Okay now let's discuss the "Powerplay"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Okay now let's discuss the "Powerplay"

In today's article:
    Tomas Kaberle manned the point on the No. 1 unit, joined by Zdeno Chara, Bergeron, Peverley, and Mark Recchi. Peverley and Bergeron alternated on the left boards.

Finally they get it !  It's not only the quarterback that was needed but a winger with speed. Peverly might not be the best sniper but he can carry and pickup speed with the puck that'll make the other team backup.  Then Kaberle comes in to setup.  I hope it works.
    I'm guessing Bergeron will be up on the half wall ready to onetime and finally Recchi in front of the net .
    This might just work although Julien must stick with it and get chemistry going . He can't keep changing.
    Off topic a little but continuing on the chemistry issue, ask yourselves this;  What line has been kept together the most ? 
    Bergeron, Recchi and Marchand .  Isn't it best one ? 

UPDATE:
    NO MATTER WHAT THEY DO IT`S POWERLESS ONE AFTER ANOTHER.  IT WORKS AGAINST THE BRUINS.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from legolaspinkerton. Show legolaspinkerton's posts

Re: Okay now let's discuss the "Powerplay"

I think the Lucic-Krejci-Horton line has probably played the most games together this season. Although there was a break in the middle of the year for them.

But you're right, chemistry is important.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

This looks much better to me, but my only concern is there is no real sniper on there, not that the Bruins even have a true sniper.  I hope that the PP2 unit with Krejci and Ryder get some time with Chara and Kaberle too.  Krejci is probably the most creative and Ryder or Horton, believe it or not, probably has the best wrist shots on team.

Still not totally sold on Recchi being on the PP unit.  Wouldn't Lucic or Horton be better there.

Agree with you thoughts on Peverly -- his speed makes it easier for them to get the puck in the zone whether he carries or chases it down.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Fletch, I know what you're saying and Horton is supposed to be our real sniper once setup but he's had his ups and downs on the PP .  When the puck was not going in for him Julien removed him.    This is where I say stick with it !  They have the talent why do you move away from it when any other player you put isn't working anyway.
    I like the idea of having Bruns 1st line on as PP unit,  just like the good old days, your best line on the PP.
    On an important note we're not mentioning Ryder .  Believe it or not he's been the Bruins best sniper on the PP. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Yeah, obviously Chara and Kaberle are on the blueline as much as possible on all powerplays.  Then from the forwards you want a combination of speed (Peverly), passing (Bergeron, Krejci), a sniper (Horton, Ryder), and a net front presence (Lucic, Recchi).

So some sensible combination and balance of these skills is what we want.  I just think the unit at the top of the post might be missing a true shooter, but you can only have so many guys out there.  I like the Bruins options. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Okay now let's discuss the "Powerplay":
    This looks much better to me, but my only concern is there is no real sniper on there, not that the Bruins even have a true sniper.  I hope that the PP2 unit with Krejci and Ryder get some time with Chara and Kaberle too.  Krejci is probably the most creative and Ryder or Horton, believe it or not, probably has the best wrist shots on team. Still not totally sold on Recchi being on the PP unit.  Wouldn't Lucic or Horton be better there. Agree with you thoughts on Peverly -- his speed makes it easier for them to get the puck in the zone whether he carries or chases it down.
    Posted by Fletcher1

I agree on Recchi.I know he's had decent PP production but still feels he's the weakest link in the chain out there.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

I think the Lucic-Krejci-Horton line has probably played the most games together this season. Although there was a break in the middle of the year for them. But you're right, chemistry is important.
    Posted by legolaspinkerton

Maybe but when Krejci got the concussion and then wasn't doing well Julien split them up. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In Response to Re: Okay now let's discuss the "Powerplay" : I agree on Recchi.I know he's had decent PP production but still feels he's the weakest link in the chain out there.
    Posted by dezaruchi

Maybe but I feel Julien was not using him properly.  He had him on the half wall and manning the point.  Wrong!
    Recchi if on the PP must be in front of the net.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

It's becoming more and more evident that the problem is on the wings (speed) . I didn't see last nights game but seems like yet again no goals on PP.  While everyone thought with Kaberle in the PP would thrive it's still not working. 
     I like Bergeron and Krejci on the PP but they're strong once the puck is brought into the zone and then setting up. The PP still needs that speed going in along with a player with a quick release (pass or shot on net).

