Ovechkin is a -31. Repeat -31!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Don-Bruino. Show Don-Bruino's posts

Ovechkin is a -31. Repeat -31!

-31!!!! That is disgusting.

If his teammates don't know the number, I'm sure they can see it by the way he plays.

No wonder his team is sinking. He truly is a team killer: his own.

He has lots of talent to please the peripheral hockey fans, to true hockey fans not so much. And if he's on your favourite team, surely, he must horrify you by now.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Re: Ovechkin is a -31. Repeat -31!

Next up on the list of replies to this thread ?

If he were a Bruin............autocup.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In 2006-07, Bergeron was -28, worst on the team.

He had 70 points.

Currently, Ovechkin is -31, worst on the team.

He has 68 points.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He had 70 points.

He has 68 points.

[/QUOTE]

Bruins, under Dave Lewis, finished 13th in the conference and 23rd in the NHL.  That terrible performance, where they finished -70 in goal differential, earned them the 8th overall pick in the 2007 NHL Draft where they selected the immortal Zach Hamill.

Conversely, the Caps are 9th in the conference and firmly in the playoff hunt.  Overall, they are a -6 in goal diffential.  

Bergeron played in a much worse situation, and was not quite as bad. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

First glance... Washington's forwards are allergic to the defensive zone.

Washington's top 4 defensemen (TOI) are a combined -28 and their top 4 forwards (TOI) are a combined -65. YUCK!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

It only goes to show you how the old saying is, your only as good as who you play with, and that is directly from the system there playing and in washingtons case, since when would or did ovi listen to oates on how to play his game. ? Ovi plays for ovi.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Don-Bruino. Show Don-Bruino's posts

[QUOTE]

He had 70 points.

He has 68 points.

[/QUOTE]

So, NAS, what you are telling me is that Ovechkin has a hard head and doesn't get it.

Bergeron was a 21-year-old learning the ropes back then and learned enough to improve and win a Cup.

Ovechkin, on the other hand, has been playing for 10 years, scored lots of goals, making $10 million a year, but hasn't won anything, and probably doesn't care if he ever does. He was supposed to lead Russia to gold, but nothing doing there, not even a medal. He doesn't care, therefore, he must have a hard head.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

When you are anchored by mike green what do you expect.  Hes terrible.  Looks pretty skating but is terrible in his own end.  Washingtons defense has no one anyone is scared of.  They will never do well until they get someone back there that completely can control the game.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Gee, I might still take him, if I could get him

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

When you are anchored by mike green what do you expect.  Hes terrible.  Looks pretty skating but is terrible in his own end.  Washingtons defense has no one anyone is scared of.  They will never do well until they get someone back there that completely can control the game.  

[/QUOTE]

Green, Alzner and Carlson have played most games.  The rest of the defense has been a revolving door of average/below average players.

But, you know, Ovechkin's job as a winger is to keep all pucks out of his net.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Leonis has got replace McPhee at the end of the season. His direction has just gone down every year.Shup is right, soft as butta on the back end.

During 2010, the year that the Caps looked like they might have the team to make a run, Ovechkin was a plus- 45. This year will be Ovechkin's 5th 50 goal season. An easy task during the hybrid-trap era.

Nah send him back to the KHL what a bum!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Leonis has got replace McPhee at the end of the season. His direction has just gone down every year.Shup is right, soft as butta on the back end.

During 2010, the year that the Caps looked like they might have the team to make a run, Ovechkin was a plus- 45. This year will be Ovechkin's 5th 50 goal season. An easy task during the hybrid-trap era.

Nah send him back to the KHL what a bum!

[/QUOTE]

Thing is kel is that the cookie jar is extemely full on talent but its mostly up front.  Two ways this goes.  Let mcphee use the large cap space he has to build onto what is a solid team.  Or bring in someone new.  Which likely means oates could be toast as well.  

i really like washingtons fwd group but they need that #2 center.  They have never had that.  They need a vet in net to help holtby.  And they must build that back end.  Thats the biggest need.  

