Ordway and the Bruins..

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Ordway and the Bruins..

Last week when Ordway was let go from WEEI I said his refusal to talk Bruins hockey finally caught up to him. From this article, looks like WEEI wants to win back some of the Bruins fans since Felger and Mazz are always willing to talk bruins or NHL. 98.5 Sports Hub came in, talked Bruins and the bruins started winning..Cost Ordway originally $500,000 or half of his salary, then cost him his job...

http://www.boston.com/sports/touching_all_the_bases/2013/02/weei_formally_announces_mike_s.html

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Re: Ordway and the Bruins..

I can remember Ordway openly mocking Bruins/Hockey fans.  He would refuse to engage in the topic, telling callers that the only sound anyone would hear is the sound of radios turning off. 

In the end, guess that didn't exactly go the way he thought.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

Last week when Ordway was let go from WEEI I said his refusal to talk Bruins hockey finally caught up to him. From this article, looks like WEEI wants to win back some of the Bruins fans since Felger and Mazz are always willing to talk bruins or NHL. 98.5 Sports Hub came in, talked Bruins and the bruins started winning..Cost Ordway originally $500,000 or half of his salary, then cost him his job...

http://www.boston.com/sports/touching_all_the_bases/2013/02/weei_formally_announces_mike_s.html

kel,

I'm not familiar with this guy but a Boston on-air sports personality who doesn't touch on the Bruins somehow sounds self-defeating ratings-wise.  I take it the Bruins ranked a distant fourth behind the Sox, Celtics and Pats?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to Crowls2424's comment:

I can remember Ordway openly mocking Bruins/Hockey fans.  He would refuse to engage in the topic, telling callers that the only sound anyone would hear is the sound of radios turning off. 

Crowls, so he had a dim view of the sport?  Did he ever explain his reasoning behind this opinion?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:

kel,

I'm not familiar with this guy but a Boston on-air sports personality who doesn't touch on the Bruins somehow sounds self-defeating ratings-wise.  I take it the Bruins ranked a distant fourth behind the Sox, Celtics and Pats?

They may not have the amount of fans the other teams do, but 98.5 seemed to realize that their is a market for people who want to talk hockey..I don't follow the Celtics at all, couldnt name 6 players on the team so I'd have no idea when it comes to them. Seems WEEI underestimated the amount of Bruins fans who wanted to talk about them and are now paying the price..

I remember Ordway mocking the Bruins fans by yelling "Welcome to Hockey Talk" and would be very rude to the caller..Cost him.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Ordway didn't just refuse to talk hockey, he actually mocked the sport. 

Once the B's started winning a few playoff series, Felger and 98.5 were there at the right time to pounce.  Winning the Cup helped create a new fan base and they knew where to go to listen to Bruins talk.  Combine this with the Pats recent playoff failures and the writing was on the wall for Ordway.

Bruins fans are a passionate bunch and 98.5 reached out at the right time.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Crowls, so he had a dim view of the sport?  Did he ever explain his reasoning behind this opinion?

He would contend that hockey talk was bad for ratings.  There was no real competition in sports talk radio to prove him wrong until the Sport's Hub came on-line.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

kel,

They may not have the amount of fans the other teams do, but 98.5 seemed to realize that their is a market for people who want to talk hockey..I don't follow the Celtics at all, couldnt name 6 players on the team so I'd have no idea when it comes to them. Seems WEEI underestimated the amount of Bruins fans who wanted to talk about them and are now paying the price..

I remember Ordway mocking the Bruins fans by yelling "Welcome to Hockey Talk" and would be very rude to the caller..Cost him.

This seems like a curious stance for this station to take in an Original Six town that's got a franchise that's had some hockey immortals wear the Bruins' jersey. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

He would contend that hockey talk was bad for ratings.  There was no real competition in sports talk radio to prove him wrong until the Sport's Hub came on-line.

