Okay now let's discuss the "Powerplay"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from stingerjp. Show stingerjp's posts

Re: Okay now let's discuss the "Powerplay"

In Response to Re: Okay now let's discuss the "Powerplay":
    [QUOTE]I blame this loss on this inept PP.  Their 3rd goal was due to a horrible PP and positioning. What about that 5min pp .... When McQuAID got high sticked and the refs missed I wasn't that upset. Let`s up they figure it out for the playoffs.
    Posted by BsLegion[/QUOTE]

Good point BS.  Their PP has been dreadful for quite some time.  There is an occasional flash of hope, like when Lucic hit the post. But most of the time they look lost out there.  It is at the point where i seriously question CJ's ability to turn the PP around.

No reason to be struggling on the PP: they got the big shot that teams crave(Chara), they got the puck mover that teams all covet(Kaberle), they have  hands with Krejci and Bergy, and shooters like Looch.  These are all quality pieces for the PP and there is no excuse for the lack of production.

CJ has had plenty of time to turn things around but has made no progress in quite some time.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrVmax. Show MrVmax's posts

The PP is very frustrating and hopefully they can turn it around for the playoffs, but for the meantime...can we turn down penalty's, we're better off five on five. (sarcasm)

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TimThomas-god. Show TimThomas-god's posts

I know I'm going to get criticized for saying this, but what the hell: Chara should not be on the powerplay. 

Oh yes, Chara has a "cannon of a shot", one that has netted him 7 goals on the PP.  However, more times than not, he is a liability on the Bruins' blueline.  Chara, as great as he is defensively, is not a skilled puckhandler.  And you really can't blame the guy, his stick is practically 7 feet long. 

There have been far too many occasions where Chara fumbles around for the puck, whether it be in his skates or along the boards.  He can't move the puck as well as Kaberle, Seidenberg (who I believe should be on the #1 unit), Kampfer, and even McQuaid at times. 

Chara's shot is one of the best in the league, but it hasn't solved any of the Bruins' powerplay woes.  That's because the B's are best on the PP when they're moving the puck around the offensive zone, the forwards trade places with the d-men on the blueline, etc.  Instead, whenever Chara is on the PP, they pass the puck around for a bit, then give it to Chara for one of his signature slapshots.  This strategy is way too predicatble, the opposing team knows what's coming each and every time.  This is exactly why Big Z should not be on the Bruins' struggling (to put it lightly) powerplay.   

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LUCICmilan17. Show LUCICmilan17's posts

In Response to Okay now let's discuss the "Powerplay":
    [QUOTE]In today's article: Tomas Kaberle manned the point on the No. 1 unit, joined by Zdeno Chara , Bergeron, Peverley, and Mark Recchi . Peverley and Bergeron alternated on the left boards. Finally they get it !  It's not only the quarterback that was needed but a winger with speed. Peverly might not be the best sniper but he can carry and pickup speed with the puck that'll make the other team backup.  Then Kaberle comes in to setup.  I hope it works. I'm guessing Bergeron will be up on the half wall ready to onetime and finally Recchi in front of the net . This might just work although Julien must stick with it and get chemistry going . He can't keep changing. Off topic a little but continuing on the chemistry issue, ask yourselves this;  What line has been kept together the most ?  Bergeron, Recchi and Marchand .  Isn't it best one ?  UPDATE: NO MATTER WHAT THEY DO IT`S POWERLESS ONE AFTER ANOTHER.  IT WORKS AGAINST THE BRUINS.
    Posted by BsLegion[/QUOTE]

We have a powerplay?

Not enough puck movement and players standing still and stagnent is the reason for the power play failures this season. They said early on on the radio tonight that the first part of the power play the puck movement looked very good but as often the case doesn't score. Wish he had a true sniper on one of the wings but most clubs wish for that as well.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from stingerjp. Show stingerjp's posts

TTG- i think Chara's hands and ability to stickhandle is one of his most underrated skills.  I don't think his hands are as bad as you claim.  I prefer him at the point but wouldn't mind seeing CJ place him around the net either just to mix things up.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Okay now let's discuss the "Powerplay" : We have a powerplay? Not enough puck movement and players standing still and stagnent is the reason for the power play failures this season. They said early on on the radio tonight that the first part of the power play the puck movement looked very good but as often the case doesn't score. Wish he had a true sniper on one of the wings but most clubs wish for that as well.
    Posted by LUCICmilan17[/QUOTE]

LUCIC - Good points, all.  As it stands, the Bruins don't have an offensive predator right now.  It may be Seguin someday.  Once in a while its Ryder but in my mind, the points about puck movement and stationary players is what is plaguing the team. 

I think of the PP exhibition the Wings laid on the Bruins in that two-game sweep weeks ago in which their puck/player movement left the Bruins spellbound. 

They had Daysiuk and Zetterberg to orchestrate it all but the constant motion of weaving and passing throughout middle of the B's defensive zone was a direct contrast to the old-school, largely ineffective perimeter play the Bruins currently employ. 

Clearly, the opposition appears to be having no problem defending against it and the Bruins appear to have no confidence in their odd-man strategy which seems to be predicated on perhaps getting a lucky bounce here and there. 

