Opening Day lineups

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Re: Opening Day lineups

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

That's what worries me, manny.  Need implies they expect him to fill that need, and he might not be ready for that yet.  I think you're right, though - he stays with Boston even if he doesn't play every night, and even though it burns an entry level contract year.

To clarify my earlier post, I wasn't exactly fantasizing about Paille on the 3rd line.  I just see that as CJ's most likely move from what we know of him.  The only Providence guys he's familiar with are Caron, MacDermid, and Whitfield.  If the org. has soured on Caron after his lackluster AHL performance, then the other two are 4th liners and he won't trust any of the unproven guys on another line.  If they agree with the idea that you want to keep the 4th line together, then Spooner wouldn't be a terrible fit.  He'll have to earn it, though - they might feel Bourque or Tardif have done more to earn it, and they might prefer to keep Spooner playing a more offensive role.  Of course, a line of Kelly, Peverley and Spooner would be a sort of offensive line in its own right - moreso than a traditional "shutdown" line.

Too bad they didn't re-sign Zach Hamill.

[/QUOTE]

This is where the b's will regret trading Joe "The Beast" Colborne. ;p

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

Bring back Jumbo Joe Jr!

Sarcasm to be noted.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Exactly!  Oh!  You know who they should have kept?  Mikko Lehtonen!  That guy would have ripped it up on the 3rd line.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]

That's what worries me, manny.  Need implies they expect him to fill that need, and he might not be ready for that yet.  I think you're right, though - he stays with Boston even if he doesn't play every night, and even though it burns an entry level contract year.

[/QUOTE]

I'm thinking more along the lines that Hamilton might excel where Team Canada failed to make an imprint with their d-men but mostly or only on the PP.  You mentioned this also after the U.S. game where we saw Hamilton free ready to onetime the puck , off the side wall and back door , the puck never got to him or his teammates were trying to do too much themselves, saw a lot of individualism.  Maybe an NHLer (i.e. Bergeron, Seguin , Krejci etc..) gets him the puck on the PP . 

Also as you mentioned Julien will make sure 5 on 5 he's kept in check, this is where we'll see how he handles the pressure in his own end. I'm not worried with him gettiing the puck out, it's more when he's battling with an NHL caliber fwd  .  Also very important whom he's paired with. Nite brings uup a good point, match.

I look at this more like a good problem to have .

p.s. I don't have high expectations ; )

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to Crowls2424's comment:

Agree that the 4th-line remains together, with the open spot for 3rd line LW.  I would think Bourque would make some sense, with Caron pushing once healthy.  Not a great fit for Spooner, although could be some benefit playing with Kelly & Peverley; not your typical 3rd line grinders. 

Bourque playing with Kelly and Peverley would be a waste becuase he is an assist guy. Spooner can shoot, can suprisingly grind it, back checks really well and can finish. Bourque is a pass 1st guy and the the 3rd line already has that in Peverley.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

We overlook Peverly's and Kelly's ability to modify their play depending on need. I thought Kelly did an excellent job during stretches of the season by shooting more, driving to open spots in front of the net, etc. Not his usual 2-way "1st guy back" game, but it was time when he needed to provide scoring. Same with Peverly when he was filling in for Horton. These guys aren't slouches...they can shoot more and do what they need to do.

In short, they simply need to fill the role with the best player available and not worry so much about style. If Bourque's that guy, then don't worry if he's "pass first" or whatever.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Crowls2424's comment:

Agree that the 4th-line remains together, with the open spot for 3rd line LW.  I would think Bourque would make some sense, with Caron pushing once healthy.  Not a great fit for Spooner, although could be some benefit playing with Kelly & Peverley; not your typical 3rd line grinders. 

Bourque playing with Kelly and Peverley would be a waste becuase he is an assist guy. Spooner can shoot, can suprisingly grind it, back checks really well and can finish. Bourque is a pass 1st guy and the the 3rd line already has that in Peverley.

[/QUOTE]

Benoit Pouliot played 74 regular season games and another 7 in the playoffs.  What kind of guy was he?

Kind of agree with asmaha on this one.  Best player gets the spot and Kelly/Peverley will adapt as needed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrrGOAT2. Show No4BobbyOrrGOAT2's posts

As long as 1st 2 lines are healthy, the 3rd line will be fine with either of any of Brq Tard or spoo or even Cama for thatt matter, but moving up Pev frigs that line and the thought of Camp Pail or Thorn moving up is another fright altogether.

