OK, I'm done, I promise

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

OK, I'm done, I promise

There's a few people here that 1. can't take reading things against their awesome third period hockey team, 2. can't use the "Ignore" function, and 3. still believe in the Easter Bunny. So...

I promise, I won't post anymore.

There isn't any joy in noting their knee-shaking predictable third period collapses. I've honestly never seen a team in any sport with this combination of no heart, no talent no character and no coaching. I dare anyone to make the argument there's another team comparable.

I'll continue what I was doing tonight, watching a team like the Red Wings who had the heart to win their last 3 to make the playoffs... vs other teams with heart like Dallas and Columbus who almost found a way to make the playoffs against impossible odds. You know, teams with some heart and character.

I'll check the final score of tomorrow's final choke against Ottawa, and the final scores of the short series loss to the Maple Leafs. Incidentally, both these teams have that ''character" thing going.

I'll supress the annoyance in their final choke and hope everyone gets fired, half the team gets traded, they get 2 new goalies, they mail Geoff Ward to Brazil, and they can start over with a likeable bunch like the Sox did.

Enjoy your sadistic exercise, kids.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Re: OK, I'm done, I promise

You'll watch tomorrows game, you'll watch the playoffs and you'll be back in here posting.

Guaranteed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to SoxFanInIL's comment:

There's a few people here that 1. can't take reading things against their awesome third period hockey team, 2. can't use the "Ignore" function, and 3. still believe in the Easter Bunny. So...

There isn't any joy in noting their knee-shaking predictable third period collapses. I've honestly never seen a team in any sport with this combination of no heart, no talent no character and no coaching. I dare anyone to make the argument there's another team comparable.

I'll continue what I was doing tonight, watching a team like the Red Wings who had the heart to win their last 3 to make the playoffs... vs other teams with heart like Dallas and Columbus who almost found a way to make the playoffs against impossible odds. You know, teams with some heart and character.

I'll check the final score of tomorrow's final choke against Ottawa, and the final scores of the short series loss to the Maple Leafs. Incidentally, both these teams have that ''character" thing going.

I'll supress the annoyance in their final choke and hope everyone gets fired, half the team gets traded, they get 2 new goalies, they mail Geoff Ward to Brazil, and they can start over with a likeable bunch like the Sox did.

No disrespect to you SoxFan but checking the final score vs the Sens and the scores of your anticipated playoff match-up with the Leafs still sounds like quite the involvement and interest in the Bruins.  If you really were washing your hands of them whatever they do from here on in shouldn't matter to you.  Still think you're too big a Bruin fan, albeit a massively frustrated one, to let them go.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrHulot. Show MrHulot's posts

I think "masochistic exercise" would be more appropriate.

Anyway, I for one enjoy reading your comments on this board (even if they are a little over-the-top at times), and I don't think you should apologize to the "Disciples of Pope Claudius Julius" just because you happen to disagree with them.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hanrahan1. Show Hanrahan1's posts

If anything this board does not need automatic compliance. There's too much of that already. I don't often post when the Bruins win because so many of the regular posters do such a good job of the analysis that anything I would have to add would just be pointless. The problem comes when some of the same regular posters seem unable or unwilling to distinguish between legitimate frustrated Bs fans from the obvious trolls like 'Colon Campbell' and such.

If SoxFanIL does leave permanently then its his decision but I'd like to think its because of his frustration with the Bs and not with this board.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrHulot. Show MrHulot's posts

In response to Hanrahan1's comment:

If anything this board does not need automatic compliance. There's too much of that already. I don't often post when the Bruins win because so many of the regular posters do such a good job of the analysis that anything I would have to add would just be pointless. The problem comes when some of the same regular posters seem unable or unwilling to distinguish between legitimate frustrated Bs fans from the obvious trolls like 'Colon Campbell' and such.

If SoxFanIL does leave permanently then its his decision but I'd like to think its because of his frustration with the Bs and not with this board.

I wholeheartedly agree with you.

