Only negative and this time Thornton was wrong...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Only negative and this time Thornton was wrong...

A guy like Thornton should be a little more intelligent, I mean I've seen this too many times this season.  Let me explain ,  his line is on and they're tired,  they ice the puck and of course Laviolette puts his no1 line against Campbell's line.  Bruins win the faceoff, start out of their own zone , the rest of the line goes for the linechange, they're gassed but Thornton,  instead of dumping it in like a good 4th liner tries to go all the way as if he's Eric Staal ? ! ?
    Big mistake,  Staal probably doesn't get an interference call but we all knew Thornton would get it.
    Guess who was on the ice when Thornton decided to go to the net?  Bergeron and Marchand.  Guess who's missing ? SEGUIN !
    Thornton has done this one too many times.  He should stick to his job and why he's on the 4th line. The other guys on his line got it.
    Didn't cost the Bruins a goal, the game but it was wrong !

P.S. I'm not jumping on the attack Thornton bandwagon . Just see it as it is.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beezfan4life. Show Beezfan4life's posts

Re: Only negative and this time Thornton was wrong...

In response to "Only negative and this time Thornton was wrong...":
    A guy like Thornton should be a little more intelligent, I mean I've seen this too many times this season.  Let me explain ,  his line is on and they're tired,  they ice the puck and of course Laviolette puts his no1 line against Campbell's line.  Bruins win the faceoff, start out of their own zone , the rest of the line goes for the linechange, they're gassed but Thornton,  instead of dumping it in like a good 4th liner tries to go all the way as if he's Eric Staal ? ! ? Big mistake,  Staal probably doesn't get an interference call but we all knew Thornton would get it. Guess who was on the ice when Thornton decided to go to the net?  Bergeron and Marchand.  Guess who's missing ? SEGUIN ! Thornton has done this one too many times.  He should stick to his job and why he's on the 4th line. The other guys on his line got it. Didn't cost the Bruins a goal, the game but it was wrong ! P.S. I'm not jumping on the attack Thornton bandwagon . Just see it as it is. Posted by BsLegion
    I've noticed this too..in fact quite a few have mentioned this also...which begs the question, why haven't the coaching staff noticed this. Thorton taking away the kids ice time, its ph ucking wrong.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

That's been one of the things I've actively disliked about Thornton.  Generally, I'm pretty neutral about him.  I don't mind him as a fourth liner - he is not, as Fluto recently blogged, second to Bergeron in on-ice awareness, but he is capable of doing more than executing the dump and chase.  When the 4th line is going, their ability to cycle the puck is valuable - more valuable that those 4th lines that do simply look to run around and create havoc.  I don't mind him as a goon because he is a more intelligent goon than some who are a sure minor against if not a goal against whenever they put a skate on the ice.  If anything he's too thinky to be that wild, furious vengeance they need from time to time.  Perfect for the staged fight game in the regular season, if you're going to play that game.  When he did seem to be on the verge of losing it in the playoffs last year, though, he was much more effective.

But man...his sense of when to change....  You can almost see the thought balloon with "I'm A HOCKEY PLAYER!" materialize over his head as he decides to try and take advantage of the fact that everyone who has ever seen a hockey game expects him to change.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

Actually seems to happen to Thornton quite a bit when he si on the ice for a much longer time than his shift should allow.

Considering he usually gets the least amount of icetime on the team I do not begrudge him trying to milk every extra second out there......

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Did he really think the ref would believe that he was pushed into the goalie?? At the same time, I usually rate Thorny as the most inneffective participant, but today he had lots of company , like Lucic, Seids, Marchand, Pouliot, Rolston[ but he is aging].Enough worked hard for the eventual two points. no bets on Bryz missing all three; suprised that timmy missed two, he's usually better.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Good net drive and scoring chance, much better than a dump.  The call was unfortunate, he gets a shove from behind and does everything he can to avoid the goalie. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

Yeah I'm tired of Thornton extending his shifts... just get off the ice.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

Looks like PC approves. Thornton just re-signed with a handsome raise.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

coach?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In Response to Re: Only negative and this time Thornton was wrong...:
    Good net drive and scoring chance, much better than a dump.  The call was unfortunate, he gets a shove from behind and does everything he can to avoid the goalie. 
    Posted by Crowls2424

Yes fine kudos for trying to score but he's tired on a very long shift after an icing he cannot be reckless like that.
    How many times will he out skate a NHL defenseman ?  How many times has he done that and cut to the net like that ? 
    He got lucky and could have caused the Flyers to score on the PP.  It worked out  fine.
    My point is he does not come off the ice and usually is the last to get off on his line.  This time he inhibited Seguin from getting on.

Books brought up a good point.  In this recent slump something that has bothered me is how the Bruins cannot stay long enough in the offensive zone as they did when they were flying high .  The cycle, forecheck aand that good pressure upto 30secs-1min, the best line was Lucic-Horton and Krejci . The best during this losing stunt is the 4th line. God bless them.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

coach?
    Posted by 86redsox

who me ?  nah...... they got a better one behind the bench.
    I'm not trying sound like a coach is that's what you're insinuating.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from zamboni24. Show zamboni24's posts

Posted by Crowls2424

That call had me screaming. If that's someone like Malkin or Datsyuk on that play -- They would be applauded for their strong play to the net and the defensive player would have been penalized for interference.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In Response to Re: Only negative and this time Thornton was wrong... : That call had me screaming. If that's someone like Malkin or Datsyuk on that play -- They would be applauded for their strong play to the net and the defensive player would have been penalized for interference.
    Posted by zamboni24

I don't have an issue with Thornton on the penalty. It was his low percentage play instead of changing that ticked me off.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Posted by Crowls2424

Good net drives end usually end in goals, not penalties.

