Ottawa fans complaining

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Ottawa fans complaining

Anyone who has looked at the different comments on stories about last night's game has likely seen alot of chirping about the reffing from Sens fans. Kerry Fraser got tonnes of e-mails, some he printed, that outright called the refs "gutless" and cheaters."

So he decided to go through the entire game, play by play, and illustrate what calles were missed, what were good calls, and what were good non-calls.
    The whole article including the e-mails is here
    http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=386676#YourCallTop

But I thought I'd posst Fraser's analysis right here. Despite all of the complaining by Sens fans, he points out that it was actually the Bruins that got the shortend of the stick.

First Period:

9:50 Good non-call; Brad Marchand (Bos) breaks in on goal and is pursued by an Ottawa defenceman. Marchand toe-picks and falls but complains he was fouled. Contact did not cause Marchand to fall.

9:51 Minor penalty instead of penalty shot; Sergei Gonchar (Ott) is assessed a hooking minor for taking down Marchand after receiving a quick breakaway pass. Gonchar hooks from a position behind Marchand and a penalty shot could easily have been awarded instead of a minor. (Chara scores on PP)

12:58 *Missed Call; Ott Gonchar strikes and takes down David Krejci (Bos) with a hard slash to the legs. Referee Martell turning/avoiding player contact in the corner near the play. Back ref, O'Rouke does not impose himself as back referee to make the call against Ottawa from a long distance away.

17:30 Good non-call; Joe Corvo (Bos) steps up and delivers a hard, clean, open-ice body check on Kyle Turris (Ott) at the centre red line. Ref O'Rourke looked on and correctly ruled no penalty on the play.

Second Period:

8:41 *Missed Call; Milan Lucic (Bos) steps up late and boards Eric Condra inside the blue line. The puck was being battled for up the wall and referee O'Rouke was focused on the puck action and would not have seen the hit delivered by Lucic from his obstructed view. Back referee responsibility. **This was the only infraction in the game that I would have called against Boston. This one was missed!

15:37 *Non call/Missed call; Nick Foligno (Ott) does a wide cut path with skates and trips Peverley. Could have very easily been deemed a trip - referee O'Rouke viewed the play from close proximity and chose otherwise. No penalty to Ottawa assessed.

Third Period:

00:46 Obvious trip called; Erik Karlsson trips Tyler Seguin on break toward the Ottawa goal.

5:20 Good non call; Sergei Gonchar (Ott) clamps on stick of Milan Lucis (Bos) in the corner and in clear view of referee O'Rourke. Gonchar does a 'catch and release' of the stick. Referee O'Rouke does not overreact and correctly allows play to continue without assessing a holding the stick penalty to Gonchar.

7:56 Diving Non Call on Chris Neil (Ott); Shortly after Dennis Seidenberg scored the 4th and ultimate game-winning goal with a centre ice slapshot, Ottawa attempted to draw a power play. Chris Kelly delivered a light, short cross-check shove to the upper arm of Chris Neil as the two players converged at center ice. Neil threw himself to the ice in an obvious embellishment attempt to draw a penalty. This is likely a case where the scrutiny referee O'Rourke might be enduring from the Karlsson diving report resulted in a non-call to Chris Neil. Given the pressure any referee would feel following a highly publicized incident, he would not look to provoke or draw further attention by making a call of this nature; warranted or otherwise. If referee O'Rourke held bias or contempt for the Ottawa Senators, this was a call he could step up and make ultimately rubbing salt in a fresh wound. That is not the case, folks!

12:50 Non call on Ottawa; Nick Foligno stabs at the puck and gets mostly the leg of Adam McQuaid (Bos) but a little puck. Referee O'Rourke was close by and deemed it not to be a penalty to the Ottawa player, likely given the fact that some contact with the puck was made.

17:12 Tripping Penalty to Ottawa: Nick Foligno used his active stick to take a bad penalty deep in the attacking zone when he pushed the leg of Rich Peverley while he was turning with the puck. The leg pressure caused Peverley to trip and fall. Even though Foligno complained, this was a penalty.

19:56 Aggressive Cross-Check Penalty; Jason Spezza let his frustration get the better of him and delivered a hard cross-check to the back of Johnny Boychuk. Obvious penalty but one that counts in the stats as number of penalties assessed to the Ottawa Senators.

In the final review of the officiating in this game, there is just one Bruins penalty that went uncalled/undetected (Lucic boarding). On the other side of the tally sheet, I observed five plays committed by the Ottawa players that could very well have been deemed penalties to support your theory of bias. (Gonchar slash, Foligno skate trip, Gonchar stick hold, Neil dive, Foligno trip on McQuaid). There were several good non-calls in this game for both sides where the referees utilized good judgment and did not overreact.

