Orr

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

Re: Orr

From what I've read he can't even play golf now because his knees are that bad.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DallasSmith. Show DallasSmith's posts

In Response to Re: Orr:
    In Response to Re: Orr : I think Bobby's in better shape than Ray these days......
    Posted by jalvis

I beg to differ.I saw Ray play in an amateur exhibition games a couple of months ago and he looked incredible,he looked like he could still play.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

In Response to Re: Orr : I beg to differ.I saw Ray play in an amateur exhibition games a couple of months ago and he looked incredible,he looked like he could still play.
    Posted by DallasSmith

All I'm saying is that Ray has packed on quite a few since calling it quits.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I agree with NAS.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from OrrEspoCash. Show OrrEspoCash's posts

Orr is the best. He was extremely personable to my grandfather when my grandfather had a fishing boat in Boston. Bobby asked if he could tie his boat up to the Rosie. Other players who I found very personable, A number 1 types are Glen Murray, the Taz, Kenny Linseman, Bucyk, Jacques Laperiere, Gary Doak, Tom Fergus, and Josef Stumpel, among others. All were EXTREMELY approachable. I would put Bourque at the bottom of any list. The one time I met him he couldn't be bothered.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Canadianfan6. Show Canadianfan6's posts

IYou call yourself a Bruins fan????
    I don't think so. You don't compare diferent era n Response to Re: Orr:
    His knees probably wouldn't have held up to preseason, 82 games and 23 playoff games...even when he was healthy. If you put him on the ice today in his 25 year old form, he'd be as effective as Hnidy.  He'd be way too slow and would get rocked coming across the middle.  His slow shot wouldn't beat an ECHL goaltender, let alone Stay Pufft Bobby Lou. In today's game, I'll take McQuaid.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TurkS16. Show TurkS16's posts

In Response to Re: Orr : This guy is talking about Bourque now,your talking about Orr in his prime when he led Bruins to cup,the last time that we won the cup,do you remember that or were you even born,if not quit talking about something you no nothing about.
    Posted by kitchener

You need to excuse this loser called NAS.....his moniker should be Not-A-Clue.
    He rants and puts people down and ignores people who don't share his limited knowledge of hockey. He has posted an average of 6 times a day, every day for 2 and a half years.....talk about needing a life!!!
    Bottom Line is Bobby Orr is the greatest player to ever lace em up, something I am sure NAS never did unless they were figure skates. A healthy Bobby Orr would dominate in ANY era!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from habsno17. Show habsno17's posts

In Response to Re: Orr :  You need to excuse this loser called NAS.....his moniker should be Not-A-Clue. He rants and puts people down and ignores people who don't share his limited knowledge of hockey. He has posted an average of 6 times a day, every day for 2 and a half years.....talk about needing a life!!! Bottom Line is Bobby Orr is the greatest player to ever lace em up, something I am sure NAS never did unless they were figure skates. A healthy Bobby Orr would dominate in ANY era!
    Posted by TurkS16

You forgot the part where he thinks he can have his own opinion in a free country which may then perpetuate an honest debate. Otherwise, yours is surely a post of the day contender.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

These boards have really gone to the dogs lately.

Yup, Bobby's a saint, I agree, so don't accuse me of blasphemy.

Fact is though, one can only reasonably compare players from within their own era.

Why?

Cause so many things change stupid.

Does anyone think Dit Clapper could show up tonite...in game shape from the late 20's, early 30's and dominate?  Of course not.  In his hay day, how hard do you suppose his shot was?  How much body fat?  What kind of shape do you think he was in compared to todays Bruin.

Even though he was considered a "giant of a man"(a ridiculous statement by todays standards, as he was 6ft, 200lbs), the fact is, he'd look desperately out of place tonight.

If Bobby Orr grew up with todays players, he'd undoubtedly be one of the absolute best at 25, maybe the best ever.......

But....that's not what nas responded to.

The early 70's version of Bobby Orr, equipped with the conditioning, skates, sticks, and strategic competence of that era, inserted in the line up...THIS EVENING,....would get run over.

So would Gretzky, and they'd both admit that in a second.  Everything about the game has changed considerably since the 99 played.  The biggest thing is conditioning and nutrition.  The 98 Gretzky didn't have to be in nearly as good shape as a current NHL superstar, plus he would be much more of a physical target.

One may argue they'd both adjust, and yes they would...but their A game, from their era, wouldn't cut it in this era tonight.