The Caps could be an interesting team this offseason.  I dont think they have enough games to make it.  Plus they go into the west triangle then get teams like the bruins down the stretch.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:[QUOTE] Leonis has got replace McPhee at the end of the season. His direction has just gone down every year.Shup is right, soft as butta on the back end. [/QUOTE]

Thing is kel is that the cookie jar is extemely full on talent but its mostly up front.  [/QUOTE]

It would be good to be Kelv as long as i'm not pulling traffic duty or diving around a crease.

Not so sure he would want to live a D O double Gs life though Wink

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

In response to shuperman's comment:[QUOTE] Leonis has got replace McPhee at the end of the season. His direction has just gone down every year.Shup is right, soft as butta on the back end.

Thing is kel is that the cookie jar is extemely full on talent but its mostly up front.  [/QUOTE]

It would be good to be Kelv as long as i'm not pulling traffic duty or diving around a crease.

Not so sure he would want to live a D O double Gs life though Wink

[/QUOTE]

Sorry, you know who i meant.  

Not sure any team at the moment has 4 better RW then the caps.  Ovi, brouwer, ward, wilson. Pretty Solid

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

[QUOTE]

Green, Alzner and Carlson have played most games.  The rest of the defense has been a revolving door of average/below average players.

[/QUOTE]

It's everyones job to keep the puck out of your net. I think Ovechkin is a fabulous hockey player, but a very selfish one. He used to be fun & exciting. He used to deserve his Hart Trophies. The only think he deserves is a good kick in the ar se! Have you watched him this year? If the Caps aren't on the pp; he lollygags like nobodies business. If I was Teddy I'd be telling him he better start playing for his salary a lot better than this, or he can go back & play for any Olympic Team he wants in any year & stay there! 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Ovechkin has been on the ice for 57 5v5 goals against.  That's nearly a goal a game.  I know you can't pin it all on him, but if your top star/league goal leader is getting scored against that often, you've got a big problem with your team.  His PP numbers aren't nearly enough to make up for it.

For comparison's sake, the Bruins' "leader" in this category is Boychuk, with 35.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It's everyones job to keep the puck out of your net. I think Ovechkin is a fabulous hockey player, but a very selfish one. He used to be fun & exciting. He used to deserve his Hart Trophies. The only think he deserves is a good kick in the ar se! Have you watched him this year? If the Caps aren't on the pp; he lollygags like nobodies business. If I was Teddy I'd be telling him he better start playing for his salary a lot better than this, or he can go back & play for any Olympic Team he wants in any year & stay there! 

[/QUOTE]

Its funny.  he comes into the league and dominates, hits, scores, plays with excitement and is all over the place.    Then he gets suspended for his hit on campbell and is also given the "C".   He also gets critized for losing, being excited after scoring and now for being a lazy player.  

Everything wrong with the capitals doesnt fall on his shoulders.  That back end is an AHL team minus alzner/Carlson.   Green is brutal in his own end.  That philly game where they got blown out early is a prime example of how everyteam should play green.   Orlov looks to be a pretty good young dman as well.  But that back end is brutal.  And the system obviously has major holes.  Special teams Oates shines.  But his total team system obviously has holes.  

When you get paid the money ovi gets paid a lot will be on him.  But the man is paid to score.  Hes scoring.  If they want him to block shots and be Bergie its not gonna happen.  They need a guy to come in and lead them.  Ovi is not a great captain.  

Get a good goalie to go with Holtby and get some mean dmen back there who take no prisoners.  They are the softest defense in the league.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

Caps win 3-2 last night.  Ovechkin is a -2.  On the first minus, he's where he should be.  Both Caps defensemen lose the puck and Brodie scores.

On the second minus, he's pressuring the point.  Backstrom leaves his position to follow the puck carries.  Ovechkin adjusts.  Phaneuf flicks one from the blue line that goes in.

Watch them both here.

Let me know what Ovechkin should have done differently to prevent either goal.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Its funny.  he comes into the league and dominates, hits, scores, plays with excitement and is all over the place.    Then he gets suspended for his hit on campbell and is also given the "C".   He also gets critized for losing, being excited after scoring and now for being a lazy player.  

