose.  I don't think this is just learning how to be better in front of the camera, I think he actually *IS* more confident and assured in what he's doing.  And that also trickles down to the players.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

In response to JWensink's comment:

CJ was never my favorite. I always had issues with the style he preached. Specifically a few sore points that would drive me crazy. These issues were valid in the past, and I'll always believe that...But to be fair -

Lack of aggression on the forecheck - don't see that much anymore

unemotional play - don't see that much anymore

playing without enough physicality and emotion - don't see that much anymore

Sitting back with a lead - well, it's better

I am usually brutally honest -

Claude Julien is doing a really good job - this team is playing hard on both ends of the ice.

Go B's

Claude Julien is the best coach of the NHL 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

He's got more experience, so it's reasonable to assume he's somewhat better than he used to be.  PC, Cam, and the rest of the management group should be a little better too.

I'm a fan of hockey, not hockey coaches on this place.  And the reason is simple.  If a player makes a great play, it doesn't matter why.  If he misses an assignment, or makes a bad play, it doesn't really matter why.  We see the whole process.  When a coach does something...the "why" is everything, and we never ever have a clue about that(eg remember all the vitriol when CJ didn't play Thomas in those 10 playoffs).  I find it incredulous that anyone would want to take the position that he's either a genious, or a bum.

Sure as the sun will rise, Julien will some day become  a bum and be kicked to the curb.  That process sickens me, always has, because I refuse to accept the fact that virtually every genious coach forgets how to coach, then at some point remebers again with a new employer.  There certainly are examples of coaching changes being a neccesity, but lopping their heads off being the norm, is nothing more than executive life support.  Throwing mud at the wall.  

I just re-read every post on this thread, and can't find much of anything with meat that's either for, or against this guy.  In fact just about everything that isn't in the middle can easily be torn to shreds.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

This is the most hissing and spitting thread I've seen in a long time - three separate interpersonal back and forths.  All starting with JW admitting that his opinion of Claude has changed, which you'd think is generally a pretty optimistic place to start.  Weird.

The evolution of the team and of how it's coached is probably due to a collection of factors.  Personnel is important, obviously, but so is continuity, and it's hard to achieve continuity when players routinely "tune out" coaches in pro sports.  It's hard to achieve continuity in an era of free agency.  It means making hard decisions about where you're going to change in order to keep that continuity elsewhere - like letting Kessel go as an RFA/trade and trading Sequins and letting Ference walk.  Success also factors into continuity.  The players buy in because they know this style wins (and unlike Tortorella or Lemaire, there's room for players to be creative if they're responsible).  The veterans buy in and pass that on to new guys.  It's still true that losing to the Laffs could have cost Julien his job. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

This is the most hissing and spitting thread I've seen in a long time - three separate interpersonal back and forths.  All starting with JW admitting that his opinion of Claude has changed, which you'd think is generally a pretty optimistic place to start.  Weird.

The evolution of the team and of how it's coached is probably due to a collection of factors.  Personnel is important, obviously, but so is continuity, and it's hard to achieve continuity when players routinely "tune out" coaches in pro sports.  It's hard to achieve continuity in an era of free agency.  It means making hard decisions about where you're going to change in order to keep that continuity elsewhere - like letting Kessel go as an RFA/trade and trading Sequins and letting Ference walk.  Success also factors into continuity.  The players buy in because they know this style wins (and unlike Tortorella or Lemaire, there's room for players to be creative if they're responsible).  The veterans buy in and pass that on to new guys.  It's still true that losing to the Laffs could have cost Julien his job. 

And I think the buy in to the team culture is pretty damn quick, and that would be on CJ and the vets as well.

As an example, just after he signed with the B's and before Schulz signed with the Oilers, Krug tweeted something along the lines of "Hey Justin, come to Boston and win a Cup." That speaks to an attitude of, "Yeah, we're going to do what it takes to win" and it shows a quick buy in to that mentality.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"It's still true that losing to the Laffs could have cost Julien his job."

It would have had to have been Neely's recommendation to Jacobs though. I just couldn't see Chiarelli pulling the trigger. It wouldn't have been about money or the extension. I just think PC would want hang in longer.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Hey - criticize when needed - praise when deserved

Anything else isn't reality

You want a hug ?

[/QUOTE]

Yes......... hugs would be great. And you seem to be the soft sensitive type just to do it. 

XOXO

And now, how about the points I made regarding Julien and his coaching being appreciated more now because of the better talent that he has ? 

