Olympic Chick Stick-n-Puck: Everything is Backwards

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Olympic Chick Stick-n-Puck: Everything is Backwards

In Men's hockey, a goal is sometimes called back despite no whistle, as the ref explains his "intent to blow".

In this game the girls play on the ice, a puck that goes in AFTER the whistle blows is allowed...even after video review.

"In the third period of Wednesday's round-robin game between the USA and Canada, a puck was trickling toward the American cage as it snuck behind goalie Jessie Vetter. The puck slightly disappeared from view for a second and that's where the confusion set in.

As the puck trickled toward the goal line, the referees blew the whistle. The question was if it blew before or after the puck eventually went in. Immediately the Canadians celebrated the score and the horn sounded in Sochi.

After the review, the referees called it a good goal, despite the fact that the puck seemed to be short of the goal line at the time of the whistle. Here's a look at where the puck was when the whistle blew."

They have to do away with this event all together.  If one team has won 18 straight games and only two teams have won the Gold, it's obviously not working.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Re: Olympic Chick Stick-n-Puck: Everything is Backwards

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

They have to do away with this event all together.  If one team has won 18 straight games and only two teams have won the Gold, it's obviously not working.

[/QUOTE]

You're just baiting Red.  Nothing of substance here.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

It was no goal.  But was a fun game to watch.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No, BHab, it's a joke.  It's such a joke they had to adjust the groups in an attempt to cut down on the blowouts. 

Read more here about the blowouts.

They IOC dumped baseball because most of the world doesn't play it or play it well.  How the heck is a two team sport still being played.  As a hockey fan, it's embarrassing.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]

No, BHab, it's a joke.  It's such a joke they had to adjust the groups in an attempt to cut down on the blowouts. 

They IOC dumped baseball because most of the world doesn't play it or play it well.  How the heck is a two team sport still being played.  As a hockey fan, it's embarrassing.

[/QUOTE]

They have every country show up for the summer games so losing baseball is no big deal.

Winter Olympics only have 6 countries show up and they are desperate to add events and attractions.  How quick did they add snowboarding?  When do you think you'll see skateboarding in the summer olympics?  Short track speed skating in for the winter, roller blading out for the summer.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

You're just baiting Red.  Nothing of substance here. [/QUOTE]

No not really IIHF refereeing is terrible and will stay terrible.

Shup is right though entertaining game and so will the gold medal game.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

They have every country show up for the summer games so losing baseball is no big deal.

Winter Olympics only have 6 countries show up and they are desperate to add events and attractions.  How quick did they add snowboarding?  When do you think you'll see skateboarding in the summer olympics?  Short track speed skating in for the winter, roller blading out for the summer.

[/QUOTE]

About 2,850 athletes from 89 countries. 

Only USA and Canada are any good at Chick Stick-n-Puck.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

It was a fun game to watch.  Pretty good hockey.

And Canada probably deserved that goal.

But, it's true, how do you just change the rules?  It reminds me of beer league here, where the ref kind of decides what works whether the whistle was blown or not.  I don't know how you ignore well known rules, on the Olympic stage, because the refs judgment of what should have happened trumps what actually did happen.  

I'll watch when they matchup again though.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It was a fun game to watch.  Pretty good hockey.

And Canada probably deserved that goal.

But, it's true, how do you just change the rules?  It reminds me of beer league here, where the ref kind of decides what works whether the whistle was blown or not.  I don't know how you ignore well known rules, on the Olympic stage, because the refs judgment of what should have happened trumps what actually did happen.  

I'll watch when they matchup again though.

[/QUOTE]

They should just play a best of 7 series.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

More legitimacy than the 40 different kinds of snowboarding that no one who isn't high as a kite can tell apart, and that the Shaun White has used to pad USA Winter Olympic medal counts for years.  If being high makes you better at something, it shouldn't be at the Olympics unless Kevin Nealon is commentating and it's the All-Drug Olympics.

My favorite part of the Winter Olympics is the stuff that takes you back to the classical Olympiad: sports that test the skills you need to live, thrive and survive in that world.  Like biathalon - here, go ski hundreds of kilometres for a chance to shoot something for dinner, then ski back.  If you miss - penalty lap is ski around until you find something else that's edible.  Or downhill - get down this snow and ice covered mountain because if you can't get out of this area and to a human settlement, you're probably dead.

Who's good at these events?  Norway.  Russia.  Denmark.  Sometimes Canada.  The occasional American from Alaska who lives among the Aleut.  These are the athletes who spend their time between events skinning reindeer, drinking vodka, and mocking other countries for excessively celebrating "sports" that are played while wearing sequins.  Looking at you, Team USA.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Sequin is a Canadian.

Suck it, Book.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]

Sequin is a Canadian.

Suck it, Book.

[/QUOTE]

Careful, we live in a glass house.

Kessel Wheeler and Maxi Pads are brittle and break easily.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

I agree.

Women's hockey still has come a long way. Wasn't it just in 2010 when the Swiss beat the US for a medal? 10yrs ago that was a million to 1 shot! NAS has slammed woman's hockey for yrs. So, it's not surprising he's found some way of bashing it again. Very simple solution for him is not to bother watching. Then he wouldn't know anything about it & there'd be nothing to moan about. I hate figure skating, but I'll watch a Canadian, or American if they're going for a gold medal, but I wouldn't come in here & bash the sport. I don't watch it enough to complain about anything.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

I hate figure skating, but I'll watch a Canadian, or American if they're going for a gold medal, but I wouldn't come in here & bash the sport. I don't watch it enough to complain about anything.