I definitely don't consider myself a masochist, but I'm afraid some of "The Disciples of Pope Claudius Julius" are... How some pepople seem to enjoy watching their team making the same mistakes over and over again without being frustrated is beyond me. I want the Bruins to win the cup, nothing less. If they play as well as they can and still lose, I can accept that - but does anybody in his right mind really think that they are simply not good enough to hold a third-period lead?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

Soxfan please don't let the thought police chase you away.  This is a public forum where all ideas (that are not hurtful) should be welcome.  You vent after loses and that should be allowed and understood.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

After years of posting about what a lousy goalie Thomas was, and how they should get rid of him, and make Rask #1, you are already willing to jettison Tuukka after 1/2 a normal season?

He is playing behind a team, that according to you, has no heart, and has still managed a .930 save %, a gaa under 2.00, and is tied for the league lead, with 5 shutouts, and you are still unhappy.

This team can be frustrating, but they have a chance to win their division, in the final game of the season. I'll take that, every year.

It's your choice to dwell on the negatives, and I have no problem with that. I just don't understand why you feel the need to ridicule others, who don't sare your view, or who don't want to embrace the level of misery, you seem to relish.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Nothing makes me laugh harder than people who complain that there's no tolerance for disagreement because people disagree with them.  Go ahead and keep bringing your venting and frustration to the board - absolutely, it's a public board - but the fact that it's a public board means that by making public statements, you're opening up a public dialogue where people who are also frustrated by the team but who react differently to that frustration have exactly the same right to point out that your posts are hysterical venting.  That's not playing the thought police; it's not being part of some kool-aid drinking cult; and it's not being blind to the way the team is currently playing.  It's exercising exactly the same right to vent.  You're not a hero of free speech if you then turn around and complain that everyone isn't agreeing with you.  You're not some keeper of the truth just because you think the apocalypse is right around the corner.  Get over yourself.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Hanrahan1's comment:

Maybe because they spew the same crap with a different intent?  This guy here is a dope.  For quite a while, all he has brought here is negativity.  It's okay to speak the truth.  It's encouraged to disagree with others.  The problem arises when you have 100 posts and 99 of them are about the gutless, heartless pukes. 

I'm not a "everyone be happy" type of person, but I'm also not a "misery loves company" person either.  People like SoxFan are like the old SNL skit Debbie Downer.  Once in a while, it's fine, but honestly, who wants to read that garbage after every single loss? 

If this fool were a contributing member here on a consistent basis, it may have a different effect.  He never posts after a victory.  After the 2-0 win a few days ago, he was nowhere to be seen.  After a loss, boom.  It's childish, isn't unnecessary, it doesn't contribute to the community we have here and it's unwanted.

So please, Soxfan, make this your last post. 

Or grow the F up.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickyHussle. Show RickyHussle's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

Nothing makes me laugh harder than people who complain that there's no tolerance for disagreement because people disagree with them.  Go ahead and keep bringing your venting and frustration to the board - absolutely, it's a public board - but the fact that it's a public board means that by making public statements, you're opening up a public dialogue where people who are also frustrated by the team but who react differently to that frustration have exactly the same right to point out that your posts are hysterical venting.  That's not playing the thought police; it's not being part of some kool-aid drinking cult; and it's not being blind to the way the team is currently playing.  It's exercising exactly the same right to vent.  You're not a hero of free speech if you then turn around and complain that everyone isn't agreeing with you.  You're not some keeper of the truth just because you think the apocalypse is right around the corner.  Get over yourself.

This is a very good post.  Which made me rethink the way I look at some of the back and forth I see.

