Olympic Chick Stick-n-Puck: Everything is Backwards

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Re: Olympic Chick Stick-n-Puck: Everything is Backwards

In response to watchtower's comment:

brett hull was in the crease

If I'm a Buffalo fan, I'd be a null level conspiracy theorist to this day.  

It's a good analogy actually.  In both cases there was a video review, with clear evidence, but the decision was made to simply to ignore the rules because a goal seemed appropriate.

PJ Axelson didn't get that call, after being in the exact same scenario as Hull (foot in crease, away from goalie, OT game winner).

I like having women's hockey in the Olympics although I'll admit to watching very little of it myself.  

Pretty big crowds for it, it's only going to get better, and as the father of two daughters who need all different kinds of heros and role models (not just pop stars), I endorse it fully.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beezfan4life. Show Beezfan4life's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

In Men's hockey, a goal is sometimes called back despite no whistle, as the ref explains his "intent to blow".

In this game the girls play on the ice, a puck that goes in AFTER the whistle blows is allowed...even after video review.

"In the third period of Wednesday's round-robin game between the USA and Canada, a puck was trickling toward the American cage as it snuck behind goalie Jessie Vetter. The puck slightly disappeared from view for a second and that's where the confusion set in.

As the puck trickled toward the goal line, the referees blew the whistle. The question was if it blew before or after the puck eventually went in. Immediately the Canadians celebrated the score and the horn sounded in Sochi.

After the review, the referees called it a good goal, despite the fact that the puck seemed to be short of the goal line at the time of the whistle. Here's a look at where the puck was when the whistle blew."

They have to do away with this event all together.  If one team has won 18 straight games and only two teams have won the Gold, it's obviously not working.

Dumb post , by your logic , lets do away with cross country skiing , because Norway dominates that sport..May as well do away with the 100 metre , because the Jamaican's and the U.S always win , certain countries excell at certain sports , in time, other countries will be more competitive in women's hockey .....it's going to take time.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I'm sorta where Fletch is without the daughters.  And I really think it's stupid not to have hitting in the women's game, so I'm not that far from NAS territory either.  If the argument for having the game in the Olympics is that women can play hockey at a high level (and let's keep in mind that there are different performance metrics by gender for almost every sport), then have them play hockey.  I think red's made that point; it's probably not the women who play who don't want women hitting in hockey.  It's probably some granny or cardigan wearing Victorian caricature who thinks any body contact between women is a fast track to the love that dare not speak its name.  On the Fletch side, though, there isn't the kind of pro infrastructure that now supports every men's team, so it's no wonder you don't have the population of women to draw from in every participating country.  Having this as an Olympic sport is huge in terms of a bar for women who play.  It's exposure on a stage that gets more girls into the game (which is also great for the NHL because it probably means more women who are fans for life, not just when the pink gear is trendy).

Am I going to watch Japan vs. France (see, I don't even really know who else qualified)?  Nope.  But maybe some French girl is watching and 15 years from now, France is a world superpower in nicotine and espresso powered women's hockey stars.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to Beezfan4life's comment:

it's going to take time.

A whole lot of precious time...

It's gonna take patience and time

to do it, to do it

to do it, to do it

right, child.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

i think women's hockey needs some sort of shtick to make it their own. Personally when I watch a women's game now, I watch about a minute of it, and say "god this is horrible," and change the channel. Look at softball compared to baseball, softaball is clearly the women's version of baseball, and is completely unique. Do something different with hockey. Make it 4 on 4 with no off sides to turn it into a total skating game. Make every game high scoring. Depending on the result, I might be able to get behind that. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

No.  Make it more like the men's game, not less.  Softball is goddawful unless I'm playing CF with a beer in hand.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:

i think women's hockey needs some sort of shtick to make it their own. Personally when I watch a women's game now, I watch about a minute of it, and say "god this is horrible," and change the channel. Look at softball compared to baseball, softaball is clearly the women's version of baseball, and is completely unique. Do something different with hockey. Make it 4 on 4 with no off sides to turn it into a total skating game. Make every game high scoring. Depending on the result, I might be able to get behind that. 

