Outhit again?!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wesman. Show wesman's posts

Outhit again?!

Okay, didn't think I'd have to do this, but it's time bring out that same tired, broken record.  Not that one from my sister's Olivia Newton John's collection, but close...
    Have the Bruins of 2011-2102 devalued physical hockey? 

I honestly can't remember the last time they were credited with more hits than an opponent for a game. After all, it was their physical style--to a man--that really put the Canucks on their heels last spring, and it seemed to be a key ingredient in turning series.  I'm not calling them soft, because I know they've got eacher other's backs (tops of the team fighting majors list) but I think consistent stats like this represent troubling patterns (i.e., a reactive vs. proactive team, one that can be worn down, players taking shifts off or relying on others to do the dirty work, etc.).

This trend bother anyone else?  Or is this criticism misplaced?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Re: Outhit again?!

The only game I thought the opponent was really trying to outhit Boston was that Philly game when Horton got injured - they were clearly trying to run the B's.

Winning and physical play go hand in hand with this team, no question about it.  I don't think they have "devalued" it, I just think they've gotten a little lazy.  They know what they need to do to succeed and they know it's important, they're just not executing right now.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from wesman. Show wesman's posts

Re: Outhit again?

Yeah, nail, I don't think they are doing it conscsiously, but it does seem they are in one of those funks where they just aren't committted to taking the body--just not like they're not committed to crashing the net.  They skate as well as any Bruin team I've seen in a long time, but as Brick has say, you can skate and hit. Just hope they don't forget how effective pasting an opponent is--not only in producing turnovers and drawing penalties, but also getting the home crowd into a game. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Re: Outhit again?!

All good points.  They've lost their swagger a little bit. They'll get it back. 

Sections
Shortcuts