With that said, I enjoy our frustrated posters as much or more then I enjoy the group at the top who feel there is some finite set of appropriate thoughts to have.  I often feel lines are drawn where the other side is an idiot.  I believe anyone who draws such a line is an idiot.  Tongue Out

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Soxfan, reluctantly i agree, but, as usual have a few observations. four or five years ago, and every year since, my wife has heard me bellow " Chara, You jerk". She then points out that chara has been one of the class acts on the bruins, and she's right. The alternative to my frustration with the big man is that he is not too smart when he makes mistakes like last night. Claude has built this team around Chara for defensive style, so how he goes, so goes this team. Should Peter even think of trading the towering D-man? Will Chara ever have the smarts to wrist it instead of his 300 mile slapper ? He's obviously not the only one, but he is the " Big Man"

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In response to MrHulot's comment:

I think "masochistic exercise" would be more appropriate.

Anyway, I for one enjoy reading your comments on this board (even if they are a little over-the-top at times), and I don't think you should apologize to the "Disciples of Pope Claudius Julius" just because you happen to disagree with them.

I probably spend more time here, than I should, and I can't really think of any "Disciples of Pope Claudious".....  Can't remember reading any posts recently, where the other side suggested he was any more than "good enough' for now....or....it was unfair to label the problems as mainly his fault.

I've read lots of posts disagreeing with the premise that he's a complete hockey moron...an incompetent savant....but that's not any kind of endorsement, let alone worship.  More a reaction to mindless drama.

The term you're using is grossly exagerated.

If the Bruins go down in the first round, I don't think you'll see many passionate posts, pleading for CJ's return.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Thinking about the masochistic thing...isn't it fundamentally masochistic to say that you're only happy if the team wins the Cup?  The team that has met that standard the most since 1967 - the expansion era - is the Scabs with 10 Cups in 44 years but none in the last 20 years.  In the recent expansion era, the most successful team is Detroit with 4 cups in 20 years and 1 in the last 10.  So the most successful teams are destined to cause you pain at least 3 out of 4 years and at worst every year for two decades.  And yet people wear as a badge of honour that they won't 'accept' anything less than a Cup win.  That's your choice.  You keep coming back year after year with those expectations as the root of your pleasure in following the team.  That seems masochistic.  That's enjoying your pain.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrHulot. Show MrHulot's posts

In response to stevegm's comment:

...The term you're using is grossly exagerated...

That's just my point; I consider posting on this board as a fun thing (see my user name and avatar - no, I'm not French, I simply love Jacques Tati - and ipotnyc is right, he was a real genius!), so sometimes it's fun to exaggerate - a lot funnier, I think, than telling people who happen to disagree with some users here to simply "get lost".

And I happen to disagree with those who seem to be afraid of making some drastic changes. This Bruins team has a lot of talent, which is definitely not utilized to the fullest (see power play problems). Geoff Ward should have never gotten the job behind the bench in the first place - just imagine this scenario: CJ chokes on a chicken wing and is out for the playoffs - now Ward becomes interim head coach!

And CJ was, at times, good for the Bruins, as he got them out of the Dave Lewis doldrums. No one can take the 2011 cup win away from him; however, this team has since returned to the inconsistent play of 2009-10, and Julien's stubbornness and predictability seem to work against them.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to biggskye's comment:

After years of posting about what a lousy goalie Thomas was, and how they should get rid of him, and make Rask #1, you are already willing to jettison Tuukka after 1/2 a normal season?

He is playing behind a team, that according to you, has no heart, and has still managed a .930 save %, a gaa under 2.00, and is tied for the league lead, with 5 shutouts, and you are still unhappy.

Very typical of a Red Sox fan Big Sky, finally Boston gets rid Varitek and all of New England now complains about Saltalamacchia. Everyone on here had to go through these terrible posts in 2010 and 2011 up to the cup. "Thomas is terrible", "Bruins are never going to win the cup!". And the thought process now is "well it was Tuukka's fault Philly came back". I think most don't want to see un-informed posts is all.

"anything I would have to add would just be pointless"

You are correct about this Hanrahan, never once have one of your posts been objective just run-on sentence complaining.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrHulot. Show MrHulot's posts

@Bookboy007: Speaking only for myself, but you're wrong. I am happy if they give a full effort.

But the goal is to win the cup, right? Or is it again "just to make the playoffs and fill the barn", as it was in the good old Harry Sinden days? I love the Bruins, but I want them to win the cup - and you don't? 

