Our First round draft pick

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ramz. Show Ramz's posts

Our First round draft pick

Now that we lost our first  pick in the draft this year for the Jagr trade to the stars, lets all pretend that KRUUUUUUG was our pick this year as the number 1 pick. I'm happy with that.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

Re: Our First round draft pick

Oh ...just realized that our 2nd rounder becomes a 1st rounder nowthat we are in the conference final.....well not only Krug but Bart has been great as well no wonder P-Bruins got eliminated after we took their 2 best Ds.....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

And I believe we also traded our 2nd round pick havent we ??

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ramz. Show Ramz's posts

In response to StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's comment:

I don't know about our second pick maybe someone here may know!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

And you want to be a GM ?

You'd be out having a coffee and doughnut when it would be the Bruins turn to pick.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from saultont. Show saultont's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:

And you want to be a GM ?

You'd be out having a coffee and doughnut when it would be the Bruins turn to pick.

And a conditional 2nd rounder from NYI if Thomas plays one game in NHL.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to saultont's comment:

That 2nd rounder won't be coming through the door anytime soon. The NYI's season is over.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from saultont. Show saultont's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:

In response to saultont's comment:

That 2nd rounder won't be coming through the door anytime soon. The NYI's season is over.

Right you are for this coming June.....possibly next year...thanks for the correction Chowdah.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Yep, 2014 or 2015 depending on how it plays out. 

Traded the second, but now that they're in the conference finals, Boston keeps the second rounder and gives Dallas the first instead.

Let's remember that that first rounder is now 26-30.  That's why you're willing to got there in the first place.  Your odds of getting an NHL player are probably pretty similar drafting 26-30 as 47-56 (the range you expect to be in if you're out before the conference finals).   As a small sample, reaching back far enough that guys are all pros now and have mostly had a chance to develop a bit:

2009 - Dylan Olson, Carter Ashton and Simon Despres are the late first rounders who've seen NHL ice (more than a cup of coffee).  In that 2nd round range, Dmitri Orlov, Richard Panik and Stefan Elliott.

2008 - John Carlson and Viktor Tikhonov vs Derek Stepan, Travis Hamonic, and Marco Scandella.

2007 - Brendan Smith and Jim O'Brien vs Oscar Moeller and T.J. Galliardi.

2006 - Nick Foligno vs. Shawn Matthias, MILAN LUCIC, and Artem Anisimov. 

On the whole, the quality of available players doesn't seem to drop significantly in this window.  So no big deal.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Nice stats, Book.  And thanks for including my buddy from FLA!*

*Shawn Matthias is not really my friend.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatHockeyGuy. Show ThatHockeyGuy's posts

Well, the Bruins don't typically select well in the mid to late first round anyway. During this regime, they drafted Caron (25), Colborne (16), and Subban (24) in that range. Caron and Colborne haven't exactly panned out. Subban is still a toss up.

In the Colborne draft (2008), they bypassed the likes of Michael Del Zotto (20), Jordan Eberle (22, and the guy I wanted them to draft at the time), John Carlson (27), and Justin Schultz (43).

In the Caron draft (2009), they bypassed the likes of Kyle Palmeiri (26) and Ryan O'Reilly (33). This draft wasn't very deep however, so take this with a grain of salt.

It seems as though they will or have had more success with their mid to late second round picks (Milan Lucic, Ryan Spooner) during this regime.

One could say that historically speaking, they have had more success drafting in the late second round than the late first round.

Interpret that how you like.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickyHussle. Show RickyHussle's posts

In response to ThatHockeyGuy's comment:

Well, the Bruins don't typically select well in the mid to late first round anyway. During this regime, they drafted Caron (25), Colborne (16), and Subban (24) in that range. Caron and Colborne haven't exactly panned out. Subban is still a toss up.

In the Colborne draft (2008), they bypassed the likes of Michael Del Zotto (20), Jordan Eberle (22, and the guy I wanted them to draft at the time), John Carlson (27), and Justin Schultz (43).

In the Caron draft (2009), they bypassed the likes of Kyle Palmeiri (26) and Ryan O'Reilly (33). This draft wasn't very deep however, so take this with a grain of salt.

It seems as though they will or have had more success with their mid to late second round picks (Milan Lucic, Ryan Spooner) during this regime.

One could say that historically speaking, they have had more success drafting in the late second round than the late first round.

Interpret that how you like.

I would not classify any of your three picks in the negative category.  Caron is currently the closest.  I believe that Colbourne is a regular on the leafs next year.  Subban has 3 or 4 years before we start talking bust.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I've been critical of their drafting, but they are good, and I would argue the best at obtaining picks in other ways.

