Oleksiak In The OHL

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Oleksiak In The OHL

6'7"-240 pound D-man Jamieson Oleksiak will leave Northeastern to play CHL hockey next season. Nothing against U.S. college but I believe the OHL will be far better for his development and it should also add some more toughness. It should be interesting to see what type of player Dallas ends up with when all is said and done.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Re: Oleksiak In The OHL

I wonder if any of that is tied to him being able to re enter the draft in 2 years if he is not signed with dallas..

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Bummer.  As a fan of Northeastern hockey, it is a shame to see them lose their most touted young player in a long time.  I looked forward to watching him in the Hockey East and the Beanpot next year.  As far as I know, Northeastern still hasn't hired a coach for next year, since Cronin left for the Leafs.  And given more games in the OHL, I really can't blame the kid.

On the other hand, I wish these kids would, in general, show more loyalty to the teams they choose to play for.  I hate the concept of these players re-evaluating each year what is the best situation for them, when the schools/teams make a committment to them by giving a scholarship, regardless of ongoing performance on the ice.  I suspect that Dallas' fingerprints are all over this move. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

In Response to Re: Oleksiak In The OHL:
    Bummer.  As a fan of Northeastern hockey, it is a shame to see them lose their most touted young player in a long time.  I looked forward to watching him in the Hockey East and the Beanpot next year.  As far as I know, Northeastern still hasn't hired a coach for next year, since Cronin left for the Leafs.  And given more games in the OHL, I really can't blame the kid. On the other hand, I wish these kids would, in general, show more loyalty to the teams they choose to play for.  I hate the concept of these players re-evaluating each year what is the best situation for them, when the schools/teams make a committment to them by giving a scholarship, regardless of ongoing performance on the ice.  I suspect that Dallas' fingerprints are all over this move. 
    Posted by Fletcher1

Yeah, I forgot the coach left, I would attribute that as being a big part of it.. He can't transfer schools with out sitting out a year, so even if he wanted more stability in the NCAA he couldn't do it with out losing a season..

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Bummer.  As a fan of Northeastern hockey, it is a shame to see them lose their most touted young player in a long time.  I looked forward to watching him in the Hockey East and the Beanpot next year.  As far as I know, Northeastern still hasn't hired a coach for next year, since Cronin left for the Leafs.  And given more games in the OHL, I really can't blame the kid. On the other hand, I wish these kids would, in general, show more loyalty to the teams they choose to play for.  I hate the concept of these players re-evaluating each year what is the best situation for them, when the schools/teams make a committment to them by giving a scholarship, regardless of ongoing performance on the ice.  I suspect that Dallas' fingerprints are all over this move. 
    Posted by Fletcher1

A bummer for you and good for me. Keep sending those U.S. kids our way ( OHL ) Fletch .

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonbruins69. Show bostonbruins69's posts

If you think you are going to make it to the NHL, the best place right now is probably the CHL.  It is the best developmental league for kids.  If there's a slim chance of making it big or you just want to show loyalty and gain some knowledge along the way, stay in the states and get an education.  That's one thing that can't be offered from the CHL.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

If you think you are going to make it to the NHL, the best place right now is probably the CHL.  It is the best developmental league for kids.  If there's a slim chance of making it big or you just want to show loyalty and gain some knowledge along the way, stay in the states and get an education.  That's one thing that can't be offered from the CHL.
    Posted by bostonbruins69

I agree if you a sure bet for the NHL.  Problem is with this thought process is that if you are good enough to make the NHL anyway what does it matter if you play US College. 
    No doubt the CHL puts out the best talent.  But if the top team in the CHL played the top team in US College.  The US College team would win in my humble opinion.
    Who is biting on this.  NAS my gloves are already off.  Bring it!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

I'd throw something else on the table too.. With kids at that age, I think there is far less of a "development" mentality in these situation.. High end talent is high end talent.. Half the time these kids are identified long before they play in the CHL, NCAA  etc..

Many of those guys are spending 1-2 years in college and juniors simply because their games are not ready, yes they are developing further, but thats natural, happens with age, strength and maturity..

Can anyone name a coach/system, that is pouring out top end talent from kids they really developed? Kids that weren't ona scouts radar, and honestly werent that good?  Most of the kids are really just looking for a playform to show there talent, and place to play while they mature..

Marchand didnn't develop in providence, as much as he learned to play a pro game.. If he did develop, then what the H happened to Hamill....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from matttt87. Show matttt87's posts

Posted by Fletcher1

Jim Madigan was hired as the NU coach, and let's face is - NU always chokes when it matters anyways, as a recent graduate I know the pain too well. Yet I still get sucked back in every season...