I can accept things like players playing hurt or being tired, but I cannot accept stuff like "why don't we hand the Penguins the cup right now?". SoxFan thinks this team has no heart, while my guess is that the B's biggest problem lies behind the bench.
    BTW: I don't care how many cups the Scabs or Pissburgh have won or will win, I could never ever root for them. If Pissburgh would play against a team called Taliban Kabul, I would probably root for the Taliban.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

This thread really doesn't even have anything to do with hockey.  It's about cohabitating when choosing to speak publicly.

I see comments about the "party line", or "venting".  My favorite, "everyones opinion should be welcome and deserves respect".  

Many gray area's in this world, but there's still lots of black and white.  The basics of public speaking, are pretty well defined.  Book nailed the "party line", "kool-aid", "thought police" idiocy expertly.  Those aren't his thoughts, they're fundamental teachings.

Venting though, hasn't been dealt with.  Venting is basically, "having a tantrum."  It deserves no respect and certainly no quarter.  If someone feels the need to go off half cocked, they should have the good sense to do it privately, then rejoin society when they can speak logically.  Sox and co seem to feel it's their right to rant illogically, without being called on it.  Nobody's arguing his right to speak, they're calling out his logic.  Like all tantrums, everythings exagerated, and dramatized, and out of context, and convoluted.  In any grade school debating club, the average student will absolutely  "slay" the opponent whose speaking from nothing more than unbridled hysteria.  That party is then instructed to sit down, shut up, and do a little more listening, before getting up on their soap box again.  Crying foul, just makes that person look stupider.

And this respect "crap".  Millions seem to be getting that backwards these days.    Grounded opinions deserve respect.  Thoughtfull reasonable opinions deserve respect.  Opinions shaped by "venting"...don't.  Those with zero logic don't either.  Good manners suggest they be quietly ignored, but when dumb thoughts are repeatedly  screamed, in a public manner...all bets are off.

If someone chooses to be a defeatist quitter, when moderate intelligence suggests it has less than a 50% chance of playing out....it's their option.

It is, however, a dumb one.

Expecting agreement, and merely screaming louder and louder,.... is even dumber.

Whether it's hockey, or any other topic, the fundamentals of a public discussion/ debate, are the same.  This ain't about hockey.  It's dumb vs dumber.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

@Bookboy007: Speaking only for myself, but you're wrong. I am happy if they give a full effort.

But the goal is to win the cup, right? Or is it again "just to make the playoffs and fill the barn", as it was in the good old Harry Sinden days? I love the Bruins, but I want them to win the cup - and you don't? 

I can accept things like players playing hurt or being tired, but I cannot accept stuff like "why don't we hand the Penguins the cup right now?". SoxFan thinks this team has no heart, while my guess is that the B's biggest problem lies behind the bench.
    BTW: I don't care how many cups the Scabs or Pissburgh have won or will win, I could never ever root for them. If Pissburgh would play against a team called Taliban Kabul, I would probably root for the Taliban.

Harry was merely being honest enough to speak forthcoming about the business of hockey.  That statement wasn't concerning the "competition" side. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In response to stevegm's comment:

...The term you're using is grossly exagerated...

That's just my point; I consider posting on this board as a fun thing (see my user name and avatar - no, I'm not French, I simply love Jacques Tati - and ipotnyc is right, he was a real genius!), so sometimes it's fun to exaggerate - a lot funnier, I think, than telling people who happen to disagree with some users here to simply "get lost".

And I happen to disagree with those who seem to be afraid of making some drastic changes. This Bruins team has a lot of talent, which is definitely not utilized to the fullest (see power play problems). Geoff Ward should have never gotten the job behind the bench in the first place - just imagine this scenario: CJ chokes on a chicken wing and is out for the playoffs - now Ward becomes interim head coach!

