Ovechkin is a -31. Repeat -31!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Re: Ovechkin is a -31. Repeat -31!

If I were the Caps I'd take a look at Kesler and defenseman like Orpik, Quincey..I too would look at trading Green..Gaborik would be a nice fit with Ovechkin.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If I were the Caps I'd take a look at Kesler and defenseman like Orpik, Quincey..I too would look at trading Green..Gaborik would be a nice fit with Ovechkin.

[/QUOTE]

Would be a good start for them,Kesler would be a help defensively and can put up some points,i think Orprick is a ufa as well.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Signing ott, giving up the first and third to sign oreilly, signing Boyle, and moving mike green would turn them into a quasi legit team in my eyes. Hopefully the combo of Ott oreilly and Boyle could whip ovechkin into shape.

[/QUOTE]

A contract over $6.2M annually will cost two first round picks, a second and a third.  Considering that, on Colorado, he's tied for third in points, tied for first in goals and is only 23 years old, I'm going to guess he'll come in above that mark.

Also, why are you hoping the Caps get better?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Tocchet! Now there's someone who wouldn't have a problem grabbing Ovie by the throat! 

[/QUOTE]

I don't think it's the coach alone, I think that the team has to have a good work ethic and they together must put pressure on everyone to back check.  But some guys just refuse to do it.  

As much as Marco has ignored this, I will point again to Recchi's comment about 99% of the guys and the pushing and shoving incident between Chara and Kessel.  And along the same lines, when Thornton collared Seguin and threatened to throw him a beating.

Well documented.

I'll say again for the 40 billionth time, yes, Seguin and Kessel and Ovi are extremely gifted performers.  The problem is that the ice is tilted 45 degrees to the offensive zone for Kessel and Ovi.  Problem with Seguin is that he makes it look like he's willing to get into the dirty areas, but he makes sure he doesn't get his hands dirty.

You have to play both ends of the ice to win the Stanley Cup nowadays.

Marco, you don't get that.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

The simple fact is, Ovie is to hockey what Raphael Palmiero was to baseball. Would rather hit a homer/score a goal in a loss than go 0'fer in a win.

Consumate "me first" players, both.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

6.728 million for that kind of compensation this year nas, it will be a higher aav next year, probably over 7 mill. I dont see oreilly getting 7+. I don't want washington to get better, I was having a discussion as to what it would take.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to shuperman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Signing rfa Ryan oreilly would be a great move for the caps in the off season

[/QUOTE]

Yeah he would be.  And the caps have space on the cap to make this kinda move.  He would be the 2nd line center they so badly need.   

Great thought.  

[/QUOTE]

I don't know about O'Reilly, he is a good young player with some offensive skill but he's not very gritty if thats what the Caps need,he's more like a Lady Byng candidate.Ott would help though and they could also make a deal with the B's for Miller or McQuad if they need a stay at home,tough d-man.

[/QUOTE]

He isn't going to kill anyone but he's responsible, and provides some leadership (or so i think)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from OrrandShore. Show OrrandShore's posts

FACE IT - With a -31 he would be down in Providence if he were a Bruin.

NHL has too many stars, not enough winners---Ovi, Nash, the Sedins, etc. the list is endless.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Signing ott, giving up the first and third to sign oreilly, signing Boyle, and moving mike green would turn them into a quasi legit team in my eyes. Hopefully the combo of Ott oreilly and Boyle could whip ovechkin into shape.

[/QUOTE]

A contract over $6.2M annually will cost two first round picks, a second and a third.  Considering that, on Colorado, he's tied for third in points, tied for first in goals and is only 23 years old, I'm going to guess he'll come in above that mark.

Also, why are you hoping the Caps get better?

[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure that the Avs are wanting to sign O'Reilly and let Stastny go to market instead.  

If not, I think they'll have 20 teams "kicking the tires", and somebody is going to overpay, probably by a lot.  

He's a an all-situations player who at 23 would probably be team captain if he didn't hold out.  He a health/fitness nut, and everyone raves about him.  I have never, ever, seen someone who competes as hard as he does (with loads of takeaways), without taking ANY penalties.  It's uncanny.

More than a little like Bergeron, and a lot younger.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]

6.728 million for that kind of compensation this year nas, it will be a higher aav next year, probably over 7 mill. I dont see oreilly getting 7+. I don't want washington to get better, I was having a discussion as to what it would take.

[/QUOTE]

A team that needs a great young player could use O'Reilly.  Considering the cap space some have (come on Florida!), it would make sense to offer a player like O'Reilly that money.

Yes, $6.7 not $6.2.  My error.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure that the Avs are wanting to sign O'Reilly and let Stastny go to market instead.  

If not, I think they'll have 20 teams "kicking the tires", and somebody is going to overpay, probably by a lot.  

He's a an all-situations player who at 23 would probably be team captain if he didn't hold out.  He a health/fitness nut, and everyone raves about him.  I have never, ever, seen someone who competes as hard as he does (with loads of takeaways), without taking ANY penalties.  It's uncanny.

More than a little like Bergeron, and a lot younger.

[/QUOTE]

And getting better Fletch. Everytime I watch him he sticks out more and more. Really like his game.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]

I don't know about O'Reilly, he is a good young player with some offensive skill but he's not very gritty if thats what the Caps need,he's more like a Lady Byng candidate.Ott would help though and they could also make a deal with the B's for Miller or McQuad if they need a stay at home,tough d-man.