P.S. After the cup win you posted directly to me sayiing that you now understood Julien's coaching was effected by the past players he had.

Change your mind much ?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

Yes.  And its long overdue.

[/QUOTE]

....as is you letting go of your hurt feewings.

Oh and.........can the attitude.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

[/QUOTE]

ST out on the ice late in a game where they are controlling their opponents with a 2 goal lead is a world of difference from ST out in the last  minute where they are equally matched with a 1 goal lead or tied or behind by 1.

The comments were made by other posters  ...........down or up by 2 with 5 minutes left. That was their gold standard not mine. 

Another thing I just thought of, when they got a bench penalty CJ started to put Seguin in the box so that when time expired on the penalty they would look for him coming out of the box, he had been putting ST in to serve the bench penalties.  That's a change.

I'd say you incorrect on this also. In a recent game ( I'm not going to look for it ) I remember ST going to the box to serve a bench minor.

Here's another train of thought regarding who goes to the box. 

If the opposition gets a penalty to even it up at 4 on 4...........who would you rather have had on the bench available to play on that open ice...........Seguin or Thornton ?

Calling time outs.  At first he didn't use them at all.  Then only at the end of the game.  Then he evolved into calling them 'smarter' - when the team is in disarray in the second period for example.

I don't recall the dumb timeout era vs. the smart timeout era. Pass on that one. I take your word for it.......sort of.

You didn't speak to benching players.  He's doing that judiciously now and he would never bench his veteran players earlier in his career, ST has been benched recently for example, and as I mentioned earlier, he never benched Ryder even tho he deserved it long before that Preds game.

Out of the lineup because of depth ( giving him a night off ) or bad play ? There's a big difference . I have seen nothing suggesting ST has been out of the lineup due to bad play.  The article I read CJ suggested it was just to give him a night off.

Is this team better now then the first Bruins team he had?  Yes.  Could the CJ of today get 3-5 more wins out of the team he first had?  I say yes.  Would this current team lose 3-5 more with the old CJ?  I say yes.

You say yes.........I say hypothetical......... with no way to prove anything. Sort of a " if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle " scenario.

[/QUOTE]

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:

Yes.  And its long overdue.

....as is you letting go of your hurt feewings.

Hurt? I couldn't feel any happier today, and don't have anything against anyone (you should try that sometime, you'd love it).  Why so sour again?  Was there a skateboarder in the old folks home parking lot today?  

This is a good thread topic, despite the pissing matches.  At the risk of being Captain Vanilla, I do think there are components of both Julien evolving and the roster evolving at play here.  It's both things.  And I've been a pretty stout Julien supporter.

Hugs to all.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

Hey - criticize when needed - praise when deserved

Anything else isn't reality

You want a hug ?

Yes......... hugs would be great. And you seem to be the soft sensitive type just to do it. 

XOXO

And now, how about the points I made regarding Julien and his coaching being appreciated more now because of the better talent that he has ? 

P.S. After the cup win you posted directly to me sayiing that you now understood Julien's coaching was effected by the past players he had.

Change your mind much ?

PLEASE READ MY INTIAL POST

I listed issues that I had in the past - I firmly believe these were vaild observations

I can't understand how anybody with any kind of sense who truly watches what goes on out there, could possibly say those weren't occurring

It's not the results that I'm complimenting - it's apparent if you would just listen to what I'm saying

These are way more about behind the bench, than on the ice

Lack of aggression on the forecheck - don't see that much anymore

unemotional play - don't see that much anymore

playing without enough physicality and emotion - don't see that much anymore

Sitting back with a lead - well, it's better

All I'm trying to convey is

1 - these were vaild concerns in the past

2 - I really haven't seen much of them recently

3 - Apparently things have changed, and I thought it deserved recognition

Your unwavering support for CJ doesn't mean that these points I've raised never happened.

That's how you lose with the best team, and that was never about talent

• You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

But no one would have been shocked if he got the axe after the Philly deal, and if you think about it, he was only 1 goal short of disposing them 4 straight.  Same with Montreal the next year.  1 o/t goal against in game 7, and the whole world knew he was toast.  It's a razor thin line, and this poster thinks that's nuts.   I agree he's grown, but there are so many other factors as to the teams success that we can also put a finger on.

I agree about continuity.  Big time.  I believe stability is the foundation to success.  Some really smart people  confuse it with fostering complacency.  It's really hard to build much with a constant revolving door of coaches.  Even with the same exact players, it's not unreasonable to think this team could be on it's 3rd coach since the spring of 11 if it weren't for 3 measly goals after all those 100's of games. 

