Ones to watch

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

Ones to watch

Some thoughts on intriguing players in the new season while waiting for Marchy to ink either that 1 or 2 year deal. (He will be a Bruin this season.)

1. Tyler Seguin. Pretty obvious pick. I'm thinking Julien will no longer see any reason to keep him on a short leash. Could be a 20-25 goal breakout year w/many of them of the highlight reel variety. Love to see him on the 2nd line w/Bergy and Marchand, but also think he could thrive w/Peverly and Kelly.

2. Adam McQuaid. Could be the most underrated Bruin. Yeah, he's a stay-at-home guy, will never be a major offensive threat, but his hitting ability, smarts in his own zone, and intimidation factor are huge. He's still plenty young but having gone through the grind of a full Stanley Cup run has greater experience (under pressure, no less) than guys who've been in the league a lot longer. Also one of the toughest fighters around. I'm guessing by the end of next year he'll be one of the most sought-after D-men in the NHL.

3. Benoit Pouliot. Didn't like the signing, still don't, but admit there's little risk given the bargain rate of the contract. What I saw of him w/Mtl. did nothing to impress me at all (granted, he didn't get a ton of cie time.) Seems weak on the puck, shows little in the way of effort or speed, and doesn't look like either a pure goal-scorer or playmaker to me. Lots of people on this board seem to think he's a keeper, though, so I'm willing to wait and watch b4 calling him a bust.

4. Joe Corvo. Another signing I didn't care for, but admittedly only b/c I was disturbed about having to root for a guy who's acted like a total goon off the ice. He has shown some contrition as I understand it and I believe in 2nd chances, s, fine. His game is pretty good...decent shot from the point, can add some offense, and while I wasn't nearly as critical of Kaberle as most were, Corvo should be at least as good as Kaberle in terms of helping out the PP. But if he shows even a hint of being a miscreant away from the rink I'm off his bandwagon for good.

5.Tuukka Rask. I love Timmy. He's the BEST, Jerry, THE BEST! But at 38 I have a bad feeling he's going to have some injury/fatigue issues this year. And I believe in Tuukka...I think he's the next guy and hopefully for a good long time. I'd like to see him spell for TT a lot more than he did last year, if for no other reason than to keep TT fresh for the playoffs. I think the kid's the real deal, and I think Julien needs to let him prove it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Re: Ones to watch

25:32, 21:18, 22:55, 25:15, 26:39, 24:24 and 32:16 TOI for Corvo during each game against the Bruins for the 09' playoffs upset that is what Maurice thought of Joe and what Chiarelli thinks as well (plenty of scouting). The man likes to shoot the puck and with most Bruins Dmen taking an hour to let the puck go that's a good thing. Corvo does not take forever too put the puck accurately on net.

Pouliot will either be playing with Brandon Bo next season in the KHL looking for excuses or he capitalizes for a new contract. Having a big guy like Pouliot on the PP, if he earns it, just might help it's atrocious ineptness but if he gets beat out by Peverley, Caron or Sauve to ride with Bergeron and Marchand it could be a long season for Benoit.

I want Seguin centering the 3rd line where he can be a playmaker not overloading the top six as a winger. Peverley and Caron might have a say where Benoit plays he should try and find some chemistry early with Tyler very early.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

I'm interested to see what Benoit brings to the team. I hope that he can fulfill part of his potential. If he pots 20 and puts up 50 points I'll be satisfied.

I want to see Seguin build on his ECF performance. If he can have a hot streak like that and keep it going it would be great to see.

Any of the young guys from Providence and otherwise I'd like to see play some. Kampfer is one of the guys I would love to see make the squad, maybe give Boychuck a run for his spot.

Despite not being new to the team I plan on keeping eye on Bergeron. I think he is beginning to return to pre-concussion form. He was a BEAST in the SCF. I have no doubt that he will break 70 pts this season if he stays healthy. (regardless of the number I put down in the point prediction thread)

Krejci is another I'll be keeping an eye on to see if he can keep up with his playoff performance. I want to see him become a true playmaking number one center ala Savard.

