(One of the many reasons) Why I Hate Skating Clowns

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

(One of the many reasons) Why I Hate Skating Clowns

My position on the Skating Clowns is very clear.  They talk about it.  They square off.  They throw some punches.  One guy gets tired.  The other guy stops punching. They kiss each other on the cheek, say nice things and go collect money in the box.

I grew up watching guy fights because oh man, did they ever hate each other.  Pure, deep hate.  The idea of the fight was to really hurt the other guy.  Jersey over the head?  Swing quicker so you can get more in before he fixes it!  Guy goes down?  Crank him while he's vulneralbe!  No refs around to stop it?  Keep drilling that bastig because you hate him!  It's a fight, right?  So fight until you can't fight or he is out.

In goofing off on hockeyfights.com, I came across this example.  For all of your Shawn Thornton fans, I offer a perfect example of what a real hockey fight is supposed to be.  Before you watch, I want you to think about Thornton/Orr, when Clown Thornton asked the ref to stop the fight because Orr's jersey came up.

Now watch what a real hockey fight is all about:

http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/53434

God, I miss these days.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Re: (One of the many reasons) Why I Hate Skating Clowns

While I might not go quite as far, I do agree with the point.  The good guy code has gotten out of hand and I miss the fights that are real.  Nothing is more entertaining as a fan than genuine hatred in competition.  I can't fathom Byers or Miller holding up because John Kordic was at a disadvantage.

And, thanks for making me throw up seeing 'Fletcher' on a Habs jersey...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucdufour. Show lucdufour's posts

Thanks for the clip:  I love the announcer letting the audience know that you have a split screen view so you won't miss any of the fighting.  Good stuff.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

And it all went down before the puck dropped...to start the game.

Announcer:  Let 'em go!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Koharski did too!  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

They even let them get back up!  My how times have changed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Kordic was one tough mutha, so was ape face Lyle Odelein! It was such a relief after 88' not having to see the Shabs beat the Bruins and beat them up. Before that, in the early 80s, it was just heart breaking loss after loss.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

Just have to point this out, epic stache.

But yes I have to say this, I agree with NAS... UGH. As much as fighting is entertaining/exciting/good to get the team fired up there's no hate in the fights. Oh the team is slumping, send out the fighter and let em feed some guy a few rights to try and get 'em fired up.

Now for example when Seidenberg tee'ed off on Armstrong that was fantastic. Or the Stars game where Avery got his **** stuffed in by of all people Savard at the bottom of the pile. I love watching the highlights of that game.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

In Response to (One of the many reasons) Why I Hate Skating Clowns:
    [QUOTE]My position on the Skating Clowns is very clear.  They talk about it.  They square off.  They throw some punches.  One guy gets tired.  The other guy stops punching. They kiss each other on the cheek, say nice things and go collect money in the box. I grew up watching guy fights because oh man, did they ever hate each other.  Pure, deep hate.  The idea of the fight was to really hurt the other guy.  Jersey over the head?  Swing quicker so you can get more in before he fixes it!  Guy goes down?  Crank him while he's vulneralbe!  No refs around to stop it?  Keep drilling that bastig because you hate him!  It's a fight, right?  So fight until you can't fight or he is out. In goofing off on hockeyfights.com, I came across this example.  For all of your Shawn Thornton fans, I offer a perfect example of what a real hockey fight is supposed to be.  Before you watch, I want you to think about Thornton/Orr, when Clown Thornton asked the ref to stop the fight because Orr's jersey came up. Now watch what a real hockey fight is all about: http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/53434 God, I miss these days.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]
    This coming from a guy who has a man crush on Scott Hartnell who is one of  the biggest skating clowns in the league. This guy picks fights then either skates away or hides behind the ref. I do however agree about your point on the old time hockey fights- can't beat them !

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

But Bleacher Report says he's one of the Bruins most important players! 

They would be lost if they didn't have him to beat up Big Bad Barch, it's crucial to get him off the ice for 5 minutes.

...Sarcasm.

Imagine if the refs today would have let two players continue to fight while down on the ice, then get back up and start swinging again. Someone would probably end up with a "concussion". I like an emotional fight, but we rarely see them cause Shawn seems to be buddies with everyone he fights.

