(One of the many reasons) Why I Hate Skating Clowns

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Re: (One of the many reasons) Why I Hate Skating Clowns

In Response to Re: (One of the many reasons) Why I Hate Skating Clowns:
    In Response to Re: (One of the many reasons) Why I Hate Skating Clowns : Do you think Boogaard was tougher than Scott ?
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

Lets put it this way.  I havent seen Scott lose.  I did see Boogieman lose.  And when someone calls you out in the media and says they would pound his face in if he touched his players like ST did to the Gazoo's...and Thornton gives him a "who is he" quick remark for a laugh(like ST is a star in the league)...he better throw down.  Scott went looking and ST did not want any piece of him.  So then Scott started yapping at Chara.  
    Buffalo is a much scarier team.  No more runing Miller.   

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

I'd like Thornton to be meaner and nastier all around.  I think he believes is role is only to respond to opponents chippy play and protect his teammates.  But if you're going to use a roster spot on him, I like to see him initiate some trouble too.  He should try to intimidate and irritate opponents instead of being such a gentlemen of 'the code'.  Snow the goalie, hit the star players, target the top two d-men of the opponent and pester them.  I thought Thornton was great in the Stanley Cup because he was asking Bieksa to fight on every shift, which really seemed to bother him and wear him down.  I don't have much respect for the role of the enforcer, but if you have one, you might as well get the most out of them. And if something like the Matt Cooke hit happens, he should be dragged from the rink by the police.
    Posted by Fletcher1

Dragged to safety by the police bc he has been stomped on by every Bruin in the lineup and the suits in the pressbox. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

In Response to Re: (One of the many reasons) Why I Hate Skating Clowns : Dragged to safety by the police bc he has been stomped on by every Bruin in the lineup and the suits in the pressbox. 
    Posted by shuperman

Great posts on this topic, shupe has outdone himself during this thread. Sore subject for me. It was the lowest point that I've ever seen as a bruin fan, and I've been watching since the Don Cherry years. And as much as CJ deserves credit for winning the cup...he deserved severe criticism for the way that was handeled. Discipline and two points my azz - every Penguin on the ice deserved punishmnet for that garbage. Cooke should have only been the starting point, Crosby and Malkin should have gotten destroyed. They still should.

Savard deserved better -

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: (One of the many reasons) Why I Hate Skating Clowns :  Scott went looking and ST did not want any piece of him.  So then Scott started yapping at Chara.  Posted by shuperman

I'm saying I don't believe you this didn't happen I just don't remember Thornton backing down from Scott. What year ?

I just couldn't see ST backing down from Scott while always accepting Boogaard is all...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In Response to Re: (One of the many reasons) Why I Hate Skating Clowns : Great posts on this topic, shupe has outdone himself during this thread. Sore subject for me. It was the lowest point that I've ever seen as a bruin fan, and I've been watching since the Don Cherry years. And as much as CJ deserves credit for winning the cup...he deserved severe criticism for the way that was handeled. Discipline and two points my azz - every Penguin on the ice deserved punishmnet for that garbage. Cooke should have only been the starting point, Crosby and Malkin should have gotten destroyed. They still should. Savard deserved better -
    Posted by JWensink

Im gonna pull a Costanza and leave while I'm on top.

That entire incident is still a very sore spot for me.  I know for many Bruins fans.  But ST said it was dealt with....who the heck is he to decide that. Cam tried to beat the pi$$ outta Ulf everytime they played.  He is a guy you hate and wanna pay back everytime they play.  If he says no.  You send ST over the boards and have him mess up Malkin and Sid.  Its like a guy who owes the mob money...don't pay and we want pictures of your wife and kid. 

I was disgusted with the Bruins lack of response considering that Bergie was hammered and nearly lost as well.  ST had a job to do but so did everyone wearing the jersey that night and even the coaches.  Whats the point of having ST though if he doesnt make someone pay that night...and every night after that. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In Response to Re: (One of the many reasons) Why I Hate Skating Clowns : I'm saying I don't believe you this didn't happen I just don't remember Thornton backing down from Scott. What year ? I just couldn't see ST backing down from Scott while always accepting Boogaard is all...
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

Last year.  It was the first time the played since they yacked in the media.  I thought for sure they would go.  Scott was yapping at him with no response and then Scott started yapping at Chara.  I believe it was an afternoon game against the Rangers for some reason

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

For me, during the time Savard laid on the ice, Shawn Thornton should have jumped over the boards and went after Cooke.  He would have gotten at least a 10 game suspension but it would have been worth it. I guarantee you any fines issued would not have come out of his pocket.