I hope Bruin brass lets Ward go in the summer for someone with more of a proven offensive heritage. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LUCICmilan17. Show LUCICmilan17's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Okay now let's discuss the "Powerplay" : LUCIC - Good points, all.  As it stands, the Bruins don't have an offensive predator right now.  It may be Seguin someday.  Once in a while its Ryder but in my mind, the points about puck movement and stationary players is what is plaguing the team.  I think of the PP exhibition the Wings laid on the Bruins in that two-game sweep weeks ago in which their puck/player movement left the Bruins spellbound.  They had Daysiuk and Zetterberg to orchestrate it all but the constant motion of weaving and passing throughout middle of the B's defensive zone was a direct contrast to the old-school, largely ineffective perimeter play the Bruins currently employ.  Clearly, the opposition appears to be having no problem defending against it and the Bruins appear to have no confidence in their odd-man strategy which seems to be predicated on perhaps getting a lucky bounce here and there.  I hope Bruin brass lets Ward go in the summer for someone with more of a proven offensive heritage. 
    Posted by RichHillOntario[/QUOTE]

Yea rich I was saying to my self durng watching those 2 games what a difference the wings powerplay looks like compared to ours. Looks like night and day compared to ours. Also when I have time to be home and not here working I watch the NHL center ice. Other teams seem to have excellent flow and movement to their powerplay compared to ours.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

//Up until tonight, our PP was actually a good defensive tact.  It kept the other team from scoring for 2 mins.// 

Sad but true, bro.  By the way, this latest hilarious comment of yours now makes it a 4 disc box set of "ipot's greatest hits." 

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Okay now let's discuss the "Powerplay" : Thanks, RHO, lol.  My frustration/sarcasm level -as you can tell - tends to peak in Feb/March every year.  I'm already fearing they'll mail it in against Toronto on Saturday and praying the New York Rangers take care of the Habs for us tomorrow. But, this PP needs to click, or we'll be looking at another head scratching, long offseason.
    Posted by ipot[/QUOTE]

ipot - I hear you.  I don't look forward to going down to the ACC on Saturday night only to watch the Bruins fumble around.  That's the thing.  Who knows how they'll play game-to-game?  They could just as easily shut down the home side.  What continues to puzzle me is Ward and Co. have had all season to make adjustments, modify the scheme and get it sorted. 

Okay.  Maybe they can't change things midstream but PP opportunities, both blown and cashed in, are huge now but amped in the playoffs.  I'd prefer an inept PP not be one extra element the opposition does not have to worry about when facing the B's. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Okay now let's discuss the "Powerplay" : Yea rich I was saying to my self durng watching those 2 games what a difference the wings powerplay looks like compared to ours. Looks like night and day compared to ours. Also when I have time to be home and not here working I watch the NHL center ice. Other teams seem to have excellent flow and movement to their powerplay compared to ours.
    Posted by LUCICmilan17[/QUOTE]
    Not only their PP but their puck control in general. I have noticed a lot of good teams hold the puck in the opposite for minutes on end while the B's... not so much.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Okay now let's discuss the "Powerplay" : Not only their PP but their puck control in general. I have noticed a lot of good teams hold the puck in the opposite for minutes on end while the B's... not so much.
    Posted by callodthedom19[/QUOTE]

Exactly, callo.  Very little or no sustained offensive pressure or threat with the extra man.  I think they spend more time going back to their own end to retrieve the puck after the oppostion has broken up one of their attempts than they do behind the other team's blueline.  I don't know how Ward can remedy it at this point of the season.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PAULICAS1975. Show PAULICAS1975's posts

The B's PP is so bad they couldnt score on a 5 on 3 or even a 5 on the goalie. These guys are AWFUL. They need ALOT more movement. They need to put a big body in front of that goalie. They need to stop just letting Chara shoot. The puck movement needs to be alot quicker too. Watch the B's PP and watch other teams PP and its so much faster paced. My High school team could beat them. (aka Hudson High School)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Speed is not all that important on the power play, skilled passing and creativity is the most important, as well as a good shooter.  Seguin has so far been a liability on the PP, giving pucks away, so that's why CJ doesn't put him out there.  I would like to see him get another shot.  But most of all they need to be less predictable overall.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

It really goes to show how great Savard was as a playmaker, especially on the power play.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

Glass half full or empty

All they are doing on the  pp is kaberle gets the puck feeds chara for a onetimer it is so predictiable one pass to the point over and over no down low movement what so ever. Move chara in front of the net as a screen just a couple times try something different the only one on the team that can screen the goalie is lucic the rest can not do it, second thing rask throwing up his stick well the d was napping but he also let in a soft goal to make it 2-1 so he is not blameless but was hung out to dry the rest of the night. the bruins still have 88 pts good for 3 rd seed but they end up playing montreal which is a bad match up for them

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Kaberle needs to be a shooter. No one respects that he'll blast one.

He constantly looks to pass, which is a major problem, because the D still continues to key on Chara for shots and everyone else for receiving a pass or setting up a play down low.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

This power play is so predictable and easy to defend. They may as well refuse the penalties.

Of the three they put on the umbrella, only Chara shoots. Zdeno's shot this year is not like it use to be - it has no eyes, just brute force.

Every shot from the point is blasted on net. What happened to the off-speed, tippable shot on goal or a shot intentionally wide that comes out the other side. Too predictable.

Why don't they work the back of the net? The little things they do 5 on 5, cycling etc, they don't do on the power play.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Yup. Predictability is a good word for it. I think that's what made Savard so special on that half board.

He was very creative with the puck, obviously. He'd draw one or two players toward him because of the fear he'd be able to artfully find someone in point blank range, and that would just allow for more opportunities.

I do find it fascinating that basically an all world duo at the point and good talent up front struggles this badly.

It's baffling.

Sections
Shortcuts