In answer to your questions as to how one team (Ottawa) could receive multiple penalty calls against while the Bruins were not deemed guilty of any, I offer you the same answer I gave to coach Bob Hartley one night in Colorado. Hartley informed me that his Colorado Avalanche had just taken their 5th penalty in a row while the other team had none. I responded to Bob that while math was never my best subject, if they were to commit the next infraction, it would make number 6.

I have had games where one team received all the penalties and their opponents none. Referees do not act as accountants to balance the books. It is not their job to make sure each team receives an equal number of penalties by the end of the game.

This conspiracy theory has gotten way out of hand. Mistakes are made in a game and they most often result from a deficient sight line when ruling on a play, just like the penalty shot that was called in error against Chris Phillips. Please believe me when I tell you they are honest mistakes. Each official takes his responsibility to uphold the integrity of the game very seriously.

Please swear at me but don't call me (or my former colleagues) "cheaters" (biased) or "gutless." There is no place for either in a striped jersey. 

In this case, your perception is not in touch with reality.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beezfan4life. Show Beezfan4life's posts

Re: Ottawa fans complaining

Good post Red....I had to watch the Ottawa feed last night. Denis Potvin had me in tears Listening to his crying about the officiating. His color commentating was less than steller.And I thought those two goofballs that call the Penguin games were bad. Potvin sounded like a ten year old

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Great find, Red.  Thanks.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

You're welcome. If you don't already, check out Fraser's columns. He has a new one each weekday. They're almost always this good (though this is the first time he has broken down an entire game). Glad to see someone of his credentials put his foot down on the conspiracy theory and call it out for the joke it is. And if you read the whole article on the website, he mentions some of his former colleagues are ticked at him for his blunt analysis, good way to know he's not playing favourites.

It's also worth noting that usually the replies Fraser gets to his articles are along the lines of "thanks for clearing that up" and "glad you could explain that call," or "this is the best column about hockey."

This article most of the responses, I'd presume by Sens fans, are "you don't know what you're talking about" and "You're bought by Jacobs too." Unbelievable.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1punchknockout. Show 1punchknockout's posts

In Response to Re: Ottawa fans complaining:
    Good post Red....I had to watch the Ottawa feed last night. Denis Potvin had me in tears Listening to his crying about the officiating. His color commentating was less than steller.And I thought those two goofballs that call the Penguin games were bad. Potvin sounded like a ten year old
    Posted by Beezfan4life

He's brutal. One of the worst commentators i've ever heard. I can't believe he made it through last year. He's got a very boring voice, and is as losy as Bob Cole.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RawrBear. Show RawrBear's posts

Love the breakdown, wish someone with credibility could do that for every game.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

If the tides were turned the league and world would be against the Bruins.

Refs were VERY good to the Bruins on this night.  How didnt Lucic get called.  I mean I was laughing...

Refs have good and bad nights.  They were very bad on this night...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Now let's all keep this article in mind the next time we think the Bruins clearly come out on the short end of the striped stick.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Shupe, are you an Ottowa fan? Fraser's analysis seemed to indicate the non-calls benefitted Ottowa, with only one call missed on Lucic. Did I misread your comment?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

shupe, DrCC.... did you take the time to read the article? fraser said the bruins should have had a couple MORE pp's! what is there to apologize for? i think the officials miss alot, and at times make the wrong call altogether. over an 82 game season, it all evens out. the refs were bad tuesday, and they'll be bad again. no conspiracy, just poor officiating. the funny part of it all is that sens fans thought the calls were pro-bruins, when actually more calls were missed in favor of the sens. all that being said, i bet fraser has an easier time determining what's an infraction with mutiple looks, and slo-mo. oh well, it's not perfect, never will be. as long as there are officials, there will be people complaining about their competence/ or percieved bias. of course, if the bruins had lost that game, with the refs missing a number of ott penalties, i'd be pi****d. but they won despite the missed calls, so it's easier to dimiss bad officiating. for now

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

My point was that when the officiating looks like it is heavily anti-Bruins, rather than whine about it or claim the officials were trying to benefit the other team, remember that 1) getting all the calls right in-game is not easy and 2) an impartial evaluation may show that our perception is incorrect.