1) trading for prospects.  Obtaining Bart, Boychuk and McQuaid was absolutely brilliant.  Anyone can second guess draft picks and 20/20 hindsight makes that much easier.  But who saw these guys and got them other than the Bruins?

2) Siging undrafted guys, despite all the Riendeau fun we had he never amounted to anything from an NHL point of view.  Failed experiment, but good try.  Then there's the huge success of Krug.

How did they sign Krug when he must have had an offer from practically every NHL team?  

And how about doing the negotiation for Soderberg? 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

Yep, 2014 or 2015 depending on how it plays out. 

Traded the second, but now that they're in the conference finals, Boston keeps the second rounder and gives Dallas the first instead.

Let's remember that that first rounder is now 26-30.  That's why you're willing to got there in the first place.  Your odds of getting an NHL player are probably pretty similar drafting 26-30 as 47-56 (the range you expect to be in if you're out before the conference finals).   As a small sample, reaching back far enough that guys are all pros now and have mostly had a chance to develop a bit:

2009 - Dylan Olson, Carter Ashton and Simon Despres are the late first rounders who've seen NHL ice (more than a cup of coffee).  In that 2nd round range, Dmitri Orlov, Richard Panik and Stefan Elliott.

2008 - John Carlson and Viktor Tikhonov vs Derek Stepan, Travis Hamonic, and Marco Scandella.

2007 - Brendan Smith and Jim O'Brien vs Oscar Moeller and T.J. Galliardi.

2006 - Nick Foligno vs. Shawn Matthias, MILAN LUCIC, and Artem Anisimov. 

On the whole, the quality of available players doesn't seem to drop significantly in this window.  So no big deal.

tikhonov will be a good NHLer once the coyotes wise up and trade him, or bring him over. he's been absolutely tearing up the KHL

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatHockeyGuy. Show ThatHockeyGuy's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

I've been critical of their drafting, but they are good, and I would argue the best at obtaining picks in other ways.

1) trading for prospects.  Obtaining Bart, Boychuk and McQuaid was absolutely brilliant.  Anyone can second guess draft picks and 20/20 hindsight makes that much easier.  But who saw these guys and got them other than the Bruins?

2) Siging undrafted guys, despite all the Riendeau fun we had he never amounted to anything from an NHL point of view.  Failed experiment, but good try.  Then there's the huge success of Krug.

How did they sign Krug when he must have had an offer from practically every NHL team?  

And how about doing the negotiation for Soderberg? 

They gave him the best deal.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

They were the reigning Cup champs, gave him a $1.7M NHL contract and guaranteed he'd be on the NHL roster for the rest of that year.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Win-Jets. Show Win-Jets's posts

How did Bruins get Wheeler for nothing.Great move Got Pev. & Cambell.

for him I think

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I have to think Garth Snow goes after Thomas with a real nice extension to help with the enticement of ol Timmah. I say he plays for the improved Islanders. Two 2nd rounders is good draft.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to Win-Jets' comment:

for him I think

campbell came over from florida in the horton trade

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatHockeyGuy. Show ThatHockeyGuy's posts

In response to Win-Jets' comment:

for him I think

He didn't want to sign with Phoenix, so he waited the designated three years until he could sign with any team of his choosing (since Phoenix lost his rights after those three years expired).

Then the B's came in and offered him the best deal.

It's a lot like the Justin Schultz situation this past year.

And they got Pev and Valabik in the Wheeler/Stuart deal. Honestly, player for player, you could make the case that Atlanta (now Winnipeg) won that deal.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

I have to think Garth Snow goes after Thomas with a real nice extension to help with the enticement of ol Timmah. I say he plays for the improved Islanders. Two 2nd rounders is good draft.

I highly doubt the 2nd rounder would be this years. and i also highly doubt any NHL team is going to give him a nice extension. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatHockeyGuy. Show ThatHockeyGuy's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

Couldn't they just let him go to free agency, then sign him?

I don't believe they would have to give up a pick to retain him in that situation.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to ThatHockeyGuy's comment:

Couldn't they just let him go to free agency, then sign him?

I don't believe they would have to give up a pick to retain him in that situation.

Well the Islanders have his rights so that means they could also spin Thomas at the draft. I wouldn't let him another team for nothing.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

They were the reigning Cup champs, gave him a $1.7M NHL contract and guaranteed he'd be on the NHL roster for the rest of that year.

I would be curious to see what his other offers were.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from heyoo. Show heyoo's posts

We can consider our first round pick our two college fa signings. Chris Casto who I thought was in the top five of the fa available, kid will be a solid dmen for the bruins sooner rather than later. Matt Lindblad a decent power forward could develop into a nice third liner in a couple seasons. As for krug he appears to be the heir apparent to the pp I'm ready to hand over the keys to him. 

Sections
Shortcuts