Our best S/O player not selected against Budai ??? Why ?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

Re: Our best S/O player not selected against Budai ??? Why ?

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:

Brandon Sutter has a 100% rate ( 2 for 2 ) in shootouts for the Pens.

Dwight King for the Kings also. ( 1 for 1 ).

There's a reason why they're not at the top of the list for more shootouts for their teams. Better offensively gifted players usually go first.

I see no problem with Julien, Bylsma or Sutter .........and everyone else with the title of NHL Head Coach letting their best players try to win the game with this thought process. 

If Smith was in the top 3 and not scored then there'd be those who would've complained about that also.

btw........ Andrei Marcov has the same percentage as Smith. (1 for 1........ 100%)

Was Therrien also incorrect for not putting in his so-called best shootout player ?

Chow ...give me a break , dont be stupid ...Reilly Smith is probably one of the most talented offensive player in the NHL ...after 10 trials everyone on this board will go nuts about him ...true hockey experts see it way ahead of everybody ....so keep this post , mark my words ...from now on CJ will try Reilly Smith in the S/O and will never regret it ...my only concern is if he would have used him last night we would have probably beat the scabs ...but now I have to live with CJ's decision and survive to the insults and stupid mails and phone calls all day long here in Montreal....ANOTHER GREAT PREDICTION FROM STANLEY (red please take note)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

In response to MrHulot's comment:

Now I get it - Reilly Smith is the new Blake Wheeler!

But I agree that the B's should alter their shootout approach. The other teams know exactly what's coming, which increases the opposition's chances to take the extra point. There have to be better options than picking virtually the same trio every time. It seems that the Bruins simply don't have a player with dazzling moves who will deke the goalies out of their jockstraps each time, and it also appears that CJ does not have much of a plan for the "skills competition". He tried Cedfano a couple of times in the past (and he even scored once, afaik), maybe he should pick Krug or Hamilton. If you don't have someone who will surprise the goalie with an array of weird moves a la Patrick Kane, then try to surprise them with someone who hasn't been used that often and, of course, has at least a chance to bury the puck - I would not try Miller, McQuaid or Potter in the shootout. BTW: Has anybody ever seen Fat take a penalty shot?

The new Blake Wheeler ??   No ...much more talented, much more heart and much more potential....call him the new Ryan Johansen if you wish ...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from marco0863. Show marco0863's posts

In response to StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's comment:

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:

Brandon Sutter has a 100% rate ( 2 for 2 ) in shootouts for the Pens.

Dwight King for the Kings also. ( 1 for 1 ).

There's a reason why they're not at the top of the list for more shootouts for their teams. Better offensively gifted players usually go first.

I see no problem with Julien, Bylsma or Sutter .........and everyone else with the title of NHL Head Coach letting their best players try to win the game with this thought process. 

If Smith was in the top 3 and not scored then there'd be those who would've complained about that also.

btw........ Andrei Marcov has the same percentage as Smith. (1 for 1........ 100%)

Was Therrien also incorrect for not putting in his so-called best shootout player ?

Chow ...give me a break , dont be stupid ...Reilly Smith is probably one of the most talented offensive player in the NHL ...after 10 trials everyone on this board will go nuts about him ...true hockey experts see it way ahead of everybody ....so keep this post , mark my words ...from now on CJ will try Reilly Smith in the S/O and will never regret it ...my only concern is if he would have used him last night we would have probably beat the scabs ...but now I have to live with CJ's decision and survive to the insults and stupid mails and phone calls all day long here in Montreal....ANOTHER GREAT PREDICTION FROM STANLEY (red please take note)

Stanley , ryan joh Is one fine talent ... I think ur estimation of Smith is too much

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from socca10. Show socca10's posts

Krejci, Bergeron, Marchand, Iggy, Soderberg... these have been the B's best offensive players over the past month or more. I have no doubt that Reilly Smith might have taken one of the next couple of attempts had it gone that far. But CJ is pretty consistent by rewarding/going with the guys who are playing the best at that time.

It's easy to say in hindsight that those were poor choices, because their attempts weren't that good. But the SO is still a crapshoot and you can't fault a coach for going with his best-performing players.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Poor shoot attempts by all of them.  I wouldn't have put in Krejci last night , he looked a little off on his scoring chances he got in close .

I would like to see Eriksson more often.  Finally I got to see Marchand and wasn't his best move.

They must practice shoot outs a little and Claude , staff know whom usually does well and that who they chose along with maybe a player that is on a hot streak.

As for Reilly ..... he's slowly fading away, been invisible last few games. Although maybe Claude should put some new farces on the shoot out.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Seemed to me the plan was to beat Budaj 5 hole in the shootout since the first 3 all attempted to go there. Bergeron almost always tries to tuck it in by the left post but he too tried 5 hole. It had to be the plan, but Budaj to his credit stood tall. I think Iginla went higher than he wanted to.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

In response to BsLegion's comment:

Poor shoot attempts by all of them.  I wouldn't have put in Krejci last night , he looked a little off on his scoring chances he got in close .

I would like to see Eriksson more often.  Finally I got to see Marchand and wasn't his best move.

They must practice shoot outs a little and Claude , staff know whom usually does well and that who they chose along with maybe a player that is on a hot streak.