And CJ was, at times, good for the Bruins, as he got them out of the Dave Lewis doldrums. No one can take the 2011 cup win away from him; however, this team has since returned to the inconsistent play of 2009-10, and Julien's stubbornness and predictability seem to work against them.

From the top.

I hate to come off like this, but geez...That's "your point" !!  "its fun to exagerate"  !!  How fluckin stupid is that???

No one is telling Sox, or anyone else to get lost!  That's his own stupid proclamaion/threat !

Who is "afraid" of making drastic changes?? !!  Drastic changes aren't an option.  Only one.  Fire the coach.  Everything else is just tweaking.

If CJ "chokes", Ward does NOT necessarily become head coach.  Where did you get that idea?  This is the Bruins, not the White House.

In the case of CJ's "stubborness and predictability"...I don't see that.  Unlike the above though, that statement does deserve respect.  I don't agree, but I respect it.  Please expand on that statement.  You're seeing it differently than me, and I'm interested to know why.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Of course I want them to win the Cup every year, but I don't expect them too because we're past the dynasty era, and so it isn't a condition of my enjoying the team.

On the question of this team's talent - how do we know there's more there that Julien isn't getting out of these guys?  Take Jagr for a start.  He has 9 points in 11 games for about .82 points/game. In Dallas, he scored about .77 points/game, and in Philly last year it was .74 playing with Giroux and Hartnell.  So he's getting more points out of Jagr than any coach since JJ returned to the NHL.  Lucic, Marchand, Seguin, Hamilton, Boychuk, McQuaid, Krejci - none of these guys has played for another NHL coach, so we don't know what they would do under someone else, and those are pretty much the names you'd have to start with to make the argument that Julien is stifling their creativity.  But we can look at Bergeron and say that his numbers have steadily climbed back up since his massive concussion under Julien, and last year, he was only 9 points off his pre-concussion high when he played a centrepiece offensive role.  Horton's numbers are comparable between his time in Florida and his Boston time.  Kelly had a career year last year including his first 20 goal season.  Peverley had his best points/game season in his career last year.  Ference had his second-best offensive year last year, and his production in Boston has been consistent with his earlier stops generally.

So if I'm resistant to flushing the coaching it's because I don't buy the argument that there are a bunch of Bruins who will suddenly score significantly more if released from Julien's clutches.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrHulot. Show MrHulot's posts

From the top:

- I really don't care what you regard as "stupid". I found the responses to some of SoxFan's earlier postings a lot more offensive/offending (most of them were basically asking him to leave this board) than my remark; and, btw, this thread is not just "his own stupid proclamation/thread".

- "Drastic changes aren't an option." Oh well. But then again, "only one. Fire the coach".
    So one drastic change would indeed be an option, right? And this is the one that some people, in my opinion, seem to be afraid of - with the spectre of the "Dave Lewis Abyss" looming...

- Maybe I wasn't clear enough on the "Ward replaces CJ" theory - I was merely musing about what would happen if CJ suddenly got ill and couldn't fulfill his coaching duties during the playoffs, an emergency scenario - which would leave either Ward or Doug Houda as interim head coach options.

- I see stubbornness and predictability in putting the fourth line on the ice when the Bruins are down a goal with only a couple of minutes to play, for instance.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hanrahan1. Show Hanrahan1's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

In response to biggskye's comment:

Very typical of a Red Sox fan Big Sky, finally Boston gets rid Varitek and all of New England now complains about Saltalamacchia. Everyone on here had to go through these terrible posts in 2010 and 2011 up to the cup. "Thomas is terrible", "Bruins are never going to win the cup!". And the thought process now is "well it was Tuukka's fault Philly came back". I think most don't want to see un-informed posts is all.

"anything I would have to add would just be pointless"

You are correct about this Hanrahan, never once have one of your posts been objective just run-on sentence complaining.

I'm afraid I have to disagree with you on that SanDog. Sure I've had a few ranty posts here and there but on balance my posts are pretty level headed. But , any advice on the quality and consistency of my prose would be greatly appreciated from a master like yourself.

Sections
Shortcuts