OK Shanny time for consistency there should be a Shanaban incoming

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

OK Shanny time for consistency there should be a Shanaban incoming

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_l5gOlr4unw&feature=player_embedded

Im going to say 2-3gms as Foligno doesn't have the history of Marchand. But if this doesnt even get a look at from the VP of Player Safety. Then I have to ask is there really a league crackdown specifically targeted at the B's?? does mass amounts of fan/media groaning like VAN with Marchand's suspension really influence these decisions?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from amazinglarry. Show amazinglarry's posts

Re: OK Shanny time for consistency there should be a Shanaban incoming

See to me that still seems like a fairly decent hip check.  It isn't at or below the knees.  They do still allow hip checks in this game, do they not?  

I don't get it.  If the rule specifically states that a clipping penalty is when a player makes contact with another at or below the knees... how can they call a penalty when it's at the hip/thigh area?  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

Really don't think Shanny or anybody else has any agenda regarding the B's...it's just hysteria, that the league is pandering to.  If you look at this hit, it's definately "not", "at or below the knees", as per the NHL rule book(nor was Marchands), so neither are even a minor penalty, let alone suspension.
    Easy to see why people are making the comparisons though.  Pretty much the same, as explained in detail by Shannahan .. "predatory" type hit.
    Check out last weeks Bieksa submarine on D Moore.  Another nearly identical "predatory" hit...right in front of the referee.  Not even a minor penalty called.  Both of these, as well as the Marchand hit, were all, conclusively above the knees.
    So...in the span of less than 2 weeks, we have at least 3 very, very, similar hits.
    The first gets a minor, game misconduct, and a 5 game suspension.  the second, doesn't even get a minor....and the 3rd, gets a minor penalty.

This is nowhere near a league sanctioned conspiracy...just good old fashioned stupidity.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from amazinglarry. Show amazinglarry's posts

Well not to split hairs but the first (the one that got the 5 game suspension) got a 5 minute major... on which the Canucks scored twice on.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

the difference between the marchand hip check and the others is that marchand follows though with his upper body. kinda like a big time wrestling move, after swinging the guy off the ropes. his arms end up extended high above his head. these other checks, the guy stays low, and doesn't use his upper body to eccentuate the flipping process. same initial hit and point of contact, which by the rules is OK. the predatory thing is ridiculous, every guy looking to lay a check is predatory.  marchands hit was within the rules as stated, but it "looked" bad with his upper body extending, so they made up a call to punish it. he hits low and stays low= no penalty, no suspension.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Considering whom Foligno took care of I must turn a blind eye and allow the refs to handle this on the ice te-hee. I usually can't stand the Leafs play by play man but he made a good comment after the Foligno-Phaneuf fight "They handled their squabble on the ice the way it should be".

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In Response to Re: OK Shanny time for consistency there should be a Shanaban incoming:
    [QUOTE]Well not to split hairs but the first (the one that got the 5 game suspension) got a 5 minute major... on which the Canucks scored twice on.
    Posted by amazinglarry[/QUOTE]

My bad, you're absolutely right amazinglarry.  I think it was originally considered a minor, but when it appeared Salo was going to die on the spot, the ref decided it probably may as well be a major.
    Anyway, my statement is incorrect.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In Response to Re: OK Shanny time for consistency there should be a Shanaban incoming:
    [QUOTE]Considering whom Foligno took care of I must turn a blind eye and allow the refs to handle this on the ice te-hee. I usually can't stand the Leafs play by play man but he made a good comment after the Foligno-Phaneuf fight "They handled their squabble on the ice the way it should be".
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]
    You mean Joe "Holy Mackinaw" Bowen? What a twit, yells his head off and nearly has a stroke calling an icing.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

[QUOTE]the difference between the marchand hip check and the others is that marchand follows though with his upper body. kinda like a big time wrestling move, after swinging the guy off the ropes. his arms end up extended high above his head. these other checks, the guy stays low, and doesn't use his upper body to eccentuate the flipping process. same initial hit and point of contact, which by the rules is OK. the predatory thing is ridiculous, every guy looking to lay a check is predatory.  marchands hit was within the rules as stated, but it "looked" bad with his upper body extending, so they made up a call to punish it. he hits low and stays low= no penalty, no suspension.  
    Posted by adkbeesfan[/QUOTE]

I can't argue your point adkbeesfan, except to say that there's nothing about the flipping process anywhere in the rules either.  It's a reasonable thought though, and you're the first one I've heard from with that twist.  What's interesting to me...is that the whole hockey world is going outside the rules, to try and find something, they "don't like"......become an infraction of the rules.   Bruin lovers, Bruin haters, Pro analysts, beer league refs, they all seem to be "surmizing" as to not only the violation....but the "message" too.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Phaneuf finished the game ?  then there will be no suspension. It is what it is.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from fishfinger. Show fishfinger's posts

All i would like to see is consistancy. The problem with the NHL is they have never had it. You could have the same play and the disipline will be inconcistent. I do not see bias just incompatence.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karl-Hungus. Show Karl-Hungus's posts

shanny clown has esp so he knows whether the hit was predatory or not. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I see little difference in either hit. I also don't think they are penalties.  This new trend of calling clipping on hip checks bothers me.  Clipping was intended for the samuelsson-neely type hits that take out knees, not for these.  I'm not sure if I want Folingo suspended for a game or two for consistency, or if I want nothing to happen because I don't want a type of hitting to be taken from the game for no reason.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