I'd love to see Khubodin get a shot in the NHL for a few games, just to see what he's got. Many posters on here have said he's the next big thing or what have you and I would like to see some NHL performances back that up.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Actually this team is loaded with "ones to watch". Start with the entire Kreji/Horton/Lucic line; Then Seguin, where ever he plays; Then Pouliot, if he makes the team; then Boychuck- will he ever overcome his mistakes in the defensive zone?; Then, whoever replaces Thornton- too many "skilled" players vying for Thorny's spot, plus Harry's comment on "goons" indicates Thorny's limitations. Should be an interesting camp and season.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

I'm with bogie6. This team is loaded with ones to watch. For me, the entire top two forward lines. I'm looking for Seguin to be on one of them and Marchand to repeat last year's efforts (he gets signed soon).

I don't expect any surprises on defense, other than maybe Corvo helping improve the PP.

In goaltending, I'm looking for the obvious, TT not slowing down, and Rask improving upon last year.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Tuukka.  Contract year.  Third season in the NHL - one terrific as a league leader in key goaltending stats with a playoff victory over Miller, one extremely uneven where he looked, at times, like a guy who had lost his focus and wasn't playing his technique as well as he needs to to be successful (leaning/hunching out of his butterfly and so leaving extra space top shelf, for example).  He may not be the goalie of the present, but if he's to be the goalie of the future, I'm hoping he looks more like the guy who starred in a year when the Bruins couldn't buy a goal.

Marchand.  You know he's walking into this year with more confidence, but he also has a very difficult act to follow.  A prolonged slump, a string of bad penalties, and the glow will start to fade.  The biggest question is can he produce at a rate closer to his January/playoff pace all year long, or is he a truly a 30pt guy who has the ability to get hot for a few weeks here and there?

Peverley.  I'm not as high on this guy as others.  Last year, he freelanced a lot on offense, and I thought it had everything to do with his being a late season acquisition.  This year, there's no excuse.  Peverley's another who needs to produce more like he did in the playoffs for the full year.  Otherwise, I think you see him walk at the end of the year.

Lucic.  Since his first year, he's played better in the playoffs than the regular season.  Last year, he wasn't as bad as he looked in the playoffs, but then he looked like Wideman in a body cast.  Does he duplicate his 30 goal year?  And does his game continue to grow?

BoychukCorvo.  Two guys with plenty of physical attributes.  Boychuk as become the best hitter on the Bruins blueline - he steps up better than any of the others and lays consistently clean slobberknockers.  But.  His brain takes vacations.  The offensive dimension of his game hasn't translated from the AHL.  He needs to be better this year - contract year, second full year as an NHLer.  Those of you who only know Corvo from Carolina will find he's a got a lot in common with JB, only with him, it's that his emotions that take the driver's seat.  Guy loses confidence faster than the McCourts spend money.  Bruins cannot afford for both to go funky - unless the P-Bruin guys are ready for prime time.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