[/QUOTE]

No 50, he is 'gritty'.  People see his PIM totals and think he's a softy Lady-Bing guy.  Not so!

He leads all NHL players in takeways.  That takes grit.

77 takeaways and 0 PIMs.  I can't imagine that stat differential has even been seen.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No 50, he is 'gritty'.  People see his PIM totals and think he's a softy Lady-Bing guy.  Not so!

77 takeaways and 0 PIMs.  I can't imagine that stat differential has even been seen.

[/QUOTE]

He is gritty, and his skating has improved..He's almost an in your face type of player but he's smart about it. Fletch, I'm impressed at how he'll have a take away and turn it into offense very quickly.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:[QUOTE]

I don't think it's the coach alone [/QUOTE]

Coaching is not the problem in Washington. Carlson and Alzner are the only Dmen worth a damn on  the Capitals. McPhee is awful and he gave Oates nothing.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]

He is gritty, and his skating has improved..He's almost an in your face type of player but he's smart about it. Fletch, I'm impressed at how he'll have a take away and turn it into offense very quickly.

[/QUOTE]

That's part of the reason he reminds me of Bergeorn kel -- he just seems to always take the right angle, and instead of throwing checks he uses his body and stick to take the puck away pretty deftly.  And because he takes the right angle, he often steals pucks with some momentum.  Then if he finds Duckene or MacKinnon breaking out, it's off to the races.  He gets his nose dirty the same way Bergeron does and frequently seems to outmaneuver people.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Coaching is not the problem in Washington. Carlson and Alzner are the only Dmen worth a damn on  the Capitals. McPhee is awful and he gave Oates nothing.

[/QUOTE]

Agreed with that.  

Oates appears to be getting the Randy Cunneyworth shot at head coaching...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yeah,like i say he's a good young player and would even like him on the B's.Have watched him lots and is a responsible player and not afraid of the physical play,i guess its just misleading with the 2 penalty minutes,unheard of really.Like Denis Potvin said a couple weeks ago when the Avs played Ottawa,2 penalty mins from a player like O'Reilly?thats unheard of,hard to explain.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That's part of the reason he reminds me of Bergeorn kel -- he just seems to always take the right angle, and instead of throwing checks he uses his body and stick to take the puck away pretty deftly.  And because he takes the right angle, he often steals pucks with some momentum.  Then if he finds Duckene or MacKinnon breaking out, it's off to the races.  He gets his nose dirty the same way Bergeron does and frequently seems to outmaneuver people.

[/QUOTE]

Thats the type of player that can win the Lady Byng though, add in some decent offensive totals and he could win one down the line.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Thats the type of player that can win the Lady Byng though, add in some decent offensive totals and he could win one down the line.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, and I agree that he will probably win the Lady Bing, this year.  He should.  I just don't think that should cause any misconceptions about how he plays.  He doesn't avoid contact or physical play, so much as he just does it so deftly that big hits and penalties are avoided.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Apparently he blew it last game - he now has 2 PiM.  How does a guy play 73 games and get 2 PiM and not have the nickname "Charmin"?

Just for the record, and I find this almost MORE incredible, Rob Scuderi now has the most games played for any player with 0 PiM on the season.  Seems impossible that you could play D and still have 0 PiM.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from chetgnat. Show chetgnat's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Green fits perfectly with an Ovechkin team. I wouldn't want anything to do with either of them. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Apparently he blew it last game - he now has 2 PiM.  How does a guy play 73 games and get 2 PiM and not have the nickname "Charmin"?

Just for the record, and I find this almost MORE incredible, Rob Scuderi now has the most games played for any player with 0 PiM on the season.  Seems impossible that you could play D and still have 0 PiM.

[/QUOTE]

Aaaahh, missed that.  

I'm going to watch him play the Rags in a few hours, and I'll be screaming 'Charmin' every time he touches the puck.

Can't believe Scuderi either.  Always thought of him as a solid, but slow footed type D-man, who you'd expect to take a bunch of penalties.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Agreed with that.  

Oates appears to be getting the Randy Cunneyworth shot at head coaching...

[/QUOTE]

What system is in place in the history of the league has your best 2 players as -50+.  Oates can put a pp together.  His game plans of getting outshot each game can be controlled with a good system.  Realize that i am not a huge guy on the +/- stat.  But this is disgusting.  

they hired a passive personality to try and control a guy who is a coach killer.   I love ovi, defend him to death...but his play at even strength is terrible.   

i agree on the defense.   Completely agree.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

What system is in place in the history of the league has your best 2 players as -50+.  Oates can put a pp together.  His game plans of getting outshot each game can be controlled with a good system.  Realize that i am not a huge guy on the +/- stat.  But this is disgusting.  

they hired a passive personality to try and control a guy who is a coach killer.   I love ovi, defend him to death...but his play at even strength is terrible.   

i agree on the defense.   Completely agree.  

[/QUOTE]

To be clear, I'm not saying Oates is a good coach or that he's doing a good job.

I'm saying that he's inherited a terribly constructed roster, including a horribly porous D, and he'll probably lose his very short window as head coach very soon.  

I know Hunter did better with a similar type of roster, short term.  I just think that Oates is pretty far down the line of things to point at when doing a 'blame line-up' in Washington.  And I think he'll be gone before he gets much of a chance to be a coach.