As for the "buy in' just referenced, Kessel supposedly did the same to Wheeler earlier, when CJ supposedly wasn't walking on water.

A couple other things I never got.  This idea that some of the Bruins would get substantially more points if they played somewhere else.   Under Claude, this team has been near the top of the league in scoring on more than one occassion.  It's proven his system does not stifle offense.  Why should a guy score more on a team that scores less than the Bruins unless they weren't good enough to be on the B's pp.   Most of these Bruins would be hard pressed to find better linemates, and the chemistry they now enjoy has to be considered. 

And the "system".  I've been around the game all my life.  Played at a fairly high level, and I don't think he's come up with anything new and magical.  More to the point it's certainly not unique.  He has a very fundamental game plan that a lot of teams employ.   He exudes balance, because that's what he's got.  He doesn't usually have the leagues most explosive line, but many would argue his top 2 are the best top 2 in the game, and many of those same pundits agree he has the games top 4th line.  Most of us here seem to think he's got a really, really good 3rd line now, yet many refer to this "system"..... either as the elixor of success, or the root cause of everything painful.

Seems overly simplistic to me.

If we think just a second about CJ's confidence, it should obviously be in the clouds vs a few years ago.  He has options coming out his ying yang regardless what he says or does with the Bruins, and he knows that will probably carry him as long as he wants to coach.  That was anything but true when he got hired by the Bruins, and nothing changed for the better when the 2011 playoffs started.  He was on thin ice.  

He hasn't changed "that" much.  Everyone else has.

priceless

Hurt? I couldn't feel any happier today, and don't have anything against anyone (you should try that sometime, you'd love it).  Why so sour again?  Was there a skateboarder in the old folks home parking lot today?  

This is a good thread topic, despite the pissing matches.  At the risk of being Captain Vanilla, I do think there are components of both Julien evolving and the roster evolving at play here.  It's both things.  And I've been a pretty stout Julien supporter.

Hugs to all.

I've been a pretty stout Julien supporter too, but it didn't stop you from ignoring all that, and being "sour" enough to pour a little gas on the pissing matches.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to stevegm's comment:

Hugs to all.

[/QUOTE]

I've been a pretty stout Julien supporter too, but it didn't stop you from ignoring all that, and being "sour" enough to pour a little gas on the pissing matches.

[/QUOTE]

Settle down Mary.  adk was describing a scenario I am very familiar with, so I said so.  I'm sorry if that 'gas' ignited something.  This is your third rebuttal to that comment now -- kind of exactly what I was talking about.  I do agree with you for the for the most part on Julien.  And most things for that matter.  Peace.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

If you recall, your right moves came after the turning point in that series ( noted by hockey observers smarter then chowda and badhab ) when the Bruins lost Krejci and Julien had the choice between Trent Whitfield and a very green, errattic Brad Marchand.

Hockey minds smarter than Chowda or Badhab fired CJ in 2 previous organizations, the NJ firing was pretty dramatic.  His tenure in Boston has been longer than in the 2 previous organizations.  Were they that dumb in Montreal and NJ to dump a good coach?  Or was the case that he wasn't that good a coach at the time?

CJ coached teams bench minor penalty history.  You might say you can't blame all bench minors on the coach, but you have to admit the coach must have some responsibility for them.  IMO there is an enormous trend of improvement in that area.  The Zeros are happening more recently than they were earlier.

Scabs

2002-03 22

2003-04 16

2005-06 22

NJ

2006-07 8

Bruins

2007-08 18

2008-09 12

2009-10 0

2010-11 10

2011-12 0

2012-13 0

2013-14 0

• You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Wait, the B's have gone 3 seasons without a bench minor - seriously? Wow, that's a line-changing machine.

In response to red75's comment:

Wait, the B's have gone 3 seasons without a bench minor - seriously? Wow, that's a line-changing machine.

At least according to HockeyDB, I would like to verify that against another source.

I think it's significant.

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

In response to red75's comment:

At least according to HockeyDB, I would like to verify that against another source.

I think it's significant.

I would say so, and I for sure would put that on the coach. You don't get that kind of line-changing proficiency without a lot of tutelage. Not even 1 too-many-men call over that span is a feat.

And unfortunately, it's not true

http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.htm?season=20122013&gameType=2&viewName=penalties

Looks like every one of those numbers from Hockey DB are wrong.

• Sections
    Shortcuts