I think he is involved in too many pre-arranged fights but how many of the true heavyweights does he tangle with. I do know while he has been on this team we've seen Bitz take on Brashear and Chara go with Laraque. I'm not saying he has to fight every fight, but I dont want my best player fighting Laraque. Shouldnt happen.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

You know what else grinds my gears about ST.  The night Lucic fought and got thumped by Orr.  Where was ST?  The fact we played the leafs the following week at home would have made me think maybe he was waiting for that night.  Not that Lucic can't handle himself bc he obviously can.  But thats not the point.  Here our young gun slinger gets taken to school by a goon in the purest form and what does our gut do a week later?  Nothing.  You know who ended up fighting him?  Begin.  How does this happen? 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/hockey/blackhawks/8199231-419/hawks-john-scott-backs-away-from-feud-with-bruins-shawn-thornton.html

Not that I don't always look forward to Bruins-Sabre games but I will certainly watching to see what Scott does...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

I still hate Matt Cooke, but I honestly think that whomever it was that councilled him two summers ago should be giving Raffe Torres (Sorry Shupe) & any of the other idiots in the game a phone call, because Matt Cooke wasn't the Matte Cooke I was used to seeing. He still played his game, yapped, fought, agitated & only took 44 pims & not one hit that was even a borderline that I recall! I'm sorry that he took Savvy's career before he smartened up. However, I'm still in shock how he changed his ways. Guess a leopard can change his spots. 
    Posted by NeelyOrrBourque

Its Raffi.  And I dumped him for Souray...who I dumped for Datysuk. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: (One of the many reasons) Why I Hate Skating Clowns : Its Raffi.  And I dumped him for Souray...who I dumped for Datysuk. 
    Posted by shuperman

Not possible.  Datsyuk is way out of your league.

Maybe give Tim Connolly a call.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Oh and Nas since you didn't like the Jonathan & Bridgeman fight. How about these as a redeption? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6r24bUpHyo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ne1y0QCOQOM&feature=relmfu Loved in old days where if somebody on the ice started something....They had to finish it as well! 

Those are some good fights.  The Bouchard/Jonathan fight is legendary.  I'm a big Jonathan fan.  He was the first tough guy I saw as a kid.

The example from earlier was terrible.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

In Response to Re: (One of the many reasons) Why I Hate Skating Clowns : Phil Espo told me one time that he was told by Wayne Cashman that nobody on the Bruins wanted anything to do with Stanley either. He practiced as hard as he fought & sometimes he'd hurt people with a check in practice, or he'd hit someone with his stick. NOBODY on the B's would drop them with Jonathan. Now considering who they had on that team. That's says a ton right there! 

I got to meet Stan a few times as a teenager and he was a nice guy who always had time for fans. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: (One of the many reasons) Why I Hate Skating Clowns : Phil Espo told me one time that he was told by Wayne Cashman that nobody on the Bruins wanted anything to do with Stanley either. He practiced as hard as he fought & sometimes he'd hurt people with a check in practice, or he'd hit someone with his stick. NOBODY on the B's would drop them with Jonathan. Now considering who they had on that team. That's says a ton right there! 

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that this is a true story, that Espo did say this, but that it was more of a story than a factual account.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In Response to Re: (One of the many reasons) Why I Hate Skating Clowns : Not possible.  Datsyuk is way out of your league. Maybe give Tim Connolly a call.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

You are probably right.  Maybe Tim Brent is still available and running around wild...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In Response to Re: (One of the many reasons) Why I Hate Skating Clowns : You are probably right.  Maybe Tim Brent is still available and running around wild...
    Posted by shuperman

Careful, that guy is tough as nails.  He'd hurt you.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: (One of the many reasons) Why I Hate Skating Clowns : I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that this is a true story, that Espo did say this, but that it was more of a story than a factual account. Posted by Not-A-Shot

But everyone one here is supposed to belive that you hung out with Raycroft and Tkachuk. Guess we'll have to take your word for it I suppose.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: (One of the many reasons) Why I Hate Skating Clowns : But everyone one here is supposed to belive that you hung out with Raycroft and Tkachuk. Guess we'll have to take your word for it I suppose.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

Man, you are weird.