More simply put, let's try not to be like the Senators fans after that game.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Thanks red, good article.  I think this is the climate that the Bruins play in now.  Stanley Cup champs and plenty of conspiracy theories propped up by Vancouver and Montreal fanbases and media.  Emotional fans of other teams are bound to jump on the bandwagon when they lose to the Bruins and the penalty calls are uneven.

shupe, re-read the 1st post in this thread from the OP, I think you skipped it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from davecarr. Show davecarr's posts

If the Bruins play rough fans north of the 49th refer to us as "goons" and "thugs". When we play clean, refs are biased and cheat. I guess the jealousy and resentment is still strong up there. Good to be the best.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

It looked to me like Boychuck got hurt by the cross check, not the type of thing that will be reviewed as it wasn't dramatic enough.

I'm not so sure about all the reviewing, but they should include that one.

I believe Boychuck is now day to day with a lower body injury.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

If the Bruins play rough fans north of the 49th refer to us as "goons" and "thugs". When we play clean, refs are biased and cheat. I guess the jealousy and resentment is still strong up there. Good to be the best.
    Posted by davecarr

I think im going to use this as my sig.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHARAWINSTHENORRIS. Show CHARAWINSTHENORRIS's posts

Posted by Beezfan4life

Agree totally. I had to put up with those two Ottawa knobs on the Centre Ice feed in Canada too. Man, they were annoying. Geez, I hope their car went off a cliff on the way home Tuesday night.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

It's comical how peoples perspective can slant their view of events. I enjoyed reading that break down.  Contrary to what fans of other teams think, I don't think the Bruins are getting any breaks this year.  Their reputation has (unjustifiably)grown as bullies, and they now lead the league in PIM.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Posted by davecarr

This post hits the nail on the head, not just in Canada, but league wide.You just have to read an article about the B's on any one of the teams hometown newspapers after one of their games, win or lose, to see it for yourself. Its frustrating, but at the same time amusing.The Bruins might as well be known as the Boston Sith Lords, with Darth Quaider as their leader. Its great to be the Champs !!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccoul. Show ccoul's posts

Good post mate. I was reading it at lunch time on the tsn site. I posted my opinion on their side.. Yet to be posted. Living in Ottawa myself I hear the same whynning from Habs lovers and leafs nation clowns.. So anyways, there was a blackout on NHL live online because of local broadcast an the worse that I have ever heard during the game was Dennis Podvin, color commentator for the Sens calling ur murders and against the bruins. No freekin wonder Sens fans and Habs fan think they are being robbed by refs when you hear commentators calling out the refs the way he did. And we are talking about Dennis Podvin himself, former NHLer. Get rid of these suck holes on the mics and let the fans decided what is or is not! Juss saying Chrisonmojo.blogspot.com

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

red - Brilliant.  Takes us inside the game just that much more.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from LordByron77. Show LordByron77's posts

In Response to Re: Ottawa fans complaining : This post hits the nail on the head, not just in Canada, but league wide.You just have to read an article about the B's on any one of the teams hometown newspapers after one of their games, win or lose, to see it for yourself. Its frustrating, but at the same time amusing.The Bruins might as well be known as the Boston Sith Lords, with Darth Quaider as their leader. Its great to be the Champs !!

Love It!!

Posted by 50belowzero

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

DrCC is spot on....I will remember.  Red thanks!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Best line from Fraser " This conspiracy theory has gotten way out of hand. "

The guys of Sportsnet are not any better,  they said how can the most penalized team in the league not have a penalty.  That's just dumb!
    The Bruins PIM are high because they are one of the teams that has the most fights  and not for 2mins penalties.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"Kerry Fraser decided to go through the entire game, play by play, and illustrate what calls were missed, what were good calls, and what were good non-calls."

He would never second guess himself he were asked to critique his own games. I mean the man still apologizes to Leafs fans for his supposed non-call during 1993 Kings-Lufas game 7. Fix your hair Kerry, fix your hair now cause you're on the internet.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

"Kerry Fraser decided to go through the entire game, play by play, and illustrate what calls were missed, what were good calls, and what were good non-calls." He would never second guess himself he were asked to critique his own games. I mean the man still apologizes to Leafs fans for his supposed non-call during 1993 Kings-Lufas game 7. Fix your hair Kerry, fix your hair now cause you're on the internet.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

Ummm... he does second guess himself, and realizes that you can't get everything right, precisely because he realizes he screwed up in 93. Read his book, part of the reason he never called it is because Gilmour himself said it was clean at the time, and neither of them thought it was anything different until they saw the replay. He realized he screwed up and it cost a team a shot at the Cup. That would haunt anyone a bit, but no one has 360 degree vision.

Sections
Shortcuts