I could see this position back in 05/06 when the Bruins were weak but even then I'd expect fans to call in just to complain about the state of the team much like what's happened up here in Toronto for the last several years - and for the majority of my adult life regarding the Leafs.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from xdrive. Show xdrive's posts

I still get annoyed with WEEI if that's the case with Ordway he deserves it mostly I did like the station but I get tired of the constant Patriot Celtic talk, after the 7 to 4 lost to the Buffalo Sabres Michael Holly said they didn't get good goaltending I couldn't get through on the phone so I called Michael a dope on Twittergot a response that time from Michael ha ha ha ha

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoyalBlackNGold. Show LoyalBlackNGold's posts

Kel, honestly good ridence to bad trash. if anyone listened as much as I did knows that ordway absolutely mailed it in about 6 years ago. Bad guests/co host, extended vacation time and completely ignoring the bruins. not only ignoring but going out of his way to humiliate hockey fans  with" hello hockey talk" we're he would take a 5 min part of the show for hockey fans but callers were only allowed 10 seconds so he could get though as many callers as possible. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

98.5 didn't pick the right time to join on with the B's.  It didn't exist back when the B's were terrible.  I don't feel like looking it up, but I think they started broadcasting in August of 2009.  It was a bit disappointing, because 98.5 was a pretty cool alternative rock channel.  I even heard the Hip on there once.  It was also disappointing because that took the B's off of AM radio.  The 1030 'BZ signal would honestly reach Ohio.  Any time you were away from home, you could half count on still being able to listen to the game in the car.

RHO:  Boston is run by the Pats and the Sox.  I listened to 98.5 this morning for about an hour.  It was all Patriots.  No joke.  Welker, Volmer, and Tariq dominated the hour.  The B's may be more popular than the Celtics now, but not by much if at all.

I haven't listened to 'EEI since the day the Sports Hub was launched. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I always hoped this would happen.  The last time I lived in Boston was 1998-2000 and that was the period when Ordway led the charge of mocking hockey and hanging up on anyone who talked Bruins.  The only guy on WEEI that would talk Bruins was Dale Arnold. I always wished that WEEI had a competitor and that a new era of Bruin interest would make Ordway shut his big fat yap.

So glad to hear that most of that has come true.  I always thought The Big Show was a bunch of windbags coasting on the popularity of the Whiner Line, which was great back in the day.

Good riddance to Ordway, and I'm glad for those of you in Boston that you at least have some sports radio choices now.

I used to spend my commute listening to Ordway babble about the Sox 3rd base coach between Giant Auto Glass commercials.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

The whiner line had its day, it used to make me chuckle, but the guys on 98.5 are far more entertaining and give the Bruins great service. Regular guest appearances by Chia, Neely, and ST make me stop my car and loiter for a bit to catch them. Felger and Mazz talk Bruins enough of the time (even though Felger can be a d'bag sometimes) and deserve credit for coining one of my favorite Bruins' phrases, " A little Seidenberg in my pants".

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

http://www.boston.com/sports/other-sports/2013/02/19/weei-unveils-mike-salk-glenn-ordway-replacement/W6EqFpcDIMPdDg72v0lMLJ/story.html

Real subtle how Salk mentions the Bruins 9,000 times in his first round of interviews.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

98.5 didn't pick the right time to join on with the B's.  It didn't exist back when the B's were terrible.  I don't feel like looking it up, but I think they started broadcasting in August of 2009.  It was a bit disappointing, because 98.5 was a pretty cool alternative rock channel.  I even heard the Hip on there once.  It was also disappointing because that took the B's off of AM radio.  The 1030 'BZ signal would honestly reach Ohio.  Any time you were away from home, you could half count on still being able to listen to the game in the car.

RHO:  Boston is run by the Pats and the Sox.  I listened to 98.5 this morning for about an hour.  It was all Patriots.  No joke.  Welker, Volmer, and Tariq dominated the hour.  The B's may be more popular than the Celtics now, but not by much if at all.

I haven't listened to 'EEI since the day the Sports Hub was launched. 

Wbz 1030 was a station that I could listen to in NB. I remember the cable being out in game 7 int the 83 play-offs against the Sabers with Fred's call over the radio. When Park won it in OT NAS who replaced Cusick, because he wasnt always on the radio and TV at the same time was he? I know Newmyer (sp) announced before Gocher but who was before him if anyone? 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucdufour. Show lucdufour's posts

Hell, they even devote some time to hockey out here in the Bay Area with SharkTalk amidst the A's/Raiders/Niners/Giants/Warriors/Stanford/Cal.  It is inexcusable to not talk Bruins in New England when virtually every town has its own rink.  Ordway deserved his fate.   

Sections
Shortcuts