Only negative and this time Thornton was wrong...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from saultont. Show saultont's posts

Re: Only negative and this time Thornton was wrong...

If he had scored I wonder what the rhetoric would be.....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Only negative and this time Thornton was wrong...:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Only negative and this time Thornton was wrong... : What is this "reputation call" stuff?  When was the last time Thornton got called for goalie interference? Say what you want about his limitations as a player, but the guy plays a pretty honest game and rarely picks up bad/reputation penalties.
    Posted by Crowls2424[/QUOTE]

Considering his overall lack of skill concerning all things hockey, you'd think he would get more tripping, interference, holding, and hooking calls.  I agree that he plays an honest game overall.

He gets few if not no rep calls because he rarely does anything to even raise an eyebrow...outside of the rough stuff.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

I think Thornton is very effective when he sticks to his role, getting pucks deep, playing physical and playing the enforcer role when necessary.  When he does that and the 4th lines chips in with some key goals here and there, Thornton is an asset to the Bruins.  When Thornton starts to think he is more than a 4th liner, stays out too long, doesn't get pucks deep and ends up on the ice tired with the puck in the Bruins end, he becomes a big liability.  

CJ tends to allow way more rope with veterans than he does with younger players and this is a problem when it comes to Thornton.  When Thornton strays from his role Julien needs to quickly send the message to Shawn about what his job is, by taking away some of his already limited ice time.  Of course as a Coach he can reward Thornton for playing his role well by giving him extra ice and allowing him more freedon to play offensively in games where the score is out of hand one way or another.  Even 4th liners want to show their skills and I get that and Thornton is not the 1st tough guy/role player to score a few goals and think maybe he can be more than a 4th liner.  Bottom line however, at this point of his career that is not happening. Therefore when he strays from his role and takes long shifts that takes ice away from the Bruins' best players, especially when the team is struggling, the Coach needs to do his job and put a stop to it. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]If he had scored I wonder what the rhetoric would be.....
    Posted by saultont[/QUOTE]
    People would've said,

"too bad that goal didn't count since Thornton ran the goalie over........oh damn, and a penalty to boot".

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]If he had scored I wonder what the rhetoric would be.....
    Posted by saultont[/QUOTE]

No need to wonder.  It didn't happen.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Only negative and this time Thornton was wrong... : What is this "reputation call" stuff?  When was the last time Thornton got called for goalie interference? Say what you want about his limitations as a player, but the guy plays a pretty honest game and rarely picks up bad/reputation penalties.

A player with skill driving to the net is trying to score.  A goon driving to the net is trying to run the goalie.  Not a stretch at all.  Most officials will see it that way.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Only negative and this time Thornton was wrong... : A player with skill driving to the net is trying to score.  A goon driving to the net is trying to run the goalie.  Not a stretch at all.  Most officials will see it that way.
    Posted by scooter244[/QUOTE]

Crazy statement, especially when considering Thornton's reputation for being an honest player. 

That goon Blake Wheeler used to pick-up goalie interference calls with a higher frequency that his teammates, remember?  And that was before goalies were treated as more fragile than your grandma's hummel collection.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Only negative and this time Thornton was wrong... : Considering his overall lack of skill concerning all things hockey, you'd think he would get more tripping, interference, holding, and hooking calls.  I agree that he plays an honest game overall. He gets few if not no rep calls because he rarely does anything to even raise an eyebrow...outside of the rough stuff.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

Huh ! Is this post giving a compliment towards Thornton ? A softer, kinder NAS giving kudos to #22 ? Who woulda thunk ? There's probably a snowball fight in hell today too.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Only negative and this time Thornton was wrong... : Crazy statement, especially when considering Thornton's reputation for being an honest player.  That goon Blake Wheeler used to pick-up goalie interference calls with a higher frequency that his teammates, remember?  And that was before goalies were treated as more fragile than your grandma's hummel collection.

I'm serious and I think sane.  If David Krejci does exactly what Thornton did there, it is not a penalty, he's pushed in. 
    Being an honest player has nothing to do with it.  Its style.  Thornton is an energy guy (I'm being kind).  He job is to get in the other teams kitchen.  That's how a ref see's it. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Only negative and this time Thornton was wrong... : I'm serious and I think sane.  If David Krejci does exactly what Thornton did there, it is not a penalty, he's pushed in.  Being an honest player has nothing to do with it.  Its style.  Thornton is an energy guy (I'm being kind).  He job is to get in the other teams kitchen.  That's how a ref see's it. 