I don't think you need to gimmick it up, I just think you need some sincere interest in the teams or emotional attachment in the games.  If you don't have that, I don't think 4 on 4 will make a difference.

I think we're getting too hung up on the talent difference, instead of the competition itself.  Some of the best hockey (most entertaining) I've ever watched are college games, or even high school games.  None of them can hold a candle to the pros skillwise.  I bite my nails through little league baseball games when my nephew is playing.  I watch my alma maters with dogged enthusiasm, whether they would get killed by pro players or not.

That's the way some people watch women's international hockey.  Not to focus on how far they are from the men's game, but to enjoy the competition that they are in.  Young girls watch women's soccer in droves and the same is starting to happen with women's hockey.  

No offense of course, but if you only see a lousy version of men's hockey, that's your issue (even if you're right).  Many fans, and most female fans, do not watch it through that lens.

I mean, why watch youth/junior/college hockey, at any level, if you're just disappointed that the talent isn't in the same league as the pros? 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

In response to Beezfan4life's comment:

it's going to take time.

to do it, to do it

to do it, to do it

right, child.

Itunes!

Shuffle!

Volume!

Erase that clip from the mind or it will stay there for days!

Such an earworm.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

to do it, to do it

to do it, to do it

right, child.

Itunes!

Shuffle!

Volume!

Erase that clip from the mind or it will stay there for days!

Such an earworm.

One of the most repetitive songs ever.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:

I don't think you need to gimmick it up, I just think you need some sincere interest in the teams or emotional attachment in the games.  If you don't have that, I don't think 4 on 4 will make a difference.

I think we're getting too hung up on the talent difference, instead of the competition itself.  Some of the best hockey (most entertaining) I've ever watched are college games, or even high school games.  None of them can hold a candle to the pros skillwise.  I bite my nails through little league baseball games when my nephew is playing.  I watch my alma maters with dogged enthusiasm, whether they would get killed by pro players or not.

That's the way some people watch women's international hockey.  Not to focus on how far they are from the men's game, but to enjoy the competition that they are in.  Young girls watch women's soccer in droves and the same is starting to happen with women's hockey.  

No offense of course, but if you only see a lousy version of men's hockey, that's your issue (even if you're right).  Many fans, and most female fans, do not watch it through that lens.

I mean, why watch youth/junior/college hockey, at any level, if you're just disappointed that the talent isn't in the same league as the pros? 

junior and college is very very very good hockey. women's hockey isn't. my point is, don't try to make it men's hockey. make it it's own thing. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

And the second it kicks in, like, the very second someone says "it's gonna take time," I immediately picture that video with George just sitting there playing his guitar.  Not just an ear worm - a whole brain worm.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

And the second it kicks in, like, the very second someone says "it's gonna take time," I immediately picture that video with George just sitting there playing his guitar.  Not just an ear worm - a whole brain worm.

So with Loui you must be picturing George alot.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from hockeyhead22. Show hockeyhead22's posts

In Men's hockey, a goal is sometimes called back despite no whistle, as the ref explains his "intent to blow".

In this game the girls play on the ice, a puck that goes in AFTER the whistle blows is allowed...even after video review.

"In the third period of Wednesday's round-robin game between the USA and Canada, a puck was trickling toward the American cage as it snuck behind goalie Jessie Vetter. The puck slightly disappeared from view for a second and that's where the confusion set in.

As the puck trickled toward the goal line, the referees blew the whistle. The question was if it blew before or after the puck eventually went in. Immediately the Canadians celebrated the score and the horn sounded in Sochi.

After the review, the referees called it a good goal, despite the fact that the puck seemed to be short of the goal line at the time of the whistle. Here's a look at where the puck was when the whistle blew."

