Osgood....Yes or No?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

Re: Osgood....Yes or No?

No.
    He looks like a pig in slops in the regular season, has for half a decade.
    His winning percentage is god awful. On teams as good as the Wings have been in the past decade he should be at 500 wins or more by now.

No, no, no.
    I'd feel less embarrassed for the sport if PJ Stock were inducted.

In Response to Osgood....Yes or No?:
    [QUOTE]I know this has nothing to do with the B's, but I figured it's an interesting topic that was brought up on Satellite Radio this AM. Also, I am still a goalie, so I feel for these guys. Do you think Chris Osgood deserves to be in the HOF? If not why? I'm going to say why I say yes. He's only 1 of 10 goalies in history to have 400 wins. Here's the list: Brodeur-606* 2) Roy-551 3) Belfour-484 4) Cujo- 454 5) Sawchuk-447 6) Plante-437 7) Esposito-423 8) Hall-407  9) Fuhr-403   10) Ozzy- 400* Winner of 3 Stanley Cups- 2 of them as a starter. Gerry Cheevers is in the HOF & he's only won 2 & only has 230 wins. Tretiak is in the HOF. He never won a Stanley Cup. He has more wins than the following goalie's. Parent, Smith, Dryden & Worsley. I think Ozzy just did his thing quietly. He's not a name that stands out when talking about HOF goalies, but stats don't lie & just because there wasn't anything flashy, or memorable about the guy doesn't make him any less deserving IMHO!  
    Posted by nitemare-38[/QUOTE]

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruWingFan. Show BruWingFan's posts

Positives... Ozzie has 400 wins, 2 Cups as a starter and 1 as the backup, 2 Jennings Trophies and he did not have a losing record in the NHL until last season.

Negatives... He's never won a major individual award. IMO the Jennings is more indicative of the team's defensive play. Ozzie is considered more of a "bridge" goalie than a "go to" goalie. Every team he's been on has either traded or waived him because they picked up a goalie who they felt was more capable. Ozzie has never represented Canada in any international tournament.

If Ozzie gets in it will be after Belfour gets in and it will be in a year when there is very little competition.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dave24. Show Dave24's posts

nitemare-38, you are the one who keeps repeating how many wins Osgood had as your sole argument. This whole "arguement doesn't have merit" business sounds like you are trying to convince yourself more than anything. Maybe you shouldn't post things on a message board if all you want is to see your own view echoed back to you.

I don't want a Hall of Very Good. At no time did I ever consider Osgood to be one of the top 5 goalies in the league.  He had one Vezina nomination in his career, which he lost out to Jim Carey. He was waived by Detroit. He ended up in StL via the Isles, and the Blues elected not to re-sign him. Not exactly a HoF resume to me. Putting Osgood in will just lead to more marginal cases to get inducted. You point to Dino as others will later point to Osgood if he gets in.

This view sums up my feelings on Osgood:

"Working against him: he was never "great." Osgood is a player that's been very good for an extended period of time and compiled some huge numbers in the process. He was never dominant, nor was he ever considered one of the best goalies in the league during his career. He also had most of his success on some loaded Red Wings teams which will surely be used as part of the argument against him."

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

Yea Adam Gretz! NOW THERE'S REAL HOCKEY GURU FOR YA! The guy's from PA who's only been writing about hockey since 2008! Before that it was football & nascar! I carry more hockey knowledge in my armpit! Thx for proving where you get your knowledge from. Guess that's the reason you only had 50 some post before I open this thread.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dave24. Show Dave24's posts

I found a view that I share and credited the source - this is apparently a "bad thing" in your view.  It's funny how the person with 50 some posts can discuss the topic and the person with 1300+ cannot seem to do so without taking it personally. Only you can explain why someone having a different opinion offends you so deeply.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Nitemare,
    I think Osgood will be a cusp player on the HOF ballet for a while.. He should have his number retired by the wings, but he never did much out side of detriot.  He was good enough to manage to stay a career starter for a long time, and longevity is worth something but I wouldnt want Richter in their either and I think your looking at a guy in that similar class, good player, great career, but one of the best all time at his position..

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

It is a bad thing when you bring a source into a thread of an original 6 franchise; that is giving an opinion of a player from another original 6 franchise. From someone with no creditibilty to the sport! If this was Bob Mckenzie? That's one thing. So, for you to bring an opinion from basically what would be equivalent as a car heater; use that to explain your basis? And for you to think that is going to back up your argument in this forum. Yea that is offensive!  Come back & see me when you can actually find a "hockey person's opinion!" Until then I'm done with you.

Talking about Osgood when he played for St.Louis & Islanders! In both cases those teams decided they were going with younger & cheaper goalie's & they KNEW he could be a #1 goalie somewhere else. Seriously? You proved again how little you know. So, what's that saying about Fuhr when he played for the Leafs, Flames & Kings? Did he have HOF #'s when he played for those teams? I mean do you think for one second that the B's would've let Bernie Parent go if he was playing like he was going to the HOF?  

Here's Osgoods achievments: The 3 Stanley Cups, one of 5 goalies to actually shoot the puck into the net & one of only 10 goalies in the history to have 400 wins! Is enough to get him in.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dave24. Show Dave24's posts

I did not post "Read this guy - he's an authoritative source on everything hockey-related!".  I provided the view that I agree with and provided the source so that I would not be passing someone else's words off as my own.  Ever hear of plagiarism?  Taking someone else's words and passing them off as your own?  Or more your speed, copying/pasting from Wikipedia but not acknowledging that you did so?

Gretz also said elsewhere "it's only fair to take into account the greatness that was Bobby Orr, as he was simply a man among boys."  Are you going to naysay this view too because Gretz wrote it?  You can't argue the point, so you just argue the source instead since you know you are on shaky ground.

