Osgood the hall of famer

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

Re: Osgood the hall of famer

There are 35 goalies in the Hall of Fame. That's a pretty low # and pretty exclusive territory.

Goalies that were better than Osgood (IMHO) during his time in the NHL

1) Roy
    2) Brodeur
    3) Hasek (who replaced him)
    4) CuJo
    5) Tim Thomas
    6) Ryan Miller
    7) Luongo
    8) Lundqvist

I'd even add Price, Ranford, Fleury & Bryzgalov to that list as I'd take all of them in their prime over a prime Osgood.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Osgood by the numbers

1 -- Seasons in which Osgood led the NHL in goals-against average. In 2007-08, Osgood was tops among all goaltenders with a 2.09 GAA while leading Detroit to its fourth Stanley Cup title in 11 seasons.

3 -- Teams for which Osgood had at least one 30-win season. He put up 30 or more wins four times with Detroit, but also had more than 30 wins in his one full season with the New York Islanders (2001-02) and St. Louis Blues (2003-04).

6 -- Most shutouts by Osgood in a single season. Three times in a four-year span (1996-97, '97-98 and 1999-2000), Osgood put up six shutouts, accounting for 18 of the 50 he had in his career.

8 -- Osgood's rank on the all-time list for playoff victories. He won 74 of his 129 postseason games, three behind former teammate Mike Vernon and three ahead of Hall of Famer Jacques Plante. He's tops on Detroit's all-time list with 67 playoff victories.

10 -- Osgood's spot on the all-time regular-season wins list. He became the 10th goaltender in NHL history to reach the 400-win mark by beating Colorado 4-3 in overtime on Dec. 28, 2010. His 401st and final victory came in a 5-3 win at Edmonton on Jan. 4, 2011.

15 -- Playoff shutouts by Osgood, fourth on the all-time list. Only Patrick Roy (23), Martin Brodeur (23) and Curtis Joseph (16) have more.

185 -- Difference between wins and regulation losses for Osgood, who ended his career with 401 wins and 216 regulation defeats. Only four goaltenders -- Brodeur, Roy, Jacques Plante and Ken Dryden -- have bigger won-lost differentials."

Like the Red Sox did with Jim Rice, Detroit's Sports marketing department will have to concentrate on the numbers above when lobbying the NHL HOF selection committee. It will be difficult but not out of the question. Athletes that are well liked by their peers and media get a leg up.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

A good goalie, with some nice playoff performances, and a long productive run in the league.  Was he ever great?  No.  Would anyone go to the Hall of Fame to show their kids the Osgood statue?  No.  Was he ever, at any time, a top-5 goalie in the league?  No.

He's the opposite of Cam Neely.  A long, healthy career and championship rings.  But that doesn't make him an outstanding player.  The Hall is about the best of the best.  Osgood was always competetant, but never elite. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

More numbers...

In 129 postseason appearances, Osgood won 79 games, a wins-to-games ratio that rivals that of many current Hall of Famers.

His .916 playoff save percentage is better than Roy's and Brodeur's.

His 15 playoff shutouts rank fourth all time.

Definitely debateable for sure

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsFanInPenTerritory. Show BruinsFanInPenTerritory's posts

In Response to Re: Osgood the hall of famer:
    [QUOTE]More numbers... In 129 postseason appearances, Osgood won 79 games, a wins-to-games ratio that rivals that of many current Hall of Famers. His .916 playoff save percentage is better than Roy's and Brodeur's. His 15 playoff shutouts rank fourth all time.   Definitely debateable for sure
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]Thanks for the numbers SanDog ... they paint a hard to determine picture. It was one of the ESPN guys who said yesterday that Osgood is the most complex case for the HHOF in recent years. Maybe I'm a bit deluded because I appreciate the good guy component to Osgood and that he did well for so long. Sure he wasn't the greatest at his position but a lot of hall of famers aren't either.

Speaking to an earlier post from you San, I thought all references to Logan Couture were off limits at these boards? The mere thought that the B's passed on him for Zach Hammil makes me want to vomit.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Osgood was a pro - beyond reproach as a guy who was prepared, efficient, focused.  Made the most of the talent he had.  But.  Hall of Fame?  Not for me, though I think he's a flashpoint for this in the same way someone above identified him as the flashpoint for the trend to budget goaltending.