They have to do away with this event all together.  If one team has won 18 straight games and only two teams have won the Gold, it's obviously not working.

From IIHF Rule Book

No mention of when the whistle blew

Therefore call on the ice stands

Call on the ice was goal

Just sayin

330 - VIDEO GOAL JUDGE SYSTEM

a) Video Goal Judge System (VGJ) shall be applied only by at the request of the Referee

or the Video Goal Judge.

b) The following are the only situations subject to review by the Video Goal Judg

1. Puck crossing the goal line.

2. Puck in the net prior to the goal frame being displaced.

3. Puck in the net prior to or after the expiration of time at the end of a period.

4. Puck directed into the net by hand or kicked into the net.

5. Puck deflected into the net off a game official.

6. Puck struck with a high stick above the height of crossbar by an attacking

player prior to entering the net.

7. Establishing the correct time on the official clock, provided the game time is

visible on the Video Goal Judge’s monitor.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

So I ask why have a whistle if it means nothing?  Icing on the cake for Canadah!

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to hockeyhead22's comment:

From IIHF Rule Book

Call on the ice was goal

Just sayin

a) Video Goal Judge System (VGJ) shall be applied only by at the request of the Referee

or the Video Goal Judge.

b) The following are the only situations subject to review by the Video Goal Judg

3. Puck in the net prior to or after the expiration of time at the end of a period.

7. Establishing the correct time on the official clock, provided the game time is

All of this takes place while the game is in play.

A whistle stops the game.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from hockeyhead22. Show hockeyhead22's posts

In response to hockeyhead22's comment:

From IIHF Rule Book

Call on the ice was goal

Just sayin

or the Video Goal Judge.

All of this takes place while the game is in play.

A whistle stops the game.

True, but without video review being applied the call as to whether the puck was in the net before the whistle blew is in the hands of the on ice ref.

The whistle likely should not have been blown when it was, and the call that the puck entered the net first was also bad.

In this case two wrongs likely do make a right.

Unlikely to see those refs in the final though. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

The most important part of this thread is that it happened in the mostly-meaningless round robin.  I'm sure the US will use this a motivation - US against the world, Pinky!

The most important part of this thread is that it happened in the mostly-meaningless round robin.  I'm sure the US will use this a motivation - US against the world, Pinky!

The second most important part of this thread is scrolling quickly to the bottom to avoid seeing the words to that goddamn song.

ITUNES!  NOW!  PLAY ANYTHING!!!

• You have chosen to ignore posts from bgrif008. Show bgrif008's posts

I watched the Russia/Germany womens hockey game and while I admit its pretty bad, it could be better if they played on NHL ice. Olympic ice is ridiculous. Its way too big and pushes the play too far away from the goal and where all the action should be. If the women played on NHL ice, it would make the game look faster and better.....I dont watch any hockey for this reason. I despise the big ice and takes away from the play. It also makes inferior teams stand out more and look as bad as they are. Better teams will utilize the ice more to their advantage. The angles for cutting someone down become exaggerated and the lesser skating team is punished for it. When the olympics were played in Canada they played on NHL ice and it was sooooo much better. F the big ice. Its ridiculous and takes away from how hockey should be.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Ok let's take this point for point. 

First, that should not have been a goal. It shouldn't have been a whistle either, but it was, so no goal. The level of reffing on the international level still has a long way to go. Other than the CIAU and NCAA there's not really a place for women to cut their teeth as officials. That's why for a while I've said let top flight men ref the games until you can build a stronger pool of international women's refs.

As for the level of competition, it is getting better, though it is still dominated by two countries. However, to Book's point, France didn't qualify but one of the best keepers right now is French. The game is starting to get footholds in non-traditional markets. Japan just qualified on their own merits for the first time. But it's slow and it's taking time for it to grow and get more parity. But you know what took even more time to grow internationally and at the Olympics?

Men's hockey.