Fuhr ended his career with those teams. Osgood's trip to Long Island and St. Louis happened in the middle of his career in his prime.  Maybe you should spend some more time on Wikipedia...

Hextall scored a goal too - is he a Hall of Famer too?  At least he won a Vezina. One play in one game does not make the player a Hall of Famer - maybe the puck goes into the HoF for the play, but the player?  That's absurd.

"I carry more hockey knowledge in my armpit!"

Maybe you should let your armpit post instead of talking out a different part of the anatomy. If you can't handle this discussion and are going to take a hissy, just click the "Ignore" buttom in the bottom right corner and do everyone a favor.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

Nitemare,
    I think Osgood will be a cusp player on the HOF ballet for a while.. He should have his number retired by the wings, but he never did much out side of detriot.  He was good enough to manage to stay a career starter for a long time, and longevity is worth something but I wouldnt want Richter in their either and I think your looking at a guy in that similar class, good player, great career, but one of the best all time at his position..
    Hey Roller, How she goin!
    Hey I'm not saying the guy will get in his first year of eligibility. However, what changed my opinion of who gets in & who doesn't was Bernie Federko. Not saying he shouldn't be... If he didn't get in there's a good chance Neely would not have.

My arguement is the fact that Ozzy played for some good Detroit teams should not be a deciding factor. I mean did Cujo win a cup when he was there? Did Manny Legace? Just because you play in front of a great team doesn't mean your goalie will win!

Dennis Herron in 1980 with the Canadiens. Who got out-dueled by Gillies Meloche.

Richard Sevigny still played for awesome Montreal Canadiens teams.

Our own Gilles Gilbert- Who had the greatest player in history of hockey on his team in 74. Wasn't able to win. That's why saying "anyone could've played net on that team" doesn't wash with me. Osgood still had a job to do & he did that job. He did his part to help the team accomplish the goal that was set out.

There's an arguement about Adam Oates! People say he never won anything! He played on some bad teams & some good ones. He played with Neely & Hull. Does that take away his abilities as a great passer because he played with two snipers!
    You going to take away what Bossy did because he had Bryan Trottier as a center & Gillies as his winger to help give him the room? You can't put an
    * on a person because of who they're surrounded by! They still have to DO they're job. If there's an * on players, then there wouldn't be a HOF to begin with.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

Gretz also said elsewhere "it's only fair to take into account the greatness that was Bobby Orr, as he was simply a man among boys."  Are you going to naysay this view too because Gretz wrote it?  You can't argue the point, so you just argue the source instead since you know you are on shaky ground.

OMG! You're going to compare what Gretz says & compare that to a Adam Gretz! I think the opinion's from one to the other is a little lopesided! As I said I don't just take anyones opinion just because they may agree with me. Gretz says that Gordie Howe was the greatest player that ever lived. Doesn't mean I agree with it. However, I'll certainly listen to his view before a no name reporter!

Or more your speed, copying/pasting from Wikipedia but not acknowledging that you did so?

Well why would I have to acknowledge my source. If it's so obvious where I got it! I mean even if someone with your knowledge was able to see that. I'm sure the more knowledgeable one's on here certainly would know. 

Oh one more thing! Fuhr was a member of the Leafs when he was 30 yrs old! His Prime year & I didn't need wiki to tell me that.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

Yes.  Osgood gets in.  But, like many have said, he'll wait a little bit. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dave24. Show Dave24's posts

Same guy, no idea what you are babbling about:

I provided a source to a quote. You still seem to have no idea why someone would do so. Can't help you out there.

Fuhr was suspended during this "prime year". He was later traded to Toronto in a 7-player deal, not waived like Osgood was. Why was a "future HoF'er" like Osgood waived in his late 20's?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

Fuhr was suspended during this "prime year". He was later traded to Toronto in a 7-player deal,

27-30 is usually considered you're prime yrs there Bud!

Why was a "future HoF'er" like Osgood waived in his late 20's?

I don't know, but why did the B's let a Reggie Leach go to California? Probably because they thought they were improving the team. If Osgood was so bad?  Why would Detroit bring him back? Probably because they realized they made a mistake.

I provided a source to a quote. You still seem to have no idea why someone would do so. Can't help you out there.

Look you dolt! I know why you provide a source with a quote! What you don't seem to realize is the "source" you're using is not someone who's a popular one in the hockey world. Give me a quote from someone who's a legit source that says Osgood shouldn't be in the HOF. Not some no name! I have a list of my sources who say he should get in. Who are yours? So far you have quoted Adam Gretz & you also said the exact same thing that a guy by the name of Rob Otto did.
    When I google "Does Osgood belong in the HOF?" The only quotes that come up in the negative, are from no name sports guys! None of them remotely close to being part of the hockey world.

When you can find one?. Send the link. Or, tell me some guest that were on NHL HOME ICE that said No! 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dave24. Show Dave24's posts

"His Prime year"
    "27-30 is usually considered you're prime yrs"

I'm only going off the words you wrote. So Osgood was waived during his "prime yrs" according to what you said....unless you will now somehow change this again. No answer as to why he was waived, other than again to start talking about someone else.

"I know why you provide a source with a quote!"

Apparently you don't - see below.

"What you don't seem to realize is the "source" you're using is not someone who's a popular one in the hockey world."

I should care why exactly?  It's not like the identity of this person matters in the slightest since I'm not holding him up as some sort of definitive authority on this or any issue. All I'm doing is crediting him since he wrote those words. I am not posting them and pretending that they are mine.  That's all it is. My post at 5:40 PM EST explains this.  Why this baffles you is one of life's great mysteries....

Btw, you do realize the Gretz piece doesn't actually take sides on this issue?  He gives both sides of the debate.  Guess you didn't even read it before trashing it....