Outdoor games

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Outdoor games

Regardless of whether or not they're now watered down. They'll sell-out everyone of them. I find it a little lopsided since their inception. Pitts, Rangers, Philly, Chicago, Washington & the Red Wings all getting multiple appearances. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: Outdoor games

I'm over it.  I probably won't even watch.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

Canucks v. Sens at BC Place? 

How many reasons why this is a dumb idea?

To start, I can virtually guarantee that it'll be raining on March 2nd, so the roof will be closed (thus, it won't be an outdoor game).

Ottawa?  Not really a traditional rivalry here -- sure everyone hates Ottawa, but that's the politicians, not so much the hockey team.

I'd be really, really surprised if this game sells out.  I certainly won't be lining up to go.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to 49-North's comment:

Canucks v. Sens at BC Place? 

How many reasons why this is a dumb idea?

To start, I can virtually guarantee that it'll be raining on March 2nd, so the roof will be closed (thus, it won't be an outdoor game).

Ottawa?  Not really a traditional rivalry here -- sure everyone hates Ottawa, but that's the politicians, not so much the hockey team.

I'd be really, really surprised if this game sells out.  I certainly won't be lining up to go.

49, every Canucks fan I've talked to hates this idea. BC Place in March will be an indoor game to start with. I can get behind the Sens, it'll be two of the three teams left up here that have yet to play outdoors, but I will admit the the Jets 1.0 were more of a rival for the Canucks than the Sens have ever been. The rationale I saw was that it was the Sens that the Millionaires beat to win the Cup.

Anywhose, a hockey game during a monsoon just makes no damn sense. There's no way this sells out.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Canadians cry a river because it's been almost exclusively American teams in these games.  Now you get one and you're unhappy with the opponent and the location.

Back to the pond for you!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

Dan Craig's going to have a busy winter....

once a year makes it an event....

more is overkill....

“People think common sense is common - but it's not.”

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Canadians cry a river because it's been almost exclusively American teams in these games.  Now you get one and you're unhappy with the opponent and the location.

Any other city makes sense NAS, just not Vancouver. Raining for 40 days and 40 nights isn't a biblical reference up here - it's a routine February and March. I don't mind sitting in the rain, but it doesn't do much for ice. Sound like a logistical nightmare if they keep the roof open. Hell, have it on the Rideau Canal for all I care. The Lower Mainland is pretty much the only place in the entire country where an outdoor game just won't work right.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

BINGO!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

The first ever modern outdoor game was Oilers vs Skabs...at Commonwealth Stadium where 50 thousand watched in -30c...No. We don't whine about location and opponent. It's the fact that it's not an outdoor game. Vancouver people have no idea what outdoor hockey is.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to Stuke50's comment:

[QUOTE]

The first ever modern outdoor game was Oilers vs Skabs...at Commonwealth Stadium where 50 thousand watched in -30c...No. We don't whine about location and opponent. It's the fact that it's not an outdoor game. Vancouver people have no idea what outdoor hockey is.

[/QUOTE]

Actually it was Michigan I think.

Does it really rain in Vancouver that much in Feb and march? The what was Steve Nash talking about in all those commercials last Olymics when he told me how beautiful it was and come visit? He mentioned nothing about about 40 days of rain.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Yes, Stuke, the Heritage Classic.  Who could forget the goalies with the toques?

A history lesson will never be needed in conversation with me!

Since then, however, the "Winter Classic" has basically been in American cities with American teams.  I believe the teams have been Pittsburgh vs. Philly, Pittsburgh vs. Washington, Pittsburgh vs. NYR, and the rest of the games were Pittsburgh vs. Pittsburgh.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

There was also the other Heritage classic with the Flames vs. Habs.

I don't know of any of my friends complaining about not getting the Winter Classic. I do know a few who wished the Heritage Classic was more frequent, but it is an infrequent complaint.

But my complaint is not about that. It's that it's Vancouver at the beginning of March. You may as well just give the players snorkels - they'll have to close the roof, stopping it from being an outdoor game. It'll just be a game in a larger venue with poorer sight lines. All the other Canadian cities in the league have outdoor facilities that could potentially work - go to one of those places for the third Heritage Classic..

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from zamboni24. Show zamboni24's posts

It's hockey -- Don't care who's playing or where the games are -- I'll be tuning in from the comfort of my cave. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to red75's comment:

There was also the other Heritage classic with the Flames vs. Habs.

I don't know of any of my friends complaining about not getting the Winter Classic. I do know a few who wished the Heritage Classic was more frequent, but it is an infrequent complaint.

But my complaint is not about that. It's that it's Vancouver at the beginning of March. You may as well just give the players snorkels - they'll have to close the roof, stopping it from being an outdoor game. It'll just be a game in a larger venue with poorer sight lines. All the other Canadian cities in the league have outdoor facilities that could potentially work - go to one of those places for the third Heritage Classic..

Red, why are you posting the same info over and over again?  Your disdain for the location is turning into Shupe vs. Rask's contract.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

The average temp in Vancouver in March is around 48 degrees.  10C for you.  Anyway, they'll close the roof and make the ice.  An 30 minutes before people arrive, they'll open the roof.  If the average temperature is 48 degrees, the ice will be fine.  I've been to a few hockey games, and rarely is the temp in the building below 60.

If it rains, they'll close the roof.  Fans still get to see a game with 55K people in attendance in an odd venue, giving them a different experience than any other time.  That's what it's all about.  I'm going to guess that no one in attendance is going to have their life ruined if the roof has to close.

Drama, drama, drama.

I'm sure the NHL put a lot of thought into whether or not it would work.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

The whole outdoor gm thing has "jumped the shark".

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

The multiple games really hurts the interest level this year I think.

Still have to go to the Detroit game this year... Red Wing Wife wont hear of any other plan.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to SoxFanInIL's comment:

The multiple games really hurts the interest level this year I think.

Still have to go to the Detroit game this year... Red Wing Wife wont hear of any other plan.

You should go post on the Freep site.  You're done with this team of chokers, right?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

There aren't as many actual "New Years Day college football games" on New Years Day anymore so i'll watch it. If it gets rained out though, the NHL will get laughed at for years.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

Yes, Stuke, the Heritage Classic.  Who could forget the goalies with the toques?

A history lesson will never be needed in conversation with me!

Since then, however, the "Winter Classic" has basically been in American cities with American teams.  I believe the teams have been Pittsburgh vs. Philly, Pittsburgh vs. Washington, Pittsburgh vs. NYR, and the rest of the games were Pittsburgh vs. Pittsburgh.

No sirree !  Your right there NAS...I'm with you. They are lame and I scratch my head when I hear of the attendance at these events and wonder, why ? But who cares. It's a day that you know ahead of time that I have other things to do. Like clean my oven.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucdufour. Show lucdufour's posts

I've been psyched hockey has taken over New Year's day, an otherwise boring sports day in past years.  Im now hatching a plan for the NHL to set up some kind of event to replace ESPY night.   One  other genius thought:  Why not move the outdoor Vancouver game another hour or two north where it snows incessantly during those 40 days?  There has to be a venue up there to support such an event, and I'm sure people would be willing to drive the extra 100 miles.  i know its about dollars but having the event in a wintery environment (Vancouver Proper is not) should be an important consideration...otherwise just have the games in Tampa.

Luc Dufour was as tough as Nails.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Kings Ducks at Dodgers stadium is the one I'm wondering about.

Sections
Shortcuts