That was Thornton's 1st goalie interference call of the year.  You know who leads the B's with 2?  Johnny Boychuk.  #22 has exactly the same number of these penalties as Marchand, Horton, Krejci, Ference, Paille and Pouliot.

NHL leader you ask?  Scott Hartnell with 7.  Foligno, Landeskog & Ryan Jones tied for 2nd with 5 each.

Who lead the NHL last year?  Corey Perry with 5.  2nd place went to Hartnell, Hornqvist, and Rick Nash; all with 4.

Thornton had exactly one of these calls last year as well.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Only negative and this time Thornton was wrong... : That was Thornton's 1st goalie interference call of the year.  You know who leads the B's with 2?  Johnny Boychuk.  #22 has exactly the same number of these penalties as Marchand, Horton, Krejci, Ference, Paille and Pouliot. NHL leader you ask?  Scott Hartnell with 7.  Foligno, Landeskog & Ryan Jones tied for 2nd with 5 each. Who lead the NHL last year?  Corey Perry with 5.  2nd place went to Hartnell, Hornqvist, and Rick Nash; all with 4. Thornton had exactly one of these calls last year as well.

Silly comparison.  How many times has Thornton drove to the net?  1.  He's batting 1000. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Only negative and this time Thornton was wrong... : Silly comparison.  How many times has Thornton drove to the net?  1.  He's batting 1000. 

Apologize for providing facts, your anecdotes are much better.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Only negative and this time Thornton was wrong... : Apologize for providing facts, your anecdotes are much better.
    LMAO! This is one of the funniest threads I've ever read on here! Great stuff. I agree with Legion & everybody knows I like Thorts. However, I think he should've jumped off with his linemates after a simple dump in.

I actually like the tenacity of going to the net hard. Keeps a reminder to the Flyers that they have guys that can & will crash the net as well as them.
    When I played competitive, or if I have a gentleman who tries this net crashing bull in a beer league game. I always timed it where I sprawled out, stacked my pads & kicked his feet out & he went flying over me. Got burned only once where the guy stopped dead & went around me. Dez you'll remember this name. Andrew Mckim! Baster'd got a hat trick on me & assisted on the other 2. He was Bantam age playing Midget! Really thought the B's picked up a gem in that draft! NO, not because he scored on me either. He was an elite player across the Maritimes at that time & was a so called can't miss!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauly1. Show pauly1's posts

Driving hard to the net in an attempt to generate offence. What was Thornton thinking??? How will they ever get out of there slump when we have players doing that? lol 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Only negative and this time Thornton was wrong... : A player with skill driving to the net is trying to score.  A goon driving to the net is trying to run the goalie.  Not a stretch at all.  Most officials will see it that way.

Thornton doesn't have the reputation you're referring to here.  Marchand does, but Thornton doesn't.  It is a stretch.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Only negative and this time Thornton was wrong... : Thornton doesn't have the reputation you're referring to here.  Marchand does, but Thornton doesn't.  It is a stretch.

Any enforcer has that reputation, by default.  Comes with the job I'm afraid.  Loveable Shawn is no exception. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Only negative and this time Thornton was wrong... : Any enforcer has that reputation, by default.  Comes with the job I'm afraid.  Loveable Shawn is no exception. 

I disagree.  The refs and linesmen know who the players are and their styles.  If Thornton was going to get rep calls, wouldn't have have more penalties?

You're just wrong on this one, Scooter.  It happens.

(Keep in mind:  I cannot stand Shawn Thornton as a hockey player.)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

The penatly is neither here nor there for me.  I thought it was a dumb play.  It happens half a dozen times a game that a guy, in the midst of a line change, sees an opporunity to drive at the end of the shift.  90% of the time, the guy makes the smart, unselfish choice.  5% of the time, nothing comes of it because the lane closes and the tired player dumps it deep.  4% of the time, the tired guy turns it over high and gives up a chance the other way.  1% of the time, if I'm being generous, it turns into a goal.