I'm all for a force feed of Seguin on the PP.  It's the only thing Julien and coaching staff hasn't stuck by.  Leave him in no matter the outcome or at least for about the next 10-15 pps.  Do or die ,  no ?
    Seguin is a good passer,  can generate speed and I think off the wall he can fire some good shots.  Also use him as a give and go,  that's his forte ,  not possessing the puck down the wall , grinding it out. Use the other side with Krejci or Bergeron for puck possession along with Kaberle at the point.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

If you watched last nights game you would have noticed how well TB executed their PK. They attacked Kabs and didn't allow him to move around too much. It almost looked like a 5 on 5 they attacked so well.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

what i know about the pp is this...if it ever starts to click, this team will be almost untouchable! think about where they are w/o an effective pp.- scary 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

what i know about the pp is this...if it ever starts to click, this team will be almost untouchable! think about where they are w/o an effective pp.- scary 
    Posted by adkbeesfan

Maybe it'll click in the playoffs.  It did last season against the Sabres and till Krejci got hurt.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

I think they are getting better looks now with Kaberle helping out. It'll come.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

It's becoming more and more evident that the problem is on the wings (speed) . I didn't see last nights game but seems like yet again no goals on PP.  While everyone thought with Kaberle in the PP would thrive it's still not working.   I like Bergeron and Krejci on the PP but they're strong once the puck is brought into the zone and then setting up. The PP still needs that speed going in along with a player with a quick release (pass or shot on net). I'm all for a force feed of Seguin on the PP.  It's the only thing Julien and coaching staff hasn't stuck by.  Leave him in no matter the outcome or at least for about the next 10-15 pps.  Do or die ,  no ? Seguin is a good passer,  can generate speed and I think off the wall he can fire some good shots.  Also use him as a give and go,  that's his forte ,  not possessing the puck down the wall , grinding it out. Use the other side with Krejci or Bergeron for puck possession along with Kaberle at the point.
    Posted by BsLegion

Speed, speed, and more speed. Couldn't agree more, and I think it's more important to have on the PP than a classic "sniper."

The reason is b/c if you watch other teams that have big time PP's, the one thing they do best is get the puck over the opposing blue line quickly, and from there establish the attack, moving the puck around. If a team is constantly having to dump the puck in and establish that set attack via forecheck it's almost always less successful, and frustrating to watch as well.

So I also wish Claude would let Seguin loose on the PP., but at least with Peverly in the fold you get that speed AND you get his excellent face-off ability, which I've been really impressed with.

So at this point I'd like to see a first unit PP consisting of Chara and Kabs on the points, with Bergy centering Peverly and Seguin on the wings (maybe letting Peverly take the face offs, altho' Bergy is pretty strong there as well.) doubt this will ever happen, but I bet it would produce great results.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Anyone think Kaberle and Seidenberg might work better as a unit at the point?

I know it sounds like blasphemy leaving Chara on a second unit (some of the time) with someone like a Kampfer, but Kaberle and Seidenberg get their shots off quicker and get more shots through, in my opinion.

Chara needs more room and space for his shots to count.

Kreicji needs to pick up his game here.

This is where Savard is sorely missed.  He created so much room because he waited out defenders and drew them to him.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BuzzardBoots. Show BuzzardBoots's posts

Nice work, lads... I was pleasantly surprised to open this thread and not be disappointed/angered by some lame-arse whiner complaining about the 1-fer since they "sold the farm" to get Kaberle...

Let's hope they can work out the kinks over the next few weeks, start putting some in the nets, and charge into the playoffs.  It's gonna be a fun spring!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigD7. Show BigD7's posts

The PP is "looking" better but not producing, almost everyone has had a shot a playing on it. It make come on its own, but...