As for Reilly ..... he's slowly fading away, been invisible last few games. Although maybe Claude should put some new farces on the shoot out.

On a break away I'll take Reilly Smith number 1 ....my number 2 Paille...number I would change my shooters because everybody in the NHL mostly the goaltenders have seen Bergeron's moves and know what to,expect...Smith has been fantastic on his attempt and scored, I would love to see Smith, Paille, Soderberg for a change ...but CJ has much as I like him is way too conservative to make that kind of move....so we keep losing in S/O ...Thank God there is no S/O in the playoffs

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

On a break away I'll take Reilly Smith number 1 ....my number 2 Paille...number I would change my shooters because everybody in the NHL mostly the goaltenders have seen Bergeron's moves and know what to,expect...Smith has been fantastic on his attempt and scored, I would love to see Smith, Paille, Soderberg for a change ...but CJ has much as I like him is way too conservative to make that kind of move....so we keep losing in S/O ...Thank God there is no S/O in the playoffs

Paille probably is the bruins worst breakaway shooter.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I have no issue with Smith taking a shootout attempt, and no issue with him not taking one.  He has one attempt.  He lost the puck, got lucky, found it, and took advantage of how hard that is to read for a goaltender.  Nothing in that one attempt should convince anyone that Smith is a shootout stud. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from marco0863. Show marco0863's posts

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:

Paille probably is the bruins worst breakaway shooter.

True.. he gets quite a few but always seems  to miss

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

"Paille probably is the bruins worst breakaway shooter."

Based on what?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

I have no issue with Smith taking a shootout attempt, and no issue with him not taking one.  He has one attempt.  He lost the puck, got lucky, found it, and took advantage of how hard that is to read for a goaltender.  Nothing in that one attempt should convince anyone that Smith is a shootout stud. 

Nothing in his season should convince anyone of anything.  He had one great 20 day stretch. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from socca10. Show socca10's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

"Paille probably is the bruins worst breakaway shooter."

Based on what?

I used to watch Paille skate and think "how is this kid on the fourth line?!?" Then you realize, it's because he can't finish consistently.

I love Paille's skating, speed, and work ethic, but I've always thought that if he could bury more of those great scoring chances he creates, he'd be seeing more ice time and playing as a top-6 forward.

I think he's gotten better at breakaways, but I wouldn't exactly call him clinical.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NBbruinsfan. Show NBbruinsfan's posts

Regarding Paille I always kind of felt that way as well A finisher he is not but I alwas keep hopeing. Smith may have more finish but still not enough time. We should start to get a good idea his next full season.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from marco0863. Show marco0863's posts

In response to NBbruinsfan's comment:

Regarding Paille I always kind of felt that way as well A finisher he is not but I alwas keep hopeing. Smith may have more finish but still not enough time. We should start to get a good idea his next full season.

That makes sense!!! Next seasin we eill get better idea

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

I'm glad we don't have shootouts in the playoffs.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

BINGO

Claude doesnt have choice anymore ...Smith is now 2/2 ...top in the team top in the NHL 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

The Bs do everything to not do a shootout.  The result is more wins this year.  Three forwards and a defenseman in OT is mighty fine to this fan.  With the play of the second line last night, do you think CJ was rewarding the second line.  I do.  Lastly I am so pleased shootouts are not in the playoffs!  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

What a move by Smith against the Flyers ...convince now Mr Bookboy ??

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beezfan4life. Show Beezfan4life's posts

What a move by Smith against the Flyers ...convince now Mr Bookboy ??

I'm convinced your a troll .

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Bergeron goal in the shootout was awesome. I was pleased to see Smith score as well but his move paled in comparison to Bergeron's.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

The copy machine in the office has stopped working twice recently.  

Both times I opened it up, found the paper jam and got it working again.  I'm 2 for 2.

Therefore I am the greatest copy machine technician around and could fix any broken copier.

Take it to the bank.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from socca10. Show socca10's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

Both times I opened it up, found the paper jam and got it working again.  I'm 2 for 2.

Therefore I am the greatest copy machine technician around and could fix any broken copier.

Take it to the bank.

Please come fix my copier.

What we don't know is whether Smith stinks at penalty shots in practice (if the B's even practice them at all). Will one lucky SO goal and one pretty good one change how often he shoots? Maybe. But it's silly to say the Bruins success or failure depends on the shootout percentage of a 2nd-year player.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to socca10's comment:

What we don't know is whether Smith stinks at penalty shots in practice (if the B's even practice them at all). Will one lucky SO goal and one pretty good one change how often he shoots? Maybe. But it's silly to say the Bruins success or failure depends on the shootout percentage of a 2nd-year player.

No problem.  Did you try kicking it, swearing, and then pacing in front of it?

Smith's whole MO is that he has good hands, a scoring touch, and seems to be unfazed by pressure.  So it would be no surprise that he's good at shootouts.

But given 25 attempts, do I think he'd be statistically better than Bergeron/Marchand/Krejci etc.??  No.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to socca10's comment:

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

Take it to the bank.

I've seen the B's practise 7x since CJ's been the coach. The only time I see seen S.O attempts is when there's some players deciding who's buying lunch. I've ssen one drill where the pucks are passed from the corner to the blue line & another player comes from the opposite side of the puck. And I think this is for guys coming in late. Like Mezaro's goal yesterday. 

Sections
Shortcuts