You don't want your goon thinking he's the 1%.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Only negative and this time Thornton was wrong... : I disagree.  The refs and linesmen know who the players are and their styles.  If Thornton was going to get rep calls, wouldn't have have more penalties? You're just wrong on this one, Scooter.  It happens. (Keep in mind:  I cannot stand Shawn Thornton as a hockey player.)

I don't think I am.  A ref makes a split second decision, see's a goon, calls the penalty.  He's see's a goal scorer, says it was good net drive and that he was pushed.  There was plenty of grey in that play. 
    This horse is officially dead.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Just to be fair, if you have been watching any other games around the league (I watch a lot), it's very clear the NHL has put the hammer down on forwards getting close to hitting the goalie.  Everyone is picking up very weak Goalie Interference calls these days.  The refs have marching orders, methinks.

This call shouldn't be a surprise to anyone, and it's not because ST has some sort of reputation.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

Thornton stays on the ice too long on almost every shift. It's either 1) he wants to give some of the guys some additional rest or 2) he doesn't play many minutes and wants to milk his ice time. 

Used to think it was 1, now I'm more 50/50. 

Stupid penalty but don't fault him for driving to the net. Right idea, wrong execution. 

Wish he loaded up on a slap shot, drove to the net, and got a whistle.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]The penatly is neither here nor there for me.  I thought it was a dumb play.  It happens half a dozen times a game that a guy, in the midst of a line change, sees an opporunity to drive at the end of the shift.  90% of the time, the guy makes the smart, unselfish choice.  5% of the time, nothing comes of it because the lane closes and the tired player dumps it deep.  4% of the time, the tired guy turns it over high and gives up a chance the other way.  1% of the time, if I'm being generous, it turns into a goal. You don't want your goon thinking he's the 1%.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOT]

This is exactly what I'm trying to say.  In a 2-1 game Thornton should not venture out into a low percentage play. That's all !
    He had to change .
    The penalty that's a whole other discussion.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

I like the play - seems more about puck possession than anything else. What drives me *batty* is the dump & change. I don't know why more teams don't value holding the puck in these cases.

Detroit is the gold standard. Nothing new we don't already know, but watch how many times they will hold in their own zone while the forwards change, or one guy takes the puck in deep on a suicide mission with the hope that new linemates can join him and get possession along the boards.

If Thornton had carried it in, gone to the corner, mucked things up, then Bergeron and Marchand come in fresh - it would have been the best available play. However, looks like he saw a lane to the net and took it. I have no problem with that. Better than just flipping it away and forcing Bergeron-Marchand-Seguin deal with an opposing rush at the start of their shift.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]I like the play - seems more about puck possession than anything else. What drives me *batty* is the dump & change. I don't know why more teams don't value holding the puck in these cases. Detroit is the gold standard. Nothing new we don't already know, but watch how many times they will hold in their own zone while the forwards change, or one guy takes the puck in deep on a suicide mission with the hope that new linemates can join him and get possession along the boards. If Thornton had carried it in, gone to the corner, mucked things up, then Bergeron and Marchand come in fresh - it would have been the best available play. However, looks like he saw a lane to the net and took it. I have no problem with that. Better than just flipping it away and forcing Bergeron-Marchand-Seguin deal with an opposing rush at the start of their shift.
    Posted by asmaha[/QUOTE]
    Your assuming the puck carrier is skilled enough to fend off the opposition until help arrives. Taking the puck to the corner and then losing it could make it so you have too many guys going in the wrong direction. Nothing wrong with a well placed dump in.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Only negative and this time Thornton was wrong... : Your assuming the puck carrier is skilled enough to fend off the opposition until help arrives. Taking the puck to the corner and then losing it could make it so you have too many guys going in the wrong direction. Nothing wrong with a well placed dump in.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

I'm assuming that my grandmother has a better chance of maintaining possession (1%) than handing the puck over to the other team voluntarily (0%).

He's still an NHL player. He can physically carry the puck in and do a short-dump and chance after he's crossed the line. Lob to the corner and fight along the boards (which he's not bad at, especially when you have to force the D to turn in such a short space).

Sections
Shortcuts