Olympic roster projected lineups

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

Re: Olympic roster projected lineups

In response to shuperman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I thought Ryan and Yandle were locks.  Very surprised.  

[/QUOTE]

Yandle , more so than Ryan for me Shupe ... I take him over Carlson, Orpik, Martin just to name a few... But I guess with these type of selections there is always going to be second guessing and surprises...Team Canada will have some shockers as well on Jan.7th.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Ryan is third in goals among Americans - definitely a surprise. And leaving your top two scoring leaders from the blueline at home seems an odd choice as well.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from suffolkowner. Show suffolkowner's posts

In response to red75's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ryan is third in goals among Americans - definitely a surprise. And leaving your top two scoring leaders from the blueline at home seems an odd choice as well.

[/QUOTE]

The same will undoubtably be true of Team Canada as well. Look up the top 12 pt scorers and top 12 goal scorers and see how many you think will be on the team

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to red75's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]
    Red, can Steen play for Canada?  He has dual.  

[/QUOTE]

No, he's already played for Sweden internationally and according to IIHF rules he's now committed to that team.

[/QUOTE]

What about Vanek? he has dual in USA.

Absolutely shocked about Yandle and Ryan. I would take Yandle over Orpik and it has nothing to do with what happened on Dec 7. Bobby Ryan is one of the better goal scorers and it's not like he's one dimensional. He won't win a Selke but he's had one year of a minus and it was his rookie year where he was minus -1.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

Scott Burnside has a great article on ESPN website as he followed Team USA from the beginning and was allowed access to all meetings... Here are some interesting comments on Ryan ...looks like he was never being considered....

"He's a sleepy skater..."

Poile asks for a show of hands: "Are guys nervous about Bobby Ryan?" A flurry of hands go up in the air.

"That's a lot of guys," Poile notes.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Also, I would have Erik or Jack Johnson over John Carlson. I like Carlson, but I just think the other two are a better fit. Who knows, I remember in 2010 people were calling out Burke, especially Roenick.

I absolutely hate hte jerseys as well. Look too much like the Czech ones. I perfer the ones htey wore last time and the ones USA is wearing at the WJC.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Puzzling.  If Big Buff and Yandle are considered too much of a defensive liability on the big ice, I would love to know how Cam Fowler makes the roster instead.  I'm not crazy about Paul Martin either, when you're leaving Buff, Yandle and both Johnsons at home.

Thought Pominville would make it too.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Top 5 USA born goal scorers this season:

Patrick Kane - 23

Phil Kessel - 20

Bobby Ryan -18

Max Pacioretty - 17

Jason Pominville - 17

Top 3 USA Born defensemen in overall points this season:

Dustin Byfuglien - 29

Kevin Shattenkirk - 28

Keith Yandle -27

I really hope that Poile and company know what they're doing.  I'm all for grit, but you can't just grit other teams to death in the Olympics.  They've gotta score and it seems like they are leaving a lot of their best scorers at home.  

Paul Martin and Cam Fowler over Keith Yandle seems preposterous to me.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Top 5 USA born goal scorers this season:

Patrick Kane - 23

Phil Kessel - 20

Bobby Ryan -18

Max Pacioretty - 17

Jason Pominville - 17

Top 3 USA Born defensemen in overall points this season:

Dustin Byfuglien - 29

Kevin Shattenkirk - 28

Keith Yandle -27

I really hope that Poile and company know what they're doing.  I'm all for grit, but you can't just grit other teams to death in the Olympics.  They've gotta score and it seems like they are leaving a lot of their best scorers at home.  

[/QUOTE]

Yandle is one of the best dmen in the world.  No way he shouldnt make.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

http://espn.go.com/olympics/hockey/story/_/id/10195703/how-us-hockey-team-bound-sochi-olympics-was-named

Burke pushed the most not to have Yandle and Ryan on the team. Actually mentions the US chances would go down if Yandle played. Poile seemed to me that he got pushed around during the meetings in Pebble Beach.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The only rationale I have heard is that Yandle isn't a strong enough defender.  

So, let's fill his spot with Cam Fowler.

In other news, the committee is replacing Hall Gill with Nathan Gerbe because they need more size...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The only rationale I have heard is that Yandle isn't a strong enough defender.  

So, let's fill his spot with Cam Fowler.

In other news, the committee is replacing Hall Gill with Nathan Gerbe because they need more size...

[/QUOTE]

Haha.  Yandle scores 2 with a helper last night.  Its almost as bad as not using gretzky in the shootout.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

Ryan fights back .... Good for him... I thought it was bush as well when they used direct quotes to demean this guys game....

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=440211

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

No way was Ryan going to be silent about Burke's Bull!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Zinga_zinga. Show Zinga_zinga's posts

JVR and Wheeler over Bobby Ryan is a huge mistake.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pucman. Show pucman's posts

Who,s the USA,s head coach?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to pucman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Bylsma.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pucman. Show pucman's posts

[/QUOTE]

Bylsma.

oh yeah

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from zamboni24. Show zamboni24's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Stamkos-Crosby-Giroux
    Tavares-Getzlaf-Perry
    Couture-Toews-Sharp
    Benn-Bergeron-Richards

Duchene or Staal (maybe both if StamPkos can't go)

Keith-Weber
    Bouwmeester-Pietrangelo
    Subban-Doughty

Vlasic

Harding
    Price
    Luongo

I can't pick Canada's team it's too dam hard! I made so many switches because I think I'm leaving someone out.

[/QUOTE]

Canada's defense looks "suspect".

And it would be great story but how many people would have said Harding had a chance to make Team Canada before the season started ?

Somehow, I'm thinking a few months of really good work isn't enough to get him on the team. 

[/QUOTE]

Not to mention -- just recently out of commission to have his medication regimen readjusted.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/team-usa-bobby-ryan-embarrassment-195917861--nhl.html?soc_src=mediacontentstory

Burke gets put on a tee and hammered out the ballpark!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickyHussle. Show RickyHussle's posts

I imagine Wheeler has matured alot since he left the B's.  Is he now considered a strong two way player?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Interesting reading those reports from the USA Today on the selection process. Johnson dropping like a stone, and Carlson finding his way in with Fowler over Yandle.  Shocked Ryan was  out with Wheeler in, but he's hot I suppose.  And Saad was right there at the end.

But I was most shocked at Jimmy Howard at #3 goalie. I was at the Winter Classic yesterday and the Wings' fans were pretty happy about the selection, but Ive watched basically all his games this year and he's been awful.  I dont know how some of the other US players made it on by playing well this year but Howard?  Yuccch.

Schneider was royally screwed, I think.  Not to mention Bishop.

Not much talk about the goalie choices, either.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

i don't know how you dont have Bishop as the 3rd goalie. Chances are, they'll never get to the third goalie, but if they do, wouldnt you want someone thats playing well right now. To me, thta has to be the mindset when picking the 3rd goalie.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Crazy level of detail in the Burnside piece. 

Really surprised that Yandle, Ryan and even Byfuglien aren't going. 

The article did little to help understand the "lock" status for Martin and Orpik or how Faulk made it other than being RH.

These guys are the "experts", but it does seem like they are being a little too cute by half.  Everyone knows Ryan isn't a pretty skater, surprised that type of stuff enters the discussion on a guy with 4 30-goal seasons.

Also interesting that Krug didn't get a sniff, despite his solid playoffs and great start to this year. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

If Ryan didnt make it becuase they question his skating what does that mean for Lucic?

Sections
Shortcuts