Everything wrong with the capitals doesnt fall on his shoulders.  That back end is an AHL team minus alzner/Carlson.   Green is brutal in his own end.  That philly game where they got blown out early is a prime example of how everyteam should play green.   Orlov looks to be a pretty good young dman as well.  But that back end is brutal.  And the system obviously has major holes.  Special teams Oates shines.  But his total team system obviously has holes.  

When you get paid the money ovi gets paid a lot will be on him.  But the man is paid to score.  Hes scoring.  If they want him to block shots and be Bergie its not gonna happen.  They need a guy to come in and lead them.  Ovi is not a great captain.  

Get a good goalie to go with Holtby and get some mean dmen back there who take no prisoners.  They are the softest defense in the league.  

[/QUOTE]

I'm not placing blame all on him. I am placing blame on him because of his "laziness". He's horrible Shupe! Malkin has been having an off year too, but you don't see him floating around out there night after night. It's embarrassing to watch this guy make 10mill a season. Blame the d-men all you want, but that's a copout. Ovie has been a selfish/lazy hockey player this year. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

He's a goal scorer, and one of the best. Thats what he's paid to do. I agree with the defenseman part of it, if any team should have signed Ference or traded for Mark Stuart, it's the Caps.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]

They are the softest defense in the league.  

[/QUOTE]

Except for Erskine,they need about 2 more guys like him,maybe with a bit more skill.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Agree that Green is a mess in his own end, but is still only a -14.

Carlson is a -2

Alzner is -5.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

If the Caps defense were the main cause of Ovechkin's plus/minus being so high wouldn't their numbers reflect that also.

They don't.

There is nobody on the team that is in the same area code as him as far as the plus/minus stats go.

Some of you's are enamoured with his goal scoring. He is electric in that regard.

Obviously you don't pay much attention to how he plays without the puck. His floating style of playing defense is downright pitiful to watch.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Don-Bruino. Show Don-Bruino's posts

If I'm Leonsis, my instructions to McPhee would be this:

”Get rid of this guy (Ovi) before the draft or you are gone. At the same time get something going to get rid of Green. I don't want either one on my team or on my payroll next year."

Seriously!

Isn't it a great time to be a Bruins fan! Here we are advising other teams want they need to do; we can't complain about our team.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

His +/- is twice as bad as anyone else on the team (almost).  It can't always be someone else's fault. And as bad as Green and others are, would they actually be better if they had better support from the forwards? The second goal in the Leafs game, that's a bit of a hard luck goal but it illustrates my point.  Aren't both he and Backstrom at fault because they aren't really playing as a team?  Backstrom leaves his man and chases the puck.  Ovechkin chooses to switch, but takes a long, looping route to the other defenseman so that they both leave the shooting lane open for Phaneuf to flip the puck on net. No support, bad decision-making, and it gives the Laffs the opportunity to get a screened shot on goal.

NAS - are you serious on that first goal?  That perfectly illustrates nite's point!  Ovechkin skates over to force Phaneuf, and when Phaneuf gives up the puck, Ovechkin doesn't take another stride!  He glides from the offensive blueline back to his own zone while there's a 2 on 2 in progress.  Orlov pokes the puck away, and Ovechkin turns his back on the play while the puck is loose in the high slot and starts charging up ice!  When Bodie shoots, Ovechkin's not even in the zone!  Now, Bodie's not his man, and yeah, it's a 2 on 2, but the Leafs are changing their D pair.  There's no one for him to cover.  He's making no effort to apply back pressure at all.  He's not looking at the play - he's staring at the puck.  As soon as he sees it pop loose, he makes no effort to retrieve it.  Instead he hopes his linemate retrieves it (bad judgment considering a Leaf has inside position on him) so he can potentially take off for a scoring chance.

That's just terrible effort.  If he's applying any back-pressure at all, he's probably able to take Bodie off that puck.  To be fair, Backstrom's effort is just as foetid, but at least he's near the play.