Rols makes that 3rd line fast and very def minded exactly what that clod wants, but with proven scoring abilities.

We have no idea what way the B's are heading but in a shortened season newbies will be reminded over and over where their own net is before that of the opposition with CJ.

Rask has to stay healthy which he has not been able to do for long periods, get ready for Sved to take over the reigns.

Bog take your Alz meds ye seem to be down a few.  There is only speculation because that is all this lockout has left us til now.  There is nothing too stupid to be tried, remember jc is behind the bench and it will all be defence.

Seg gets 90 points in 50 games, wow Stan, that will be awesome.

GOAT!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to Crowls2424's comment:[QUOTE]In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Bourque playing with Kelly and Peverley would be a waste becuase he is an assist guy. Spooner can shoot, can suprisingly grind it, back checks really well and can finish. Bourque is a pass 1st guy and the the 3rd line already has that in Peverley.[/QUOTE]

Benoit Pouliot played 74 regular season games and another 7 in the playoffs.  What kind of guy was he?

Kind of agree with asmaha on this one.  Best player gets the spot and Kelly/Peverley will adapt as needed. [/QUOTE]

Well as far as Pouliot lasting memory with me, it would be his awesome slapshot dump in attempt during overtime of game 7 vs Washington. We know the result of that lol. During the season he was fairly effective but he had stretches that were too long full of ineptitude. Benoit was supposed to be a one year bridge for someone in Providence that's it.

I want someone who can finish Kelly and Peverleys great center play. Bourque is not that man I think Spooner is. Hey who knows Julien might reward Tardif.

Edit: http://www.providencejournal.com/sports/bruins/content/20130106-with-lockout-over-a-new-bourque-era-may-be-near-in-boston.ece

" Besides Bourque,  other forwards who might merit a look are tough, physical grinder Lane MacDermid and Jamie Tardif, Providence's top goal-scorer with 16 goals in 32 games. Matt Bartkowski and Torey Krug are defensemen who might get some consideration.

Cassidy said there has been talk of bringing the Providence team to Boston for a scrimmage with the varsity. That would have to happen at midweek — probably next week — since the P-Bruins play virtually all of their league games on weekends."

Maybe whom ever does well in the scrimage gets the nod...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Went to the Providence Bruins game yesterday, thought Christian Hansen was the best forward on the ice for them..They had Bourque on the point on the power play, didnt look out of place their either. Tardiff goes to the net, got a nice PP goal...Max Sauve and Spooner looked like run of the mill guys..Hutchinson doesnt look like he'll ever see the NHL...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

TSN's Bruins preview

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?id=79365

They have a depth chart on there too - suprised me to not see Exelby in their top ten D.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Crowls2424's comment:[QUOTE]In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Bourque playing with Kelly and Peverley would be a waste becuase he is an assist guy. Spooner can shoot, can suprisingly grind it, back checks really well and can finish. Bourque is a pass 1st guy and the the 3rd line already has that in Peverley.[/QUOTE]

Kind of agree with asmaha on this one.  Best player gets the spot and Kelly/Peverley will adapt as needed. [/QUOTE]

Well as far as Pouliot lasting memory with me, it would be his awesome slapshot dump in attempt during overtime of game 7 vs Washington. We know the result of that lol. During the season he was fairly effective but he had stretches that were too long full of ineptitude. Benoit was supposed to be a one year bridge for someone in Providence that's it.

I want someone who can finish Kelly and Peverleys great center play. Bourque is not that man I think Spooner is. Hey who knows Julien might reward Tardif.

Edit: http://www.providencejournal.com/sports/bruins/content/20130106-with-lockout-over-a-new-bourque-era-may-be-near-in-boston.ece

" Besides Bourque,  other forwards who might merit a look are tough, physical grinder Lane MacDermid and Jamie Tardif, Providence's top goal-scorer with 16 goals in 32 games. Matt Bartkowski and Torey Krug are defensemen who might get some consideration.

Cassidy said there has been talk of bringing the Providence team to Boston for a scrimmage with the varsity. That would have to happen at midweek — probably next week — since the P-Bruins play virtually all of their league games on weekends."