In Response to Re: Ones to watch:
    [QUOTE]Tuukka .  Contract year.  Third season in the NHL - one terrific as a league leader in key goaltending stats with a playoff victory over Miller, one extremely uneven where he looked, at times, like a guy who had lost his focus and wasn't playing his technique as well as he needs to to be successful (leaning/hunching out of his butterfly and so leaving extra space top shelf, for example).  He may not be the goalie of the present, but if he's to be the goalie of the future, I'm hoping he looks more like the guy who starred in a year when the Bruins couldn't buy a goal. Marchand .  You know he's walking into this year with more confidence, but he also has a very difficult act to follow.  A prolonged slump, a string of bad penalties, and the glow will start to fade.  The biggest question is can he produce at a rate closer to his January/playoff pace all year long, or is he a truly a 30pt guy who has the ability to get hot for a few weeks here and there? Peverley .  I'm not as high on this guy as others.  Last year, he freelanced a lot on offense, and I thought it had everything to do with his being a late season acquisition.  This year, there's no excuse.  Peverley's another who needs to produce more like he did in the playoffs for the full year.  Otherwise, I think you see him walk at the end of the year. Lucic .  Since his first year, he's played better in the playoffs than the regular season.  Last year, he wasn't as bad as he looked in the playoffs, but then he looked like Wideman in a body cast.  Does he duplicate his 30 goal year?  And does his game continue to grow? Boychuk .  Corvo .  Two guys with plenty of physical attributes.  Boychuk as become the best hitter on the Bruins blueline - he steps up better than any of the others and lays consistently clean slobberknockers.  But.  His brain takes vacations.  The offensive dimension of his game hasn't translated from the AHL.  He needs to be better this year - contract year, second full year as an NHLer.  Those of you who only know Corvo from Carolina will find he's a got a lot in common with JB, only with him, it's that his emotions that take the driver's seat.  Guy loses confidence faster than the McCourts spend money.  Bruins cannot afford for both to go funky - unless the P-Bruin guys are ready for prime time.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

Don't get carried away! This isn't a Chris Terarri situation. I think Rask will learn a lot from TT. He's learned that he has the ability to take a no. 1 spot from a Vezina winner the previous yr. He's also learned that a vet has a road that is less travelled & not the same amount of patience is given to him yet! I think this season Rask will show how much he's learned from Timmy without ANYBODY saying a word!! I think if there's ever a time for goalie to be in a "watch & learn" situation is this guy! Rask will be a Vezina winner before Price because of it!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Raffi Torres and R.  Regehr.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Great note on Corvo.  He is vastly underated. I think Caron may shine if given the chance.

[QUOTE]25:32, 21:18, 22:55, 25:15, 26:39, 24:24 and 32:16 TOI for Corvo during each game against the Bruins for the 09' playoffs upset that is what Maurice thought of Joe and what Chiarelli thinks as well (plenty of scouting). The man likes to shoot the puck and with most Bruins Dmen taking an hour to let the puck go that's a good thing. Corvo does not take forever too put the puck accurately on net. Pouliot will either be playing with Brandon Bo next season in the KHL looking for excuses or he capitalizes for a new contract. Having a big guy like Pouliot on the PP, if he earns it, just might help it's atrocious ineptness but if he gets beat out by Peverley, Caron or Sauve to ride with Bergeron and Marchand it could be a long season for Benoit. I want Seguin centering the 3rd line where he can be a playmaker not overloading the top six as a winger. Peverley and Caron might have a say where Benoit plays he should try and find some chemistry early with Tyler very early.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BorisTheGorilla. Show BorisTheGorilla's posts

The Bruins defence has an opening for someone to take charge of the PP.  A shooter from the point.  It was Johnny Boychuk's but he went back a step last year in terms of offensive numbers.  Corvo is the logical choice -- but maybe a young duck like Steve Kampfer or a rookie like Andrew Bodnarchuk-wagon will get a shot. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ronstar8. Show Ronstar8's posts

[QUOTE]The Bruins defence has an opening for someone to take charge of the PP.  A shooter from the point.  It was Johnny Boychuk's but he went back a step last year in terms of offensive numbers.  Corvo is the logical choice -- but maybe a young duck like Steve Kampfer or a rookie like Andrew Bodnarchuk-wagon will get a shot. 
    Posted by BorisTheGorilla[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure if you're serious or if you're being sarcastic when you mention Bodnarchuk!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]25:32, 21:18, 22:55, 25:15, 26:39, 24:24 and 32:16 TOI for Corvo during each game against the Bruins for the 09' playoffs upset that is what Maurice thought of Joe and what Chiarelli thinks as well (plenty of scouting). The man likes to shoot the puck and with most Bruins Dmen taking an hour to let the puck go that's a good thing. Corvo does not take forever too put the puck accurately on net. Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