Lucic/Komisarek, Marchand/Subban, McQuaid/Torres, McQuaid/White, Seidenberg/Armstrong are the only good ones I can think of from this past season.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In Response to Re: (One of the many reasons) Why I Hate Skating Clowns:
    [QUOTE]In Response to (One of the many reasons) Why I Hate Skating Clowns : This coming from a guy who has a man crush on Scott Hartnell who is one of  the biggest skating clowns in the league. This guy picks fights then either skates away or hides behind the ref. I do however agree about your point on the old time hockey fights- can't beat them !
    Posted by jpBsSoxFan[/QUOTE]

Skating clowns don't score 37 goals a year.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]But Bleacher Report says he's one of the Bruins most important players!  They would be lost if they didn't have him to beat up Big Bad Barch, it's crucial to get him off the ice for 5 minutes. ...Sarcasm. Imagine if the refs today would have let two players continue to fight while down on the ice, then get back up and start swinging again. Someone would probably end up with a "concussion". I like an emotional fight, but we rarely see them cause Shawn seems to be buddies with everyone he fights. Lucic/Komisarek, Marchand/Subban, McQuaid/Torres, McQuaid/White, Seidenberg/Armstrong are the only good ones I can think of from this past season.
    Posted by Bisson1[/QUOTE]

And Marchand/Subban are buddies.  But I agree anyhow.  Any fights with Montreal and Vancouver (do they fight?) are usually good ones.  Even if the players don't hate each other, there is enough hatred between the teams and the fans to make the fights more real.

You know who else fights angry?  Horton.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

I agree I despise the staged fights. 

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: (One of the many reasons) Why I Hate Skating Clowns : And Marchand/Subban are buddies.  But I agree anyhow.  Any fights with Montreal and Vancouver (do they fight?) are usually good ones.  Even if the players don't hate each other, there is enough hatred between the teams and the fans to make the fights more real. You know who else fights angry?  Horton.
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

Campbell has gotten in some heated battles. He may be on the losing end of most of them but he's a willing scuffler.

Also, arranged fights for goons, I can't help but think it's like they are paying their union dues. But I love an arranged fight like the one we had this past year between Lucic/Gaustad. I knew it, you knew it, the fans knew it, the refs knew it (especially with the late change)...And Gaustad seemed to also know how he was going to get the tar beaten out of him, which he did. Those i don't have a problem with.

Also, thought Lucic pounding Kaleta this past year was nice as well. If the goons were out of the game, we would still have fights, however they would be more of the emotionally fueled ones then the arranged ones. Would you want to see Lucic and Iginla go at it or watch Thornton and Shelley dance around with the obligatory pat on the back after?

I see the goons role diminishing and wish the Bruins would beat the trend and put a guy like Sykora or Kotalik on the 4th line.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: (One of the many reasons) Why I Hate Skating Clowns : Skating clowns don't score 37 goals a year.
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]
    He is still a clown and a coward. Anyone can have a fluke season. He will never repeat that goal total. Happens all the time after they sign their big contract, they vanish off the face of the earth.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: (One of the many reasons) Why I Hate Skating Clowns : He is still a clown and a coward. Anyone can have a fluke season. He will never repeat that goal total. Happens all the time after they sign their big contract, they vanish off the face of the earth.

I'm not sure what your watching. he has 57 career fights in the NHL. Last year he had a career high 37 goals in the FINAL year of his contract. It was his second 30 goal season. He is an agitator, who scores, plays physical and will drop the gloves. You say he is a coward and a clown but if the were a Bruin what would you call him? I call him a very good player, who is very good at what he does. Thats why I hate him.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

