One Small Change

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

One Small Change

If you could make one small change to how things are done in the NHL, what would it be?  I'm not talking about major rule changes, or anything regarding how the game is played, but just something small that drives you nuts.

For me, I would be thrilled if they would take the stupid microphones off the refs.  They usually don't work at all, and when they do, you can barely hear whatever the guy says anyway.  We're hockey fans.  We're smart.  We understand the hand signals.  Lose the mics.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Re: One Small Change

Is overtime too big?  I would do away with shootouts.

If that's too big, I would enforce diving penalties.  Not during the game, but that is too hard for a ref at full speed, but the league could review video and pick out the dives afterwards.  Then the player could be fined, suspended, and publicly shamed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

If that's too big, I would enforce diving penalties.  Not during the game, but that is too hard for a ref at full speed, but the league could review video and pick out the dives afterwards.  Then the player could be fined, suspended, and publicly shamed.

I love the delayed dive penalty.

It's like a red light camera.

Subban checks his mail after a road trip and there's $8,500 in fines for diving.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Everything Fletch just said works for me.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Sloped and angled turnbuckles on the stanchions in all rinks. I know Chara's hit is the most famous, but that hit happens all through out the season - changing the angle is a simple fix that is not a rule change and would prevent injury.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I'd love it if they could find a way to reverse the way "they always get the retaliation".  You'd have to have total video review, and it would have to work quickly - so probably a guy who watches the infraction as soon as the arm goes up and can call down to say to the ref "he shoved his glove down the guy's throat for spearing him in the cojos - here, look."  Then the greasy little pukes who make a living with little cheap shots to try to draw penalties would both be a liability - they'd put their own team on the penalty kill - but they'd also open themselves up to some sweet haymakers in retaliation with no consequences, or consequences at the ref's discretion.

Are you not entertained?!?!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

I agree 100%!!  Even with slo motion replay many dives would still be inconclusive. Where they do find that a guy dropped to the ice when the stick didn't even hit him, fine the guy big and the 2nd incident should be at least a 3 game suspension.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Not really a rule change, More of a trend of late. I hate how when a player throws a big clean hit, someone from the opposing has to challenge him to a fight. It's so stupid. Also, if play has stopped and the refs can intervene, and their hasnt been a fight, they'll call penalty it seems just to avoid something when it was clearly a big hit. I love the big clean hits, and if it's clean, play on.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

Not really a rule change, More of a trend of late. I hate how when a player throws a big clean hit, someone from the opposing has to challenge him to a fight. It's so stupid. Also, if play has stopped and the refs can intervene, and their hasnt been a fight, they'll call penalty it seems just to avoid something when it was clearly a big hit. I love the big clean hits, and if it's clean, play on.

I'm actually okay with this.  I don't think it's very new.  When a guy gets cranked, his teammates can't decide if it were legal or not.  Swing first, ask questions later.  Getting your butt kicked for cleaning out a guy legally is sort of hitter beware against tougher teams.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pucman. Show pucman's posts

you want small? this is probably real small to some,but erks the hell outa me.....why is it that pittsburgh has to put a spot light on the oppisition penalty box when the opponents in there? Really isnt this professional hockey?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

All hard shell elbow pads and shoulder pads gone. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Great suggestions, and I especially like pucman and stan's suggestions. The strobe on the goalie irks me, too.

My small change would be to schedule more home and home series in consecutive nights. I love those old school games in Buffalo on a Tuesday and Boston the next night. You get instant revenge games, or a 2-0 sweep gives huge momentum. Makes the wins more sweet and losses harder to take.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Automatic icing when the goalie is pulled

In the final w minutes of the game all icings are automatic.

When a team pulls their goalie in the last whatever left in the game, it's is still an advantage to ice the puck because it take time off the clock while waiting for the guys to touch up.  

This rule change would insure that a team isn't rewarded for icing the puck.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Stop doing that God forsaken "woo" after goals in Boston.

No spot lights on goalies after goals scored.

In short, attempt to bring a little big of dignity back to the game.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Put a stripe back on the Bruins pants and more white and gold highlights in the gloves.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Any fan who says "shoot" during a power play will be ejected from the rink immediately and with prejudice.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

BYOB

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

And legalized prostitution.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

Any fan who says "shoot" during a power play will be ejected from the rink immediately and with prejudice.

I like this.  I wish not to offend red, who is one of my favorites here, but this rule might lead to an even greater gender imbalance in the arena.

...which actually justifies Badhab's next suggestion...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc2. Show croc2's posts

No automatic delay of game penalty when a puck very accidently goes over the boards.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

yuuuup. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davinator. Show Davinator's posts

Between whistle interviews with the coaches...they don't devulge much insight.

Plus, they have bigger things to worry about during a game than Pierre Macguire(sp?) and Brian Engblom asking dumb questions.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

I hate when they switch camera angles during the play, especially the "behind the net on a powerplay" angle.  Different camera angles should be used for replays only.

***Follow Fluto on twitter.  He's awesome.***

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to hangnail's comment:

BYOB

Hang for the win!