How many guys in the Hall have consistently lost their jobs?  Osgood came into the league on a goalie carousel with Essensa, Cheveldae, and others when Detroit didn't have the goaltending to win - and he was the survivor of that exercise in so far as he went on to split time with Mike Vernon when Detroit tabbed him as the guy to push them over the top.  The Wings let him walk for Cujo, the Isles dealt him and went with Garth Snow and DiPietro, the Blues decided he wasn't the answer and went to a carousel including Lalime and Bacshuihua.  He went back to Detroit to back up Manny Legace and then Domenik Hasek, and he only took the reins for his second cup run when Hasek had another of his phantom injuries.  If you look at him like this, he is the Earl Morrall of NHL goaltenders (look it up if you're under 50).

He had 5 seasons where his SV% was under .900.  He couldn't duplicate his success in Detroit without that roster in front of him.  But maybe more importantly, just watching him, you never got the sense that here was one of the greats, here was a guy who inspired confidence in his team, his coach, in managers.  That's why they were always trying to get someone better.  You go into the Hall of Fame when people aren't looking at the Hall of REAL Fame for someone better.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Osgood the hall of famer:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Osgood the hall of famer :  Speaking to an earlier post from you San, I thought all references to Logan Couture were off limits at these boards? The mere thought that the B's passed on him for Zach Hammil makes me want to vomit.Posted by BruinsFanInPenTerritory[/QUOTE]

I've been saying for a few months that Zack has no place to go but up. I'm actually cheering for the guy because I like the story of the athlete left for dead but makes a comeback. The talent level at center tells me that Hammil won't make the Bruins but to be honest he has not looked awful when he played with the bigboys IMO.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsFanInPenTerritory. Show BruinsFanInPenTerritory's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Osgood the hall of famer : I've been saying for a few months that Zack has no place to go but up. I'm actually cheering for the guy because I like the story of the athlete left for dead but makes a comeback. The talent level at center tells me that Hammil won't make the Bruins but to be honest he has not looked awful when he played with the bigboys IMO.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

Dang, we're going off topic but oh well. I would love it for Hammil to start playing well as it wouldn't be a waste of a first round pick. I read somewhere (think it was Matt Kalman's blog) that Coach Cassidy has challenged Zach to be a more complete player. He may shift over to the wing this year in P-Town.

And back to the present debate ... What a great hockey topic. I'm not a Wings fan at all but I really like Osgood. Hope he makes it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JYaso. Show JYaso's posts

Hall of Fame means "Great Player"

Osgood was a good player on an even better team.

Was Osgood even the best Goalie in the League at any Particular time in his career?

I'm sorry, but if he gets in the Hall, then they should rename it the "Hall of Above Average".

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

[QUOTE]Osgood was a pro - beyond reproach as a guy who was prepared, efficient, focused.  Made the most of the talent he had.  But.  Hall of Fame?  Not for me, though I think he's a flashpoint for this in the same way someone above identified him as the flashpoint for the trend to budget goaltending. How many guys in the Hall have consistently lost their jobs?  Osgood came into the league on a goalie carousel with Essensa, Cheveldae, and others when Detroit didn't have the goaltending to win - and he was the survivor of that exercise in so far as he went on to split time with Mike Vernon when Detroit tabbed him as the guy to push them over the top.  The Wings let him walk for Cujo, the Isles dealt him and went with Garth Snow and DiPietro, the Blues decided he wasn't the answer and went to a carousel including Lalime and Bacshuihua.  He went back to Detroit to back up Manny Legace and then Domenik Hasek, and he only took the reins for his second cup run when Hasek had another of his phantom injuries.  If you look at him like this, he is the Earl Morrall of NHL goaltenders (look it up if you're under 50). He had 5 seasons where his SV% was under .900.  He couldn't duplicate his success in Detroit without that roster in front of him.  But maybe more importantly, just watching him, you never got the sense that here was one of the greats, here was a guy who inspired confidence in his team, his coach, in managers.  That's why they were always trying to get someone better.  You go into the Hall of Fame when people aren't looking at the Hall of REAL Fame for someone better.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]
    This post sums it up perfectly

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

[QUOTE]Can the team that plays in front of you factor in? Ken Dryden and Grant Fuhr, had way better teams in front of them then anyone else in the league. I believe Osgood could well make the hhof based on his championship rings, and post season numbers. I also believe Osgood won his team some important games during thier runs. My vote would go to him making it!
    Posted by juniorfalcons19[/QUOTE]
    I would agree that Dryden was probably a product of the team in front of him, much like Osgood in Detroit.
    Fuhr however, was IMO, the reason Edmonton was able to freewheel and pay little attention to their own end.

Sections
Shortcuts