I'll watch women's figure skating if their outfits are revealing enough.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

[QUOTE]

I'll watch women's figure skating if their outfits are revealing enough.

[/QUOTE]

They're all 14, ya perv.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

[QUOTE]

Sequin is a Canadian.

Suck it, Book.

[/QUOTE]

Ya got me.  Frat boy has a Canadian Passport.

But your hockey team is still wearing sequins.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

More legitimacy than the 40 different kinds of snowboarding that no one who isn't high as a kite can tell apart, and that the Shaun White has used to pad USA Winter Olympic medal counts for years.  If being high makes you better at something, it shouldn't be at the Olympics unless Kevin Nealon is commentating and it's the All-Drug Olympics.

My favorite part of the Winter Olympics is the stuff that takes you back to the classical Olympiad: sports that test the skills you need to live, thrive and survive in that world.  Like biathalon - here, go ski hundreds of kilometres for a chance to shoot something for dinner, then ski back.  If you miss - penalty lap is ski around until you find something else that's edible.  Or downhill - get down this snow and ice covered mountain because if you can't get out of this area and to a human settlement, you're probably dead.

Who's good at these events?  Norway.  Russia.  Denmark.  Sometimes Canada.  The occasional American from Alaska who lives among the Aleut.  These are the athletes who spend their time between events skinning reindeer, drinking vodka, and mocking other countries for excessively celebrating "sports" that are played while wearing sequins.  Looking at you, Team USA.

[/QUOTE]

1. Shaun White has two Olympic medals.  Two.  One in 2006, one in 2010.  Unlike some some no-name Canadian (Cindy Klassen) in some no-name sport (skating in circles), who has three times as many medals to pad the totals.

2.  The best US alpine/downhill skiers and medal winners include the Mahre brothers (Washington), Billy Kidd (Vermont), Bill Johnson (California) Tommy Moe (Montana), Ted Ligety (Utah), Lindsey Vonn (Colorado), Julia Mancuso (Nevada) and Bode Miller (New Hampshire).

3. Sure, we'd all like to see more of this:

http://screen.yahoo.com/weekend-drug-olympics-000000571.html

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

give it time and the sport might develop into something. as of right now, it's basically like watching slightly better than average high school teams without checking allowed. And that's when it's USA Canada. When its Sweden and Japan it's like slightly below average JV teams that can't hit. I don't think it's worth watching now, but I think if you give it time it'll get somewhere. I got a kick out of Hillary Knight saying she wanted to play in the SEL though. Sweetheart that just isn't going to happen. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]

Women's hockey still has come a long way. Wasn't it just in 2010 when the Swiss beat the US for a medal? 10yrs ago that was a million to 1 shot! NAS has slammed woman's hockey for yrs. So, it's not surprising he's found some way of bashing it again. Very simple solution for him is not to bother watching. Then he wouldn't know anything about it & there'd be nothing to moan about. I hate figure skating, but I'll watch a Canadian, or American if they're going for a gold medal, but I wouldn't come in here & bash the sport. I don't watch it enough to complain about anything.

[/QUOTE]

Fawk you nite!

The whistle blew, the puck went in and video review confirmed the goal.

That's dumb and that's not hockey.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

USA vs Canada Women's Game in the Olympics is must see.  Another great game, even though the refs hosed the US.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

[QUOTE]

Fawk you nite!

The whistle blew, the puck went in and video review confirmed the goal.

That's dumb and that's not hockey.

[/QUOTE]

LOL! Gotcha...mmmwah! I couldn't believe they counted it.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from watchtower. Show watchtower's posts

[QUOTE]

In Men's hockey, a goal is sometimes called back despite no whistle, as the ref explains his "intent to blow".

In this game the girls play on the ice, a puck that goes in AFTER the whistle blows is allowed...even after video review.

"In the third period of Wednesday's round-robin game between the USA and Canada, a puck was trickling toward the American cage as it snuck behind goalie Jessie Vetter. The puck slightly disappeared from view for a second and that's where the confusion set in.

As the puck trickled toward the goal line, the referees blew the whistle. The question was if it blew before or after the puck eventually went in. Immediately the Canadians celebrated the score and the horn sounded in Sochi.

After the review, the referees called it a good goal, despite the fact that the puck seemed to be short of the goal line at the time of the whistle. Here's a look at where the puck was when the whistle blew."

[/QUOTE]

brett hull was in the crease

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to watchtower's comment:
    [QUOTE]

brett hull was in the crease

[/QUOTE]

He sure was, watch.  The NHL blew that one.  I'll never forget Gary Thorne's, "Wait a minute..." call.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to watchtower's comment:[QUOTE]

brett hull was in the crease  [/QUOTE]

Watch for the win!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Absolutely right.  When the only 2 teams that have any chance on the planet couldnt beat a mediocre boys high school team who's not allowed to check, calling this "Olympic" is silly.  Look at the sports that have been taken out of the Olympics- it happens when its not working.  Referring to "mens Olympic hockey" and "womens' Olympic hockey" in the same breath is a farce.

Hopefully womens' hockey can continue to improve, maybe even outside of North America, but for the most part its just not good hockey and has no business in the Olympics.