Osgood....Yes or No?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

Osgood....Yes or No?

I know this has nothing to do with the B's, but I figured it's an interesting topic that was brought up on Satellite Radio this AM. Also, I am still a goalie, so I feel for these guys.
    Do you think Chris Osgood deserves to be in the HOF? If not why? I'm going to say why I say yes.
    He's only 1 of 10 goalies in history to have 400 wins. Here's the list: Brodeur-606*
    2) Roy-551
    3) Belfour-484
    4) Cujo- 454
    5) Sawchuk-447
    6) Plante-437
    7) Esposito-423
    8) Hall-407 
    9) Fuhr-403  
    10) Ozzy- 400* Winner of 3 Stanley Cups- 2 of them as a starter.

Gerry Cheevers is in the HOF & he's only won 2 & only has 230 wins.

Tretiak is in the HOF. He never won a Stanley Cup.

He has more wins than the following goalie's. Parent, Smith, Dryden & Worsley.

I think Ozzy just did his thing quietly. He's not a name that stands out when talking about HOF goalies, but stats don't lie & just because there wasn't anything flashy, or memorable about the guy doesn't make him any less deserving IMHO!  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from fordprefect. Show fordprefect's posts

Re: Osgood....Yes or No?

It will be a close vote.  He did play on some great teams, but he also had flashes of brilliance, and did win the cups.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

It won't be right away.  Dino's 600+ goals didn't get him in the first time.

I think he will get in, however.  He did his job much better than most in the history of the game.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

No brainer... definitely yes.

It was fun watching him win that 400th last night.  After he gave up that second goal (which was terrible) it looked like they might lose 10-2.  He was immense in the second period, and stopped 46.  Good for him.  Classy guy with Howard, good teammate.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

It won't be right away.  Dino's 600+ goals didn't get him in the first time.

Wasn't his questionable past that held him back; more than what he actually did on the ice?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

Cheesey is in cause he was top of his class (along with that other guy, who know, what's his name, KD), coming from the end of an era that some say was the zenith of the NHL

Tretiak is in cause he was the first. Also he played amazing hockey when we first saw him in the 72 summit.

Parent, Smith and Dryden also from the zenith of hockey

Wolsey cause he was the last of the 50-60 crowd, and the Gumper really had a great style. Origianl six, what else can ya say.

Ozzy did his thing really really quiet. He had too. Look at what he had to contend with compared to all the rest. Gretzkey, Lemieux, expansion and more expansion, all the great players on Detroit that played with him and their cups. He's in, but as NAS says, not right away. Give him a few years of retirement when people will see that not many other goalies will be able to do what Ozzy has in the modern game.

Thanks for the memories nitemare ! 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

In Response to Re: Osgood....Yes or No?:
    [QUOTE]Cheesey is in cause he was top of his class (along with that other guy, who know, what's his name, KD), coming from the end of an era that some say was the zenith of the NHL Tretiak is in cause he was the first. Also he played amazing hockey when we first saw him in the 72 summit. Parent, Smith and Dryden also from the zenith of hockey Wolsey cause he was the last of the 50-60 crowd, and the Gumper really had a great style. Origianl six, what else can ya say. Ozzy did his thing really really quiet. He had too. Look at what he had to contend with compared to all the rest. Gretzkey, Lemieux, expansion and more expansion, all the great players on Detroit that played with him and their cups. He's in, but as NAS says, not right away. Give him a few years of retirement when people will see that not many other goalies will be able to do what Ozzy has in the modern game. Thanks for the memories nitemare ! 
    Posted by Stuke50[/QUOTE]

Hey Stuke. I wasn't by any means taking anything away from any of those HOF'ers. I was just bringing up the argument for Ozzy's case. Hard to believe that the B's had Sawchuk, Cheevers, Parent, Dryden & 3 more not in the HOF, but had great careers. Moog, Ranford & Bouchard in their own orginization. With 3 of them beating the B's out of the play-offs & winning the Conn Smythe in the process. Makes ya just shake your head & go...."I wonder if?"

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

Hey !!!  No problems...I was just going down memory lane !!  thanks for that. much appreciated....Bernie also played for the Bruins as well...He was there when I first started cheering for the spoked B's !!!   keep stopping the rubber nitemare !!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dave24. Show Dave24's posts

It's Osgood, not Osgreat.  Being a good player on great teams isn't worthy of having your ticket punched to the HoF, IMO. His stats were pedestrian outside of Detroit. Is Turco a HoF goalie? He's got better career stats, same number of All Star appearances, and played on a weaker Dallas team. 