Go Huskies!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Oleksiak In The OHL : I agree if you a sure bet for the NHL.  Problem is with this thought process is that if you are good enough to make the NHL anyway what does it matter if you play US College.  No doubt the CHL puts out the best talent.  But if the top team in the CHL played the top team in US College.  The US College team would win in my humble opinion. Who is biting on this.  NAS my gloves are already off.  Bring it!
    Posted by shuperman

Shupe, for those players like Oleksiak who are pretty safe bets to make the NHL, I think the CHL is better for them. If only for the opportunity to play in an environment that more closely mirrors the NHL with scheduling,etc. NCAA is great hockey with some obviously good programs but I think the CHL is the better proving ground overall.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In Response to Re: Oleksiak In The OHL : Shupe, for those players like Oleksiak who are pretty safe bets to make the NHL, I think the CHL is better for them. If only for the opportunity to play in an environment that more closely mirrors the NHL with scheduling,etc. NCAA is great hockey with some obviously good programs but I think the CHL is the better proving ground overall.
    Posted by dezaruchi

I would counter argue that.  Maybe in the old NHL I would agree.  But the way the new NHL is going I think the college game is more similar.   Speed-skill.
    Plus I believe college level players are ready to play immediately over young snot nosed brats from the CHL.
    Overall I agree.  But my counter has merit

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In the OHL, you don't have to go to Women's Studies, History of South America, A&P, or any other class that won't help you play hockey.

And Shupe, yes, I think the top NCAA team would beat the top CHL team due to the age of the players and the number of quality players per team.  In the NCAA, no top player is going to UMass Amherst or University of Southern Maine.  They'll go to BC, BU and UMaine Orno.  There is a larger collection of talented players (in my 100% unchecked fact opinion) on a top NCAA team than on a top CHL team.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

In the OHL, you don't have to go to Women's Studies, History of South America, A&P, or any other class that won't help you play hockey. And Shupe, yes, I think the top NCAA team would beat the top CHL team due to the age of the players and the number of quality players per team.  In the NCAA, no top player is going to UMass Amherst or University of Southern Maine.  They'll go to BC, BU and UMaine Orno.  There is a larger collection of talented players (in my 100% unchecked fact opinion) on a top NCAA team than on a top CHL team.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

I don't think its a point of "larger collection of top talent".. I think your right in saying they would win based on age, more then anything.. I think your top end talent is typically playing juniors, though, that is starting to balance more.. But when your looking a team built around seniors, and guys having played a year of post grad first etc.. its a more complete, experienced team..

When top end talent plays in the NCAA it crushes though.. Kariyas 104pt rookie season, Drury, gionta, even Kobasew, superstars in their time there.. As were NHL misses, Mowers, Haydar and Krog.. etc etc..

Whose a better prospect, Vs whose a better player..

Marchand was a better rookie then Seguin, because of seasoning..

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonbruins69. Show bostonbruins69's posts

100% agree Shupe.  College players are definitely more NHL ready and are much more matured. And that's why, in my opinion, the CHL is better for kids. Not men.

In Response to Re: Oleksiak In The OHL : I would counter argue that.  Maybe in the old NHL I would agree.  But the way the new NHL is going I think the college game is more similar.   Speed-skill. Plus I believe college level players are ready to play immediately over young snot nosed brats from the CHL. Overall I agree.  But my counter has merit
    Posted by shuperman

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In the OHL, you don't have to go to Women's Studies, History of South America, A&P, or any other class that won't help you play hockey. And Shupe, yes, I think the top NCAA team would beat the top CHL team due to the age of the players and the number of quality players per team.  In the NCAA, no top player is going to UMass Amherst or University of Southern Maine.  They'll go to BC, BU and UMaine Orno.  There is a larger collection of talented players (in my 100% unchecked fact opinion) on a top NCAA team than on a top CHL team.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

No, they don't go to any classes and unless they are a sure bet for the NHL they end up bouncing in a bar the rest of their lives.  So maybe forcing a GPA for a free education upon these kids isnt a bad deal, all while playing hockey and being chased by puck bunnies. 

I would never force my little guy into any stream in regards to hockey but ask me the safer bet and the College route is the way to go. 

I agree with most of what you are saying and this is hockey talk- not school talk and the facts of life. 

Overall, yes the CHL produces the best talent based purely on volume.  But, some of the most complete and talented players are coming from the US College Ranks. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

100% agree Shupe.  College players are definitely more NHL ready and are much more matured. And that's why, in my opinion, the CHL is better for kids. Not men. In Response to Re: Oleksiak In The OHL :
    Posted by bostonbruins69

but the question is about development?  A guy who plays all 4 years comes to a team with 3 years of his entry deal left, a kid who plays 2 years of juniors, signs and then plays another year of juniors is still typically 1-2 years younger when they head to the AHL, if they play 1 season there and go pro are they any less or more developed? 

Was wheeler any better playing 4 years of college, then if he had played 3 years of junior and then a season in the ahl? going pro at the same age?

Which is why i was saying, I think the "development" aspect of it is neglidgable.. guys arent typically coming out of no where and turing into top pros because they played college, or they player juniors, most of that skill set is built at an even younger age..

Sections
Shortcuts