Maybe whom ever does well in the scrimage gets the nod...

[/QUOTE]

Could be the plan, given the compressed timeline.

On MacDermid, he got KO'd back in a mid-November scrap by Brett Gallant, and has subsequently only had 2 scraps since.  Both losses to Frazier McLaren and Michael Haley.  It's a pretty big part of his game that has not gone well for him this year.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

I'd love to see Spooner get a shot to play on teh third line w/ Peverly and Kelly.  However, I feel that Bourque will get the shot (which isnt a bad thing).

Can they put Thomas on LTIR to create cap room?  Bringing Pouliot back would be a good depth move, IMO; however, I think he's signed.  I cant imagine Pouliot not being able to land a job.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

No, but they can put Savard on LTIR if they need the space.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[/QUOTE]

I also would like to see this although that practically 3 centers on the same line.  Wonder if CJ wouls go for that. If he does Kelly would be the center.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannyortez3424. Show mannyortez3424's posts

[QUOTE]

To clarify my earlier post, I wasn't exactly fantasizing about Paille on the 3rd line.  I just see that as CJ's most likely move from what we know of him.  The only Providence guys he's familiar with are Caron, MacDermid, and Whitfield.  If the org. has soured on Caron after his lackluster AHL performance, then the other two are 4th liners and he won't trust any of the unproven guys on another line.  If they agree with the idea that you want to keep the 4th line together, then Spooner wouldn't be a terrible fit.  He'll have to earn it, though - they might feel Bourque or Tardif have done more to earn it, and they might prefer to keep Spooner playing a more offensive role.  Of course, a line of Kelly, Peverley and Spooner would be a sort of offensive line in its own right - moreso than a traditional "shutdown" line.

Too bad they didn't re-sign Zach Hamill.

[/QUOTE]

That's a good point, Book. Let's hope he is ready.

My main point is that I don't think to be successful the Bruins need Dougie to be amazing...

They will hopefully be a contender regardless of how Dougie plays...

And I agree, Drewski.  I really hope he forces the Bs to keep him because he obviously has the most upside...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Is there a possibility that Chara will feel bad enough to coax Peter into giving Satan an invite to camp? ;-) 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

Mike Knuble wants to play.  I think the B's should bring him in to ride on that line with Kelly and Peverley.  I don't think that anyone in Providence is ready to play regularly in the show right now.  Fill in when injuries arise, yes, but not a regular shift.  

When Jordan gets back healthy, he needs to pull his head out.  

I love the thought of Camara on that line, he reminds me of a tougher Marchand for some reason.  Love the kids grit, but not likely to happen.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Is there a possibility that Chara will feel bad enough to coax Peter into giving Satan an invite to camp? ;-) 

[/QUOTE]

They aren't friends anymore...;)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I know, but maybe Z will wanna patch things up.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Glen Metropolit  HC Lugano 36 12  34 46 2nd in the league this season. If Chiarelli isn't pleased with his draft picks play in the 1st few weeks and decides to go a forward route in free agency. I wouldn't have a problem Metropolit coing to Boston on a 2nd stint until the trade deadline.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickyHussle. Show RickyHussle's posts

[QUOTE]

Glen Metropolit  HC Lugano 36 12  34 46 2nd in the league this season. If Chiarelli isn't pleased with his draft picks play in the 1st few weeks and decides to go a forward route in free agency. I wouldn't have a problem Metropolit coing to Boston on a 2nd stint until the trade deadline.

[/QUOTE]

I like the Metropolit suggestion.  I hate the Knuble suggestion.  I don't think the right fit needs to be a speedster but he can't be a plodder.  In addition to Metropolit, I think Rolston is another possibility.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[/QUOTE]

I know, but maybe Z will wanna patch things up.

[/QUOTE]

If anyone should be patching things up it should be Satan for publicily carrying on about Chara's horrible betrayal in checking somebody on the other team during a hockey game (!?!). But I think you were being tongue-in-cheek anyhow.  Miro is better off on that side of the pond.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I was thinking the same thing after Patrice was praising him so much.  Do you know what the agreement is with the swiss league in terms of contracts.  Can Metro come over if he wanted to?  I wonder what the implications would be if he did?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

I like the Knuble idea...but on the 4th line and move Paille up. Also gives you another vet who can spot-fill if injuries happen.