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

No, he isn't close to as good a goalie as anyone on that list and if he played his career for the islander would anyone even think about him for the HOF

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrVmax. Show MrVmax's posts

No doubt!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JYaso. Show JYaso's posts

I say no--- just because you have 400 wins, doesn't dictate that he should be in.  In his prime he was a good goalie not great and benefitted from playing with a dominant Red Wings team. In his prime he was not even in the top 3 goaltenders in the league at that time.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Not unless they let in Richter first. (a player who was considered among the top three at times in his career and who has a better career sv % than Osgood, on what was, with exception of a few seasons including their Cup run) a much worse team. I was never a huge Richter fan, but he was a better goalie than Osgood.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

Ok! Those of you that are saying Ozzy played for great teams is way off base & not looking at the overall picture. What about Ken Dryden, Billy Smith, Grant Fuhr! What if Fuhr played his career in St. Louis, or Toronto. What if Billy Smith stayed in LA! Did Detroit win a cup when Tim Cheveldae was in the net in 95! He has the numbers that match a lot of HOF'ers. In 08 in the Stanley Cup Finals. Ozzy replaced Conklin & played fantastic in the Finals. To punish a guy because he was surrounded by talent is not a reason to take away his accomplishments.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dave24. Show Dave24's posts

At no point did I ever think Osgood was in the top 5 at his position at a given moment of time.

"Did Detroit win a cup when Tim Cheveldae was in the net in 95!"

No, they won it the next year with Vernon in net.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

No they didn't win it then either! Colorado did! And Mike Vernon had a great team in 97 & Ozzy in 98! Doesn't matter whether he was in the top 5 or not! His numbers thru out his career is what it comes down to! The HOF is based on a career, not where his rank was. Dino at no point was ever in the top 5 in his position either. Neither was a number of HOF'ers. You're argument is baseless!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dave24. Show Dave24's posts

So you're going with the "Rafael Palmeiro" argument - accumulated numbers by playing many years?

You're taking this so personally - didn't know you were part of the Osgood family!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

I'm not taking anything personally & not a member of the family. I am saying that you're argument to keep the guy out of the HOF isn't a good enough reason. At least my reasons I give are based on something. You're basing yours on an opinion that doesn't have no merit to back it up. I'm not saying you're not entitled to your opinion. I'm saying your opinion is without looking at the overall picture. The arguements you have given are proved wrong with other players that have been inducted.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Nitemare, I think he has the merit to be in the HHOF, but hot ahead of Richter. If Richter gets in, then I'd be fine with Osgood getting the nod, or at least consideration

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

I have no issues about Richter! For a Ranger I liked him as goalie & he made one of the biggest saves in Stanley Cup history with the Penalty shot save off Bure! His lateral movement was ahead of his time. Also, won game 3 in the 96 World Cup by himself. Also, the size of his thighs were the biggest I've ever seen! They had a segment during the 96 WC where they talked about & showed them.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dave24. Show Dave24's posts

"I am saying that you're argument to keep the guy out of the HOF isn't a good enough reason."

Actually I don't have to argue anything to keep anyone out.  The HoF is supposed to mean something. You need to argue why someone ought to be in there.  It's not a career longevity award.  Piling up the W's playing for good Detroit teams isn't a valid argument to put him in there. His mediocrity outside of Detroit really calls out how much being on the Wings helped his win totals.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

Well usually when you argue, you base that arguement on something. If your arguement doesn't have merit (which so far all of yours don't) than your arguing because you just like to, or you don't like to admit when you're wrong.

Yes I know it's supposed to mean something. The guy has better stats in more than one catagory then some that are in there that also played on awesome teams.
    And YES IT IS A LONGETIVITY AWARD!!! Do you know what the HOF is? It is the place where hockey people have had awesome careers & put up great individual achievments through out it, or helped make the sport better. That's what a career is. It's what you have accomplished in your life with what you have chosen to do with it over a period of time, but How many players, builders or coaches are in there for something that they did over a 5 yr career?  So, there has to be some LONGETIVITY involved somewhere. What else you got Rookie? BTW- Be happy I'm getting your post number up there. Pretty soon you'll be able to get responses from other other posters who will put you in your place & help ya learn a thing or two as well.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I have no problem with either Richter nor Osgood going in. Who does the Hall of Fame committee think they are "baseball writers" ?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Osgood....Yes or No?:
    [QUOTE]Not unless they let in Richter first. (a player who was considered among the top three at times in his career and who has a better career sv % than Osgood, on what was, with exception of a few seasons including their Cup run) a much worse team. I was never a huge Richter fan, but he was a better goalie than Osgood.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

When were the times Richter was considered top 3?

Sections
Shortcuts