At this point, I think the strategic approach needs to change. I'm putting this back on the coaching staff now. We either need to pass the puck quicker to open someone up on the off side, or rebuild the attack on the strenght of our forwards (when we're in the offensive zone).

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from CafardoSaysTradeBrady. Show CafardoSaysTradeBrady's posts

Anyone think Kaberle and Seidenberg might work better as a unit at the point? I know it sounds like blasphemy leaving Chara on a second unit (some of the time) with someone like a Kampfer, but Kaberle and Seidenberg get their shots off quicker and get more shots through, in my opinion. Chara needs more room and space for his shots to count. Kreicji needs to pick up his game here. This is where Savard is sorely missed.  He created so much room because he waited out defenders and drew them to him.
    Posted by BBReigns

Why not Kaberle and Kampfer as the first unit (assuming Kampfer's healthy)? Defense would be a concern but they'd move the puck more cleanly more often, and Kampfer's shot last night at even strength was pretty impressive.

I'm starting to agree that Chara might not be the best option. He's just not good enough with the puck.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from CafardoSaysTradeBrady. Show CafardoSaysTradeBrady's posts

I'm all for a force feed of Seguin on the PP.  It's the only thing Julien and coaching staff hasn't stuck by.  Leave him in no matter the outcome or at least for about the next 10-15 pps.  Do or die ,  no ? Seguin is a good passer,  can generate speed and I think off the wall he can fire some good shots.  Also use him as a give and go,  that's his forte ,  not possessing the puck down the wall , grinding it out. Use the other side with Krejci or Bergeron for puck possession along with Kaberle at the point.
    Posted by BsLegion

Seguin's absence on the power play is the unanswerable question. You'd hate to think it's coaching stubbornness but...

Tyler generates offensive chances almost in spite of himself and the power play seems like the most natural fit, but you know it will take a few shifts to get comfortable and he probably wouldn't get that extra time unless he happened to score on the first or second shift. Plus with the recent improvements in possession time in the offensive zone, there would be even greater pressure on Tyler not to lose the puck.

I hope they do exactly what you suggest and say "this is what we'll do for the next x games barring a complete meltdown." because I think that would give us the best chance to have a consistent weapon for the playoffs, but I don't expect it to happen.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

Brick said best last nite when  he said they need to work the puck down low more so that it opens up the point shots, right now my mens league team could shut down the Bruins power play

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

In Response to Re: Okay now let's discuss the "Powerplay" : Why not Kaberle and Kampfer as the first unit (assuming Kampfer's healthy)? Defense would be a concern but they'd move the puck more cleanly more often, and Kampfer's shot last night at even strength was pretty impressive. I'm starting to agree that Chara might not be the best option. He's just not good enough with the puck.
    Posted by CafardoSaysTradeBrady

Sure. That';s the same line of logic. 

Teams are just keying on the point plays, especially on Chara winding up.  He gets no angle, little room and the shot either goes wide or is blocked. 

Savard is missed greatly here, so they need more from Kreijci in terms of working the side boards better and also shooting more when he has a chance.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

They are getting more point shots now than before. The need is for both Lucic and Horton to jam the front. Recchi once was great at this, but even last year defensemen [ bigger and stronger] were moving him to the side. I'm in agreement on the Peverly/Bergeron/Seguin trio for speed , movement , and shooting; while Kreji/Lucic/Horton jam for rebounds. this gives two different looks on the PP Kaberle and Chars as one duo and Seidenberg/Kamfer for the speedier look. Recchi has always made his money in front of the net, but he is now slower in both skating and reaction. His experience tells him where he ahould be, but he can no longer get there.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

i agree that recchi has lost "a step or two"- but did i hear correctly on last nites telecast that he was the b's pp points leader? this is totally a question- not a statement- anyone know who is the pp point leader?- can't count new acquisitions numbers- weren't with the b's long enough

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Recchi it is:

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

I blame this loss on this inept PP.  Their 3rd goal was due to a horrible PP and positioning.
    What about that 5min pp ....

When McQuAID got high sticked and the refs missed I wasn't that upset.

Let`s up they figure it out for the playoffs.

Sections
Shortcuts