Do you commit every one of my posts to memory?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: (One of the many reasons) Why I Hate Skating Clowns : Why would Espo lie about something like that? On Satellite Radio I asked Phil, because he golfs with Wayne Cashman all the time. If he ever said anything about Stan Jonathan & that's what he said. I don't think Phil could dream up that "story" on the spot. 

I didn't suggest that he made it up on the spot.  I'm suggesting that it's probably more folklore than fact.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: (One of the many reasons) Why I Hate Skating Clowns : Most tough guys are that way. Probie was always awesome when I worked at the Calgary airport. He used to always ask me if I could spare a smoke! lol Awesome guy though. Met Al secord once & he wasn't a slouch in his day & he was good to meet.

Is "Probie" Bob Probert?

Did you ask him for some coke?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In Response to Re: (One of the many reasons) Why I Hate Skating Clowns : Is "Probie" Bob Probert? Did you ask him for some coke COLA ?
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

That is ^^^^^^

Nice fight Miller - Kordic,  that was one of his best.  Most of the fights I saw Kordic won.
    On that clip I laughed at Koharski reaction, he couldn't be bothered the fat PIG.  I don't see how Schoenfeld found him fat.

Different era that's for sure, before that instigator rule , hey ?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: (One of the many reasons) Why I Hate Skating Clowns : Well I'm suggesting that I never heard of Wayne Cashman or Espo getting caught in a lie, or spreading folklore tales so I'll say that's it fact until proven guilty otherwise.

And I never heard of Wayne Cashman being afraid to fight someone, so I guess we'll call this one a draw.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: (One of the many reasons) Why I Hate Skating Clowns : Phil Espo told me one time that he was told by Wayne Cashman that nobody on the Bruins wanted anything to do with Stanley either. He practiced as hard as he fought & sometimes he'd hurt people with a check in practice, or he'd hit someone with his stick. NOBODY on the B's would drop them with Jonathan. Now considering who they had on that team. That's says a ton right there! Posted by NeelyOrrBourque

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nqml4UsVVA4

Some no more Nite you proved your point. There is no reason to believe you made it up. You are not considered a hypocrite one BDC. Jonathan didn't chepashot anyone in the video above. I can clearly see Stan backing off two loser Flyers within minutes. However I'm supposed to believe Cashman might not have said "no one on the Bruins would mess with Jonathan back then".

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: (One of the many reasons) Why I Hate Skating Clowns :               http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nqml4UsVVA4 Some no more Nite you proved your point. There is no reason to believe you made it up. You are not considered a hypocrite one BDC. Jonathan didn't chepashot anyone in the video above. I can clearly see Stan backing off two loser Flyers within minutes. However I'm supposed to believe Cashman might not have said "no one on the Bruins would mess with Jonathan back then".
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

Oops.  Pay attention, SanDog.  No one said Nite made it up.

Once again (and this is happening quite often lately), you're backhanded attacks on me have you doing down for the count in shadow boxing.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In Response to Re: (One of the many reasons) Why I Hate Skating Clowns Different era that's for sure, before that instigator rule , hey ?
    Posted by BsLegion

BsL - Different era and mentality.  The fights in the OP displayed a refuse to lose to the enemy stance.  Those players looked like they'd rather have their arms fall off while they're punching than be beaten by the opposition.  Almost 25 years later there seems to be an etiquette or sense of humanity involved in some bouts. 

I found this article from the Hockey Hall Of Fame site's Legends of Hockey column with a spotlight on Red Wing Ted Lindsay to illustrate the thinking of players from a past time regarding the other team. "We never spoke to each other when we traveled," Lindsay begins. "We travelled by train. You never spoke to the other team. For example, if we were in Toronto, I might be walking down College Street (near the old Maple Leaf Gardens), walking from Yonge Street down to the Gardens, if a Toronto player came out of the building and if he saw me or I saw him, one of us would cross the street so we didn't have to acknowledge each other. That was a wonderful feeling we had and that's the right way to play hockey. That was our attitude.

Perhaps with players fraternizing with each other more freely off ice a sense of good-fellowship might have crept into the aspect of scraps.  Just a thought.

Sections
Shortcuts