Thats what nas called the earlier poster on, and he's right.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Canadianfan6. Show Canadianfan6's posts

Everyone just ignore not a shot now and in the future.
    He is the worst.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

Everyone just ignore not a shot now and in the future. He is the worst.
    Posted by Canadianfan6

no, i agree with nas and stevegm.  the 72 orr would get steamrolled in tonight's game.  if he grew up in the 80's and 90's like today's players, he'd be awesome.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Re: Orr : no, i agree with nas and stevegm.  the 72 orr would get steamrolled in tonight's game.  if he grew up in the 80's and 90's like today's players, he'd be awesome.
    Posted by goodnewsbears

This is comparing apples and oranges.
    The world was a different place in 1972.
    I have the newspaper from 1972 out in front of me right now - which I ran down to the corner store at 5:30 in the a.m. right after the Bruins won that last one.

I also bought the paper from the day before that has an article about an 'amazing' health fanatic.  The guy is 90 named Harlin B Hill.  He was one of the best shot putters in the country according to the article.

What does this fitness fanatic do for exercise?
    5 miles on a stationary bike (that's a half hour at most, it's actually hard to go slower than 10 mph)
    30 deep knee bends
    some push ups.

OK, that is really good for a 90 year old.  But go and google what 90 year old fitness fanatics do today and it's impressive - and there are a LOT of them.

Look at Sanderson smoking in the locker room.

Look at how out of shape those guys were.

The equipment weighed 4,000 lbs then and was 7,000 lbs when wet.

Tying up the puck by pinning it against the boards with your skate was fine.

Both Don Awrey and Dallas Smith couldn't break a window with their slapshots.  More than once I read the label on the puck when they shot it.

In today's game, with today's conditioning, with today's equipment with today's surgery it would be interesting to see where Orr would end up.

Here are the particular skills he had that I have not seen anyone else do with any consistency:
    *The ability to take one timers from the point place them about 6 inches off the ice and labelled on the corners.
    *Shot blocking by dropping to his knees in front of slap shots - he only did this  earlier in his career before his knees gave out, he could scramble up to his feet in time to continue play.
    *His stickhandling.  I've never seen anyone so comfortable with the puck on his stick, notice how he did that big wide dribble while carrying it out of his own end scanning the ice for the open guy.   And was equally comfortable with the short dribbles.

Can you name anyone else with that big wide dribble?  Try it when you're on the ice next, from outside of one skate to the outside of the other.  It's not an instinctive thing to do, yet it was his most easy way to carry the puck.

He had some unique skills, I have no doubt about that.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

marginalizing orr on the bruins board.

Please ignore.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

If you compare guys from previous generations apples to apples than they don't stack up, that is true.  In my opinion however if a guy like Bobby Orr was coming up at this time in history he would have the training, nutrition, coaching. equipment and medical breakthroughs that today's players have and so he would still be the star he was.  Guys like Orr, Gretzky and Lemieux were just so much better than anyone else they played with.  Therefore no matter what generation they came up in their talents supplemented by the advantages they would add to their games based on training etc of that particular time, would still see them head and shoulders above the majority of the competition. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Outstanding athletes from previous generations would likely be outstanding athletes today.  The game has changed, it's faster and more complicated, but if someone grew up in this system and not in the 60's, they would likely be outstanding in today's game.  We have seen players bridge generations and do well at both ends of their career (like Recchi or Bourque, or Mario pre and post comeback) and we have seen genetically similar players have similar dominance in different generations (Bobby and Brett Hull).  Bobby Orr, trained in today's game, with his same hockey sense and athletic ability, would likely be an elite player in today's game.  He would play differently, train differently, but would likely still be outstanding.  The goalies would be better positioned, but he would be stronger and use a composite stick.  Probably like Duncan Keith, only better.  And yes, Ray Bourque is chubby, but he is still something else on skates. His passing and playmaking still something to behold.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

Outstanding athletes from previous generations would likely be outstanding athletes today.  The game has changed, it's faster and more complicated, but if someone grew up in this system and not in the 60's, they would likely be outstanding in today's game.  We have seen players bridge generations and do well at both ends of their career (like Recchi or Bourque, or Mario pre and post comeback) and we have seen genetically similar players have similar dominance in different generations (Bobby and Brett Hull).  Bobby Orr, trained in today's game, with his same hockey sense and athletic ability, would likely be an elite player in today's game.  He would play differently, train differently, but would likely still be outstanding.  The goalies would be better positioned, but he would be stronger and use a composite stick.  Probably like Duncan Keith, only better.  And yes, Ray Bourque is chubby, but he is still something else on skates. His passing and playmaking still something to behold.
    Posted by OatesCam