OatesCam, the letter of the ruling has been changed by the Marchand decison.  The on ice refs and disciplianrian (shenanigans) will now have to redefine the existing rule.  Yikes!  So be it, I am particularily wondering if the NHL should look at the games "once completed" independently without input of the on ice officials to assess player misconduct, embellishment, ref inconsistencies and the like.  It can be done in this technological time.  Certainly it would place less empahsis on Shananhan to make final rulings.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Just as dirty as Marchand's hit.  A suspension must follow.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

There are a few things that make it hard to compare the two - Phaneuf sees the hit coming, and he jumps a bit, which means he makes the point of contact lower.  Phaneuf had the puck; he wasn't about to hit Foligno.  That means that on the one hand, Foligno is doing something far more common in trying to make a hit to take his man out of the play - throwing a hip check as OatesCam says.  On the other hand, you see him start to prepare the hip check  early, a good second or two before the actual contact, and it's clear he's setting up for the hip check and not a regular body check.  To me, that would seem more premeditated or predatory than what Marchand did, though you could argue Marchand's sudden lunge at Salo was the tripping of a trap he set for him.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from fishfinger. Show fishfinger's posts

Phaneuf did not get injured so there will be no suspention. That seems to be the criteria for suspentions. Bob Mckenzie said as much on TSN last night. So just when the NHL seems to be on the right track they screw it uop again.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

how is it that people have difficulty seeing the difference between marchands hit and all the others? the hits themselves were all the same(a hip check above the knees)- it's #63's follow through that got him suspended. all the rest STAY low. marchy stands straight up after contact, arms raised to the air in an obvious attempt to send salo flying through the air with gusto. there's nothing in the rules that covers this, that's why we heard the bogus explanation from shanny. it looked bad. and like he wanted to send salo into the stands after completing a flip or two.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

[QUOTE]how is it that people have difficulty seeing the difference between marchands hit and all the others? the hits themselves were all the same(a hip check above the knees)- it's #63's follow through that got him suspended. all the rest STAY low. marchy stands straight up after contact, arms raised to the air in an obvious attempt to send salo flying through the air with gusto. there's nothing in the rules that covers this, that's why we heard the bogus explanation from shanny. it looked bad. and like he wanted to send salo into the stands after completing a flip or two.
    Posted by adkbeesfan[/QUOTE]

I'll take a stab at that question adkbeesfan.  When someone picks out very subtle difference, in 3 different hits like you just did...with the luxury of seeing it several times, and using slo-mo...it's painfully obvious that referee's should never be expected to pick this out in real time.  That is a very fundamental realization the league should have, when discussing fair play, and the role of referee's. 
    Although somewhat different, again,  the differences are subtle, when comparing them to the other hits we're discussing here.  In order to differentiate, one has to take a CSI approach, and that defies both the logic, and the spirit of rules in sport. 
    Nobody in the game right now, is confident what a clip is.
    Too bad the brightest minds in the game......apparently aren't working for the NHL.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

[QUOTE]Considering whom Foligno took care of I must turn a blind eye and allow the refs to handle this on the ice te-hee. I usually can't stand the Leafs play by play man but he made a good comment after the Foligno-Phaneuf fight "They handled their squabble on the ice the way it should be".
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

I think the players handled it on the ice (but as a Leaf fan it would have been nice to see retribution from someone at the time it happened like you see the Bruins do when one of their own players get hurt).  Leafs are so soft, especially up front.

In this incident, it looked worse because Phaneuf jumped slightly at the same time and thus the roll-over was worst.  He was his own enemy on that hit.

I thought it was a penalty but not a dirty clip.  I don't expect any suspension.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

the thing is....what marchand did was not subtle at all. it looked like he was doing the wave. no slo-mo or frame by frame needed. the guy in the nose bleed seat saw this. the point of contact and intention is the same for all the checks. marchand just went a little overboard in making sure salo was airborne. believe me, after first watching marchands hit, i thought "it's just like every other hip check i've ever seen"- UNTIL i watched a bunch of others and noticed they did not follow through with their upper body. i don't think there's wording in the rule book that makes this follow through illegal, but boy it looked bad. hence the load of garbage we heard when shanny described the hit. he couldn't say "look at the way marchand raises his upper body and arms to assist in up-ending salo"  - because this is not against the rules. but he knew it looked REAL bad. and after letting marchy off the hook earlier, he had to come down hard on him.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

The part i don't understand is how Shanahan can tell which hits are "predatory" or not. Is he the second coming of Kreskin ? I mean he can look at the video a thousand times and look at the players faces and decide, " boy he really meant to hurt him on that check", "i can tell by the way his arms waved that this was intentional and unnecessary" ? I just think if the league decides that this is a player they want to rein in , then a bigger suspension is coming, end of story. Hamhuis, Ballard, Foligno are obviously not players the league feels need harnessing.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Looks like pretty much the same hit as Marchand to me.  I mean, we can pick out some subtle little differences, but only in Colin Campbell's world of dartboard justice is one a major, an ejection, and a 5-game suspension, while the other is a 2-minute penalty.

If Marchand's was 'predatory', then so was this one.

That's where we are at now though.  I won't be surprised if nothing happens.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

every check in hockey is predatory. you're stalking someone with bad intentions. some peoples intentions are just a little worse than others. shanny needed a reason to suspend marchand, because by the book, his hit was legal. it was the intentional flipping(not covered in the rule book) that looked so bad, so he had to make something up to warrant a suspension. there will be a rule that's rewritten this off-season thanks to marchy.... the clipping/ intentionally aiding to the flipping of the opponent rule. 

Sections
Shortcuts