Horton does fight angry, but this year I think it would be wise for him to keep the gloves on.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: (One of the many reasons) Why I Hate Skating Clowns : I'm not sure what your watching. he has 57 career fights in the NHL. Last year he had a career high 37 goals in the FINAL year of his contract. It was his second 30 goal season. He is an agitator, who scores, plays physical and will drop the gloves. You say he is a coward and a clown but if the were a Bruin what would you call him? I call him a very good player, who is very good at what he does. Thats why I hate him.
    You are probably right, if he was a Bruin I would probably love him. That being said, he has a reputation of taking on the lighter weights rather than the tough guys. I have seen him start many altercations and then just skate away when the other player is ready to drop the gloves. I guess I just hate the Flyers that much that Im not willing to give any of them credit. I also thought the same of Richards when he was with the Flyers.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: (One of the many reasons) Why I Hate Skating Clowns : You are probably right, if he was a Bruin I would probably love him. That being said, he has a reputation of taking on the lighter weights rather than the tough guys. I have seen him start many altercations and then just skate away when the other player is ready to drop the gloves. I guess I just hate the Flyers that much that Im not willing to give any of them credit. I also thought the same of Richards when he was with the Flyers.

Right Jp. Thats his game. He fights people like Avery and Phaneuf. Do you see Marchand dropping the gloves with enforcers? Like I said, hartnell is an agiitator, he's very good at it, i'm sure he gets numerous invitations to fight every game. Instead of fighting all the time, he racked up 37 goals. Advantage: Hartnell.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: (One of the many reasons) Why I Hate Skating Clowns : Campbell has gotten in some heated battles. He may be on the losing end of most of them but he's a willing scuffler. Also, arranged fights for goons, I can't help but think it's like they are paying their union dues. But I love an arranged fight like the one we had this past year between Lucic/Gaustad. I knew it, you knew it, the fans knew it, the refs knew it (especially with the late change)...And Gaustad seemed to also know how he was going to get the tar beaten out of him, which he did. Those i don't have a problem with. Also, thought Lucic pounding Kaleta this past year was nice as well. If the goons were out of the game, we would still have fights, however they would be more of the emotionally fueled ones then the arranged ones. Would you want to see Lucic and Iginla go at it or watch Thornton and Shelley dance around with the obligatory pat on the back after? I see the goons role diminishing and wish the Bruins would beat the trend and put a guy like Sykora or Kotalik on the 4th line.

Totally agree on the Gaustad fight.  It was staged, but it also had emotion behind it.  There was a reason for it, not just a random goon dance.

I wish all teams would drop the enforcer role, but it is hard to be one of the first to do it.  Many of us agree that Thornton isn't a very skilled player.  But if you have to watch a Jody Shelley type taking swipes at players after the whistle over and over and constantly trying to goad Lucic and Chara into a fight, you do appreciate having a more expendable guy to throw out there.  This is probably why the goons appreciate each other so much and have become friends -- they know that without each other none of them would have a job.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

I'm interested as to what Thornton do when the king of all goons John Scott goes after someone. He could make himself the sacrificial lamb. As fun as it would be to see Chara and Scott go I'd rather not see Chara take him on - but then again, how awesome would it be if Chara was able to knock him around.

If Scott, possibly the worst player in the NHL, can find away into the lineup against the B's I'm sure we're bound to see it once.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

I'm pretty excited for the Buffalo games this year now that Ott and Scott are in town tbh. Could make things interesting.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]I'm interested as to what Thornton do when the king of all goons John Scott goes after someone. He could make himself the sacrificial lamb. As fun as it would be to see Chara and Scott go I'd rather not see Chara take him on - but then again, how awesome would it be if Chara was able to knock him around. If Scott, possibly the worst player in the NHL, can find away into the lineup against the B's I'm sure we're bound to see it once.
    Posted by Bisson1[/QUOTE]

Like every other Skating Clown, Scott won't be going after anyone.  He'll chat up the other Clown and they'll arrange a good time to drop the gloves to put on their pitiful show.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to (One of the many reasons) Why I Hate Skating Clowns : This coming from a guy who has a man crush on Scott Hartnell who is one of  the biggest skating clowns in the league. This guy picks fights then either skates away or hides behind the ref. I do however agree about your point on the old time hockey fights- can't beat them !

I'm not sure how being a fan of a player translates into having a man crush, but it's probably the same logic that translates a two time 30 goal scorer with plenty of NHL fights into a clown who doesn't fight.

You're barking up the wrong tree here, bloke.