Well said.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Orr would have blown through Vancouver's d-men all day, night, afternoon, morning, on the PP, SH, 5-on-5, 4-on-4, 3-on-5. There is no one who skated with his precision in today's NHL, yesterday's NHL, first-day NHL...No one...He also would have made Luongo look sick by just throwing a couple of his famous dekes. Orr would have found Thomas's weakness, which is he would simply go to his backhand when Thomas went down. This other part about Orr was for amusement. But anyone who thinks he couldn't dominate even in today's NHL is....well....an idiot. But obviously never watched him play. I did, no one compares. Would he have been drilled? Sure, and so was Orr when he played back then...constantly cheap-shotted by opponents. That part of the game never changes.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsCountry. Show BruinsCountry's posts

I realize the intent of the original post, but after reading some of the posts here, I'm left with no choice but to wade in. 

Danny Cater's right, others are wrong and still others are kidding.  But I digress.

You can call me an old phart, but you can't say the same about these three guys.  Milt Schmidt has been involved in the NHL since the 1930's.  Gordie Howe has been part of the NHL since the late 40's.  Montreal Gazette hockey columnist Red Fisher has been covering the NHL since the early 1950's.  What do these esteemed men have in commen in addition to being members of the Hockey Hall of Fame?  They all say Bobby Orr's the best who has ever played.  THE best.  Ever.  And they've seen 'em all.

So why is Orr the best ever and why would he still be the best in today's NHL?

One of the biggest differentiators among players who make it to the NHL and those who don't is skating ability.  I'm not sure that those who question how Orr would fare in today's NHL fully appreciate skating ability in general, let alone Orr's unapproachable skating skills which enabled him to pass, shoot, deflect and defend while moving at top speed. 

When speaking of Orr, Fisher has consistently said that most NHL players have to slow down a bit...almost imperceptibly...in order to maximize any, all or some of their particular skills.  Most players.  But not Orr.  Fisher says one of the main reasons Orr was better than his peers was that he could do everything at top speed. 

Orr's speed, skills, skating talents and ability to control games like no one before or since, in combination with his hockey instincts and the rules of "the new NHL", give plenty of reasons to believe that Orr would have been the best player of today's NHL too.

Note to BadHab:  To give credit where it's due, Park and Bourque were also masters of the one-timer from the point, lasers usually 1-2" off the ice, far post or near, or 5-hole and could pick the corners too. 

Between Shore, Orr, Park, Bourque and Chara (not as skilled offensively as the others, but a monster in his own end) and a few others, we've been blessed by blueline excellence for decades.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

I realize the intent of the original post, but after reading some of the posts here, I'm left with no choice but to wade in.  Danny Cater's right, others are wrong and still others are kidding.  But I digress. You can call me an old phart, but you can't say the same about these three guys.  Milt Schmidt has been involved in the NHL since the 1930's.  Gordie Howe has been part of the NHL since the late 40's.  Montreal Gazette hockey columnist Red Fisher has been covering the NHL since the early 1950's.  What do these esteemed men have in commen in addition to being members of the Hockey Hall of Fame?  They all say Bobby Orr's the best who has ever played.  THE best.  Ever.  And they've seen 'em all. So why is Orr the best ever and why would he still be the best in today's NHL? One of the biggest differentiators among players who make it to the NHL and those who don't is skating ability.  I'm not sure that those who question how Orr would fare in today's NHL fully appreciate skating ability in general, let alone Orr's unapproachable skating skills which enabled him to pass, shoot, deflect and defend while moving at top speed.  When speaking of Orr, Fisher has consistently said that most NHL players have to slow down a bit...almost imperceptibly...in order to maximize any, all or some of their particular skills.  Most players.  But not Orr.  Fisher says one of the main reasons Orr was better than his peers was that he could do everything at top speed.  Orr's speed, skills, skating talents and ability to control games like no one before or since , in combination with his hockey instincts and the rules of "the new NHL", give plenty of reasons to believe that Orr would have been the best player of today's NHL too. Note to BadHab:  To give credit where it's due, Park and Bourque were also masters of the one-timer from the point, lasers usually 1-2" off the ice, far post or near, or 5-hole and could pick the corners too.  Between Shore, Orr, Park, Bourque and Chara (not as skilled offensively as the others, but a monster in his own end) and a few others, we've been blessed by blueline excellence for decades.
    Posted by BruinsCountry

A great post!!  I also love the notation to Boston's history of great defensemen - Shore to Orr to Park to Bourque to Chara (The Fab 5).  Zdeno should have another 5 good years but hopefully in the next year or two we will find number 6 to carry the torch.

Sections
Shortcuts