Bad net drive.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I've been talking about this for years here, and have been getting my throat cut for it. 

Listen, the guy is a joke. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

In Response to Re: Only negative and this time Thornton was wrong... : Good net drives end usually end in goals, not penalties. Bad net drive.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Instead of dumping the puck in, the guy make a high percentage play skating up the rw boards, turns the d-man and creates a scoring opportunity. 

Good net drives usually end in goals?  Have you been watching this team over the past 2-months?  If that was Paille, you would give him credit for a nice play and a bad call, but since it's #22, it just becomes more cannon fodder.

Plenty to complain about in Thornton's game, just don't think this was a bad play.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Only negative and this time Thornton was wrong... : Instead of dumping the puck in, the guy make a high percentage play skating up the rw boards, turns the d-man and creates a scoring opportunity.  Good net drives usually end in goals?  Have you been watching this team over the past 2-months?  If that was Paille, you would give him credit for a nice play and a bad call, but since it's #22, it just becomes more cannon fodder. Plenty to complain about in Thornton's game, just don't think this was a bad play.
    Posted by Crowls2424

Paille or anyone else would have cut in earlier to avoid ramming the goalie and getting a penalty.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

In Response to Re: Only negative and this time Thornton was wrong... : Paille or anyone else would have cut in earlier to avoid ramming the goalie and getting a penalty.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Ram the goalie?  Did you even see the play?  Pretty aggressive description on your part for some light contact.

This is the type of post you make when you simply hate a player so much that you cease to have an ounce of objectivity. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Only negative and this time Thornton was wrong... : Ram the goalie?  Did you even see the play?  Pretty aggressive description on your part for some light contact. This is the type of post you make when you simply hate a player so much that you cease to have an ounce of objectivity. 
    Posted by Crowls2424

Of course I saw the play.

At the bar.

On St. Patrick's Day.

I'll watch it again later and get back to you.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

In Response to Re: Only negative and this time Thornton was wrong... : Of course I saw the play. At the bar. On St. Patrick's Day. I'll watch it again later and get back to you.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Any chance you had one strawberry daiquiri too many to effectively remember the play?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In Response to Re: Only negative and this time Thornton was wrong... : Any chance you had one strawberry daiquiri too many to effectively remember the play?
    Posted by Crowls2424

You guys are too funny !! 

Crowls, I understand you want to give props to Thornton for effort, fine I agree but when you're winning,  and the system Julien plays of rolling 4 lines , Thornton's job is to put the puck into the corner and change.

Nas, Paille is a responsible player and more often than not he would dump it in since he was tired and the 4th line had to get off the ice.

I have to side with NAS on this one.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

In Response to Re: Only negative and this time Thornton was wrong... : You guys are too funny !!  Crowls, I understand you want to give props to Thornton for effort, fine I agree but when you're winning,  and the system Julien plays of rolling 4 lines , Thornton's job is to put the puck into the corner and change. Nas, Paille is a responsible player and more often than not he would dump it in since he was tired and the 4th line had to get off the ice. I have to side with NAS on this one.
    Posted by BsLegion

Of course you would.  You created a negative Thornton thread and NAS smelled the blood in the water, so he seized the opportunity to post his usual anti-#22 rhetoric.

The guy made a positive play, and this is thing you choose to bang on him for?  He makes plenty of poor plays that are worthy of feedback.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

In Response to Re: Only negative and this time Thornton was wrong... : You guys are too funny !!  Crowls, I understand you want to give props to Thornton for effort, fine I agree but when you're winning,  and the system Julien plays of rolling 4 lines , Thornton's job is to put the puck into the corner and change. Nas, Paille is a responsible player and more often than not he would dump it in since he was tired and the 4th line had to get off the ice. I have to side with NAS on this one.
    Posted by BsLegion

Bingo.  Especially one on three.  If he had somebody driving to the net then maybe something would bounce in off a leg or a juicy rebound would result.  It was an extremely low percentage play.  Poor choice.  Also, he is not going to get any benefit of doubt.  Shawn Thornton brushes a goalie it's going to be called and he should know that as well. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from number08. Show number08's posts

Should end up around $4 million for 'best 4th line in hockey'  -not bad at all.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

In Response to Re: Only negative and this time Thornton was wrong... : Bingo.  Especially one on three.  If he had somebody driving to the net then maybe something would bounce in off a leg or a juicy rebound would result.  It was an extremely low percentage play.  Poor choice.  Also, he is not going to get any benefit of doubt.  Shawn Thornton brushes a goalie it's going to be called and he should know that as well. 
    Posted by scooter244

What is this "reputation call" stuff?  When was the last time Thornton got called for goalie interference?

Say what you want about his limitations as a player, but the guy plays a pretty honest game and rarely picks up bad/reputation penalties.

Sections
Shortcuts