I remember thinking that Corvo and Seidenberg absolutely killed us in the Carolina series in '09.  Their defensemen seemed like such better skaters and puck movers.  It's funny that both guys are on the B's now.  I think Corvo will have a good season and we can all get over whatever happened 10 years ago.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I though the Corvo move was a good one when he was traded for and still think it is a good one now. I think Joe wants to play a few more years in the league showing it this season would be a great time to start.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsIn4. Show BruinsIn4's posts

I'm gonna see how fast JVR is going to score 50 goals.  Can he beat Neely's 39 games?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chappy28. Show Chappy28's posts

[QUOTE]I'm gonna see how fast JVR is going to score 50 goals.  Can he beat Neely's 39 games?
    Posted by BruinsIn4[/QUOTE]

Was it 50 in 50, or 50 in 40?  Not sure, but I don't think anybody will take that record away from Neely.  That was pretty special to watch a guy who couldn't play back to back nights because of pain score goals almost every game he took the ice.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ones to watch : Was it 50 in 50, or 50 in 40?  Not sure, but I don't think anybody will take that record away from Neely.  That was pretty special to watch a guy who couldn't play back to back nights because of pain score goals almost every game he took the ice.
    Posted by Chappy28[/QUOTE]
    Gretzky scored 50 in 39 games.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Neely was 50 in 44, though you'll hear some - mostly Shab fans defending the purity of Richard's original achievement - complain that you count team games not player games because Richard only had a 50 game season.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsIn4. Show BruinsIn4's posts

Yeah, it was 50 in 44 (games played) - I don't know why I always think it was 39... I guess the older we get, the better our heroes become :)

..and my apologies, it was a bad JVR joke.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

Not being able to watch any of the camps I will have to gleen information from here and a blog or two, before preseason starts,  I really hope that someone from the Baby B's makes the big club.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

My list without complete commentary:

Beniot Pouliot...tis the season, or buy a house on Lake Memphremagog
    Stephan Kampfer...small defenseman abound in the farm system... next?
    David Krejci....number one center still in question
    Brad Marchand....I am so great I invented hockey
    Tyler Seguin....Skinner anyone?  Show your stuff bud the NHL has plenty of failures.  

honarable mention:  Joey Corvo....make me forget wanting Kaberle... please

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]My list without complete commentary: Beniot Pouliot...tis the season, or buy a house on Lake Memphremagog Stephan Kampfer...small defenseman abound in the farm system... next? David Krejci....number one center still in question Brad Marchand....I am so great I invented hockey Tyler Seguin....Skinner anyone?  Show your stuff bud the NHL has plenty of failures.   honarable mention:  Joey Corvo....make me forget wanting Kaberle... please
    Posted by islamorada[/QUOTE]

Isla , make me forget a lot of posters wanting him also. I watched enough ( too much ) of him in Toronto to not like him and question the thoughts of some posters getting woodies when he was acquired.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ones to watch : Isla , make me forget a lot of posters wanting him also. I watched enough ( too much ) of him in Toronto to not like him and question the thoughts of some posters getting woodies when he was acquired.
    Posted by Chowdahkid-[/QUOTE]

I have to admit I was one who wanted a PMD.  I was hoping at first it would Begosian.  The trades etc. lead to Kaberle.  He was a disaster.  I blame LRH for that. Ha.  Oddly enough I still feel the team is not set on defense.  It would be nice for a player like Begosian to land in a Bs uniform (ok pipe dream). Otherwise the inconsistent play comments will abound during the season on these boards, like last year I might add.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ones to watch : I have to admit I was one who wanted a PMD.  I was hoping at first it would Begosian.  The trades etc. lead to Kaberle.  He was a disaster.  I blame LRH for that. Ha.  Oddly enough I still feel the team is not set on defense.  It would be nice for a player like Begosian to land in a Bs uniform (ok pipe dream). Otherwise the inconsistent play comments will abound during the season on these boards, like last year I might add.  
    Posted by islamorada[/QUOTE]
    Bogo just signed a 2 year ext. in the Peg for Marchand-like money.

Sections
Shortcuts