Canada completely dominated when the game entered the Olympics. They won 6 of the first seven golds, with their only silver coming at the hands of another team of Canadians who were stationed with the British Forces and therefore played for Great Britain. It took 36 years for a men's team without Canadians on it to win gold. This was a greater dominance than we currently see in women's hockey - at least there are two with a chance in that sport. Give it a few more years and you'll see Finland and a few others close the gap.

As for contact, I'm all for ditching the IIHF's rules. I play in a full contact league and I love it. If you don't follow the sport you may not realize that it always used to be contact. It wasn't a "cardigan wearing Victorian caricature" like Book suggests that changed it but rather the old boys club of the IIHF. When they took it internationally to the World Championships they had some backwards patriarchal ideas that women wouldn't like contact so to make it appeal world wide they took out the contact. Most of the folks I play with hate it and want it changed back to the way it used to be. Before it went full international some games were close to blood sport. The first golden age of the women's game was pre-war. Those games if you read up on the history would have made the Broad Street Bullies blush. Just vicious. So yeah, women can handle it, and someone needs to tell the IIHF to take a hike.

Also I don't think it needs a gimmic at all, and the sport just has to be appreciated for it what it is. However, do the smaller players, greater emphasis on pokechecking and slower pace, it ios a better game when played on NA ice size.

Equal up the rules with the men's side, improve the reffing and just let the game grow.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

"Equal up the rules with the men's side, improve the reffing and just let the game grow."

Respect to you

Everybody preachin the equality schtuff

until it's time to ...

Hit from the same tees

Use the same size basketball

Allow hitting

I could go on and on, but I'm sure I've already qualified for one of those nice trendy labels

• You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

In response to watchtower's comment:

brett hull was in the crease

If I'm a Buffalo fan, I'd be a null level conspiracy theorist to this day.  

It's a good analogy actually.  In both cases there was a video review, with clear evidence, but the decision was made to simply to ignore the rules because a goal seemed appropriate.

PJ Axelson didn't get that call, after being in the exact same scenario as Hull (foot in crease, away from goalie, OT game winner).

I like having women's hockey in the Olympics although I'll admit to watching very little of it myself.  

Pretty big crowds for it, it's only going to get better, and as the father of two daughters who need all different kinds of heros and role models (not just pop stars), I endorse it fully.

Was it Axelson, or Tim Taylor that had like his baby toe in the crease that time? You're talking about the Washington series game 5 in 98' right? Joe Juneau ended up scoring the winner followed by Bellows in game 6 in OT. The Bruins slayed so many dragons in 2011 didn't they?

In response to JWensink's comment:

"Equal up the rules with the men's side, improve the reffing and just let the game grow."

Respect to you

Everybody preachin the equality schtuff

until it's time to ...

Hit from the same tees

Use the same size basketball

Allow hitting

I could go on and on, but I'm sure I've already qualified for one of those nice trendy labels

A lot of the time J it's not the people pushing for equality who are bringing in those stupid rules, but an entrenched heirarchy with idiotic views. My league is likely the best in BC and we're not even recognized by Hockey Canada (I'm not even counted as a registered hockey player) because we don't play by the IIHF's stupid rules. And it's a pretty safe bet that it's not a female hockey player making that decision.

When I saw Red was the last comment, I took a breath and thought, "Oh boy.  I might be in trouble here."

And, of course, I am not.  That's because Red is awesome.  Unlike many, many others here and gone (Olsonic, PB37, Bookboy006), Red's contributions to this community are irreplacable.

When I saw Red was the last comment, I took a breath and thought, "Oh boy.  I might be in trouble here."

And, of course, I am not.  That's because Red is awesome.  Unlike many, many others here and gone (Olsonic, PB37, Bookboy006), Red's contributions to this community are irreplacable.

Heh, I thought the same thing when I saw you were the last post NAS. Thank you NAS.

• Sections
    Shortcuts